Deleted

What happend with Frost bomb for PvE?!?

Yesterday my guild was at Spoils 25H. This was farm boss but whatsoever we had some problemsand end up spending all the night trying ot kill it...
    I got so sick of that multidoting everything that move with nether tempest that i just enraged after the XX wipe that i switched my bomb talent to frost just for the funsyzies and gigglez. I swer to god i had so much easy time and had fun with it. I saw several crits from the Frost bomb that were 1mln+ and some of them trigered Multistrike... god it was fun view. I remembered the time when i actualy used that talent as my bomb choice for T14 and i was pulling some nice numbers with it, so much that actualy once after i accidently got spot in alt run for HoF of one of the best 10man guild on my server back then the guys wanted me to join them (well they were actualy desperatly looking for a mage to recruit idk why) :P

As some might already know i am highly against that multidoting thing the nether tempest have become after ToT "buffs", so my question is

Why Frost bomb is so unviable for PvE?

I hope someone can give intresting answer to this :P

P.S. im asking this because i somewhat became bored with all the LB+FA/NT+MA switching fiasko ^-^

P.S.2 well i guess the answer for this will be "dat dot snapshooting" fiasko too, however i would like ot hear some other opinions m.(^-^).b
    Last edited by mmoc0c907153ea; 2014-01-24 at 08:18 AM.

Well you can't snap shot it like LB/NT.

It's gong to be pretty bad when you don't have a massive pack of mobs up.

Can sometimes be funky in the rotation, being unable to use it right as it comes off CD.

Pretty bad on fights with movement - can't refresh/multi dot on the move with it.

I mean it has it's uses, H immers and H siege are 2 fight I love it on, but otherwise it's pretty awful.

Just because it is worse than the other bombs doesn't mean it's terrible. It's great for challenge modes if you are frost because you can freeze the mobs right before it blows to crit them all. Like Xiun said it's not as easy to use on CD and unless there are a bunch of mobs it just does less damage overall. I haven't tried it as arcane but you get so much out of being able to multi dot as arcane I just can't see ever using frost bomb. This is a small thing but there are a few trinkets that only proc off dot ticks and fire is the only spec with a dot thats not nether tempest or living bomb.

Herald of the Titans Kuni Zyrekai's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Outside of the lolmultidot deal arcane has, it's viable. Last I checked it's 2% behind LB for single target DPS. You do give up the absurdity that is arcane multidot, as well as the ability to damage things outside of the small explosion radius.

I use it on Immerseus

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuni Zyrekai View Post
    Outside of the lolmultidot deal arcane has, it's viable. Last I checked it's 2% behind LB for single target DPS. You do give up the absurdity that is arcane multidot, as well as the ability to damage things outside of the small explosion radius.
    Well since i started playing mage in WotLK i have always believed that the mages are not ment to cleave as the other classes and specs are able to and if i remember it right that was true back then. The mage class, and especialy the arcane spec, was (in my eyes) pure single target dps. If you wanted something to die fast in the crowd of adds your mage was one of the best choices for doing that. Or atleast that's what were my assingmets back then - "Kill mob X then do w/e you want" x)

All that cheesing dps with cleaves has got out of hand in my opinion.
    I actualy think that this is the only spell in that talent tier that actualy fit the mage concept, as i understand it, and it totaly fit its name "Bomb" - you cast it on your target and it explode after few seconds, an Arcane barrage in its nature just with delayed effect. Fire bomb doesnt have any "bomb" effect in it anymore after the nerf and it become a classic style dot... i believe the "explosion" deals less dmg than the ticks, even tho its not under the AoE "rule" with diminishing vaulues over 10 targets, but lets face it only maybe immersius can offer situations with more than 10 targets :P

Deleted
    It's amazing on Immerseus indeed. On spoils I guess it would depend but it shouldn't be bad at all. It also scales amusingly with haste. If you go full Akraen it essentially starts being spammable. Which has funny results in aoe.

The simplest answer.. It has a cast time. It's still ok in AoE fights, but with you not being able to get 12 second bonus benefit from snapshotting, just makes it pointless to use.

Fire mages in wrath and cata had tons of cleave. Their recent design changes have been to make it so there is no huge benefit to playing one spec over the other. I don't really like it either but if mages couldn't multi dot there would be less of them than there is now. Everyone can cleave now so that no one feels left out.

It has a strict cooldown. DoTs on the other hand can be cast before their last tick.
    It has cast time, bombs can be cast on the move.
    With high haste values Frost Bomb cooldown decreases significanlt and it begins to decrease overall time player casts nukes. Performance drops the most on Heroism

It has a cd AND a cast time so it can't be used while moving. Mobs have to be stacked for it to cleave. You can't multidot with it. Adds are on almost every single boss in SoO. It isn't the best single target. Only good for mass aoe. Why would you use it outside of very niche situations? You wouldn't. Not to mention that the bomb was cursed from the start because of frost pvp. It just doesn't stack up against the current way the game actually plays
    Last edited by Erolian; 2014-01-25 at 06:02 AM.

Frost bomb needs to be instant. There is no reason for a cast time - it doesn't even do damage until it explodes.

Also, would love to see it able to be applied on multiple targets, though this goes against what blizz said about not having to multi-dot next expansion.

It's a DAT - Damage After Time.

The way this game is designed, DATs are just terrible. Sure you saw some 1m crits, but with some mobs spread out you can't cast them at all, and what if the thing dies without any other mobs around it before your bomb explodes?

Death Knights have loathed their DAT execute ability, it's really wonky and awkward as well. It just doesn't fit with how the gameplay of wow is designed.

I'd only reccomend using it on H Immerseus and H Siegecrafter Blackfuse and then only if you're doing a strategy that has mines come out every wave.

Deleted
    Well i agree that in SoO conditions it might be a bit sucky, but come on ... that bomb was like The best choice in t14 in my opinion, never make it to SoO, but i mean why there wasnt some implementation like on living bomb and nehter tempest... you know... "deals 60% to players" etc.
    On the point of snap shooting - i havent really tested it at all or even payed attention to it, but i think the damage done when explodes is the moment that decide what willl be the damage done, not when you cast it. Correct me if im wrong.
    It has cast time and what? You cant multidot adds on the run? In my expirience a decent mage, well atleast arcane one, will try to minimaze movement by positioning right during the fight and precasting runes and just blink in them. Second - Icy flows?!? thats a stupid excuse. I actualy like how it changed my rotation.
    Adds spreaded?!? Really?!? I mean really?!? The tanks "pick" them so fast, and if u have smart rouge/hunter, in 5 to 10 seconds maximum the adds are staked on the tank and ready to cleave...
    DK's soulreaper... that thing is not bad at all and cant be compared to this at all... its their excute mechanic, it can be coupled with obliterate/frost strike so its actualy like a burst to kill the need add faster, and even if the target dies before it "proced" there is still "reward" for that case so its not total waste...
    Last edited by mmoc0c907153ea; 2014-01-27 at 08:17 PM.

yeah there are ways to use frost bomb that make it less annoying but giving up multidotting as an arcane mage is not a great idea for more than just being able to cast them on the move. The biggest problem everyone has with it is right now you have a lot of haste and it comes up all the time and gets in the way of your rotation and on top of that it does less damage in almost every circumstance. I'm not saying you CAN'T use it but for most mages, myself included, there are too many benefits to using the other two bombs.

Quote Originally Posted by Deithy View Post
    In my expirience a decent mage, well atleast arcane one, will try to minimaze movement by positioning right during the fight and precasting runes and just blink in them.
    I would use the GCD from casting my own bomb to move inside the old rune if at all possible.