Thread: russians

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MCBGamer View Post
    THE SOLUTION TO THIS PROBLEM IS NOT TO COMPLAIN: The solution is an ingame automatic translation based on the clients chosen native language.
    If Blizzard could deliver a -fully inmersive, fully working, fully featured- translation feature, they surely would. I doubt they can, seeing as they can only provide a handful of languages on their clients, and continually need to revisit translations:
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/de/forum/878885/
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/es/forum/880075/
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/fr/forum/879214/
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/it/forum/3887617/
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/ru/forum/896179/
    And that's just Europe (pt doesn't have one -yet-). I think this goes to show how perfect translations would need to be. In those threads you can read about people discussing very minute things, from translating or not the name of Moon-Moon, to discussions on cupcake-making and the implications it has on a languaje, to minuscule utilization of adverbs, commas to suggest different meanings and keep the spirit of the game as intact as it can be; all while providing inmersion like I've never seen in other translated games.

Since Blizzard is not Google, and Google doesn't really provide the excruciating perfection wow players seek -they're good, just not that good-, I don't think Blizzard can deliver on this one. Failing that, I think the next best option is to treat one another as equal human beings and embrace the fact that we live in a big world, with different people, different opinions, different cultures and languages; and cope with it.

edit

[...]When you are in a BG or in a dungeon you don't stop, minimize, go to Google, translate a sentence, then come back [...]. You do not do that. I do not do that, and no one else does either.
    I do. The idea is you do it once and remember it. After all, there's only about 10 to 15 sentences worth understanding in a BG; many terms are even the same -dps stands for dps in most(?) languages-. Also, realms with players whose main/first languages are not the same usually have some forum thread where all those sentences are already translated:
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/es/forum/topic/6635414932 (English terms for Spanish speakers). Note this is the hard way round, given the extreme amount of acronyms used by English speakers.
    takes 15 minutes to learn per language on a potato-like slow mind.
    Last edited by nextormento; 2014-01-25 at 10:05 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mainman View Post
    can someone please tell me why in 30% of the bgs I enter im playing Russian teams and target calling is impossible why cant they play v themselves, its not so much that they win its just so annoying cos usually im fast enough to type "name" but with Russians I have no chance of even trying to spell 1 cheers
    next season russian names will be translated when in RBGs

Quote Originally Posted by Medium9 View Post
    [...]
    If I didn't think you were worth responding to, I certainly wouldn't have: I'm not >that< kind. I think I was very specific when I said 'your wording can be constructed as xenophobic'; do what you may with that: I certainly would try and impose enough rigor to my own discourse as to avoid such a conversation pitfall. You may not be able to fully detach from stereotypes and other stigmas, but embracing them doesn't sound neither sensible nor sensitive on this matter. As an aside, on derailed threads, I'd consider -without a doubt- that the person responsible for derailment was the one that wasn't able to speak without offending some hefty percentage of the world population: partly because, while everybody is entitled to their opinion, opinions unable to try and be half-decent are not worth the bandwidth. Again: take what you may; it's your choice.

Your concern is truly worth taking a time to consider. And discussing about it. As far as to be worth to take action within the game, I doubt it; but it's noted that you feel ever so slightly less comfortable. I do, however find it odd that you learned a second language, but refuse to learn a few sentences in another; I respect it: it's your time, your choice, and you decide what to learn and what not. It simply seems all too arbitrary to hop through some loop and not the -far easier- other.

Servers -again- have a language associated with them because that's the language the support will be given as: both the GMs and the server-related strings that you get from time to time (the little news section you get when you log in: 'welcome to the so and so patch'). It never enforced players to speak any language: not in Classic, not in BC, not ever. To do so would be absurd. Can't I be allowed to have and advertise in a public chat a Klingon-only speaking guild in a German server?. Players in German/Spanish/Italian/etc. servers have (had?) the *illusion* that this is so because rarely you would see a non German speaker in a German server. I wonder, where do non English speakers form, say, Croatia play? and what language do they use in trade chat? in English realms, and they use Croatian, and they have all the right to do so. Why would a French/Russian server not be treated in the same way? well they aren't, and never were. Anyone complaining about people speaking on something they don't understand are worth next to 0 consideration, as long as it doesn't affect their game: which is weakly your case; but your case can be easily solved, through what humans do best: socialize.

As for your thoughts about me being content with every single barrier life throws at me. Well, you got the wrong person. Sorry. I'd love for the game to feature more clients in different languages; and to have better default support for every alphabet (it does for Cyrillic now btw). And I do think some kind of -optional and non default- transliteration would help. It just so happens that the options present now on your issue (being paired with people you don't want to make the effort to communicate with) are 2: you cope with the world, and its different persons and languages or you don't. And far from suggesting you to quit the game (why would I do that?), I'm actually trying to help out.
    Last edited by nextormento; 2014-01-25 at 11:21 PM.

In a game, made by an american company, russians are the ones who adapt.* If I so badly wanted to play a russian made game, I'd probably be very willing to learn russian, since I put myself there and it was my choice. End of story.

*) or even if they are in a pool of players, in which they are a minority.
    Blizzard belonging to a french company, next expansion will be in french worldwide

I will go ahead and say it again, since this thread is still filled with people going "STOP BEING RACIST"
    Or you could just take a few minutes and learn a bit of the Cyrillic alphabet. I don't understand any Russian at all, but I went on the Internet, took a few minutes to learn, and found out that Cyrillic and Latin are actually pretty close and you can say out the Russian names decently after that.

If Russians learn the Latin alphabet, then I don't see anything wrong to act in kind and learn some Cyrillic. It's not like you are being forced to learn Chinese lol. Who knows, maybe learning a bit of Cyrillic will come in handy later in your life.

Europeans, how much bots do play on yoyr side? It's ridiculous. I see restodruid, start punching him into face, and he stands still and CASTS 3seconds-spells.
    And one hour later I check european forums and see people complaining about russians with instainterrupts and cheats.

10+ Year Old Account
    There ain't such thing as shitty geared russian in random BGs.

Am I the only one that's happy that we bg vs russians now?

It's a blessing for honor gearing my alts.

I have yet to lose a single game against them, they're so bad, they make the general EU alliance we normally fight against look like glads.

The only downsides are how laggy they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Emophia View Post
    Am I the only one that's happy that we bg vs russians now?

It's a blessing for honor gearing my alts.

I have yet to lose a single game against them, they're so bad, they make the general EU alliance we normally fight against look like glads.

The only downsides are how laggy they are.
    Every thread in the PVP forum should have one of these posts, I think. Boasting about how great you are because nobody can verify anything you say, so sweet. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by rda View Post
    Every thread in the PVP forum should have one of these posts, I think. Boasting about how great you are because nobody can verify anything you say, so sweet. :-)
    I never said I was good, just that the russians are bad. So very bad, that if we put it in raiding terms russian alliance would be lfr, and normal eu alliance teams we go up against would be hc.

You seem mad.

Infracted
    Last edited by Nicola; 2014-01-27 at 07:20 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Alright, 2 things I want to say:
    1) Nation bashing is not allowed.
    2) Be nice to each other.

Quote Originally Posted by soulyouth View Post
    Are Russians the Brazilians of the EU ?

It's pretty bad on the US servers, language barrier is a pain in the ass
    Agree on the language barrier

Deleted
    nothing against the Russian bratushki, its fun to play against them at BG, sadly they have more bots then ever and usually its quick win for horde in Stormscale EU, the issue is when u get a team with no bots all above 480k hp with 4 moonkins that take 0 damage...fun times....

You know, I am russian, and it's fun to kick eupopean butts(no racism and offence here)(however it's more fun to read eu battle.net crying about untargetable and unkillable russians and warriors that use stealth and aimed shot).
    What I hope for, that EU will wine a lot about botting, and blizz wil take action against russian bots, because it's ridiculous to see fishing bots, mining and herb bots, archeology bots, pvp bots everywhere.
    Can't tell anything about autokick bots, since I am ww monk, but I often react to any casting and kick caster in first 0.3-0.5 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by rda View Post
    You are typing names in a bg??? And you want that to be fast??
    He probably does an inspect too and writes all the details in a little book

Deleted
    Sorry for digging but you do realise that some of those you linked are actually legit good players who have achieved high rankings in the past aswell (and not by wintrading/exploiting)?

Deleted
    I know it's a quick fix, but if you want someone to react your text, try typing %t and target the person in the raid. Game will insert the target name. Also, you could make some macros like "%t, get the enemy flag! / иди вражеский флаг!"

.. or something

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Anufis View Post
    Can't tell anything about autokick bots, since I am ww monk, but I often react to any casting and kick caster in first 0.3-0.5 seconds.
    Just went up against a russian premade and a warrior,enh and dk were all repeatedly interrupting me before i'd even finished releasing the key to cast a spell, you could call that fast reactions or you could call it what it is.

i have encountered russian horde bgs and they suck...i haven't lost against them ever!

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pateuvasiliu View Post
    I do not play WoW anymore, but I know your pain, as I play DotA and League.

Russians plague the place. They do not speak English and spam you with their funny language ( I'm Romanian and to me Russian sounds really really funny, because it's what I sound like in Romanian when I'm horribly drunk ).

Either way, they should make non-english bannable on english servers as far as I'm concerned.
    They're always like that. In all games. I've met one or two nice ones but most of the time, even if you just ask them to please speak english, they'll make "your mom" insults at best.

When I was an admin for a DayZ (Epoch mod of the mod) server, eventually, we started auto-banning russians. They never read the rules, because they couldn't read english. They never responded to communcation from other players, because they didn't speak english. And a VAST majority of the hackers we had to ban, were russian.

I have an overall extremely negative experience with Russians in gaming.