Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    You can have gnome druids can we get forsaken druids with plagued animal forms?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dasani View Post
    Personally, I've always felt class/race combo restrictions made no sense at all.

What's to stop a human from learning how to be a druid from the night elves? Or who is to say a draenei couldn't decide to be a warlock when they are already closely tied to such things and capable of learning it. They've already eased up some of the more retarded restrictions like human hunters and blood elf warriors, but still.

If an undead can use holy light powers to be a priest, there is no reason they can't do the same to be a paladin. Etc.

Race/class restrictions simply doesn't make sense because even if "gnomes" as a race, on the whole, aren't very in tune with nature or whatever, it's ridiculous to say that a few of them wouldn't want to be or learn how to be when apparently it's so easy for other races. They could even justify it robotical nonsense if need be, but still. It's silly.

Only problem with making druids and shamans of all classes would be the models for the different forms and totems for each race. Blizzard wouldn't reuse models, especially companion pet models with very low poly counts.

Thats how I feel at least.
    The class/race restrictions exist for mostly lore reasons, and Blizzard has always (and more than likely probably always will be) been extremely protective of the lore of the Warcraft universe. The Gnome lore and the Druid lore have literally no correlation - Paladin and Gnome makes far more sense lore wise than Druid does.

Gnomes show little to no respect to the forest, which I'm sure Cenarius (The patron and god of all druids) wouldn't necessarily like.

Quote Originally Posted by Anticaster View Post
    You can have gnome druids can we get forsaken druids with plagued animal forms?
    I think that should happen. Also, Human Paladins (in training of course) who fell to the plague are resurrected as Forsaken Paladins of Lordaeron. Would also like to see Blood Elf Druids since they obviously share a lineage with Night Elves. Race/class combo locks are a thing of the past. It is time Blizz removed the lock and let people play what they want to play. I know someone who would roll a Draenei warlock in a heartbeat.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by StenchSlash View Post
    Gnomes show little to no respect to the forest, which I'm sure Cenarius (The patron and god of all druids) wouldn't necessarily like.
    Please, show me a nature location destroyed by Gnomes. I will show you a hundred destroyed by Goblins. Yet they can commune with animals as hunters and the elements as Shaman. Your logic is flawed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Tinker View Post
    Please, show me a nature location destroyed by Gnomes. I will show you a hundred destroyed by Goblins. Yet they can commune with animals as hunters and the elements as Shaman. Your logic is flawed.
    I never implied that they destroyed a forest, I implied that they don't have much respect for the forest - at least as much that is required to be a druid.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Superman-BladesEdge View Post
    While I agree Lore is important, there are a few classes which had to bend the lore, and dang near break it just to happen. Night Elf mages, and Undead Holy Priests to name a few. According to gameplay, they are holy priests, yet according to "Lore", they are primarily shadow magic yet it "burns them" whenever they use holy power. If lore is that important, maybe the priest should take physical damage when specc'd into holy. As for Night elves, they cast out their arcane brethren 10k years ago for practicing with arcane magics. But, when some dude shows up just before Deathwing and says "Hey, you need us", bam, all is forgiven. In any other MMO or fantasy book, it has always been understood Dwarves hate magic. Yet in WoW, you have priests, magi, warlocks, and now monks who use mystical arts. A happy dwarf wears plate, swings an axe, and drinks ale. But yeah, Lore is more important
    If you actually paid attention, you'd know that first of all; Yes, an undead holy priest does indeed hurt himself by using the Holy Light, however what good is a healer that dies when trying to heal - apply some logic here.

Secondly, if you'd noticed the Night Elf mages added in the pre-Cataclysm patch, you'd know that they are *not* forgiven, not even remotely - they are however, needed and allowed to teach the Arcane.

Thirdly, this isn't any other fantasy book or MMO, it's WoW; Blizzard's own universe ergo their lore, their rules and their collective understanding, don't apply Tolkien'esque rules to a non-Tolkien'esque game - again apply logic.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by StenchSlash View Post
    The class/race restrictions exist for mostly lore reasons, and Blizzard has always (and more than likely probably always will be) been extremely protective of the lore of the Warcraft universe. The Gnome lore and the Druid lore have literally no correlation - Paladin and Gnome makes far more sense lore wise than Druid does.

He's not the "God of all druids", he's not even an actual god... Nor the patron of all druids.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

No matter how it's spun to me, Gnome Druids are just one of those class/race combos I can't ever see happening, right up along there with Draenei Warlock and Tauren Rogue.

While I suppose it's possible for a Gnome to try to farcically replicate a druid's shapeshifting forms, that's not being a druid. At most, that's being a specialized steam warrior. The fact that any gnome would need to try to fabricate druidic powers to begin with is proof enough that druidism would not fit them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    If you actually paid attention, you'd know that first of all; Yes, an undead holy priest does indeed hurt himself by using the Holy Light, however what good is a healer that dies when trying to heal - apply some logic here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wowpedia
    Some Forsaken priests continue to wield the Holy Light.[22][29] While it is possible for them to use or be healed by the Light to its full effect like any living humanoid, it is accompanied by intense pain, making it require notable willpower to suffer through.[32] Though painful, this does not cause any actual harm or damage on their undead bodies, even over long periods of time. In fact, some Forsaken with persistent contact with the Light over many years have even started to experience a return of their senses, which is not a pleasant experience given their rotted state.[7]
    They wouldn't die. Try again?

- - - Updated - - -

He's not the "God of all druids", he's not even an actual god... Nor the patron of all druids.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wowpedia
    Cenarius, Lord of the Forest and patron god of all druids, is one of the most powerful and influential demigods of Azeroth.
    Geez, man...

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CalamityHeart View Post
    No matter how it's spun to me, Gnome Druids are just one of those class/race combos I can't ever see happening, right up along there with Draenei Warlock and Tauren Rogue.

While I suppose it's possible for a Gnome to try to farcically replicate a druid's shapeshifting forms, that's not being a druid. At most, that's being a specialized steam warrior. The fact that any gnome would need to try to fabricate druidic powers to begin with is proof enough that druidism would not fit them.

- - - Updated - - -

They wouldn't die. Try again?

- - - Updated - - -

Geez, man...
    ... They'd die in game, since their healing would hurt themselves - that was my point.

And I can guarantee you that troll druids do not see Cenarius as their patron or "god", the wowpedia article was written prior to troll and worgen druids entering the game, nor do Druids of the Flame see him as such.

Blood Knight (Lore) - Paladin (Gameplay) - Race: Blood Elf
    Sun Walker (Lore) - Paladin (Gameplay) - Race: Tauren

According to Lore, Paladins work with the Light. According to Lore, these Paladins bend the light and use the sun to mirror what actual paladins do.

I understand the concern to keep the Lore above the Gameplay, but when the two are already diluted, it seems best just to pull back the curtain and let people play their favorite race/class as a combo.

- - - Updated - - -

don't apply Tolkien'esque rules to a non-Tolkien'esque game - again apply logic.

I am likely not the first to see the comparisons. Also, the homage paid to LotR in WoW is overwhelming. It is not a far stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorbus View Post
    I recall it was Deathwing who blasted that volcano with a fireball, causing destruction of the Isle of Kezan.. Could be wrong?
    In early beta it was goblins who nuked Mount Kezan. (But anyway he was talking about gnomes and Gnomeregan imo)

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account

According to Lore, Paladins work with the Light. According to Lore, these Paladins bend the light and use the sun to mirror what actual paladins do.

I understand the concern to keep the Lore above the Gameplay, but when the two are already diluted, it seems best just to pull back the curtain and let people play their favorite race/class as a combo.

- - - Updated - - -

I am likely not the first to see the comparisons. Also, the homage paid to LotR in WoW is overwhelming. It is not a far stretch.
    One thing is looks, another is content. Just because LotR dwarves act one way, doesn't mean that all other dwarves should act the same, assuming such is absurd.

Deleted
    I'm a huge proponent for Pandaren druids (just think about it, the Celestials they more or less worship all fill the niches of the druid roles perfectly and their forms could reflect that) and I'm always willing to listen to ideas on new race combos. And this one - I actually like it.

We'd have to be a little more inventive on the Moonkin, treeform and aquatic forms though. If you're going to build it around a technological idea, then go all out. Mechanical bear, mechanical cat, mechanical boomkin - etc etc, you get the idea.

You could argue that it's an Iron Man thing - the gnome jumps into his Dimensional Robotic Utility Interface Device (I fucking love that), which transforms like a... well, a transformer, to fit the form.

Only thing - something like this HAVE to be mirrored by the Goblins. Not only for class choice balance, but for the technological aspect of it.

I fully support this!

Pandaren and Gnomes/Goblins for new Druid races!

... They'd die in game, since their healing would hurt themselves - that was my point.

And I can guarantee you that troll druids do not see Cenarius as their patron or "god", the wowpedia article was written prior to troll and worgen druids entering the game, nor do Druids of the Flame see him as such.
    Did you read the quote I posted about Undead and the Holy Light? They wouldn't die in lore, nor would they die in game. They just feel a lot of pain. People assume this means they die if they use the Light long enough, but that's not canon. It says right in the quote, the pain doesn't cause them actual harm. It just hurts. Therefore, they need to be dedicated to what they do and durable and willful enough to endure that pain. Show me one irrefutable instance of a Forsaken priest dying from "overuse of the Light", and I'll concede.

Furthermore, there are troll members of the Cenarion Circle, and as far as I've seen, trolls (the Darkspear at least), learned druidism from tauren, who claim to have learned druidism from Cenarius. I think it's safe to say that, whether they see his as one or not, Cenarius is a god (or demigod, same difference), and that enough druids owe their abilities directly to him to merit him being a "patron".

One thing is looks, another is content. Just because LotR dwarves act one way, doesn't mean that all other dwarves should act the same, assuming such is absurd.
    Perception is everything. If it looks like a duck, and sounds like a duck, most people don't just assume it is a chicken.

Oh gawd make it stawp. No more class/race homogenization. Tauren paladins are WRONG. Night Elf mages are WRONG. Gnome druids are WRONG. Stop.

Gnome druids?Hell no

Quote Originally Posted by Ixuzcc View Post
    the gnome jumps into his Dimensional Robotic Utility Interface Device (I fucking love that), which transforms like a... well, a transformer, to fit the form.
    I liked that too. It would be awesome to see a full mechanical suit which takes on animal forms and replicates Nature magic.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dermont View Post
    Oh gawd make it stawp. No more class/race homogenization. Tauren paladins are WRONG. Night Elf mages are WRONG. Gnome druids are WRONG. Stop.
    Sunwalkers does feel a bit shoehorned in but I can see it. Night Elf mages aren't wrong per se, in the old days of Nightelfdom they were just shunned. These be soem new times, yo.

Gnome Druids is a stretch but I still enjoy the idea.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Did you read the quote I posted about Undead and the Holy Light? They wouldn't die in lore, nor would they die in game. They just feel a lot of pain. People assume this means they die if they use the Light long enough, but that's not canon. It says right in the quote, the pain doesn't cause them actual harm. It just hurts. Therefore, they need to be dedicated to what they do and durable and willful enough to endure that pain. Show me one irrefutable instance of a Forsaken priest dying from "overuse of the Light", and I'll concede.

Furthermore, there are troll members of the Cenarion Circle, and as far as I've seen, trolls (the Darkspear at least), learned druidism from tauren, who claim to have learned druidism from Cenarius. I think it's safe to say that, whether they see his as one or not, Cenarius is a god (or demigod, same difference), and that enough druids owe their abilities directly to him to merit him being a "patron".

Clearly you haven't read a thing about troll druidism. They learned it from a raptor loa imprisoned in the Emerald Dream (Nightmare), Zen'tabra tells you as much. They do not worship Cenarius, nor is he a God, but a Demi-God (which means half-god, huge difference, basic latin) - besides, all races who have druids have members in the Circle, it's basically the Druid UN, not having members in there would be offensive.

As for the holy undead, seems someone doesn't remember how Seal of Blood worked in TBC, a lot of people often killed themselves, this would be the same issue.

- - - Updated - - -

Perception is everything. If it looks like a duck, and sounds like a duck, most people don't just assume it is a chicken.
    Perception is one thing, not everything. Besides, there's more to perception that how things look.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dermont View Post
    Nothing is wrong, not your game, move on.

I see the point you're trying to make, but Blood Knights making the Light serve them and Tauren worshipping the sun and manipulating its power are believeable exceptions to the "rules" of being a Paladin.

Gnomes building farcical representations of animal forms and attempting to use technology and the like in order to imitate a brand of magic that is 100% natural? That's not a believable exception to the rules of being a Druid.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    I see the point you're trying to make, but Blood Knights making the Light serve them and Tauren worshipping the sun and manipulating its power are believeable exceptions to the "rules" of being a Paladin.

Gnomes building farcical representations of animal forms and attempting to use technology and the like in order to imitate a brand of magic that is 100% natural? That's not a believable exception to the rules of being a Druid.
    Not to mention that after defeating Kil'jaeden, Velen restored the Sun Well which is now a holy font and the source of the Blood Knight's power, in other words they are "regular" paladins now, just like the members of The Silver Hand.