Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Slightly fuzzy screen after installing new graphics card.

Heya guys.

I recently bought and installed a new graphics card, a GIGABYTE Nvidia GEFORCE GT 610 card. My screen is ever so slightly fuzzy; barely noticeable half the time, but at other times can be fairly obvious. It is mostly notable on text, as all text seems a slightly lower quality than before. I did install the drivers on the disk that came with the card, and then (as this was happening then too) installed the latest drivers for this card from the Nvidia website. I've looked up how to fix it but been unable to find any solutions which work or that I can actually understand. I would greatly appreciate any help fixing this. Thanks!
    "English doesn't so much borrow words from other languages as follows them into a dark alley, hits them over the head and goes through their pockets for loose vocabulary."

There is only 1 thing that I can think of causing the problem, because I had it as well. If you wanna give this a try, it can't mess anything up, but if it does work, GG

1. Right click any open area on your desktop background.
    2. Click "NVIDIA Control Panel"
    3. On the left side you will see 4 tabs. 3D Settings/Display/Steroscopic 3D and Video. Click Display.
    4. Under Display there is a tab called "Adjust Desktop Color Settings", click it.
    5. Once under "Adjust Desktop Color Settings", on the right side you should see 3 numbers. Go down to number 3 where it says "Content type reported to the display".
    5. Click the dropdown menu and change it so it says "Desktop Programs" instead.
    6. Once you've done that, hit apply, and X out.

If it works, let me know so I can feel like I actually helped someone for once

I got up to number 5, however there is no "Content type reported to the display" or a dropdown menu! On the left hand side, 1 is "Select the display you would like to change" (only one option), 2 is "Choose how colour is set", and 3 is "Apply the following enhancements".
    "English doesn't so much borrow words from other languages as follows them into a dark alley, hits them over the head and goes through their pockets for loose vocabulary."

Deleted
    Cant help your problem, but what games are you running with that card and at what fps/res? Curious what it can handle tbh.

10+ Year Old Account
    Make sure it didnt change your resolution. Your monitor likely is designed to run on a certain resolution and changing the video card could case the resolution to change

The screen is fuzzy because you bought a shitty card

[infacted]
    Last edited by Tziva; 2014-01-26 at 01:12 AM.

The card was definately better then what I had previously, which was a shitty thing which came packaged with the computer I bought (in 2009, and it's only a standard HP model). I'm not just talking about games looking fuzzy though, I mean even stuff on my desktop and right now.

Adjust the screen resolution to the highest setting you can, which should match your displays native resolution, and it will look right.

Lemme guess, you had an AMD/ATI video card earlier? Nvidia cards will have a bilinear filtering effect if your computer's LCD screen is not being run at its native resolution, which is typically the highest resolution you can set. This will cause the fuzzyness you see. AMD/ATI cards on the other hand don't do this, which will achieve a blocky look to whatever you see on the screen if your screen resolution is set to less than the screen's native resolution.

See this link. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bilinear_filtering

Don't listen to the haters that say you have a bad video card. While it is an extreme budget card which has a minor increase in speed compared to Intel integrated graphics (AMD integrated graphics on the other hand is quite powerful these days), it has all the instructions and functionality as the flagship cards. It just has less computing units and a smaller memory bus width with smaller amount of memory.
    Last edited by Ssateneth; 2014-01-25 at 05:56 PM.

Yeah, my previous card was an ATI Radeon or something. My moniter is currently displaying at native resolution (the highest) and always has been (although I've tried changing it to something else, then back).

So, that information is great, but how do I fix it as regards to how it stands now?

Are you connected with a VGA cable, or DVI/HDMI ? Certain video cards have bad VGA output at high resolution.

Deleted
    Check to see if the screen resolution has dropped with all the messing with drivers and etc etc.

Kind of surprised no one has mentioned it yet, but check your screen refresh rate.
    i5-3570k @ 4.6Ghz | Phanteks TC14PE | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Gigabyte GTX 1080 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance
    Asus Xonar Essence STX | Crucial M4 256MB | Seasonic X760 Gold | Silverstone FT02

Asus PG258Q 240Hz 24.5" | Das Keyboard 4 Pro | Logitech G502 | Audiotechnica ATH-AD900X | Blue Yeti

Deleted
    yeah as Bruce mentioned, you should play with your screens refresh rate (buttons on your monitor, find the menu and play around with the refresh rate in Hz until it's not blurry anymore)

Quote Originally Posted by Diesta View Post
    yeah as Bruce mentioned, you should play with your screens refresh rate (buttons on your monitor, find the menu and play around with the refresh rate in Hz until it's not blurry anymore)
    No, I mean verify the correct screen refresh rate in your display settings through windows.
    i5-3570k @ 4.6Ghz | Phanteks TC14PE | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Gigabyte GTX 1080 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance
    Asus Xonar Essence STX | Crucial M4 256MB | Seasonic X760 Gold | Silverstone FT02

Asus PG258Q 240Hz 24.5" | Das Keyboard 4 Pro | Logitech G502 | Audiotechnica ATH-AD900X | Blue Yeti

I've tried but there is only one option, 60 Hz. There are no other options in the dropdown box.

How do I check if I am connected with VGA or DVI/HDMI?

VGA is a plug with 15 pins on the connector, HDMI is a small rectangular plug, and DVI is a larger connector like the VGA, but with many more pins.

HDMI and DVI are digital connections, VGA is an analog format, and some cards can generate slightly fuzzy/blurry VGA output.

So how can that help me fix the issue? Is there a way to get some converter so it can plug into a different socket?

Quote Originally Posted by Migey View Post
    So how can that help me fix the issue? Is there a way to get some converter so it can plug into a different socket?
    No, you need to hop over to best buy or amazon and order a cable if that's the deal. Amazon will be cheaper, best buy will save you the time and money involved in shipping (though Prime helps that). Don't bother getting anything but the cheapest cable if you're not running above 1920x1080 (even then, basic DVI cables can handle a lot more and I think basic HDMI cables can handle more at 60 Hz).

A VGA cable looks like this. If you have something like that, you should probably upgrade to HDMI or DVI.

Before buying a cable though, check that your monitor supports it.