Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Book series worth picking up [Fantasy/Drama/Thriller]

Hello mmoc users!

I'm looking for some book series, preferably long, to keep me busy from time to time. I prefer it to be fantasy, although a good drama/thriller also works, but those rather end in 1 book. Some book series I've already read are

Sword of Truth (2x <3)
    Eragon
    Hunger Games
    The Magicians Guild/Traitor Spy
    GoT
    The Power of Five

I will surely look at LotR sometimes, but I don't want to touch it yet. I've also started reading Harry Potter several times, but damn, I dislike those books. Does anyone have some suggestions? If it's really good and conclusive I'm also interested in short series/single books. Throw your favourite book series on me!

Deleted
    Riftwar series by Raymond E. Feits is just amazing

Wheel if Time - Robert Jordan

15+ Year Old Account
    i can't believe you actually liked Sword of Truth. but if you liked that garbage then Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan should knock your socks off. first book is "Eye of the World". 14 books long too, so it should keep you going for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by marcelos11 View Post
    i can't believe you actually liked Sword of Truth. but if you liked that garbage then Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan should knock your socks off. first book is "Eye of the World". 14 books long too, so it should keep you going for a while.
    Eh, what can I say...sometimes cheesy, sometimes very stretched, but it was always interesting to see the solution to the dilemna.

I've heard about Wheel of Time already, will give it a try

I'm usually too lazy to login to reply to posts, but I had to for this. Check out `The Book of the New Sun` by Gene Wolfe. The first book is The Shadow of the Torturer.

Malazan Book of the Fallen, The First Law Trilogy and Mistborn are popular fantasy series too.

So, I've actually read quite a few of the same series! Loved Sword of Truth ( I know, its not the best writing, but there is something comforting about it dang it.), Eragon, and Hunger games.. so let me toss out some other options for you!

As Arrowstormen said, Mistborn is a good one. You pretty much can't go wrong with anything Brander Sanderson writes. He is one of the best writers I've read in a long time when it comes to world building and interesting magic systems.

If you want a little darker/edgier, the Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks is quite good. It starts with The Way of Shadows. Assassin in training sort of thing, with some really dark twists. Also the Dark Prism by the same, though that series is still ongoing.

The Coldfire Trilogy by C. S. Friedman is also quite excellent. Great magic system, great characters. Gerald still goes down as one of my favorite characters.

Its set in modern times, but I personally just got done with the Dresden Files books and they were excellent. Modern, but a good mix of magic, and decent drama. Think Supernatural Sherlock Holmes. The same author also wrote Codex Alera series which is quite enjoyable. Pokemon meets roman legions and zerg.

Oh, lastly. I can't talk up this series enough. It starts with The Warded Man, by Peter V. Brett. Again, a really neat magic system, and what can I say. I'm a sucker for elemental themed monsters. Elemental demons and rune magic, woo.
    Last edited by Devonna; 2014-01-26 at 04:05 AM.

You should try reading Harry Potter again. Her writing gets significantly better (IMO) as the books start to get darker and a bit more adult-oriented which starts around book four...but the first three are shorter and quick reads. IDK what you mean by 'started to read them' but I laughed my ass off when I started reading the first book when I was like around 12 and put it down for about a year and I loved it when I picked it back up and forced myself to read a bit further. LoTR is worth reading, for sure. I would also recommend Stephen King's Dark Tower series.

Oh god yes, the Dark tower. The only problem with that series is that it makes me want to read damn near everything else Stephen King has written, cause it almost always ties in to the Tower in some way or another.

Another great pair of Stephen King books, while we're at it? The Talisman and Black House.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PBitt View Post
    You should try reading Harry Potter again. Her writing gets significantly better (IMO) as the books start to get darker and a bit more adult-oriented which starts around book four...but the first three are shorter and quick reads. IDK what you mean by 'started to read them' but I laughed my ass off when I started reading the first book when I was like around 12 and put it down for about a year and I loved it when I picked it back up and forced myself to read a bit further. LoTR is worth reading, for sure. I would also recommend Stephen King's Dark Tower series.
    did you seriously just try to call the harry potter books adult oriented? >.>

While not particularly long I enjoyed Patrick Rothfuss' Kingkiller Chronicles. Currently only two of the proposed trilogy ire our (Name of the Wind / Wise Man's Fear).

1001 Arabian Knights

It's 3 books each are about 1000 pages, I have the book I linked below. I haven't read all of it but I find it great and easy to read.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Arabian-Ni...arabian+nights
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantheal View Post
    I on occasion take a dump in the shower so I don't have to wipe but never pee in there. That is just gross!

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    Malazan Book of the Fallen
    I will second this series. Absolutely awesome and has the benefit that they're done writing it so you don't need to worry about the author(s) kicking the bucket before it's finished

Quote Originally Posted by Anyri View Post
    Riftwar series by Raymond E. Feits is just amazing
    ^This one exactly.

Also the Deverry series by Katharine Kerr, if you are in for a bit of a more advanced read.

100% recommend Dresden Files by Jim Butcher.

What it is about:
    Modern world, with magic hidden behind normal people's knowledge (yes. i know. Stereotype).
    The main guy is Harry Dresden, a down-to-earth wizard/detective for hire. Who has issues paying his rent. And tends to ramble. And has dirty pizza leftovers under his sofa.

I may not have given this book series justice with my description, but suffice to say, i absolutely bucking love it, and i do believe you will like it to. First book in the series is Storm Front if i remember correctly.

Another one to recommend is Incarnations of Immortality series, by Piers Anthony. Be careful with wikipedia, as it contains MAJOR spoilers (fuck them), but this series is absolutely amazing.
    We dream, we dream.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Demonata by daron shan. It was my favorite book series of all time.

id say dragon lance chronicles
    dragons of autumn twilight, winter night and spring dawning
    History is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

Malazan Book of the Fallen although its a pretty heavy read for a fantasy series. Awesome tho if you can get into it.

First Law Series, much lighter but still awesome. And a trilogy so you can run through it pretty quick.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just finished reading The Red Knight by K.T. Davies. It was probably one of the best novels I've read in years. It's a new author, so everything else they've written is all short stories but I would highly recommend it. An awesome series that I just started reading would be The Powder Mage Trilogy by Brian McClellan. Pretty sure he's got another book being published soon too.

Oh! I forgot to add, The Broken Empire trilogy by Mark Lawrence was wonderful and I was very sad when it was over.
    Last edited by Shives; 2014-01-26 at 04:21 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    "Wheel of Time" by Robert Jordan/Brandon Sanderson - 14 books + 1 prequel - My personal favourite, though it does have flaws.

"Malazan Book of the Fallen" by Steven Erikson - 10 books + several standalone books set in the same universe - Hard to get into at first because it drops you right into the plot, so you kind of need to figure things out as you go along.

"Memory, Sorrow and Thorn" - Tad Williams - 3 books if hardcover, 4 if paperback