Page 1 of 17
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Angry NO- Every Race should not be able to be every class

Title says it all. The Gameplay element doesn't matter- every race should not be able to be every class. Yes the Lore is already messed up with timelines and what not, but allowing every race to be every class is just too far.

An Orc paladin would not make any sense what-so-ever. It would not feel right, nor should it. While I will admit some of the race/class combos were pushing the limits (Worgen Druids with the Harvest Witches...) Just saying "fuck it" and abandoning all lore for gameplay just isn't right for the game,

/endrant

10+ Year Old Account
    seems someone just read the paladin worgen thread

Why shouldn't every race be able to become any class? You do realize that during many of these immensely powerful conflicts in Azeroths history MANY different races and classes have been brought together? Dalaran/Shattrath being the two biggest, so why is it people like you who don't want this can't seem to think that perhaps a Night Elf decided to try out Shamanism?

It makes no sense.

10+ Year Old Account
    The worst argument against lifting race/class combos in Lore? Forsaken Paladins would kill themselves

However, if you go out to EPL there's "undead" scarlet crusaders that will use abilities like Smite on you
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

Quote Originally Posted by SinR View Post
    The worst argument against lifting race/class combos in Lore? Forsaken Paladins would kill themselves

However, if you go out to EPL there's "undead" scarlet crusaders that will use abilities like Smite on you
    Just like forsaken priests, right?
    Holy magic is painful for undead casters, people seem to think painful = instadeath
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    Just because Mannoroth and Archimonde are involved doesn't mean it's Legion. They could just be on vacation, demolishing Draenor to build their new summer home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dundebuns View Post
    Did you know that salt has sodium and chlorine in it!!!! Sodium explodes when exposed to atmosphere and you clean your toilets with chlorine!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, I, uh... completely disagree with all of your subjective evaluations. Forums have echoed with 'arguments' like this since... forever?
    "Orc Shamans?! Amazon Elf Warriors?! Get this crap out of my Warcraft!"
    "Tauren Druids?!?"
    "WAIT YOU RETCONNED THE DRAENEI AND SARGERAS YOU RUINED THE LORE"
    "ALLIANCE SHAMANS?!!?"
    "BLOOD ELF PALADINS?! LORE IS DIED"
    "YOU MADE KAEL'THAS EVIL!"
    "YOU RUINED ILLIDAN!"
    "WHY CAN GNOMES WITH PINK PIGTAILS BE DEATH KNIGHTS THIS RUINS EVERYTHING"
    "WHAT DID YOU DO TO JAINA"

Pretty much the entire constructed world you play in is a cascade of lore tweaks to fit gameplay goals, along with a healthy dash of whatever Metzen felt like almost-plagiarizing this morning. It's not sacred and it's more fun to just flow with it and let it evolve. Like how Blizz likes to kill off 75% of the cast over the course of an RTS campaign.

So, bring on the R/C unlocks!

Well tbh, an undead shaman would be sick.

I already think a lot of race + class combos don't feel right and should not exist. But just like most others, I eventually just don't give a fuck and go about my day -- mostly because Blizzard stopped caring about it long ago. Tauren paladins are silly though, and they forever will remain in my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by SinR View Post

Sir Zeliek comes to mind. He's an undead paladin and one of the bosses in Naxx

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PenguinChan View Post
    Tauren paladins are silly though, and they forever will remain in my mind.
    Sunwalkers are an awesome concept. They feel completely inane in-game because Blizz just copy+pasted the Paladin theme visually / conceptually, then wrote a completely different tribal explanation lorewise.

If Sunwalkers used tribal / Tauren-flavored spells and abilities, and had their own Tauren-themed Paladin sets, they would feel absolutely awesome. Obviously that's too much work from an art standpoint, but given that, they should have picked a different lore angle.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sebsmash View Post
    Why shouldn't every race be able to become any class? You do realize that during many of these immensely powerful conflicts in Azeroths history MANY different races and classes have been brought together? Dalaran/Shattrath being the two biggest, so why is it people like you who don't want this can't seem to think that perhaps a Night Elf decided to try out Shamanism?

It makes no sense.
    Pretty much this. As I said in the other thread, they keep some classes/races combos unavailable due to gameplay mechanics. It would be too much for them to balance if everyone could be everything. There is no logical reason any races can't do what they put their minds to. And Blizzard will make up whatever lore they need to suit what they do in game when the time comes (ala worgen deathknights, goblin shamans, etc.)

Herald of the Titans Darksoldierr's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    My Tauren Rogue will eat gnomes alive
    Time is on our side
    Brutal Gladiator Enhancement Shaman *rawr*

I'm actually surprised Draenei can't be Warlocks for the same reason Blood Elves can be Paladins. (i.e. M'uru gets corrupted from being drained of light energy, some Draenei get corrupted by M'uru, and bam, Warlocks.)
    Last edited by Phasma; 2014-01-27 at 07:05 AM.

I'm totally for every race being every class. Eventually.

It needs to be a slow buildup that gradually introduces a few each time. Like Cata did. I really wish I could play as a Worgen Paladin or Monk (Also so players would stop making up bullshit reasons why they can't be these things, just because the game doesn't say why. That, or a Troll Paladin, but I'm sure we'll see them eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by Sicarius119 View Post
    Sir Zeliek comes to mind. He's an undead paladin and one of the bosses in Naxx
    He also tells you to end his misery and leave Naxx before you suffer the same terrible fate as him.

Not that I'm against the idea of an undead paladin, but he's always an example. A horrible example.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sebsmash View Post

It makes no sense.
    Perhaps a night elf tried out shamanism. But he would instantly have been considered as a traitor and would've been banished by the night elves.
    And it seems kinda obvious that thousands of them didn't.
    So it would make no sense to allow thousands of players to roll it.
    Classes not being rollable by every races also stop players from rolling humans/orcs/trolls (cause of their racial) which is a good thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm pretty sure making every race able to be every class isn't messing with lore in the slightest. I'm almost certain that any race can be any class in lore - all it takes is someone who is willing to teach them. What exactly makes an orc priest so impossible, for example? Why would they have absolutely no ability whatsoever to use the Light? Or a worgen paladin: why would a worgen priest not just be able to get training in arms and in using his powers offensively? Hell, what about a night elf warlock? They're fine to be mages but if they try to do anything with the fel their magic just makes a farting noise and sputters out?

There IS no lore that dictates what race can be what. The "it effs up lore!" excuse is flimsy. The class limitations in WoW only describe what is common/well-known among that race.
    Last edited by Overthinking; 2014-01-27 at 08:01 AM.

I would like to see less homogenization in the game, not more. Hell, I'm still mad that Horde got Pallies and Alliance Shaman.

I like flavour things like not every race being able to become every class... but at the end of the day, our characters are meant to represent exceptional individuals not the rule of their species.
    A class does not have to be common to be represented by players (look at Death Knights!), and as players do not actually canonically exist in the numbers that they do in the game, every single one of you can be The Last Forsaken Paladin.

Wow, what a great idea for a paid-for option. $50 sounds about right.

/sarcasm

On topic: of course, not. It's just spitting all over the lore again. We have more than enough retcons.
    Last edited by rda; 2014-01-27 at 10:20 AM.