Stood in the Fire Steve the Sloth's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Not Understanding Class Stats

So a guildie of mine was going on in guild chat about an LFR he ran that contained a 540(ish) Mage that was almost fully gemmed + reforged into Strength and Stamina. When the guildie asked him why, he simply said it's what made sense to him. Surprisingly enough, I can understand where the Mage was coming from. Just imagine not being familiar with any end game content or anything, just casually running LFR here and there. Strength and stamina would be logical sounding stats in a base gaming environment.

Is there/should there be a feature in place to clarify these stats and the proper way to use them? What could Blizzard do to better familiarize people with these underlying aspects of differentiating class gameplay?

p.s. this isn't an "lfr is terribad and everyone in it sux" thread.

They make it abundantly clear which stats you need when starting the game if you even remotely pay attention to the mini tutorial stuff at the start. Furthermore scrolling over stats tells you what they do and even the slightest bit of logic would point you to the right direction. Finally all the gear that he receives would have int on it and not strength. I think your guildie got trolled. The guy knows it isn't the right stat but does it to be funny.

10+ Year Old Account
    Logical you say? I started WoW in 2004 when I was accepted into beta... I made a warlock and it only took 2 seconds of scrolling over my stats to know which each did. Even if someone were to say "logical" how does physical strength benefit someone who only casts spells? I'd consider that illogical.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

Str, agi, int => Power. Having different stats doesn't make any sense when each class only uses one of them.

Yes I once thought my "twink" mage need agility because that would help me dodge when being attacked :/

Blizz has come a long way since then in using the UI to help direct newbies but theres always going to be people who don't properly think about the game and simply play and do whats easiest or what makes sense and those people will miss Blizz's guidelines but all in all it is just LFR and it is at its core just a game so its not a huge issue.

at least cloth strength and spirit gear (of the boar i think??) doesn't exist anymore
    Originally Posted by Zarhym (Blue Tracker)

We're confident the .01% left will be thrilled to attend a post-apocalyptic BlizzCon.

Quote Originally Posted by Classiccs View Post
    Is there/should there be a feature in place to clarify these stats and the proper way to use them? What could Blizzard do to better familiarize people with these underlying aspects of differentiating class gameplay?
    Find me a piece of cloth gear at level 90 with strength on it.

I can understand being confused and having some spirit pieces mixed in... but the sort of newbie that doesn't understand that strength isn't something mages use.... wouldn't know how to gem anyways.

I don't really understand the point in str/int/agi now anyways, if they're going to change based on spec. Makes as much sense as plate/mail/leather/cloth rules.

When you mouse over the stats in character panel, it CLEARLY says which stats are useful.

I can't exactly remember how it is worded, but as a Mage when you mouse-over Strength it should say something like "This stat provides no benefit to your class".

If anyone got to level 60+ and has no idea what is their spec's primary stat, they are absolutely not interested in even reading the simplest of tooltips.

Deleted
    Strongest mage EU

if you can get to 90 and still not realise that you need Int instead of strength, there really is no hope for people like that. Actually now I realise what LFR. is for now...

Did Somebody Order a Knuckle Sandwich?

I remember wearing intellect gear to level my weapon skills up in Blasted Lands on those invulnerable npcs. Ah, the memories.

http://www.wowwiki.com/Weapon_skill
    Last edited by Dolus; 2014-01-28 at 04:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Foto View Post
    Yes I once thought my "twink" mage need agility because that would help me dodge when being attacked :/
    Back when I was first making my twinks, agility did just that. My rogues balanced additional str for extra bonus damage and my mage had a nice chunk of agility enchanted onto their pieces because bonus spell damage wasn't really present in any decent amounts on any piece with int and stam (and the 'good' gear for tanks at the time also had spirit on it...)