Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account

Once upon a time, FPS had...

... Map Editor

I am thinking Doom, Duke Nukem 3D, Quake, Unreal Tournament. There were litterally thousands of maps made by community. Some were badly made, other very original. I remember playing an unreal map that was a giant bathroom.

Now, maps are sold separetly by pack of 4. This is what drive me away from modern multiplayer FPS. When will we see a courageous publisher ginving us a AAA FPS suchas call of duty or Battlefield, with a powerful map editor and let the community create thousand of maps, if anything at least as unranked game. Then the publisher could review, refine, balance and add some of the most popular map in their ranked match.

Can't sell dat DLC if players keep up pouring free, endless amounts of superior maps.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Deleted
    The modding scene was and is always a huge part of any game which publishers realized after a while. So they started monetizing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    Can't sell dat DLC if players keep up pouring free, endless amounts of superior maps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixuzcc View Post
    The modding scene was and is always a huge part of any game which publishers realized after a while. So they started monetizing it.
    This are the troof. Gotta make them dollars

10+ Year Old Account
    They should go their DLC-way WITH the modding scene.

Reviewed maps/skins can be bought and it is shared among modders and distributors.

As far as I know Sony has this already or is planning such thing with Everquest next.
    Sing like no one is listening - Love like you've never been hurt
    Dance like no one is watching - Masturbate like no one else is on the bus

Quote Originally Posted by Rhywolver View Post
    They should go their DLC-way WITH the modding scene.

Reviewed maps/skins can be bought and it is shared among modders and distributors.

As far as I know Sony has this already or is planning such thing with Everquest next.
    They are doing it now actually with Planetside2... just not full maps, but cosmetic items. I think a lot of games are doing it these days (pretty sure TF2 does it?)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H3-N9zoI5c Amazing video of 60+ devilsaurs raiding Undercity!

My God, what a horrible creation. People seeing what they want? Thank God they tried to shy away from that. I know it pisses me off when I'm in an heroic raid, yet in the back of my head all I can think is 'some casual player is playing a heroic dungeon and not wiping.' -Vodkarn

Herald of the Titans Darksoldierr's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    I didn't bought the newest Arma, and didn't played with Arma 2, but doesn't Arma 3 has like amazing map editor?
    Time is on our side
    Brutal Gladiator Enhancement Shaman *rawr*

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Darksoldierr View Post
    I didn't bought the newest Arma, and didn't played with Arma 2, but doesn't Arma 3 has like amazing map editor?
    Well yea, but the rest of the game is pretty lame. What use is a map editor for a mediocre game.

Quote Originally Posted by Vankrys View Post
    This is what drive me away from modern multiplayer FPS. When will we see a courageous publisher ginving us a AAA FPS suchas call of duty or Battlefield, with a powerful map editor and let the community create thousand of maps, if anything at least as unranked game. Then the publisher could review, refine, balance and add some of the most popular map in their ranked match.
    You most certainly won't see if from the Call of Duty side of things. CoD custom maps used to be pretty great, many of which were used in competition. I really don't understand what changed at Activision after CoD4, but it was a slap in the face when players were denied the dev tools we always had.

Luckily enough I have Valve and Counter Strike.

Games today have never been cheaper to buy and never more expensive to make so you cant expect the companies to want to not monetize there games more.

Quote Originally Posted by Unholydevil View Post
    Games today have never been cheaper to buy and never more expensive to make so you cant expect the companies to want to not monetize there games more.
    True, but majority of that go for over-bloated, committee designed bullshit. When you look at CoD, how is it that they need hundreds upon hundreds of employeers to bring out game with less content that use old assets with almoust each concecutive release? I tell you how. It's not too long ago when there was a interview with former artist from Activision who worked on CoD.

His sole job was to model a gun for that particular game, nothing else. He had been assigned 6 months to do it, a job by his own words he was capable to do within a week if it was necessary. That level of waste, not to mention that there was A LOT of useless management positions filled is the major reason for rising costs.

Just look at original Crysis. The engine and game developement together did cost a very tiny fraction of modern AAA shooter game that have only recently started getting beyond it visually.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

True, but majority of that go for over-bloated, committee designed bullshit. When you look at CoD, how is it that they need hundreds upon hundreds of employeers to bring out game with less content that use old assets with almoust each concecutive release? I tell you how. It's not too long ago when there was a interview with former artist from Activision who worked on CoD.

His sole job was to model a gun for that particular game, nothing else. He had been assigned 6 months to do it, a job by his own words he was capable to do within a week if it was necessary. That level of waste, not to mention that there was A LOT of useless management positions filled is the major reason for rising costs.

Just look at original Crysis. The engine and game developement together did cost a very tiny fraction of modern AAA shooter game that have only recently started getting beyond it visually.
    Most games could look like Crysis if they had wanted to but game companies have this weird desire to run games that people can actually play. As for the waste I can not attest to that but there has been waste in projects for over 20 years and you cant tell me that making a game today costs as much as making a game 20 years ago even if budgeted perfectly but the games themselves have again never been cheaper so the profit has to come from somewhere.

Most games could look like Crysis if they had wanted to but game companies have this weird desire to run games that people can actually play. As for the waste I can not attest to that but there has been waste in projects for over 20 years and you cant tell me that making a game today costs as much as making a game 20 years ago even if budgeted perfectly but the games themselves have again never been cheaper so the profit has to come from somewhere.
    You really ought to go and train up that Reading Comprehension skill.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    game cost more to make, but they sell more too. dukenukem 3D doesn't have anywhere near the sales number a CoD has.

10+ Year Old Account
    I used to be a hardcore FPS gamer, then the FPS genre took an arrow to the knee. Myriads of mediocre titles made me lose all interest in the genre, it all began after the Quake 3 engine started showing its age. Screw mediocrity and screw all those super "commercially successful" fps games, but most of all, screw those people who keep spending hard earned money on mediocrity like that. It's like we are enabling them to keep making the same games = crap every year.

I'm not saying CoD and BF are bad, well not completely, it's just that I'm fed up with not playing anything that's fun anymore, anything that really intrigues me at this point. A Map Editor won't do much to pique my interest. I will keep playing games like Wolfenstein Enemy Territory, Unreal Tournament etc till the day I die I suppose.

Haha so much this.

OP, I find your lack of including Tribes/Tribes 2 disturbing.

10+ Year Old Account
    CoD 5 had awesome custom maps

game cost more to make, but they sell more too. dukenukem 3D doesn't have anywhere near the sales number a CoD has.
    CoD will double its production costs at minimum every single year so its not a big worry but the problem isn't CoD the problem is the other games that still cost way more then they used to because of the cutting edge graphics needed but they sell for the same amount so they HAVE to sell more then before (even taking a growing market into account) in order to generate a profit which is why you get safe games and why developers are trying to monetize everything they can.

CoD will double its production costs at minimum every single year so its not a big worry but the problem isn't CoD the problem is the other games that still cost way more then they used to because of the cutting edge graphics needed but they sell for the same amount so they HAVE to sell more then before (even taking a growing market into account) in order to generate a profit which is why you get safe games and why developers are trying to monetize everything they can.
    Honestly, I think CoD should cost half of what it does now.

They give us an on-rails single player and a done over, and over again multiplayer.

Why should I pay $60 for the half of a game?

...And this is why I have not owned a CoD since CoD 3...

... Map Editor

I am thinking Doom, Duke Nukem 3D, Quake, Unreal Tournament. There were litterally thousands of maps made by community. Some were badly made, other very original. I remember playing an unreal map that was a giant bathroom.

Now, maps are sold separetly by pack of 4. This is what drive me away from modern multiplayer FPS. When will we see a courageous publisher ginving us a AAA FPS suchas call of duty or Battlefield, with a powerful map editor and let the community create thousand of maps, if anything at least as unranked game. Then the publisher could review, refine, balance and add some of the most popular map in their ranked match.

Doom map editor was released seperatley from the game and you had to buy it.

I still have the big ol book that came with the CD laying about somewhere....
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.