Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

So turns out PVP is actually quite popular in wow (Blizzard Official Statistics).

So Blizzard finally published a lot of statistics regarding Wow and one of them mentions the highly debated PVE vs PVP popularity. Being:

Everyday in Azeroth there are 900k PVE instances (Dungs, Raids) and 670k Pvp instances (Arena, R/Bgs).

A lot of people (not myself) debate that wow is mostly a PvE game and PVP is a minor part of the game, but the amount of PVP activity is really not that far off from PVE activity. It is probably even closer if wow was to release PVE vs PVP activity at level 90 only, since many people tend to level using dungeons and not as much PvP activity whilst levelling.

Btw: I know that a lot of players feel PVP is quite popular in Wow, this is more or less directed at those who say Pvp is not popular.

Edit: Source:

http://media.mmo-champion.com/images...infoGnomic.jpg
    Last edited by mmoc3728ee3fab; 2014-01-29 at 07:23 PM.

Inb4 25-35% off that are bots.

...Joke aside, I don't think anyone ever said Battlegrounds weren't popular, but many dont really enjoy PvP over PvE inn wow. They use BG's to gear up, to level inn and to just kill time perhaps - None off that really makes you favour pvp more.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Djuntas View Post
    Well, the bots are usually made to farm HP in Battlegrounds for the player to tag in Arena with a competitive gear, so they still count.

Edit : Stupid answer, I didn't read the post carefully. :/
    Last edited by mmocb6f0f12ac3; 2014-01-29 at 07:15 PM.

I only wonder how deceptive those numbers are. For example does a 2v2 arena lasting 2 minutes count for the same amount on the PvP tally as a 4 hour raid night does for the PvE section? If so what does that mean for the PvP numbers coming in lower than the PvE ones? There's clearly not enough information presented to decide anything. They should have compared hours of gameplay spent in each instead of number of instances. They basically told us nothing
    Last edited by Erolian; 2014-01-29 at 07:17 PM.

but many dont really enjoy PvP over PvE inn wow. They use BG's to gear up, to level inn and to just kill time perhaps - None off that really makes you favour pvp more.
    Same could be said about dungeons, so that's not much of an arguement.

Honestly this news isn't all that interesting, you'd have to be blind to not have noticed that bg's are pretty popular.

Deleted

...Joke aside, I don't think anyone ever said Battlegrounds weren't popular, but many dont really enjoy PvP over PvE inn wow. They use BG's to gear up, to level inn and to just kill time perhaps - None off that really makes you favour pvp more.
    That is a lot of speculation you just posted and the same could be said vice versa.
    Last edited by mmoc3728ee3fab; 2014-01-29 at 07:19 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Of cos it is popular, would be even more popular if WoW had a shred of balance
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

PvP numbers are fairly inflated due to the nature of the content. Few people spam 5man dungeons anymore, which means that a lot of the PvE numbers come from more time-intensive stuff. Raids.

PvP, on the other hand, continues to be about short commitments. BGs, and especially arenas are spammed to a much greater degree than raids are.

I'm not saying PvP isn't popular or anything, just... Maybe take the numbers with a grain of salt.

The numbers showed me exactly what I already knew - WoW PvP is alive and popular and the naysayers will ALWAYS find something to be negative about.

670,000 times a day people choose to do something they enjoy. Nothing else to say really.

Quote Originally Posted by Sevyvia View Post
    PvP numbers are fairly inflated due to the nature of the content. Few people spam 5man dungeons anymore, which means that a lot of the PvE numbers come from more time-intensive stuff. Raids.

PvP, on the other hand, continues to be about short commitments. BGs, and especially arenas are spammed to a much greater degree than raids are.

I'm not saying PvP isn't popular or anything, just... Maybe take the numbers with a grain of salt.
    Yes, but scenarios are also included in the 900k which should inflate the number a bit.

Deleted
    The numbers don't mean much really.

Unfortunately BGs are 75%+ bots on EU atleast, and this is no exaggeration, much higher after 10PM.

Arena participation has been rapidly decreasing since WOTLK, in TBC there were 10 times as many people queuing (e.g top 0.5% on each BG were 200 teams, in S13 there were like 10 or 12).

They let the competitive side of WoW die over the past two expansions (post-Wrath), all the problems with 'forgetting' to reset MMR, refusing to make a tournament UI and not making a tourny realm at the start of Cata lead to WoW being dropped from MLG.

Its a shame really, the community used to be so huge sites like of arena-junkies were massive. 2009 Blizzcon had a 1000 page thread, 2013 one had like 20 pages.

I'm willing to bet the numbers were double or more a few years ago.
    Last edited by mmoc44ab44658a; 2014-01-30 at 03:02 AM.

As people have already said, that is instance based and thus is pretty biased. If you think about it, the average Arena game lasts what, 5~ minutes? It also has between 4 and 6 people in (lets say the average amount is 5, although there is probably more 2s than 3s played daily). Lets say a raid lasts 4 hours, although multiple nights might be spent in the same raid instance.

So, in 4 hours, 10 people raiding has created: 1 PvE Instance

In the same 4 hours, 10 people PvPing has created: 96 PvP Instances*

Arguably, I'm making this biased because you could compare RBGs against low level dungeons... But in all honesty I think Heroics (20m) and Raids (4hrs) are probably the most popular PvE instances, while Arenas (5m) are by far the most popular PvP instance.

Obviously this is all speculation. If Isle of Conquest and Alterac Valley are the most popular PvP instances then that is 80 people in 1 instance and PvP is far more popular than any of us imagined, but only Blizzard can see the actual stats.

*In 240 minutes, with 5 minutes per arena game, 48 arena games were played. 2 sets of people queueing makes it 96.
    ((60[hour]*4] / 5[minutes per game]) * 2[Doubled because there is 2 sets of 5])

Deleted
    As people have already said, that is instance based and thus is pretty biased. If you think about it, the average Arena game lasts what, 5~ minutes? It also has between 4 and 6 people in (lets say the average amount is 5, although there is probably more 2s than 3s played daily). Lets say a raid lasts 4 hours, although multiple nights might be spent in the same raid instance.

raid boss 4 hours srsly, maybe in the first week when none know the tactics??? Do u take in account how many players go through LFR system where u clear everything in 40-60 mins max.

do u take in to account that every one levels through dungeons, lasting 10-15 mins...

and an average game in 2s is way longer than 5 mins, have u ever played healer//dps vf healer//dps lol

All your assumptions are based on random fabricated numbers

nfortunately BGs are 75%+ bots on EU atleast, and this is no exaggeration, much higher after 10PM
    currently farming AB rep 8-12 bg every night, I can rarely see any bots, so again 75% totally exaggerated and fabricated number.

Bottom line, both PVP and PVE have high representation among the player pool, based on blizzard stats, and to diminish or full out ignore the importance and representation of each one of them is simply fullish and naive.

Well, a BG takes ~15 minutes (unless ist a zergerac valley)
    While PVE instances take considerbly longer.

So it is more likeley you will do 5 BG´s a day than 5 times LFR for instance. This means you cant value the number of pvp instances as high as they are, when comparing them to the number of PVE isnatnces.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Champxoxo View Post
    The numbers don't mean much really.

Unfortunately BGs are 75%+ bots on EU atleast, and this is no exaggeration, much higher after 10PM.

Arena participation has been rapidly decreasing since WOTLK, in TBC there were 10 times as many people queuing (e.g top 0.5% on each BG were 200 teams, in S13 there were like 10 or 12).

They let the competitive side of WoW die over the past two expansions (post-Wrath), all the problems with 'forgetting' to reset MMR, refusing to make a tournament UI and not making a tourny realm at the start of Cata lead to WoW being dropped from MLG.

Its a shame really, the community used to be so huge sites like of arena-junkies were massive. 2009 Blizzcon had a 1000 page thread, 2013 one had like 20 pages.

I'm willing to bet the numbers were double or more a few years ago.

Pretty much this. After wotlk blizzard basically gave the pvp community a collective middle finger and promptly started ignoring complaints. We now have what you see today, a plethora of dead websites, a pissed off pvp base, abysmal arena participation and titles that mean next to nothing anymore.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lockdown1 View Post
    So Blizzard finally published a lot of statistics regarding Wow and one of them mentions the highly debated PVE vs PVP popularity. Being:

Everyday in Azeroth there are 900k PVE instances (Dungs, Raids) and 670k Pvp instances (Arena, R/Bgs).

A lot of people (not myself) debate that wow is mostly a PvE game and PVP is a minor part of the game, but the amount of PVP activity is really not that far off from PVE activity. It is probably even closer if wow was to release PVE vs PVP activity at level 90 only, since many people tend to level using dungeons and not as much PvP activity whilst levelling.

Btw: I know that a lot of players feel PVP is quite popular in Wow, this is more or less directed at those who say Pvp is not popular.

Edit: Source:

http://media.mmo-champion.com/images...infoGnomic.jpg
    From personal play style and the play style of most of my friends, I see that those who PVP, PVP a lot, and those that PVE will do instances here and there. I'll do my cycle of LFR's and do my Flex when my schedule permits me and I don't PVP anymore.

In other words, a more accurate representation would be to include the # of people doing PVE or PVP instances as well each day. Simply saying 900k PVE instances could mean a minimum of 2.7M to a maximum 22.5M people. For PVP that could mean a minimum 1.34M to a maximum 26.8M. That also doesn't account for unique users of the instances (how many people do multiple PVP/PVE instances). It also doesn't show how many people chose to do PVE or PVP outside of instances. How many people do dailies, and how many dailies are done? How many duels occur?

Quote Originally Posted by Turkey One View Post
    I only wonder how deceptive those numbers are. For example does a 2v2 arena lasting 2 minutes count for the same amount on the PvP tally as a 4 hour raid night does for the PvE section? If so what does that mean for the PvP numbers coming in lower than the PvE ones? There's clearly not enough information presented to decide anything. They should have compared hours of gameplay spent in each instead of number of instances. They basically told us nothing
    Also what this guy brings up. Time plays a factor as well. When I used to do arena's, I could do 30-40 a night depending on how long our fights lasted. A few nights we would only get 10 in, but played the same amount of time.

It's a blind info graphic that just shows how many unique instances are done, but doesn't show how many unique people do those instances, or how much time is spent per unique instance. A 4 hour 25 man raid would count as 1 instance, but could be counted as 100 man hours. Equivalently, if the average WSG went the 15 minutes, it would take 20 instances to get 100 man hours. For the opposite argument, you would need 200 ten minute scenario's to equal 100 man hours. Likewise, you would need two 37.5 minute AV's to equal 100 man hours.

You can do whatever you want with numbers to come to the conclusion you need. Having more information available only narrows the conclusion down imo.
    wyrd bið ful aræd

Quote Originally Posted by Snuggli View Post

Arguably, I'm making this biased because you could compare RBGs against low level dungeons... But in all honesty I think Heroics (20m) and Raids (4hrs) are probably the most popular PvE instances, while Arenas (5m) are by far the most popular PvP instance.

Obviously this is all speculation. If Isle of Conquest and Alterac Valley are the most popular PvP instances then that is 80 people in 1 instance and PvP is far more popular than any of us imagined, but only Blizzard can see the actual stats.

*In 240 minutes, with 5 minutes per arena game, 48 arena games were played. 2 sets of people queueing makes it 96.
    Pretty much my thoughts exactly.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Snuggli View Post

You are wrong, the 10 people PVEing aren't doing a raid they are, each on their own, farming low level dungeons at a pace of 1 every 25 minutes. I wonder what that adds up too...

Quote Originally Posted by Sthu View Post
    You are wrong, the 10 people PVEing aren't doing a raid they are, each on their own, farming low level dungeons at a pace of 1 every 25 minutes. I wonder what that adds up too...
    Yeah I agree. It all depends on what the majority of PvE instances are. There is loooads of low level dungeons, and non-max level dungeons might even by the largest amount of PvE instances, I don't know.

What I do know is that of the PvP instances, 2v2 Arena is the most popular. That's only 4 people that are creating a new instance every 2-10 minutes. It's impossible to judge without seeing the proper stats, but I think the 'instances created' number is skewed slightly in PvPs favour.

Are we taking into consideration transmog runs/monkey runs?