Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Protection paladin questions

Hi ....
    So recently, I have been leveling a ret paladin, but just converted him to prot using most of the same gear, except certain specific gear for prot.

Here is my character link http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ytank/advanced

Is the build/enchants all fine?
    Which weapon enchant do we use? Also, is there a haste breakpoint?

Next week, I complete my legendary questline( yay ) .... which cloak should I get? I mostly raid pugs ( flex and recently normal, all 10m - 13m for flex). Should i get the str dps cloak or the str tank one? Also, is it worth bonus rolling on ordos?

Thanks

Windsong for wep is our BIS atm.

There is no haste break point, BUT at around 50% haste in raid I found it to be annoying to do some of my crap ( Stuff was coming up to fast ). But no just keep stacking haste.

Also the 15 and 75 talents are up to choice . At least that is how I play, I stick with Speed of Light and DP for those.

Other then that its all good.

Also go with the tanking cloak

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...uvius/advanced

Deleted
    at around 50% haste in raid
    Raid "haste buff" is just attack speed, doesn't affect skill cd/gcd reduction. 50% haste (it was 21250 or so?) is the aim

Will the procs on the tanking cloak be really that useful in helping me to survive attacks in 10man raids, such that I could give up the better stats and dps proc from the dps cloak? I dont have any plans on going 25 man ( until WoD with mythic being introduced)

On legendary cloaks: get both. Start a new boss (specially on normal) using the tank cloak and as soon you feel confortable, you can switch to the dps cloak.
    One good indication is you not dying and not having to use the legendary proc (you can track easie if Endurance of Niuzao debuff is present with weakauras).
    Specially because you get pugs and you don't know how your healers are.

Retribution drops are fine. Just make sure to switch to tank spec when getting drops from bosses that drop shields (Nazgrim is the
    best right now), one handed strength weapons and trinkets. Also, whenever possible replace your tier pieces with tank set pieces.
    The set piece bonuses are awesome.

The reforging, gems and enchanting looks fine.

Depending on your healers you want to stack haste to 21250 so you're GCD capped. If you're having problems staying alive throw some STA gems/enchants. I'd stick the the tank cloak unless you're really overgearing the fight.

I think I will go with the tank cloak then, but what about the haste I miss from the dps cloak? Also, the tank proc, from what i've heard is a little unreliable at best.

The tank cloak is amazing for anything that hits hard enough to matter.
    But since you're not going to do the latter half of heroic SoO it's mostly pointless so the dps cloak is fine.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ahhdurr View Post
    If you're having problems staying alive throw some STA gems/enchants.
    That's just bad/random advice....
    Stam gems are under budget -> best avoided most of the time.
    Stam trinkets are ok budget wise and some of them have decent effects (vial from malkorok in particular)
    Stam enchants (shoulders/legs/chest/cloak) should be the default anyway since the other options for those slots are kind of sketchy.

Deleted
    Tank Cloak is nice for those oneshot abilities or stacking debuffs. Its useless on fights where you are not getting hit hard enough to matter.

The problem with the cloak is, that if you are already low on health (say 100k) and get hit by the boss and the cloak proccs, you still are at 100k health and the next auto hit will kill you anyway. But its nice to stacks certain debuffs higher to get more vengeance like shaman hc etc.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahhdurr View Post
    If you're having problems staying alive throw some STA gems/enchants.
    That is just terrible advice.

Ok .. assuming I have no plans to push heroic content( I amn't a guild raider yet, but soon, hopefully) , should I get dps or tank cloak first for the normal bosses?

Quote Originally Posted by ptsunami2911 View Post
    Ok .. assuming I have no plans to push heroic content( I amn't a guild raider yet, but soon, hopefully) , should I get dps or tank cloak first for the normal bosses?
    The tank cloak doesn't really do much on normal except Garrosh maybe .... and after that the next boss it's useful for is Juggernaut heroic.
    On the other hand you probably won't need the extra dps either if you're not planning on doing heroics.

I'd get the dps cloak simply because it also works for ret.

Deleted
    I (used to) raid at a similar level to you. In principle, the tank cloak sounds awesome. However, in practice, I don't recall it saving my life. I have a prejudice against the dps cloak, but in practice love it - it procs so often and has quite a noticeable effect (I think the extra haste advantage is less compelling).

Sadly, my dps cloak mainly sees action nowadays on vermin and lesser foes as my guild has imploded, but the proc is one thing I will really miss losing in WoD.

Well ... i'm still confused ..... the tank cloak proc doesnt seem all that great coz it doesnt happen all that often, but it is an amazing thing if it does happen. The dps cloak still has the haste :S

Deleted
    You might as well go crit over mastery for progression since we have so much physical reduction to begin with. You can't really recover from dying if you're not wearing the tank cloak.

I personally use the tank cloak on every fight but I'm not trying to cheese every ranking I can like Lazel is <.<

It procs all the time and every time it does it would've cost you a death. If it's not proccing for you then you're overgearing the content by a lot anyways and well yeah.. For progress you always want a safety-net such as the cloak even on a fight that has no iminent threat to tanks simply because if you do screw it up it keeps the try going. And before somebody says cloak wouldn't have saved me. I've had the cloak proc hundreds of times during this patch and the only time that there was absolutely nothing I could do was on juggernaut 25HC taking the 11th stack (I thought there would only be 10 for some reason so no CD). Because I took 2 hits for 1M+ in 1.5seconds. Almost every single other time it's procced I've been able to recover and go on.

EDIT: obviously if you're only doing normal there's not much reason to use the tank cloak past the first kill except for maybe Malkorok if you solo tank the bloodrage.

Something else to point out in regards to the tank cloak is that it's effectively an extra CD. I can hold back on my CDs a lot as long as I have the cloak ready to proc. I can use it as a straight up CD too if I have bubble ready to reset it. I'm basically invincible for as long as it hasn't procced.
    Last edited by mmoc1c984c02b2; 2014-02-02 at 05:24 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Spacebubble View Post
    Something else to point out in regards to the tank cloak is that it's effectively an extra CD. I can hold back on my CDs a lot as long as I have the cloak ready to proc. I can use it as a straight up CD too if I have bubble ready to reset it. I'm basically invincible for as long as it hasn't procced.
    Basically this. View it as an extra CD and you can reset the debuff with bubble and bop.

I guess I will go for the tank cloak and optimize gear for it, but keep the dps cloak once I get gold to buy it, and then use it on easy fights(immerse etc).

About trinkets ....... I heard that Thok's Tail Tip is BiS for prots?

- - - Updated - - -

Also, @Spacebubble, what do u mean by cheesing the rankings, like Lazel did?

- - - Updated - - -

Also, for ordos, do you need to be in a group to get loot , or is it okay if you just kill him without a group like you do for celestials? I'm pretty new :S

I guess I will go for the tank cloak and optimize gear for it, but keep the dps cloak once I get gold to buy it, and then use it on easy fights(immerse etc).

About trinkets ....... I heard that Thok's Tail Tip is BiS for prots?

- - - Updated - - -

Also, @Spacebubble, what do u mean by cheesing the rankings, like Lazel did?
    Basically doing things to maximise dps. Cheesing vengeance, taking more stacks than necessary on fights(3 tanking shamans, taunting at 10 instead of 5 and so on), standing in certain things to max vengeance, tanking extra bosses on paragons, the list goes on for quite a while.

On trinkets: I run(as a geared offspec, 570) with hc malk and the Sha healer AMP. Thok obv is BiS, but every AMP trinket gives the statboosts, the proc is the only thing that is different. I use a stamina trinket since I'm a noob and I'm tanking (some) heroics, so I have a little more hp to make up for my mistakes. Now, if you're not tanking heroic, my second pick would be horridon's trinket for the haste. For max dps I'd advice talking to Lazel
    Lilaith, resident flamer for Winterfall, holy moderator in Hammer of Wrath.
    Discord: Lilaith#9028
    Bnet: Lilaith#2476

If you have the resources, you can get both cloaks. 7,000 gold is quite affordable at this point, and if your guild expects you to be a main tank or especially both dps/tank, they may help you get a second cloak.
    Last edited by nightfalls; 2014-02-03 at 03:33 AM.