WarTank, more like a Tankadin or DeathTank ?

For all you Warrior Tanks. When the pre-purcahse comes out for WoD with the free Level 90 character boost, I think I'll try a Warrior / Tank out.

I really like the Tank class the most, and my two mains are a Paladin Tank i540, and DK Tank i530. I prefer my paladin over the DK, more so for the solid rotation play style, not a fan of the DK situational spell casting, only cast spells when they pop up, or are ready all of a sudden, I don't like that at all, I miss my old Blood spec from Wrath, that was the best DK. But I much prefer the confidence of the Paladin Protection style, which is more of strict rotation sort of.

Anyways, which play style is a Warrior Tank more like ? Tankadin or DeathTank ?

Deleted
    I've not tried DK tanking to be honest, so I can't compare Warrior tanking with it, but I did main a Paladin throughout ToT, and now play Warrior, so I can compare it with Paladin tanking.

My Warrior has less rotational buttons to press than my Paladin did; for the most part you'll be spamming devastate while you wait for Shield Slam and Revenge to either come off cool down or have their cool downs reset via proc. You'll use your Thunderclap every 30s to refresh Weakened blows (applied via Crusader Strike on Paladin). What sets Warrior aside from your Paladin, though, will be your mobility (charge, intervene/safeguard, heroic leap) which adds to the fun. In terms of active mitigation, Warrior also differs from what you'll be used to on Pala. You won't be keeping up a self heal while having a flat physical damage reduction buff up from SoTR, instead you'll have a choice; Barrier or Block - not everything can be blocked and you can't block while stunned, so it gives you a choice to think about. Your Paladin also doesn't have much to use actively for magical damage, aside from Divine Protection glyphed or unglyphed, while Warrior can use barrier for this.

But if you want a strict rotation like your Paladin, then Warrior doesn't really have it. You're going to be reacting to Sword and Board (Shield Slam CD reset) procs and Revenge reset procs (from dodges and parries), and filling the gaps with devastate/thunderclap/shouts (for rage), and if you become a little more advanced, heroic leaping out to charge range and charging back in (for rage).

If you like cool downs, we have plenty both offensive and defensive, both personal and raid wide.

It's early days though and we don't know what changes the dev team have in mind for Warriors, so I'd recommend you just get the level 90 and try it out when the time comes. As a tank it's always handy to have the other tank classes available to play when needed anyway. What I will say though, is that in their current state, Protection Warriors are great fun to play.

I'd say Druid > Monk > Paladin > DK as far as "resemblance to warrior" is concerned.
    I guess the order is arguable, but to me it's at least pretty clear that the DK is the tank that is the less similar to us.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorachus View Post
    Anyways, which play style is a Warrior Tank more like ? Tankadin or DeathTank ?
    Prot Warrior is more akin to Tankadin, in my opinion. Dk's use their main ability as their damage mitigation (excluding cds), which is pretty boring. Warriors use a few abilities to generate rage to use their active mitigation abilities which are off the gcd, very similar to Paladins who generate holy power to use their active and reactive mitigation abilities which are off the gcd. Warriors have more raid cds and mobility, where as a Protadin has better self cds and does more boss damage, in my opinion.

I prefer my paladin over the DK, more so for the solid rotation play style, not a fan of the DK situational spell casting, only cast spells when they pop up, or are ready all of a sudden, I don't like that at all, I miss my old Blood spec from Wrath, that was the best DK. But I much prefer the confidence of the Paladin Protection style, which is more of strict rotation sort of.
    Warrior is more like a DK in that regard. Our Shield Slam can have its CD reset through using devastate and Revenge can be reset through parrying. If you want a class with a more strict rotation I'd go monk.

I really like the Tank class the most, and my two mains are a Paladin Tank i540, and DK Tank i530. I prefer my paladin over the DK, more so for the solid rotation play style, not a fan of the DK situational spell casting, only cast spells when they pop up, or are ready all of a sudden, I don't like that at all, I miss my old Blood spec from Wrath, that was the best DK. But I much prefer the confidence of the Paladin Protection style, which is more of strict rotation sort of.
    I'm thinking warrior is not for you.

If you want to try one out, you should hop on the PTR and do some 5-mans/proving grounds/etc and read up on what to press and when using a premade.

If you want a tank that's more rigid like prot pallies, try a monk, there's no random cooldown resets, your resources are very predictable, and if you're a crit build (what most 10m-normal brewmasters are running) you'll even not have to worry about banking elusive brew stacks while at like 50+% crit.

They're also awesome because they've got great raid healing via gift of the ox, and a fair number of personal-preference style options (DW vs 2h, Mastery vs. Crit, finding the right level of haste, etc.)

They're somewhat avoidance dependant, rather than block (or blood shield) dependant. I wouldn't liken them to an ICC-era Blood DK, but they aren't far off either. They've got fairly strong (rotational) self healing, Can talent into extreme magic resistance (see: BrM solo-tanking H-Malkorok) and Decent mobility, great damage dealing capacity too, and of all the tanks, likely are the most capable at kiting adds (useful for Garrosh P3). They're somewhat vulnerable to stuns (esp. if running with high crit) and have a bit of a learning curve. (keeping shuffle up, keeping enough energy for keg-smash on cooldown while also not capping energy) They're less mobile than Warriors (but moreso than DK's or Pallies), don't have the raid utility that paladins get (hands of iwin at everything) or the combat res that DK's/Druids bring.

Added bonus is that they also have a DPS spec who plays (somewhat) similarly, There's a decent amount of overlap there anyway.

It's somewhat skewed because SoO has given them a lot of fights where they can really shine (even after a flat 15% dps nerf.) Also worth considering that WoD could completely turn the situation back on it's head, so who knows.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can't really say that a warrior playstyle is anywhere close to a paladin or a DKs playstyle. It is closer to a paladin then a DK though. DKs have to properly time death strikes after they take damage, paladins have to properly time SotR usage right before they take damage, warriors can just push shield block/barrier practically whenever, so mitigation works quite differently for all 3.

Warriors are pretty much identical to druids in terms of playstyle though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.

Quote Originally Posted by Raugnaut View Post
    Can't really say that a warrior playstyle is anywhere close to a paladin or a DKs playstyle. It is closer to a paladin then a DK though. DKs have to properly time death strikes after they take damage, paladins have to properly time SotR usage right before they take damage, warriors can just push shield block/barrier practically whenever, so mitigation works quite differently for all 3.

A paladin who has 50% haste can have 100% uptime of SotR, sounds a bit whenever for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Khorm View Post
    A paladin who has 50% haste can have 100% uptime of SotR, sounds a bit whenever for me.
    Only in very specific circumstances (ie. tanking a fuckton of mobs).
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

10+ Year Old Account
    Tankadin, definitely, although it's not quite the same.

Paladin is very cyclical: AvS > CrS > Judge > Consec/HW/T90/Hammer > repeat (yes I know it's not exactly like that), then shove in Shield or WoG whenever appropriate.

DK is very fluid and impulsive, it's not limited by rotation CDs, just Runes, and generally you're just going:
    DSDSDSDSDSDSDSDSDSDSDSDSDSDSDSDS soul reaper
    DSDSDSDSDSDSDSDSDSDSDSDSDSDSDSDS dnd
    DSDSDSDSDSDSDSDSDSDSDSDSDSDSDSDS soul reaper
    etc. You're not generating resources really, you're just keeping pace with your Runes' regen rates, and the correct choice is always Death Strike. The rest is fine-tuned defensive CD management and a subjective choice of "How much Death Strike, and exactly when?"

Warrior is sort-of in-between. You're limited by CDs — Shield Slam and Revenge want to go off like clockwork at every opportunity, so they're similar to Crusader Strike / Judgement. But you also have a spammable filler (Devastate) which can reset your Shield Slam CD, so it feels sort-of like DK in the spamming-one-button-a-lot part.

What Warrior shares strongly with Pally is the "A or B?" active mitigation, where you choose between Shield Block (Shield of the Righteous) and Shield Barrier (Word of Glory) based on the current damage pattern, and everything you do is about generating the resources for those tools (CrS/Judge/AvS > HP > Shield; Slam/Revenge/Deva > Rage > Shield).

Basically, if Crusader Strike generated no HP but also had no CD and proc'd Grand Crusader, you'd be getting close to the Warrior style.

Quote Originally Posted by Raugnaut View Post
    I disagree there, they feel extremely different. Bear is chaotic and all over the place with 'unsmooth' AM, Warrior is much more methodical with sturdy, 'smooth' AM.
    Last edited by Lovestar; 2014-02-01 at 04:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by blackblade View Post
    I'm thinking warrior is not for you.

If you want to try one out, you should hop on the PTR and do some 5-mans/proving grounds/etc and read up on what to press and when using a premade.

If you want a tank that's more rigid like prot pallies, try a monk, there's no random cooldown resets, your resources are very predictable, and if you're a crit build (what most 10m-normal brewmasters are running) you'll even not have to worry about banking elusive brew stacks while at like 50+% crit.

They're also awesome because they've got great raid healing via gift of the ox, and a fair number of personal-preference style options (DW vs 2h, Mastery vs. Crit, finding the right level of haste, etc.)

They're somewhat avoidance dependant, rather than block (or blood shield) dependant. I wouldn't liken them to an ICC-era Blood DK, but they aren't far off either. They've got fairly strong (rotational) self healing, Can talent into extreme magic resistance (see: BrM solo-tanking H-Malkorok) and Decent mobility, great damage dealing capacity too, and of all the tanks, likely are the most capable at kiting adds (useful for Garrosh P3). They're somewhat vulnerable to stuns (esp. if running with high crit) and have a bit of a learning curve. (keeping shuffle up, keeping enough energy for keg-smash on cooldown while also not capping energy) They're less mobile than Warriors (but moreso than DK's or Pallies), don't have the raid utility that paladins get (hands of iwin at everything) or the combat res that DK's/Druids bring.

Added bonus is that they also have a DPS spec who plays (somewhat) similarly, There's a decent amount of overlap there anyway.

It's somewhat skewed because SoO has given them a lot of fights where they can really shine (even after a flat 15% dps nerf.) Also worth considering that WoD could completely turn the situation back on it's head, so who knows.
    Thanks. I did roll a Panda Monk just for fun. I am only Level 7 in the starter zones, so not spec'd into Tanking yet, but so far this feels very fun, the animations with kicks and swings, and jumps, just seem so refreshing and cool. And I originally laughed at the idea of Pandas in the game, thinking no way in hell would I ever dare play one. But now, I may actually take this guy to 90, or give him the 'Boost' to 90 if that is out soon.

This Panda Monk just seems refreshing and original, and something different that what I normally play. But now sure how cool they look all geared out ? I am used to my bad asss looking Tankadin and DeathTank looking very mean in their Plate gear.