Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Dark Souls crashes on start up with Logitech Rumblepad 2

Good day,
    I have recently installed Dark Souls: Prepare to Die edition. However, as those of you who have played it on the PC know, the keyboard + mouse control scheme is very lacking for this game. So I decided to plug in my good old Logitech Rumblepad 2. This didn't go so well, as the game won't even start anymore. So I started googeling, and soon I found that I needed an xbox 360 emulator. So I downloaded the latest version of x360ce, put it in the right folder, and opened it up so that it could load the configuration file. All is well up to this point, and I can see the correct buttons lighting up in the x360ce app. However, I still can't start dark souls. If I open the game, I just get a black screen and it crashes.

It sounds a lot like #19 on the list here http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=2903653
    Funny as it is, it recommends doing what I did. The only vague hint I have is that when I run x360ce, it says that the configuration file version does not match the x360ce version, but if I search for this error all I get is ways to suppress it, so apparently that doesn't really matter.

It might be worth mentioning that I am also using dsfix (a mod), but playing without it hasn't solved the issue either.

I'd be very grateful if anyone could help me out, and I apologize if this is not the correct forum. It seemed more computer related than to the game itself, as I'm not trying to discuss any gameplay.

10+ Year Old Account
    To understand your issue better, does Dark Souls start up when the controller isn't plugged in? Some basic troubleshooting either way, which I'm sure you've done, but everybody misses something now and then.

Make sure you are using the latest version of dsfix because old versions do not work with the current version of Dark Souls.
    When installing DSfix, make sure you run the game and turn off AA before installing.
    You didn't mention that you are, but if you are using dsmfix (for any of the other perks it offers) then make sure you use the unofficial update.
    Games For Windows Live (GFWL) gave me a shit ton of problems when I first installed Dark Souls. Try uninstalling it from your computer, then re-installing it manually from the official site, instead of installing it from the DS installer.

Deleted
    I am very sorry for not contributing, but

Dark Soul: Instability?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by aikoyamamato View Post
    To understand your issue better, does Dark Souls start up when the controller isn't plugged in? Some basic troubleshooting either way, which I'm sure you've done, but everybody misses something now and then.

Make sure you are using the latest version of dsfix because old versions do not work with the current version of Dark Souls.
    When installing DSfix, make sure you run the game and turn off AA before installing.
    You didn't mention that you are, but if you are using dsmfix (for any of the other perks it offers) then make sure you use the unofficial update.
    Games For Windows Live (GFWL) gave me a shit ton of problems when I first installed Dark Souls. Try uninstalling it from your computer, then re-installing it manually from the official site, instead of installing it from the DS installer.
    Hey, thanks for the quick reply. I think it would be easiest to just answer step by step, so here goes:
    To begin with, I am indeed using the latest version of DSfix. I've also turned off AA (and blur) inside the game, and I can run the game fine with the controller unplugged, I can move and everything. I'm also not using DSMfix, as I plan on playing with the controller. Now I've read through the documentation rather hastily, but as far as I can tell it doesn't offer any benefits for controllers, right?
    GFWL has indeed also been giving me quite a few issues, and I have manually installed it as well. It made it possible to get into the game, but sadly it still crashes the moment I plug in a controller.

Any idea where to go from here?

Quote Originally Posted by Vorcion View Post
    I am very sorry for not contributing, but

Dark Soul: Instability?
    Haha yeah, I have been warned, but without a console to play on I figured I should at least give it a shot, after all the great reviews it has received

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctordecay View Post
    Any idea where to go from here?
    Uninstall x360ce and install motioninjoy instead. This should give you better options for setting up the controller type (if I'm looking at the right controller that you own, a PS2/PS3 setup may work better than X360). Let me know how that goes.

Deleted
    Uninstall x360ce and install motioninjoy instead. This should give you better options for setting up the controller type (if I'm looking at the right controller that you own, a PS2/PS3 setup may work better than X360). Let me know how that goes.
    I'm afraid that (as far as I can tell) that only works for a PS3 controller, not for the logitech controller I have. I tried installing it too, just to try, but it doesn't see my controller as connected.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm afraid that (as far as I can tell) that only works for a PS3 controller, not for the logitech controller I have. I tried installing it too, just to try, but it doesn't see my controller as connected.
    Motion in Joy should be compatible with both PS3/360 controllers. Try reloading the drivers. I'm unfortunately not at home to give you an accurate way to do this, but there should be a Drivers tab in the motioninjoy program that will let you do so. You should be able to uninstall and reinstall from there as well.

Actually, Google found me this: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-BxjVbMeAlU.../motionjoy.jpg
    So you are looking for Driver Manager at the top, and select the 360 controller option.

Edit: I misunderstood what you meant, but I'm very sure I used a Logitech controller before with motioninjoy. I am researching this now
    Last edited by -aiko-; 2014-01-31 at 09:26 PM.

Deleted
    Right, well part of the issue might be coming from DINPUT8.dll. Both dsfix and x360ce have this file, but 'some forum user on the internet' wrote that I should just not copy the DINPUT8 from x360ce and stick with the one from dsfix. Maybe this is the source of the issue? I don't know what this does, but it seems a little sketchy.

The reason I say so is because in here http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=2900867

somethere is a dinput mask library called "dinput8.dll" in the x360ce Google Code project libraries zip download. You need that to be around the game executalbe. To make it work with DSfix you have to chainload it.

But I don't really know what this means. Moreover, in that post, they don't experience the crash I do when starting the game.
    Last edited by mmocfa6f192d70; 2014-01-31 at 09:41 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm yeah that's the input wrapper so if that is corrupt/incompatible that would be the cause of the issue. It would inject itself into the program when it starts, and that could cause the crash. Try getting a fresh slate, uninstalling both controller emulators, then using the x360ce DLL.

Deleted
    Hm alright, so I uninstalled MotionInJoy, I removed all the files associated with dsfix and I deleted all the x360ce files too. Did a reboot, and then put in the x360ce files again. The result of which.. is the same as with dsfix. A black screen on start up, which crashes after a few seconds.

I suppose what is also of interest is that if I unplug the controller / disable it in device manager, all is good. But I suppose these two things are equivalent.

Edit: I use the latest versions of the x360ce files on their website, but I've also tried with a few older ones, unsuccessfully as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    The issue needs to be the wrapper. It sure is a pain in the ass to get this working huh? I'm getting flashbacks from my experience with Dark Souls. xD Such a terrible port, but such an amazing game. Worth the headache.

Going purely off of memory here, but this is my last idea before I tell you to wait until I get home. Using the DLL from x360ce, rename it to dinputwrapper.dll. Put it in the game directory (where dsfix should be, if not in put it in the dsfix directory) and open the dsfix configuration file in notepad. Down at the bottom (or top, sorry memory is fuzzy and all) find the line for Dinput dll chaining/wrapping. Change dsmfix.dll to dinputwrapper.dll, save it, and run the game.

Deleted
    Aha, we might be getting somewhere here. I did as you said above, and now I am met with an error from the Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

Runtime error!
    Program ..... \Dark Souls\DATA.exe
    R6030
    - CRT not initialized

Now I've googled on this a little, but this seems like a whole other beast entirely.. I'll look into it a bit more. I have vs2010 sp1 redist 2010 and 2012, the x86 version. I do have an x64 OS, but most websites say to use the 86 version anyhow.

And indeed yeah, more than the usual amount of head ache for a pc game. Better be as good as advertised!
    Last edited by mmocfa6f192d70; 2014-01-31 at 10:18 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Double post incoming! I managed to download the dsfix zip on my work firewall (you have no idea how many mirrors I had to go through). The option I'm talking about it is on the bottom of the config file. Don't replace the line that says dsmfix.dll, replace the line above it. If it says none, that could be your problem. In any case, replace that line (that says "none" or "whatever.dll") with the dinputwrapper.dll I told you to create.

Edit: Hey hey, you beat me.

This is a good start! Go to the MS website and download the libraries.

Deleted
    Double post incoming! I managed to download the dsfix zip on my work firewall (you have no idea how many mirrors I had to go through). The option I'm talking about it is on the bottom of the config file. Don't replace the line that says dsmfix.dll, replace the line above it. If it says none, that could be your problem. In any case, replace that line (that says "none" or "whatever.dll") with the dinputwrapper.dll I told you to create.

Edit: Hey hey, you beat me.
    Yeah I also edited my post before you replied, but I've already downloaded and installed (well, re-installed, as they were already there) http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl....aspx?id=26999 and http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl....aspx?id=30679. But the error is still there I'm afraid. Installed both x64 and x86, to be sure.

But now that you mention the trouble it takes to download the zip file, I'd like to thank you so much for taking all of this time to help me out! It is very, very much appreciated.
    Last edited by mmocfa6f192d70; 2014-01-31 at 10:36 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    No worries! I actually enjoy this kind of stuff. The satisfaction of figuring out a problem isn't only a relief for the person with the problem.

Okay, so it's definitely a problem with the framework. Here are some thing I'd like you to download:

.NET 3.5
    .NET 4.5
    DX Runtime
    Visual 2012
    Visual SP1 Update

This should prevent this from happening to other applications too.

10+ Year Old Account
    What version of x360ce are you using? I had to revert to an old x360ce for my DS4 controller, which has the same mapping as a rumblepad.

Personally I'd remove all traces of MiJx cause it's well... shit.
    Last edited by Remilia; 2014-01-31 at 10:41 PM.

Deleted
    Alright, I've installed all but the two .nets, as they take a little longer. So we'll see what happens after them, but no luck so far.

The version thing might be relevant. I'm using x360ce_lib32_r848_VS2010 with x360ce.App-2.1.2.191 which are both very new. Any others you would recommend trying instead? And should I also add their .dll to the dsfix.ini?

On a side note, this might just be me not understanding what is going on, but isn't the fact that the game crashes with a controller plugged in, regardless of running x360ce, a little odd? As in, even if I'm not trying to get the controller working, the game still won't start.

10+ Year Old Account
    On a side note, this might just be me not understanding what is going on, but isn't the fact that the game crashes with a controller plugged in, regardless of running x360ce, a little odd? As in, even if I'm not trying to get the controller working, the game still won't start.
    Definitely. It is baffling, really. All signs point to the input wrapper though. Even if you do not have x360ce installed, DSfix tries to load either its own wrapper or the one you tell it to. Which gives me more ideas, but let's see how this one goes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Alright, I've installed all but the two .nets, as they take a little longer. So we'll see what happens after them, but no luck so far.

The version thing might be relevant. I'm using x360ce_lib32_r848_VS2010 with x360ce.App-2.1.2.191 which are both very new. Any others you would recommend trying instead? And should I also add their .dll to the dsfix.ini?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/35156/Argh.rar
    This is the one I'm using. It's umm... forgot what revision, lol. Ignore the file name.

Could be two conflicting software.

When you uninstalled MiJx did you also have it remove the driver files? Maybe remove dsfix first and see how it goes.

Deleted
    Installing all the microsoft software didn't help sadly, still the same errors. I'll give Remilia's suggestion a try now and edit afterwards!

Edit: Doesn't work either, sadly. Same crash, with or without dsfix. And yeah, I had it remove all the driver files, the slightly sketchy interface of the software gave me the idea that it might be a good idea to clean it all up, if I took it off.

Is it maybe possible to see what causes the crash in a report somewhere? It doesn't say so when the program stops responding, but maybe it's stored somewhere?

With all this trouble, I'm wondering if it's not just worth playing it with keyboard + mouse..
    Last edited by mmocfa6f192d70; 2014-01-31 at 11:22 PM.