Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreknar20 View Post
    why?
    If a powerful mage was out for your blood you wouldn't be a bit uncomfortable?
    I meant the "Herp, i did nothing" respone when Jaina confronted Aethas shortly before the purge.

What's so suspicious about him saying he did nothing when accused of a crime? Yeah the *shifts nervously* was suspicious but not so much his dialogue in dalaran itself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreknar20 View Post
    Kinda funny
    I figured if Aethas was 'caught between loyalties' he would have chosen Dalaran, given his decisions in Tides of War
    Guess his perspective changed when Jaina took the reigns
    Which is odd because he advocated for her to be the leader.

Quote Originally Posted by Malzra View Post
    What's so suspicious about him saying he did nothing when accused of a crime? Yeah the *shifts nervously* was suspicious but not so much his dialogue in dalaran itself.
    You rip things out of context.

His Response in Dalaran would have been suspicous if he knew nothing of Garrosh's Plans, this a "what if" case, to show that his response is so damn stupid in a scenario where he did not knew of Garroshs plans.

Quote Originally Posted by Malzra View Post
    It wasnt what he said, but the way he said it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkvoltinx View Post
    didnt the book also state that Jaina would have wiped out 90% of the alliance navy with the tidal wave too?
    What does it matter? She didn't know they were there at the time, she thought they were going to attack Feathermoon or Darkshore. The Alliance fleet was going to be wiped out by Garrosh's kraken anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    What does it matter? She didn't know they were there at the time, she thought they were going to attack Feathermoon or Darkshore. The Alliance fleet was going to be wiped out by Garrosh's kraken anyway.
    magic=root of all evil?

question why the hell the focusing iris not destroyed after the bullshit jaina almost did and the mana bomb bullshit too? i dont trust anyone with that thing still existing.
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    I meant the "Herp, i did nothing" respone when Jaina confronted Aethas shortly before the purge.
    well it wouldn't be very prudent to say that he didn't sanction it, but neither did nothing to hinder it.
    Seems better to me to feign ignorance and cross your fingers Jaina vents her wrath against someone else
    We have faced trials and danger, threats to our world and our way of life. And yet, we persevere. We are the Horde. We will not let anything break our spirits!"

So it seems that I was right one more time. Remember that I told you that Aethas and his Sunreavers weren't innocent as you claimed? I am tired of being right.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth-Pinkaminus-Piekus View Post
    So it seems that I was right one more time. Remember that I told you that Aethas and his Sunreavers weren't innocent as you claimed? I am tired of being right.
    So according to blizz aethas knew about it but chose not to report it to his superior which is a mage who he knows is very biased towards a faction that his faction is at war with.

To me it shows that aethas isnt that stupid because it shows he has his ears to the ground on what is going on. Like i said he was put in an impossible situation and he felt the best course of action was to keep his mouth shut and play it dumb.

Not all the sunreavers knew what was happening because this happened by garrosh/horde loyalists and garrosh paid spies in the sunreavers.

As ive said countless times had jaina not poked her nose and helped darnassus, had the nelfs done a better job at guarding the bell then the sunreavers would not have been needed to help steal the bell.

EDIT* i would also like to point out how stupid the nelfs are becuase that dying sentinel tells the horde exactly where the bell is when she dies haha oh lord why didnt she say its safely in ironforge or someshit lol
    Last edited by yetgdhfgh; 2014-02-02 at 12:28 PM.

You do realise that this would never happen if the Horde didn't have an idiot for a Warchief right? Trying to shift blame for everything that happened to someone else is childish. The only one responsible for everything is Garrosh and for a smaller extent to those that followed him before the betrayal.

You need to understand that any neutral faction leader would have done the same as Jaina after a betrayal like this. The only reason you could see only the Alliance, the Kirin Tor and the Shando Pan during the Siege of Orgrimmar and not the rest of the neutral factions also there is because Blizzard didn't had time to develop it.

Haven't you noticed that most of the fanatic Horde fans (mostly those WHO were pro Garrosh and some others which have very low knowledge about the lore of the game) always blame The Alliance and the neutral factions for defending? That to me says everything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Some input from Sarah Pine on Tumblr, one of Blizzard's writers (In the Shadow of the Sun, Heart of War, Quest for Pandaria etc.):

Quote Originally Posted by Part 1
    Ahhh, Dave’s actually talking about this publicly! Me and Mike Sacco asked him about it on his facebook back when 5.1 was current, and he said there was supposed to be an extra scene that bugged out and didn’t show up in the actual game. Horde-side, when you were stealing the Bell from Darnassus, Aethas was supposed to find your portal, follow you in and go “what are you doing? You can’t use Kirin Tor resources for the war effort.” and the orc you’re with gets nose to nose with him and says “You’d better decide where you’re loyalties lie, ELF.” And Aethas slinks back through the portal to Dalaran saying he saw nothing.

So yeah, Aethas knew about the bell—but by accident. Fanlyr was acting on his own, and seemed to have no intention of telling him about it.

We never said anything because Dave thought that the rampant speculation re: Aethas’ loyalties was great to watch and asked us to be quiet about it. It wasn’t Blizzard’s intention for that to be a mystery, it just happened that way.

Right, and that event on the IoT was supposed to be an obvious reference to what the player would have already known, had the bugged event actually been in the game—i.e. that Aethas HAD found out about the Bell, so he didn’t know “nothing”. It wasn’t supposed to put his loyalties into question; it was supposed to be a reaffirmation of what we already knew—that he had turned a blind eye.

The difference is that Jaina is essentially accusing Aethas of being an active participant in the deception, which he wasn’t. Aethas was, truly, a Kirin Tor loyal. Until he stumbled upon what Fanlyr (and us, the players, lets be honest) were up to. The problem with finding out in such a clumsy way is that, if he had gone straight to Jaina and told her what was going on, Garrosh would have known EXACTLY who spilled the beans, which would have likely put a lot of blood elf lives in immediate danger, because there’s no way Garrosh would have let that go. And if Aethas said nothing? Well, that’s the option he chose and we saw how that panned out.

Aethas basically blundered into a situation in which he could either bring down Garrosh’s wrath on the blood elves, or Jaina’s. He gambled with Jania’s. He, and the blood elves as a whole, would have lost either way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Part 2
    I seriously loved learning that because it makes it so clear that Aethas was just in way, way over his head. I’m really, really sad that none of that has been followed up on in canon lore (yet?) because there’s such rich potential in it. Honestly, I was kind of desperate for a scene in which Lor’themar learned that Aethas DID actually know about the bell and blew his freakin top over it; considering that Lor’themar, at least, seemed to genuinely believe Aethas was innocent.

And, honestly, he was kind of innocent. Kind of. He got fleeced, hardcore. Poor Aethas indeed…
    Such a shame that bugged out. That one little scene would've tied up so many loose ends.
    Last edited by Zaelsino; 2014-02-02 at 04:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaelsino View Post
    Some input from Sarah Pine on Tumblr, one of Blizzard's writers (In the Shadow of the Sun, Heart of War, Quest for Pandaria etc.):

Such a shame that bugged out. That one little scene would've tied up so many loose ends.
    after reading that. i really wished they would have put it in.
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

Deleted
    Thanks for sharing.

I can't honestly tell if Aethas' decision of not telling was the best or not. In the long term, it seems it was, the Blood Elves got stronger and more independent than if Aethas decided to tell, pushing Quel'thalas to the Alliance camp.

10+ Year Old Account
    I truly wish that had been in the game.
    It doesn't make Aethas look incompetent while it also justifies Jaina's actions that much more. It makes the whole Purge of Dalaran so much more grey in terms of its morality especially on the Horde side after this new development.
    Last edited by Scummer; 2014-02-02 at 05:55 PM.

that's the stupidest thing I've read all week

how the fuck is he afraid of Garrosh hurting the BEs, he has to go all the way to a different continent for that, if he rats out Nazgrim it takes them a while to figure out they have been betrayed unless Garrosh can suddenly mind read everyone at the same time, Dalaran could go and protect the BEs, plus you know, the whole fucking alliance army next door to all of them

Is Sylvanas suddenly going to go "oh kill some BEs? sure" is Baine? or Vol'jin? where the fuck would Garrosh get the resources to crush a prepared and expecting BE+alliance+Dalaran+potential other horde races armies on a different continent?
    this shit is insane

Quote Originally Posted by Enosh View Post
    that's the stupidest thing I've read all week

how the fuck is he afraid of Garrosh hurting the BEs, he has to go all the way to a different continent for that, if he rats out Nazgrim it takes them a while to figure out they have been betrayed unless Garrosh can suddenly mind read everyone at the same time, Dalaran could go and protect the BEs, plus you know, the whole fucking alliance army next door to all of them

Is Sylvanas suddenly going to go "oh kill some BEs? sure" is Baine? or Vol'jin? where the fuck would Garrosh get the resources to crush a prepared and expecting BE+alliance+Dalaran+potential other horde races armies on a different continent?
    this shit is insane
    Dalaran protecting the belves? The revolution was entirely unknown at the time, Vol'jin was presumed dead and the other horde leaders did not know where the others stood, it was still chaos it could have been disastrous for the belves from his point of view, we know Garrosh wouldn't have had the resources but Aethas did not know that.

That leaves one thing though, that idiot should have left the city with his people, once Jaina demanded it. That way he dragged the other sunreavers down.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Scummer View Post
    I truly wish that had been in the game.
    It doesn't make Aethas look incompetent while it also justifies Jaina's actions that much more. It makes the whole Purge of Dalaran so much more grey in terms of its morality especially on the Horde side after this new development.
    Yeah, exactly. It would've stifled discussion a bit but the whole thing would've flowed so much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Combatbulter View Post
    That leaves one thing though, that idiot should have left the city with his people, once Jaina demanded it. That way he dragged the other sunreavers down.
    This. He had a decent motive, but he shot himself in the face when Jaina confronted him.

This. He had a decent motive, but he shot himself in the face when Jaina confronted him.
    I guess he underestimated how pissed she was and that she wouldn't be so harsh, considering how often he outright supported her, still such a bad move, not to mention dumb move.

It seems wearing a mask did not help his pokerface ;P

I thought he suspected something was going on in his ranks, but didn't take action till it was too late, which ended up in the deaths of many of his people. He felt ashamed for his inaction, when Jaina accused him and Lor'themar defended him in Isle of Thunder. So, almost got it right. The difference is that instead of merely suspecting he knew what was going on and chose not to interfere, though he should have. I still think it was because of his lack of experience and young age. He was incompetent in not foreseeing how bad it would be for Sunreavers should Kirin Tor find out. Rommath would've just said eff to that shit and zapped the Garrosh loyalists into dust. But, it's nice we finally do have confirmation that at least Aethas wasn't in on the plot, he merely allowed it to go on. The upcoming book might have him face some sort of retribution, as the theme will be the unveiling of everything that's been going on around the war. Many people on both sides turned into warcriminals.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.