Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    Titan
    10+ Year Old Account

Dungeon Deserter is awful.

Playing Priest, I queued as healer and DPS. Got DPS every time all day (leveling up through Northrend). I didn't really take notice of what I got accepted as in the last dungeon and I just kept playing as Shadow, until I noticed that we were wiping on the first boss and people wondered what I was doing.
    I admitted I failed, and I apologized for it, it was a really stupid miss of me, but I was distracted and I didn't pay attention. While leveling, I often just go auto-pilot, watching some series and such to get the boredom away. I get called a retard and other less flattering things.

Then, the tank pulls just as I've barely managed to switch to Holy, so I've got barely any mana when he pulls the ENTIRE ROOM.
    He fails to tank all the mobs, so they start attacking just about everyone, me included. I can't keep it up, because I get silenced, I have adds on me and I'm rooted. We ofcourse, wipe again.
    And they give me even more shit, but this time I stand up for myself, telling him to stop calling other people things when he fails to do anything right on his own.

Ofcourse, I don't want to stay in a group like that. They were toxic, disrespectful, trolling me and plain dumb. So I leave. I'm not gonna help people like that. And I get a dungeon deserter debuff.
    So I get a 30 minute debuff, I get a punishment, for leaving a group that treated me like shit. Where is the sense in that?

This debuff makes no sense. It deters no-one from bad behavior, but it punishes people who haven't done anything wrong. It should be lowered or removed. It makes no sense to keep it. If you don't like people and you don't want to queue with them again, that's easily achieved.

15+ Year Old Account
    The debuff is more aimed toward fixing the potential problem of people leaving just because they random an instance they don't like or a raid that is already in progress. If the group is too much for you, just get yourself kicked.

10+ Year Old Account
    I do agree that you getting it, in that situation, sucks (in fact, I didn't think you got it at all after a wipe? maybe that's just LFR, haven't left an LFD in years). but overall, I think it does more Good than harm.

It wasn't really intended with toxic attitudes in mind, it was intended to keep people (especially tanks and healers) from leaving after they killed a specific boss/dinged to the next level, etc. or to stop newcomers to a run that somebody did leave from instantly leaving because the run wasn't fresh.

Usually, what I would do in that situation (trust me, one healer to another, it's not common to see attitudes like that, but it's not as rare as it should be either) is just throw the offenders on /ignore, and continue with the run, I usually just figure, sure I may be helping them finish their run (usually, if it's a 5 man, I'll let a few of them die a few times, if it won't cause a wipe ;p), but at the same time, I'm not going to let a few bad apples ruin my run either

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lohe View Post
    The debuff is more aimed toward fixing the potential problem of people leaving just because they random an instance they don't like or a raid that is already in progress. If the group is too much for you, just get yourself kicked.
    Unfortunately (again, at least in LFR, not sure if it pertains to LFD), you still get the debuff for being kicked, unless you killed a boss/wiped.
    so Warlords of Draenor is /'woɹː.loɹːdz ʌv 'ɖɹæːn.oɹː/.
    I've always loved how in an attempt to make pronunciation through text easier to understand people have created a seemingly alien cypher for which few people without a degree related to language would ever been able to understand.

My experience is if you leave after killing a boss you don't get deserter, sadly to say I have used this before to my advantage, that one low level dungeon where one of the quests is to kill the Lava golem right to the left once you enter basically comes to mind, one of the Blackrocks maybe. Group decided to run off on their own, all dps mind you, and my gf and I as the tank and healer went and killed the golem and left. Also all the dps had the quest, so not sure why they were giving such a hard time.

But if it makes you feel better, I've have similar things where I queue in, and don't realize I'm in the right spec right away, and I'm not watching anything as a distraction!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryuda View Post
    Usually, what I would do in that situation (trust me, one healer to another, it's not common to see attitudes like that, but it's not as rare as it should be either) is just throw the offenders on /ignore, and continue with the run, I usually just figure, sure I may be helping them finish their run (usually, if it's a 5 man, I'll let a few of them die a few times, if it won't cause a wipe ;p), but at the same time, I'm not going to let a few bad apples ruin my run either
    This. Just use the right click option for Report->Language to silence them for the rest of the run and keep going. Granted that they don't decide to kick you instead.

Dungeon Deserter is there for a reason; it's so people won't do things like queue as a tank and get into a dungeon instantly, only to leave right away and get no punishment for it. Also in case people think the group is going to be bad, and leaves because of his elitist attitude.

I'm sorry you had to deal with such a bunch of awful people, though. I usually just quest up to 90 myself. I can't be bothered with a bunch of random people who often aren't nice, or just aren't that good (might be a bit selfish to say that, I know). I'd rather wait until level 90 when I can queue with people I know are nice, and know what they're doing.

This is a classic case of "Do no wrong" syndrome which is infecting the population of most MMOs these days. I feel like the deserter debuff protects me from people like you and I like it. Had you decided it was prudent to be bothered by the game long enough to know what role you were going in with, the 2nd wipe wouldn't have happened because you would've had the mana to deal with it. Aside from that, it's awfully pretentious of you to expect people to forgive you of your over sight of your assigned roll while you lack the courtesy to overlook the tanks oversight of your mana, which is as it turns out is NOT accompanied by a giant box pop up with a giant role icon.

You engaged in the talks and allowed misunderstanding and oversight to drive you away from the group, which was only a result of the group having lost patience with you due to a self admitted mistake - how understanding and patient do you expect others to be with you when you yourself can't return the favor?. An adult would have ignored the banter, simply apologized again for not having mana from the re-spec and tried marking targets on the next pull to assist the tank in doing a better job because its unreasonable to believe low level characters are all seasoned multi-alt veterans of the game. The deserter debuff prevents you from ruining another group for 30 minutes.

10+ Year Old Account
    chances are the tank did a fool stunt like that to get someone to leave, so he could leave without debuff, and get an instant que.
    Still I cry, tears like pouring rain, Innocent is my lurid pain.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryuda View Post
    Unfortunately (again, at least in LFR, not sure if it pertains to LFD), you still get the debuff for being kicked, unless you killed a boss/wiped.
    Uhm, I've done this and I've never gotten deserter for it. Maybe if you teleport out and wait to get kicked while outside.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmmm? I thought the debuff will not be applied if you wipe.

I'm sorry but if you can't be bothered to pay enough attention to know what role you are going into the dungeon as when the big fricken box comes up that shows your role and makes you click "accept" you deserve the debuff and worse. People like you are part of the reason lfd/lfr continue to get worse, because you are so self-absorbed that you think only you matter. You didn't even glance at the others in the group to see which one was the healer?? Knowing everyone's roles helps the group but that's too much work for you isn't it? You don't care about the group just yourself.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    People still do that thoug, frequently.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Without the debuff it is too easy for players to discriminate based on ilvl. With the current system you have to at least give the group a chance by going through the first boss. Yes, some groups are bad. But there aren't many dungeons that take all that long to get to the first boss. Just stick it out and drop after the first boss if they're really that bad.
    I suppose that's true. Grit my teeth and bear with it until after the first boss.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fang7986 View Post
    I'm sorry but if you can't be bothered to pay enough attention to know what role you are going into the dungeon as when the big fricken box comes up that shows your role and makes you click "accept" you deserve the debuff and worse. People like you are part of the reason lfd/lfr continue to get worse, because you are so self-absorbed that you think only you matter. You didn't even glance at the others in the group to see which one was the healer?? Knowing everyone's roles helps the group but that's too much work for you isn't it? You don't care about the group just yourself.
    It was a mistake I've never done before. One simple mistake that I apologized for.
    No, I'm not. You seem to be though. Judgemental, elitist, toxic, rude, arrogant.

It was a mistake.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    It would be much more prevalent without the debuff.
    You could try just doing what I do a lot of the time, have a chat tab that doesn't show instance chat and ignore the people.

10+ Year Old Account
    so you enter a dg as a healer and dont heal, your group wipes because you didnt do your job as the healer
    you wasted their time by not doing your job and then leave
    you get debuff and complain cause its wasting your time
    who didnt do their job? you.
    you wasted their time and yet you complain that your time is wasted with a debuff
    and you have the nerve to call them dumb
    think about your own actions and how they felt when you wasted their time

10+ Year Old Account
    i hear ignore function is usefull

Deleted
    OP: stop whinning like a todler and accept it. It was your fault not seeein wich role youre in
    (seriously how bad are you grp frames? even dafault ones show your role!)
    and if u leave a grp u deserve punishment.

Quote Originally Posted by Csnyder View Post
    so you enter a dg as a healer and dont heal, your group wipes because you didnt do your job as the healer
    you wasted their time by not doing your job and then leave
    you get debuff and complain cause its wasting your time
    who didnt do their job? you.
    you wasted their time and yet you complain that your time is wasted with a debuff
    and you have the nerve to call them dumb
    think about your own actions and how they felt when you wasted their time
    Maybe you need some coles notes:

-Had been queueing as dps/heals all day.
    -Had not realised that the queue was heals.
    -Wiped
    -aplogised, and switched specs.
    -Tank pulls when healer has no mana. (You start with 0 mana after changing specs.)
    -Group bitches at heals for not healing.
    -Healer Quits.

Where in that do you get "Does not do job as healer"?
    Where in that do you get "Wastes thier time by not doing thier job"?

As a tank, you're wasting the groups time by pulling an entire room when the healer is at 0 mana.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post

I suppose that's true. Grit my teeth and bear with it until after the first boss.

- - - Updated - - -

It was a mistake I've never done before. One simple mistake that I apologized for.
    No, I'm not. You seem to be though. Judgemental, elitist, toxic, rude, arrogant.

It was a mistake.
    whos mistake was it....yours
    and now you call them arrogant yet you seem so arrogant yourself by posting this and blaming them for the debuff, who didnt do their and then left? you.....you deserve the debuff and you are toxic and rude for wasting their time and arrogant for blaming others for your own actions
    if you cant do the time dont do the crime
    yes i know it was a mistake but it was your mistake....own up to it, take responsability for your own actions like a normal adult for once in your life

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by blackblade View Post

-Wiped
    -Tank pulls when healer has no mana. (You start with 0 mana after changing specs.)
    -Healer Quits.

As a tank, you're wasting the groups time by pulling an entire room when the healer is at 0 mana.
    he was the healer as he said
    he didnt do his job as the healer.......as he said
    that is where i get it from
    the tank was doing his job and the healer wasnt as he said
    yes the tank made a mistake too but two wrong doesnt make him right......lol
    read his post again...he said so himself that he didnt do his job as a healer
    Maybe you need some coles notes .!.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by blackblade View Post

-Wiped
    -Healer Quits.

aplogised doesnt erase a mistake

15+ Year Old Account
    Be a disc priest, do both anyway, even the tank if you wanted to be.

It doesn't matter if you're a perfect player 99% of the time. These random people aren't with you for all of that time. To them, the only time that it mattered is the time you screwed up. You may feel that you have a justified defense, but you need to consider their perspectives too.

As far as the deserter debuff, you *did* desert the group rather than sticking it out and resolving the situation. As a result you're stuck being unable to queue, and they're stuck for however long waiting for a new healer. It kind of sucks, but again the game isn't all about you.