Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    Red Mage, I believe, has already been mentioned along with ninja and samurai as being classes we can expect in the future.

At least my monk has a gear set designed to look like a ninja. And there's a red mage-ish armor set as well. It's a start, anyway

As for housing, fear not...it really looks like housing in XIV, both FC and player, will be leaps and bounds beyond what Mog Housing offered. Furniture is still going to definitely be around too.
    Omg I LOOOOOOVE the Red Mage set... Hell I think that was one of my major goals in FFXI XD

Btw, what would you recommend I class as for a Red Mage (thinking for the future), just to get started? Probably Thermaturge and Conjuror?
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Oh, I will say that the voice acting is sub-par compared to WoW's, at least in English.

I'm debating watching a few of them in Japanese with subtitles and see what I think of them. (All cut scenes ((like in XI)) can be viewed from an inn room).

Deleted
    I find it funny how ppl said they played for 4 weeks and tell u there is no end game and dont play. The 2nd post doesnt seem to know what he talks about. I guess he never did coil and turn 5. I guess ppl need to play MMOs 12h a day to feel it has enough content LOL.

There have been updates past those 4 weeks with housing, 3 new 4man dungeons (I think it was 3), a raid, extreme modes of primals, PvP, moogle king. Thats what I know (might be more) though I dont play it myself anymore because Im tired of MMOs as they are all the same anyway. But if I would start with an MMO again it would be FF14.

Regarding "hard to move out from aoe" yes & no. You just have to be somewhat fast compared to WoW. Though the first month there were heavy lag on the servers so it made it harder to avoid but it should be better now. But with that said u will have to be faster to move out from aoe as I think its slower updating your position in the game compared to WoW.

If you are a fan of FF you will have a lot of fun. I thought it was awsome to fight primals = summons (and all the different names they have in FF games) and what not + its beautiful. The first dungeons are really easy though (but thats the case with any MMOs).

But still WoW have the best PvP & PvE for any MMO though FF14 is the 2nd best (IMO) and Im way too bored of WoW and its graphics.

oh and yeah its quite a lot of text in it. Not much voice acting at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    Oh, I will say that the voice acting is sub-par compared to WoW's, at least in English.

I'm debating watching a few of them in Japanese with subtitles and see what I think of them. (All cut scenes ((like in XI)) can be viewed from an inn room).
    Oh no... Voice acting...

*Watches anime (very infrequently) in dubs over subs*

So yeah, not an issue for me XD

Btw, any recommendations on servers to play on? (Would prefer a med-high pop; not too high, but not too small) Also offering recruiting me if there's any recruit benefits
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Quote Originally Posted by Polarthief View Post
    Omg I LOOOOOOVE the Red Mage set... Hell I think that was one of my major goals in FFXI XD

Btw, what would you recommend I class as for a Red Mage (thinking for the future), just to get started? Probably Thermaturge and Conjuror?
    Thermaturge, Conjurer, and Gladiator would be my guess.

I almost suspect new jobs to require 3 classes to unlock, but that is pure speculation on my part with zero indication to support it whatsoever.

Also, you can have the cut scenes in GERMAN with English subtitles too. *snicker*

Deleted

Thuntamage (or whatever) becomes Black Mage (dps) while conjuror become a healer, white mage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Glad to have ypu onboard trying it. And the price differences were sale vs non sale.

Overall I find the armory system is better seen pretty much all wats to explain make it SEEM more complex then it is...Basically imagine if to play a DK you needed a 30 paladin(your class) and a 15 Warlock...That would let you equip an accessory that will turn your paladin into a DK ONLY as long as it is equipped.

Now as for cross class skills.

Imagine your toon in WoW could be multiple classes like say a mage and Priest.

In FFXIV you could put some priest skills on your mage and vice versa.

Basically you can mix and match some skills.

Also each class has one role..Warriors ONLY tank or OT.

other then that yes we get new content.

Yes there is housing with player housing incoming.

as for high end gear you don't even need to raid for non BIS buuut raiding is for BiS and fun.

Overall yes try it...And yes everything IS explained.

Oh and it DOES have a cheaper sub of 12.99 for one character per server up to 8...You only need one character to see pretty much everything start cities aside.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    Oh and it DOES have a cheaper sub of 12.99 for one character per server up to 8...You only need one character to see pretty much everything start cities aside.
    Ooh, nice to hear I get a few bucks off every month FFXI did the same with a start up fee of like $11/month with +$1/month per character. Don't need any more than one, really

10+ Year Old Account
    "Is there a reason to go out into the world and explore or do things besides just the endgame content at endgame?" was more or less the words that I failed to type
    Well, I'll be honest - the zones are not as big as I've come to expect in other games. They are absolutely beautiful and a huge improvement over the 1.0 version of the game, but they very much have that "woo...I'm in another canyon..." feeling ot them. However, there are lots of things like fishing, for instance, that will take you to out of the way places, as well as Treasure Hunts that can take you to random places. I for some reason forgot to mention Treasure Hunts, but they are basically maps you find through Gathering professions and either solo or group up with friends to take down some monsters and find some shinies.

Could you go a bit more in-depth in a comparison to, say, WoW's profession system? While I did play FFXI for a bit, I never got too far in the professions. The one thing I remember enjoying though was finding trees to chop down to use in Woodworking to make new furniture for my Mog House
    Sure. So, there are several professions.

Crafting Professions (Disciples of the Hand) include Culinarian (Cooking), Weaving (Tailoring), Goldsmith (Jewelcrafting), Alchemy (which is pretty much just like Alchemy in WoW), Carpentry, Leatherworking, Armorsmith, Blacksmith. I think that's it - I may have left one out!

Gathering Professions (Disciples of the Land) include Botany (think Herbalism from WoW or Foraging from Rift), Mining (self-explanatory), and Fishing.

Every Profession is an actual class, just like the base classes. They each have their own XP bar, and you go into the class by equipping its primary tool. Crafting classes and Gathering classes have their own stats - Crafting focuses on Craftsmanship, Control, and CP (Crafting Points); whereas Gathering focuses on Gathering, Perception (for HQ items), and GP (Gathering Points). You equip crafting or gathering gear to raise your scores in each of these categories. Each Craft or Gather has a full set of "Artifact" gear that it can wear at level 50, that's the "iconic" look for the profession. Unlike Disciples of War (i.e. the PvE classes), which get their Artifact sets through the final quests, Artifact gear for Crafters/Gatherers is made by other Crafters/Gatherers.

There's also a Materia system (like Jewelcrafting but a bit harsher) that is used somewhat in PVE but is primarily used in Crafting to raise scores past what you can get from gear alone.

When you Craft, you are trying to raise the Quality of the item (i.e. the chance for it to be High Quality) while balancing that with the progress you need to make to finish the item. You have a set amount of Durability on each item, and if you use up all of your Durability before finishing the craft, you fail and lose the items. However, each Crafting prof has a variety of tools to use to both extend the Durability of an item and make it easier to raise quality and progress.

It's pretty in-depth and it would take me a while to fully explain.

Sadly, I've only played DDO. However, this sounds more akin to Final Fantasy (1) where (SPOILER FOR A SUPER OLD GAME) halfway through the game, all your characters "Class Up", like the Fighter turns into a Paladin, Thief to Ninja, the "Mages" to Wizards, and the Black Belt to Master. Except, in the 13th sequel, there's just a branching pathway instead of X becomes Y. Is that about right?
    Sort of. Just remmeber that you never lose the base class. Unequip the Soul Stone and you go back to being the Conjurer, Arcanist, Marauder, whatever.

THIS is where you lost me... Kinda. So basically, there's 4(?) base classes, and these evolve into the "Jobs" that Final Fantasy is known for, such as Red Mage, Thief, Dragoon, etc? If that's what it is, any chance I could get a chart or breakdown of the base classes and then the jobs you can be from that?
    There's more than 4. Here, let me try to help.

Base Classes:

Arcanist - Ranged Magical DPS with a Pet
    Archer - Ranged Physical DPS with Bows
    Conjurer - Healer
    Gladiator - Sword & Shield Tank
    Lancer - Melee DPS with Polearms
    Marauder - Two-Handed Weapon Tank
    Pugilist - Melee DPS with Fist Weapons
    Thaumaturge - Ranged Magical DPS

Job (Base class in Bold):
    Bard (Ranged Physical DPS) - Archer (DPS) + Pugilist (DPS)
    Black Mage (Ranged Caster DPS) - Thaumaturge (DPS) + Arcanist (DPS)
    Dragoon (Melee Physical DPS) - Lancer (DPS) + Marauder (Tanking)
    Monk (Melee Physical DPS) - Pugilist (DPS) + Lancer (DPS)
    Paladin (Tanking) - Gladiator (Tanking) + Conjurer (Healing)
    Scholar (Healing) - Arcanist (DPS) + Conjurer (Healing)
    Summoner (DPS) - Arcanist (DPS) + Thaumaturge (DPS)
    Warrior (Tanking) - Marauder (Tanking) + Gladiator (Tanking)
    White Mage (Healing) - Conjurer (Healing) + Arcanist (DPS)

Also, how exactly does multiclassing work with multiple classes/jobs? Can you be a base class that DOESN'T turn into a specific Job (e.g., being a Conjuror Class and being a Gladiator Job)?
    Okay, Classes are separate from Jobs. Classes are like, your base. They're the core. The Job is built on the base of the Class. Like, Gladiator is a Sword & Shield Tanking class. Their Job is a Sword & Shield Tanking Job, but more refined than the Gladiator is - it comes with extra abilities that enhance their tanking abilities. In the case of Summoners (which is a DPS job built onto the Arcanist class), they get ehanced pets and extra abilities that make their DPS stronger and faster.

The basic reason for leveling multiple classes on the same character is that Classes share certain abilities with other Classes and Jobs. Note: Jobs do not share abilities with each other. But, to offer an example, as a White Mage (Base Class: Conjurer), I can pull certain abilities from Arcanist and Thaumaturge. I also never lose access to my base class's abilities. As a Paladin, for instance, you can pull Cure spells and Stoneskin from Conjurers, which may give you extra survivability.

At the very least, is all of this explained in-game?
    Yes.

Oh now it's $30 to start up? Why is everyone giving me different prices? >_>;
    Also, I doubt $30 would get me far enough since that only pays for a single month.
    It's $29 for the game. It gives you a full month of play. Each month after that is $13 for 1 character on up to 8 realms or $15 for up to 8 characters on I forget how many realms.

You would be surprised how far you can get in 1 month of play.

Could you maybe tell me what aspects of WoW are supposedly better than FFXIV? I've enjoyed FF since I discovered 10 (Yes yes, Tidus's laugh is horrible. Dead horse beaten ahead of time) and went back to play almost every game in the series, so I definitely do like FF.
    10 was my favorite FF.

I would say the raiding is more in-depth and the world is larger in WoW. The engine is also more responsive, for the most part. But there are a lot of things about FF that I wish WoW would incorporate, too!

Also one last thing I want to ask: Is there a Red Mage type job/class/w/e?
    Not currently, but Yoshi-P has stated in Live Letters that he wants to add it.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

Alright, well I already bought the game and its downloading. Any suggestions of a realm to play on? Looking for a not too small but not too large to the point where there's queue times if size is choose-able (like a med to med-high pop).

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Oh no... Voice acting...

Btw, any recommendations on servers to play on? (Would prefer a med-high pop; not too high, but not too small) Also offering recruiting me if there's any recruit benefits

Balmung
    Exodus

If you really wanna play RDM then Scholar is very similar with their dots.

Bio, Bio 2, Haste whore (ffxi parties), etc.*

Fey glow and light.
    You cared enough to post.

10+ Year Old Account
    Alright, well I already bought the game and its downloading. Any suggestions of a realm to play on? Looking for a not too small but not too large to the point where there's queue times if size is choose-able (like a med to med-high pop).
    Well, I play on Balmung, which is a fairly high population Legacy server. The only queues I've seen are like, less than a minute. It'll pop up telling you there are thousands of people in the queue, but then you just get in. I think the queues are for the data centers, not the realms themselves. Exalibur, Hyperion, and Ragnarok are currently listed as having their character creation closed (due to high pop).
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherRae View Post
    Well, I play on Balmung, which is a fairly high population Legacy server.
    Erm "Legacy" server?

10+ Year Old Account
    Players that played the original 1.0 are given Legacy status, we have a slightly different intro, have a special tattoo on our back, and a special mount.

Legacy server tends to be players from 1.0 (you can make characters there however, as 2 of my friends new to the game are also in Ragnarok with me now), but expect everything to be more expensive (as players from 1.0 had money brought forward) and people expectation is higher.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh no... Voice acting...

Adamantoise has a pretty decent Population not too small not too big..And several FC incuding mine have houses.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Totikki View Post
    Thuntamage (or whatever) becomes Black Mage (dps) while conjuror become a healer, white mage.
    They did use RDM as an example of a mupti job class..Specifically WHM AND BLM COULD be required f9r it.

- - - Updated - - -

Ooh, nice to hear I get a few bucks off every month FFXI did the same with a start up fee of like $11/month with +$1/month per character. Don't need any more than one, really
    Yeah people tend to leave THAT bit out...I consider it rather important myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Grym View Post
    Players that played the original 1.0 are given Legacy status, we have a slightly different intro, have a special tattoo on our back, and a special mount.

Legacy server tends to be players from 1.0 (you can make characters there however, as 2 of my friends new to the game are also in Ragnarok with me now), but expect everything to be more expensive (as players from 1.0 had money brought forward) and people expectation is higher.
    So... NOT smart for a new player? :< Expensive stuff kinda intimidates me a bit.

Erm "Legacy" server?
    Servers with players from before A Realm Reborn.

I'm on Gilgamesh myself. It was adopted as the unofficial RP server for non-Legacy players.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by icausewipes View Post
    Balmung
    Exodus

If you really wanna play RDM then Scholar is very similar with their dots.

Bio, Bio 2, Haste whore (ffxi parties), etc.*

Fey glow and light.
    Yeah Balmung might be higher pop then what he seeksm

- - - Updated - - -

So... NOT smart for a new player? :< Expensive stuff kinda intimidates me a bit.
    Legacy servers ARE marked as such...Buut Adamantoise isn't a legacy server LOL...If you come to Adamantoise track down someone in Zantetsuken(1HTKO will be by their name) provided you can handpe preeeety pervy guild chat we're a great guild...Tell them Milli sent ya should get ya in pretty fast since alot of the higher up kniw me well...

That or add Milliana Dragneel to your friends list and hit me up.

Nyeh... Never thought Server Selection would be what gives me a huge headache

I just don't want to be stuck on a low-pop where there aren't a lot of people (e.g., WoW's problem atm), but don't want it to be super crowded or have a high expectation from me right away

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    Legacy servers ARE marked as such...Buut Adamantoise isn't a legacy server LOL...If you come to Adamantoise track down someone in Zantetsuken(1HTKO will be by their name) provided you can handpe preeeety pervy guild chat we're a great guild...Tell them Milli sent ya should get ya in pretty fast since alot of the higher up kniw me well...

That or add Milliana Dragneel to your friends list and hit me up.
    Duuuude pervy guilds at the best

Gilgamesh here has a pretty high population, but I've never come across problems. Names don't usually make me want to stab my eyes out, prices aren't super inflated, and despite the population, FC housing seems to be moving steady rather than quickly gobbled up.

Duty Finder is cross-server and I haven't had jerks much. Exception more than a rule, so I get the impression you'll be fairly able to settle in wherever you decide to try.