Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    Gilgamesh here has a pretty high population, but I've never come across problems. Names don't usually make me want to stab my eyes out, prices aren't super inflated, and despite the population, FC housing seems to be moving steady rather than quickly gobbled up.

Duty Finder is cross-server and I haven't had jerks much. Exception more than a rule, so I get the impression you'll be fairly able to settle in wherever you decide to try.
    Well you mentioned it being the "unofficial RP server". Would I be forced into doing RP a ton on the server, and would I be chastised for having a name such as "Polarthief" or "Pewpewblast"? (Still haven't picked the name yet )
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Quote Originally Posted by icausewipes View Post
    It is a good distraction, but not worth committing to. You will love the combat system and hate the GCD system. You will love the crafting system, but realize its kinda worthless endgame. They use the trinity system like wow. They have made leveling waaaay easier a patch or two ago.

You will run into game raging lag like this.

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...xiv%20lag&sm=3
    http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...tan%20lag&sm=1

This is what sealed it for me at endgame.

Play til Wod or you punch a hole in your monitor. Also DO NOT BUY IT FOR PS3/PS4.
    Maybe you didn't play on servers from your region, because there is no lag at all and even at launch my ping was around 30ms and the only lag I felt at launch was when the servers crashed. Right now I haven't noticed lag at all and servers haven't crashed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Polarthief View Post
    So... NOT smart for a new player? :< Expensive stuff kinda intimidates me a bit.
    No, they're great for new players. I'm a player who only started with 2.0. Yes, things are more expensive, but there's more money in general because there's so much more money circulating in the economy.

- - - Updated - - -

Well you mentioned it being the "unofficial RP server". Would I be forced into doing RP a ton on the server, and would I be chastised for having a name such as "Polarthief" or "Pewpewblast"? (Still haven't picked the name yet )
    Balmung is the Unofficial Legacy RP server, and Gilgamesh is the Unofficial Non-Legacy RP server. From what I understand, RP is almost non-existent on Gilgamesh, but I have never played on the server.

You shouldn't be chastised - I found this dude on Balmung not long ago:

And he's not the only one with names like that. It's actually a running joke for my FC that we run around looking for weird names and posting them in FC chat.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

Well I guess I'll try Balmung for now

Gonna try to learn how to play 1-handed for the time being, as someone dumped their snake (actual pet! >.>) in my other hand. Too lazy to find another server atm, lol.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adamzz View Post
    Maybe you didn't play on servers from your region, because there is no lag at all and even at launch my ping was around 30ms and the only lag I felt at launch was when the servers crashed. Right now I haven't noticed lag at all and servers haven't crashed.
    I play on Balmung and Exodus* and my connection offers 75 up and 35 down Fios. The lag on bosses are well known, but I won't turn this into one of those threads.

xferred from valefor to exodus.
    You cared enough to post.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by icausewipes View Post
    I play on Balmung and Exodus* and my connection offers 75 up and 35 down Fios. The lag on bosses are well known, but I won't turn this into one of those threads.

xferred from valefor to exodus.
    The only thing I have problems with, insofar as lag goes, is the line attack on the ADS trash boss before Turn 1. Otherwise, every death I've ever had to "didn't get out of the fire fast enough" was my own fault.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

10+ Year Old Account
    Nyeh... Never thought Server Selection would be what gives me a huge headache

I just don't want to be stuck on a low-pop where there aren't a lot of people (e.g., WoW's problem atm), but don't want it to be super crowded or have a high expectation from me right away

- - - Updated - - -

Duuuude pervy guilds at the best
    LOL then look us up if you join our server. We're helpful too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yessssss, stay on Balmung We ROCK. As to the RP bit (if it hasn't been mentioned, I'm lazy and skimmed thread) pretty much the only time you see RPers is in Inns. The majority of the server doesn't RP, but we do have Rebecca Black, Justin Beiber, Katy Perry and others, dunno if they roleplay them though. Server lag isn't as bad as it was at launch. Anyone that dies from standing in things either sucks or has a bad connection. As to economy, the ridiculous price of housing has taken a lot of gil out of the economy. I've never had more than 200k, but have been able to afford everything I need. The server is very populated, but I haven't seen a queue since before 2.1 (except that weird buggy thing where it shows like 50k people in the queue which you just cancel and re-enter). If you need help with anything find me in game

... Okay so this is pretty fun so far :3 I'm a (Base) Thaumaturge level 11, but I went AFK a ton and messed around a bit. Also got Glad and Pug to 5.

Definitely a bit more fun than I anticipated; hopefully it keeps up

I can see why a lot of people can give it negativity for it being "slow" or "relaxed" though. Clearly, those people haven't played FFXI on a PS2 with Dial-Up, as I had to for a good 2-3 years through Middle School. Compared to WoW, yeah, it's really slow (basic Fire/Blizzard spells taking 2.5s to cast each; GCD is roughly 2.5s), but that's not necessarily a bad thing; it works for FFXI/V, but wouldn't for WoW.

My only complaints is that there are random lag spikes, though fairly seldom (and it's still a fairly new game, so that's to be expected), and how BS it is that not every class can be obtained in one city, so I'm just completely locked out of getting the other Magic classes until ~15 (when I can apparently go on an airship?), but I guess that's the way the cookie crumbles sometimes. Oh well, still definitely worth $30, and I'll look into continuing if my classes at the end of the month don't eat up my time.

PS: I'm on Balmung if anyone wants to take a noob (at FFXIV) under their wing. Name is Polar Frozenclaws.

10+ Year Old Account
    FFXIV doesn't want you to have all classes available in the same starting city for the same reason people complain about one of the crappy things in WoW. Square-Enix wants you to get out of the starting city and explore Eorzea. Explore Ul'dah and then move over to Gridania, and then Limsa-Lominsa - See how each nation's people are different and when you start a new class start your quests in the new areas city and learn about how their regions were affected by The Calamity. Most importantly however watch how the people of Eorzea interact with your character as the story quests progress.

10+ Year Old Account
    All I can say is I saw this game selling on Amazon for 16 bucks on friday night so I bought it thinking I might as well since all I do these days in wow is post and cancel auctions...

I really am impressed at the amount of detail and polish in this game both in systems and design. Now I haven't played a FF game since FF IV on the SNES so it took me awhile to understand all the terminology, but just from playing 2 days over the weekend I got my gladiator up to 19 and have been tanking some dungeons and having fun.

This is a game I could definitely play for some time to come especially if the development team shows me that they are active with updates.

I'm on Gilgamesh. The name is Grey Fall. Hope to see you in game!

I'd say classes are starting to get a little too similar with each other. With the recent warrior changes to give them CDs like paladin there seems to be only minor differences between the 2. The same goes for the healers (one gives a HoT and the other gives a Shield) with SCH suffering from technical issues like shield stacking but their main spells are the same just different after effects.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    I'd say classes are starting to get a little too similar with each other. With the recent warrior changes to give them CDs like paladin there seems to be only minor differences between the 2. The same goes for the healers (one gives a HoT and the other gives a Shield) with SCH suffering from technical issues like shield stacking but their main spells are the same just different after effects.
    I main a WAR and while I definitely preferred 2.1 I'd say we're still fairly distinct...

Other then that though yeah a mild amount of homogenization occured buuut nowhere near what WoW has done.

As for updates yep in march we get another massive one and in February we get a smaller one.

We should get big patches every 3 months and a .5 style update between them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    As for updates yep in march we get another massive one and in February we get a smaller one.

We should get big patches every 3 months and a .5 style update between them.
    I'm excited to hear this! Basically, mmo's are very time consuming and thats great, Devs consistently updating the game even in minor ways just shows their dedication to it and it makes me feel better about dedicating my time to it as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cipero View Post
    I'm excited to hear this! Basically, mmo's are very time consuming and thats great, Devs consistently updating the game even in minor ways just shows their dedication to it and it makes me feel better about dedicating my time to it as well.
    Look up the live letters..The devs even answer fan questions and tell us what's coming.

next patch has new 4 man dungeons a new primal fight(single boss) the vanity system and more.

Deleted
    No. Everyone that I played with quit I think. The game had no real content, there was no challenge in any of it. Solo healing titan hard modes was boring. I wish I'd never spent my money on it.

10+ Year Old Account
    downloaded it for the ps3 last night and will get myself into it tonight. im both curious and scared, horror stories about lag and me wanting to play a tank with a controller might not work out as i want.

If you like WoW then you'll enjoy FFXIV at at least enough to totally get your $30's worth (or whatever) out of it for a month or so.

I can highly recommend giving it a try.

Like almost all MMOs, there's a lot of fun to be had leveling and exploring the world, even if you decide later that the endgame is not to your liking or it's not a game you want to "live in" for years.

If nothing else you can treat it like a regular single-player game experience and play until you get tired of it and, again, I think you'll be happy you did.

PF.
    Last edited by PixelFox; 2014-02-04 at 03:15 PM.

Definitely worth a shot.

However, if you are the type of player that likes to rush to the end and wants super hardcore raids that never end, then this game probably isn't for you. The story is well thought, the world is very immersive, and the community is pretty lax. For myself, I find the end game content suits me. There is enough to keep me interested, but because its a new game I understand there may not be a whole lot for everyone.

If I was to give any advice, don't rush. Take your time, enjoy the game, and have fun.

Deleted
    I think the game is worth a shot, more so if you are a fan of the Final Fantasy saga since the game has enough allusion at the earlier FF (like the incoming battle on a big bridge).
    The slow paced combat can be a problem at first, but it's not so bad when you get the hang of it.