Page 1 of 2
LastLast

What is the "theme" of shadow spells?

Destruction Warlock spells are themed after fire, explosions etc.

Elemental Shaman spells are themed after the 4 elements of WoW.

Frost/Fire/Arcane mages is a dead giveaway.

What exactly and where exactly are the priest spells based off of and where do they get their power from? More of a lore question I suppose, but its strange that we have a wide variety of spells that don't have much in common with eachother from a lore point of view.

We have "Vampiric" spells, so we sap the energy from people?
    We have "Mind" spells, so we assault the target's thoughts and feelings?
    We have a "Devouring Plague" spell... Wait, that sounds like a Death Knight ability.
    We have "Void" spells, so we have knowledge of Old God magic?
    Then we have our 2 Shadow Word spells which just implies shadow magic is a form just like Arcane.

What exactly does a "shadow priest" do?
    Last edited by Al Gorefiend; 2014-02-02 at 10:49 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's "the Void", the same "anti-Light" that happens when Naaru die, for example. It has a strong connection to "unnatural" / otherworldly things; Old God stuff is always shadowy, Priests can summon Void Tendrils, etc.

Basically you take everything the Light represents, then invert it, and you get the Shadow. Calm for fear, comfort for pain, healing for suffering, etc.

The Mind spells originated with the idea that Priests were spiritual leaders, so they were capable of both comforting and inspiring their followers, or manipulating, subjugating, and controlling them. Sort of a religious commentary.

As the Light/Shadow duality became more strongly established and the whole Void / Old God / etc. stuff became more strongly associated with Shadow, the kit began to expand to be more about 'tapping the void', etc.

So you have stuff void/otherworldly creatures like Old Gods & minions do (Shadow attacks, mental manipulation, cause insanity, infest things with unnatural afflictions, etc.), and that's what Priests who seek the 'other side' of the Light begin to dabble in (ie, all Light casts Shadows).
    Last edited by Lovestar; 2014-02-02 at 07:47 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wanted to fully explore the hows and whys of shadow priest abilities at one point through RP, but never got around to it. I attempted to start a sort of journal, but it just wound up sounding entirely too cheesy.

Mostly it's all about opposites though. Consider that vampires and holy water don't mix. Also priests are known for healing disease, yet a spriest casts a plague. The mind stuff doesn't fit as nicely, but messing with someone's psyche is generally considered pretty dark.

As for the rest, I've always considered shadow magic to just be a branch of light magic. You need a light source to cast a shadow, after all. "The closer you get to the light, the larger your shadow becomes."

Devouring plague is a "legacy" of undead priests. I think it's more of an undead spell than a priest spell, but we have it for mechanic purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Humbugged View Post
    What exactly and where exactly are the priest spells based off of and where do they get their power from?
    /summon Yvaelle

Quote Originally Posted by Forsay View Post
    Devouring plague is a "legacy" of undead priests. I think it's more of an undead spell than a priest spell, but we have it for mechanic purpose.
    So its likely more of just a tooltip and name, not so much a lore friendly spell?

Quote Originally Posted by Dierdre View Post
    /summon Yvaelle
    ^ he has some massive long post somewhere that he made... http://howtopriest.com/viewtopic.php...Yvaelle#p20407 is the H2P link, it's originally from here though.

Stream: twitch.tv/DryeLuLZ
    Twitter: @Dryeqt

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Humbugged View Post
    So its likely more of just a tooltip and name, not so much a lore friendly spell?
    Yes and no. It was originally based on the Undead spell, but they deliberately chose to include it as part of the general Priest toolkit rather than scrapping it like all other racials. They could easily have changed the name then 'Devouring Shadow' or whatever.

Blizz is not shy about changing names or graphics, etc. to fit properly. If they disapproved of DP from a lore standpoint, they wouldn't have created Goldshire they wouldn't have left it like that.

If anything, leaving a "Plague" on Shadow Priest is probably a clue to the lore they envision behind it. Also, remember: 'nice' Priests cure diseases, 'mean' ones cause them. Historically, oracles/priests/etc. foretold omens, doom, and plagues were major killers / sources of terror and horror among human population.

Shadow has a very Lovecraftian vibe to it, with the Void Tendrils, Psyfiend, Shadowfiend, the mind flaying and insanity themes etc. Similar to the old god / qiraj architecture, which are also heavily inspired by Lovecraft's Call of Cthulhu among others.

Many of the old god minions like the faceless ones use primarely shadow spells like Mind Blast, Mind Control, Mana Burn (removed priest spell) and Mind Flay, which suggests that Spriests tap into the same power as they do. Maybe even given by the old gods themselves.

Edit: Ok, Yvaelle wrote a pretty darn good and detailed analysis on the origins of Shadow Priests in the post linked above. Maybe if we call him from the beyond he can "shed more light" on this topic then we can.

Quote Originally Posted by Dierdre View Post
    /summon Yvaelle
    *pulls black velvet sheets off the black altar, plunges sacrificial dagger into heart and uses his last breath to smear the words "ELLEAVY ELLEAVY ELL" on the wall.*
    Last edited by Calamari; 2014-02-03 at 12:51 AM.

Another thing not represented well ingame is that Shadow magic/Void magic is the magic of necromancy. So, there's always the possibility SPriests may get some undead minions.

It's part of the reason I dislike the whole, "DKs are Warlocks with plate" argument. They're actually Shadow Priests with plate, but whatever.

As for the obvious thematic overlap with Affliction warlocks, you don't need a complicated explanation. They derive their power from different sources. In Warcraft, magic comes from two sources, and they're called "Arcane" and "Divine." Arcane magic (mages, warlocks) derives from the innate magic of the world, from the ley lines. Divine magic (Druids, Paladins) is derived from some sort of being or higher power. Priests use Divine Magic, though it is unclear what the exact source of Shadow/Void magic is (by semantics, it's simply the absence of the Light, but that makes no sense to derive power from the absence of a being) it is still Divine magic.

So, there you go. I really hope Blizzard fleshes out Shadow Priests more, but I doubt they will any time within the next two expansions.
    Last edited by Larynx; 2014-02-03 at 03:08 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Calamari View Post
    *pulls black velvet sheets off the black altar, plunges sacrificial dagger into heart and uses his last breath to smear the words "ELLEAVY ELLEAVY ELL" on the wall.*
    "Have you had the dream again? A black goat with seven eyes that watches from the outside."

No need for the summoning circle, I am always here

I wanted to respond earlier but I'm hopped up on cold syrup and loopy (high fever). I will write up a better post tomorrow
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

old gods and insanity.

its kind of obvious when u just read the abilities

Based off of shadow, mainly.

15+ Year Old Account
    "It is said that in the beginning there was Light and there was Void and a time long ago, the two collided in the abyss of the Great Dark.

Infinite worlds spiralled out into the newly forming cosmos... "

- Chris Metzen, WoW the Magazine, 5th Edition

On Reality

Before reality, before matter, before magic, before the cosmological constants - there existed only the Light, and the Void. Some scholars incorrectly interpret the Void to be the mere absence of light - but in the beginning, there was no space or time - no dimensions - and yet both existed simultaneously.

Such is the nature of reality, my Priest brothers and sisters! The Light and the Shadow are not enemies, but star-crossed lovers - their limbs inextricably entangled for eternity.

"Lux et Umbra" - "Light and Shadow" - for one cannot exist without the other. This is the fundamental truth that all priests recognize, it is this distinction that perverts the will of Paladins - who foolishly believe they can exterminate the very Void: they would seek to create a universe of only Light. Be sure that they are mistaken, for in a universe of boundless light - there is no contrast - and all reality would be obscured in Light. Just as, inexorably, when the last Star burns out - the Shadows will be left alone - and without contrast, reality will fade.

Like Romeo and Juliet, without the one - the other will die of loss and despair.

All reality - all things - are defined through the contrast, the competition, the conjugal pairing, that carnal lust - the relation between Light and Darkness, between Good and Evil, between Joy and Despair, between Apathy and Energy. Alone, these terms are meaningless - for each is an interpretation of that immortal romance between the darkness and the light in us all.

What Do Shadowpriests Do?

We do not require greatswords, jagged daggers, the submission of beasts, fire or ice - to defeat our enemies. A priest's great weapon is merely that fundamental knowledge on the nature of reality. Initiate Priests must meditate on the meaning of this truth to find the many interpretations - the many truths - which are embedded within that simple knowledge that Light and Shadow exist together: as one.

I can speak words which will describe this understanding, but only a priest will truly see how such a simple tenet can become so powerful. For example, all Priests know that Suffering is an immutable element of the universe - it can be transferred, postponed, concentrated or dissipated - but it cannot be destroyed. For to destroy suffering, one must also destroy pleasure - and to destroy both would tear the very fabric of The Real. Therefore, suffering is not to be feared but to be accepted - and perhaps embraced - for through our suffering we provide pleasure: Priests remember this during our darkest hours, imbuing us with superhuman strength of will. This manifests for example, in the ability to Shift the Void - to transfer the suffering of our allies into ourselves: to take their pain as our own - or to steal their comfort for ourselves. It is the tenet of Masochism, through which our mana is regained.

It is through the same simple tenet of reality - 'Lux et Umbra' - that my understanding of words differs greatly from your own. For any Hunter or Rogue, even scholarly Mage or mad-for-power Warlock may speak the Word 'Shield', or 'Fortitude' - but to no greater effect than the verbal transfer of information. Yet, when a Priest speaks the word, 'Shield' - they protect their ally with the will of the Light. If I speak the word 'Fortitude' you feel empowered - for in the speaking, I offer you a brief glimpse of the divine: the truth behind all reality.

It is through this same understanding that allows me to say the word 'Pain' and inflict that sensation upon you - not with poison or blade, not with pestilence or loss - but merely a thought, imbued with a higher understanding. You might know the term 'Pain' - but only a Priest truly understands the meaning. Pray that I do not show you the truth behind 'Death' - it a suggestion you might take to heart.

Why are there so many apparent themes amongst Shadowpriests?

All words are imbued with some small degree of understanding of their greater meaning - but between Priests there is but one unspeakable word in our lexicon: for it describes all things. It is not a word which we would ever need to speak, for all priests learn it - and its understanding conveys every truth within reality. Priests need not speak to other priests to understand everything about them, it is a bond we all share - through our shared understanding of the Light and the Shadow.

Yet, if we wish to convey our intent to non-Priests - we must speak with words they can fathom. We must sing with melody they can hear. Thus, what you know as 'Vampiric Embrace' - does not involve hugging vampires - it is simply a crude interpretation for the act of transferring the suffering and pain of our enemies (a metaphorical vampirism) into the direct pleasure and contentment of our nearest allies (a metaphorical embrace). It is a directed transferral of pleasure and pain, rather than the diffuse transferral caused when any other suffering in the universe is inflicted.

If a horde rogue assassinates a citizen of Southshore Village, they create pain not only within the dying villager, but also the within the lives of that villagers lovers, siblings, children and friends. Yet - the rogue also takes pleasure in the act of victory, and spares future generations of the pain that villager and their descendants would have caused. 'Vampiric Embrace' merely directs all future pleasure gained from suffering created into the immediate seconds following the act, into the immediate area and allies of the priest.

Lastly, it should become clear now how it is that Priests take and seek control over the Mind. To Blast your Mind, I need merely to introduce you to the confusion of that fundamental tenet of reality - and watch as you panic - baffled by the instantaneous flood of the unknowable universe. To flay your mind I need merely let you dwell on some aspect of the dark or light, which you are unprepared to comprehend and accept. I show you truths which you fear, I show you visions of your own inadequacies made real before your eyes.

I show you suffering, or perhaps most terrifying of all - I show you joy, pleasure, or serenity: all of which are naked, bound, and tied - to the eternal cycle of both domination and submission with the Void, the Darkness, the Shadows. To live is to inflict death, to find serenity is to inflict doubt, to find joy is to doom others to despair: to be born, is to be a monster by any other name. A Priest makes peace with this truth, and resolves to interpret it.

Therefore, we priests often seek to be penitent - to be stoic - to be moderate - to strike balance between the Light and the Shadows. But also - when necessary - to offset balance as we see fit. Balance between the two provides us a fluidity of action when we foresee the path - yet, like the hips of dancing lovers, the light and shadow will never be still: balance itself is not the goal, it is merely a convenience. We are all instruments of the divine: which is both one and many. At times the Light and Shadow are a singular entity, at times they are paired lovers, at times they are every individual upon a warring battlefield, at times they are every star - and every void between them - in the universe.

Meditate upon these teachings, initiate Priest - and if they should begin to take meaning beyond the simple words I use to convey them - then you have begun the path of the Priest

Some of my Other Popular Lore Posts

The Sha-Touched Weapon Post everyone liked

An entertaining / illuminating conversation between a Priest and Warlock perspective

It's too bad I can't find any old posts off Shadowpriest.com

I wrote a big lore post there back in TBC, and a Shadowpriest poem that was quite popular
    Last edited by Yvaelle; 2015-03-26 at 10:18 AM.

I don't play a Warlock, at least not anymore. All I did was defend some lore elements for the Warlock class that has ended up being ruined in favor of the the development of the Shadowpriest identity. Therefore, you can at least edit your post related to what my class is.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yvaelle View Post

I wrote a big lore post there back in TBC, and a Shadowpriest poem that was quite popular
    All in all, great read, thanks for bringing this to my attention. I wish now that I had decided to archive Shadowpriest.com just for reasons like this. You may be able to find some of your old stuff by using this: http://archive.org/web/ -- Looks like there's quite a few archives to browse through if you know the general timeline.

WarcraftPriests.com - The Shadowlands Priest Community Website

Join over 100,000 Priests on our partnered Discord server: Warcraft Priests

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by deviantcultist View Post
    I don't play a Warlock, at least not anymore. All I did was defend some lore elements for the Warlock class that has ended up being ruined in favor of the the development of the Shadowpriest identity. Therefore, you can at least edit your post related to what my class is.
    Is it fair to say you were taking a Warlock perspective? I was attempting to encourage people to read our conversation, and not just the initial post in the link

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Veiled View Post
    All in all, great read, thanks for bringing this to my attention. I wish now that I had decided to archive Shadowpriest.com just for reasons like this. You may be able to find some of your old stuff by using this: http://archive.org/web/ -- Looks like there's quite a few archives to browse through if you know the general timeline.
    Thanks Veiled! I'll see if I can dig up anything off the archives!

Is it fair to say you were taking a Warlock perspective?
    Obviously,given that Warlocks were/are the ones being at a disadvantage. As of now, there is nothing to be said to defend Warlocks, given that they gave that much of a focus in Fel magic instead of Shadow magic.

Quote Originally Posted by deviantcultist View Post
    Obviously,given that Warlocks were/are the ones being at a disadvantage. As of now, there is nothing to be said to defend Warlocks, given that they gave that much of a focus in Fel magic instead of Shadow magic.
    Shake it like a salt shaker, shake it like a salt shaker!!!

On a side note, you can have your useless lore, just give me all the incredibly op dmg and synergy that your class has and you can complain about all the redundant lore you want.

Also yvaelle, great and interesting read as always +1

Stream: twitch.tv/DryeLuLZ
    Twitter: @Dryeqt

"It is said that in the beginning there was Light and there was Void and a time long ago, the two collided in the abyss of the Great Dark.

Infinite worlds spiralled out into the newly forming cosmos... "

- Chris Metzen, WoW the Magazine, 5th Edition

On Reality

Before reality, before matter, before magic, before the cosmological constants - there existed only the Light, and the Void. Some scholars incorrectly interpret the Void to be the mere absence of light - but in the beginning, there was no space or time - no dimensions - and yet both existed simultaneously.

Such is the nature of reality, my Priest brothers and sisters! The Light and the Shadow are not enemies, but star-crossed lovers - their limbs inextricably entangled for eternity.

"Lux et Umbra" - "Light and Shadow" - for one cannot exist without the other. This is the fundamental truth that all priests recognize, it is this distinction that perverts the will of Paladins - who foolishly believe they can exterminate the very Void: they would seek to create a universe of only Light. Be sure that they are mistaken, for in a universe of boundless light - there is no contrast - and all reality would be obscured in Light. Just as, inexxorably, when the last Star burns out - the Shadows will be left alone - and without contrast, reality will fade.

Like Romeo and Juliet, without the one - the other will die of loss and despair.

All reality - all things - are defined through the contrast, the competition, the conjugal pairing, and the carnal lust - the relation between Light and Darkness, between Good and Evil, between Joy and Despair, between Apathy and Energy. Alone, these terms are meaningless - for each is an interpretation of that immortal romance between the darkness and the light in us all.

What Do Shadowpriests Do?

We do not require greatswords, jagged daggers, the submission of beasts, fire or ice - to defeat our enemies. A priest's great weapon is merely that fundamental knowledge on the nature of reality. Initiate Priests must meditate on the meaning of this truth to find the many interpretations - the many truths - which are embedded within that simple knowledge that Light and Shadow exist together: as one.

I can speak words which will describe this understanding, but only a priest will truly see how such a simple tenet can become so powerful. For example, all Priests know that Suffering is an immutable element of the universe - it can be transferred, postponed, concentrated or dissipated - but it cannot be destroyed. For to destroy suffering, one must also destroy pleasure - and to destroy both would tear the very fabric of The Real. Therefore, suffering is not to be feared but to be accepted - and perhaps embraced - for through our suffering we provide pleasure. This manifests for example, in the ability to Shift the Void - to transfer the suffering of our allies into ourselves: to take their pain as our own - or to steal their comfort for ourselves. It is the tenet of Masochism, through which our mana is regained.

It is through the same simple tenet of reality - 'Lux et Umbra' - that my understanding of words differs greatly from your own. For any Hunter or Rogue, even scholarly Mage or mad-for-power Warlock may speak the Word 'Shield', or 'Fortitude' - but to no greater effect than the verbal transfer of information. Yet, when a Priest speaks the word, 'Shield' - they protect their ally with the will of the Light. If I speak the word 'Fortitude' you feel empowered - for in the speaking, I offer you a brief glimpse of the divine: the truth behind all reality.

It is through this same understanding that allows me to say the word 'Pain' and inflict that sensation upon you - not with poison or blade, not with pestilence or loss - but merely a thought, imbued with a higher understanding. You might know the term 'Pain' - but only a Priest truly understands the meaning. Pray that I do not show you the truth behind 'Death' - it a suggestion you might take to heart.

Why are there so many apparent themes amongst Shadowpriests?

All words are imbued with some degree of understanding of their meaning - but between Priests there is but one unspeakable word in our lexicon: for it describes all things. It is not a word which we would ever need to speak, for all priests know it - and its understanding conveys every truth within reality. Priests need not speak to other priests to understand everything about them, it is a bond we all share - through our shared understanding of the Light and the Shadow.

Yet, if we wish to convey our intent to non-Priests - we must speak with words they can fathom. We must sing with words they can hear. Thus, what you know as 'Vampiric Embrace' - does not involve hugging vampires - it is simply a crude interpretation for the act of transferring the suffering and pain of our enemies (a metaphorical vampirism) into the direct pleasure and contentment of our nearest allies (a metaphorical embrace). It is a directed transferral of pleasure and pain, rather than the diffuse transferral caused when any other suffering in the universe is inflicted.

If a horde rogue assassinates a citizen of Southshore Village, they create pain not only within the dying villager, but also the within the lives of that villagers lovers, siblings, children and friends. Yet - the rogue also takes pleasure in the act of victory, and spares future generations of the pain that villager and their descendants would have caused. 'Vampiric Embrace' merely directs all future pleasure gained from suffering created into the immediate seconds following the act, into the immediate area and allies of the priest.

Lastly, it should become clear now how it is that Priests take and seek control over the Mind. To Blast your Mind, I need merely to introduce you to the confusion of that fundamental tenet of reality - and watch as you panic - baffled by the instantaneous flood of the unknowable universe. To flay your mind I need merely let you dwell on some aspect of the dark or light, which you are unprepared to comprehend and accept. I show you truths which you fear, I show you visions of your own inadequacies made real before your eyes.

I show you suffering, or perhaps most terrifying of all - I show you joy, pleasure, or serenity: all of which are naked, bound, and tied - to the eternal cycle of both domination and submission with the Void, the Darkness, the Shadows. To live is to inflict death, to find serenity is to inflict doubt, to find joy is to doom others to despair: to be born, is to be a monster by any other name. A Priest makes peace with this truth, and resolves to interpret it.

Therefore, we priests often seek to be penitent - to be stoic - to be moderate - to strike balance between the Light and the Shadows. But also - when necessary - to offset balance as we see fit. Balance between the two provides us a fluidity of action when we foresee the path - yet, like the hips of dancing lovers, the light and shadow will never be still: balance itself is not the goal, it is merely a convenience. We are all instruments of the divine: which is both one and many. At times the Light and Shadow are a singular entity, at times they are paired lovers, at times they are every individual upon a warring battlefield, at times they are every star - and every void between them - in the universe.

Meditate upon these teachings, initiate Priest - and if they should begin to take meaning beyond the simple words I use to convey them - then you have begun the path of the Priest

Some of my Other Popular Lore Posts

The Sha-Touched Weapon Post everyone liked

An entertaining / illuminating conversation between a Priest and Warlock perspective

Brb, rolling a Priest.