View Poll Results: Which spec would you play if all three were balanced?

Voters
545. This poll is closed
  • Affliction

185 33.94%
  • Demonology

231 42.39%
  • Destruction

129 23.67%
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Demonology for me.

In terms of the specs as is, if your not pushing server firsts or heroic progression ,you can pretty much play any spec you want. The issue I see however is why would you bother playing Affliction or Demo, which are more complex rotations and styles, over Destro which is easy and forgiving, yet provides better DPS.

I don't personally like Destro because I find it a carbon copy of a Mage, I'd prefer to be playing Affliction or ideally, Demonology.

Quote Originally Posted by Tramzh View Post
    Would you feel better if all warlock specs were trash?
    That would feel like cataclysm again lol. While not trash per se you certainly worked 2x as hard for half as much compared to the big dogs of the era. The logic of "if x is good shut up about y" is utterly flawed. Blizz can turn out a better product they just choose to be apathetic about it which is where the community criticism comes in. Its not like it would be that hard to polish demo for the 6-9 months we still have left on MoP. I know they are hip deep on WoD projects but we are talking minor fixes that would not take much time/effort at all. Clearly demo has a large passionate following in the community...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tramzh View Post
    Would you feel better if all warlock specs were trash?
    In terms of throughput, equally trash, yes. Honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by Werst View Post
    That would feel like cataclysm again lol. While not trash per se you certainly worked 2x as hard for half as much compared to the big dogs of the era. The logic of "if x is good shut up about y" is utterly flawed. Blizz can turn out a better product they just choose to be apathetic about it which is where the community criticism comes in. Its not like it would be that hard to polish demo for the 6-9 months we still have left on MoP. I know they are hip deep on WoD projects but we are talking minor fixes that would not take much time/effort at all. Clearly demo has a large passionate following in the community...
    Cataclysm Affliction was widely regarded as one of the smoothest, best working mechanically specs in the game. Demonology and Destro were the clusterfuck you describe. None were actually that bad numerically, and by Dragon Soul were all actually pretty close.

Deleted
    Wish they would allow us to chose between MG and Shadow bolt in talents somewhere. Old style Affliction ftw, although i do like new Soul Swap, only wish it was more than 3 seconds.

Deleted
    If I knew how to play it i'd go Affli.

I'll give you three guesses . . . and the first two don't count!

EDIT: Why? Because OMG KILL IT WITH FIRE AND BURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRN!

And I'm not a fan of dot based damage. I want to make stuff hurt, not watch a timer.
    Last edited by jason1975; 2014-02-14 at 10:43 PM.
    "I don't always play my warlock, but when I do, I prefer destruction."
    - The Most Interesting Player in the World . . . of Warcraft

Quote Originally Posted by jason1975 View Post

And I'm not a fan of dot based damage. I want to make stuff hurt, not watch a timer.
    So you rolled a warlock? lol

Quote Originally Posted by threadz View Post
    To be fair:

1) There's a lot that the class has to offer that doesn't pertain to DoTs
    2) Other than Cataclysm, we've had specs that weren't overly reliant on them.

15+ Year Old Account
    Affliction, if it worked more like BC/WOTLK

Deleted
    Affliction, though I think MOP affliction is absolute crap-tier garbage compared to WOTLK or even Cata affliction. Really worried about what they're going to do to it in WOD since they seem to want to be simplifying it even more, which is where the trouble began imo.

Destro has kinda grown on me a fair bit, but feels like it's 1-2 buttons and / or mechanics short of a rotation after ROF was removed (not that it should have stayed, but the rotation feels empty without it).

Demo I'm not that big of a fan of since the introduction of meta, seems to detract from the pet aspect too much for my tastes and the rotation doesn't feel great to me.

so yeah, affliction, even if it is a shadow of it's former self - though I'm ready to eat my words when WOD butchers it further.

Demo because the burst and survival.

Also, demo it's the most "warlocky" spec for me.

Quote Originally Posted by JV Chequer View Post
    Demo because the burst and survival.

Also, demo it's the most "warlocky" spec for me.
    Demo has the weakest self heals to be fair. I don't think it's as tanky (sans glyph) as it used to be. Much easier to solo with Hl/Glyph of DL Affliction or Destro imo.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd have to say Affliction, but playing destro this expansion, it's been growing on me.

Quote Originally Posted by jason1975 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by threadz View Post
    Yeah, I rolled an undead destro warlock after seeing the WoW trailer: http://youtu.be/dYK_Gqyf48Y?t=1m53s

Infernals, fire raining from the sky, that sort of thing.
    Last edited by jason1975; 2014-02-18 at 07:56 PM.
    "I don't always play my warlock, but when I do, I prefer destruction."
    - The Most Interesting Player in the World . . . of Warcraft

I'm sure people are in for a rude awakening in WoD when snapshot will be gone. affliction will be the most boring spec in the game without it. you will have to put 3 bars on your screen and just renew shit and spam malefic grasp.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zharradan View Post
    I'm sure people are in for a rude awakening in WoD when snapshot will be gone. affliction will be the most boring spec in the game without it. you will have to put 3 bars on your screen and just renew shit and spam malefic grasp.
    Indeed.

I quite like the idea Werst mentioned a few days ago about Haunt going back onto a cooldown and not costing soul shards, and finding a new outlet for our secondary resource.

Perhaps give it the Conflag/HoG treatment with 2 charges and a 15+ sec cooldown or something. Allows for back to back casts during burst but not 100% uptime? Or just 8 second cooldown and make sure you cast on CD, ala Mind Blast?

Aff would need a shard spender if haunt became rotational/2x charges....still not sure about that. I think a SB:Haunt = instant haunt with say half again or double the bonus would be a good use for shards IF they were a bit more rare (like 1x per 20-30 sec or 30 sec fixed with a stacking tick/proc counter?). If we are talking shard generation keeping a nearly full or most of the time uptime then just keep haunt as is since its semi rotational now. Still dont' like DS as a channel/copy of MG....soulreaper short duration very high dmg dot (instant) would give aff a chance to kill people in pvp themselves and feel a bit more lively in pve once snapshotting is gone. Prefer aff with a channeled filler...with or without snapshotting.

Demo still feels the most interesting in terms of a good blend of dots, nukes pets, etc...if they polished it up a bit I could definitely still vote for it as a favorite spec. Long as its a more MoP demo not the Rube Goldberg cata version. Maybe nix corruption, extend shadowflame duration/DF, and let us have imp swarm on a fixed CD (2-3 mins depending on how many imps and how strong they are). Maybe haste scale ToC by having a chance = haste rating % to drop a chaoswave (similar to the T16 set bonus)? That is a spec with lots of interaction and separate but viable playstyles.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Easily Affliction

Destro, i just wish it wasent just all fire damage, would love to see more shadow spells.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Liquidsteel View Post
    Indeed.

I quite like the idea Werst mentioned a few days ago about Haunt going back onto a cooldown and not costing soul shards, and finding a new outlet for our secondary resource.

Perhaps give it the Conflag/HoG treatment with 2 charges and a 15+ sec cooldown or something. Allows for back to back casts during burst but not 100% uptime? Or just 8 second cooldown and make sure you cast on CD, ala Mind Blast?
    I think Haunt is fine, I'd rather see a proc like old Nightfall or the Priest FDCL talent though to mix things up and offer up some mobility/burst.