Question What to gem as Resto currently??

Hi guys! I have been seeing so many people claiming so many different stats to be the better that I do not know what to think... So I thought I could ask you: what is the best stat to use, currently, as a Resto Shaman? I saw some people gemming/reforging for a lot of Spirit/Crit, some other going for a lot of Mastery, as well as some other gemming almost only in Haste. What is good, what is bad, and why? Is there a difference between normal and heroic? Thanks for your help

Deleted
    Absolutely no mastery and you should reforge everything out of it. Go for 9100 haste if you raid with the 5% haste buff (also take ancestral swiftness). This gives you an extra tick of healing stream. After that gem crit in yellows, int/crit in reds and crit/spirit in blues, as long as the socket bonus isn't mastery or spirit.

I ran with about 12k spirit and a regen trinket when I was using the 9100 breakpoint. Just to clarify, the breakpoint is actually 8882, but you need to take your latency into account so you get the extra tick, 9100 is a safe bet to get the extra tick always.

Right now I'm trying out the 15.3k haste breakpoint but I haven't decided whether its worth it or not.
    Last edited by mmoce9bdc04806; 2014-02-04 at 03:36 PM.

Takkio, you see different builds as stats' weights are situation / raid comp / gear / personal preference dependent.
    Here's a link with some nice reading on it

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/11395649512

There's a thread about what stats people us as resto (http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ats-do-you-use) that might give you an idea of what you might want to try.

Resto has a lot more flexibility in stat choice due to your raids comp and your play style.

Thanks for your answers! 9100 haste looks like a lot!? ...Should I use big Intellect gems in my red slots, or should I only use some Int/Crit and Int/Haste to fill the red sockets? Intellect alone does not seem to be of much use right now!?

Deleted
    I did find geming / reforging heavily for spirit while starting out gearing up was the best option. As gear improves you can change all that.
    Going for haste (break point if u want ) / spirit / int mix is best option id say.

Quote Originally Posted by Takkio View Post
    Thanks for your answers! 9100 haste looks like a lot!? ...Should I use big Intellect gems in my red slots, or should I only use some Int/Crit and Int/Haste to fill the red sockets? Intellect alone does not seem to be of much use right now!?
    at how much spell power?

the lower your spell power, the better a primary gem like INT is.
    the higher your spell power, the better a secondary gem like CRIT is.

INT is a fixed boost, while secondary stats multiply what you're doing already. therefore, the bigger "what you're doing already" is, the bigger the boost you get from a secondary gem.

Quote Originally Posted by marklar View Post
    at how much spell power?

the lower your spell power, the better a primary gem like INT is.
    the higher your spell power, the better a secondary gem like CRIT is.

INT is a fixed boost, while secondary stats multiply what you're doing already. therefore, the bigger "what you're doing already" is, the bigger the boost you get from a secondary gem.
    once your able to attain 9100 it is a larger increase than gemming pure int, HR ticks are around 114k plus and an extra RT tick helps much more than a few hundred int, int comes with gear.

Gems to go for are int/crit in yellow, int/spi in purple/blue, and haste/spi if needed in green slots, stat prio for resto is haste - crit - mastery while maintaining a good amount of spirit to be comfortable with.

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jadfer View Post
    Absolutely no mastery and you should reforge everything out of it. Go for 9100 haste if you raid with the 5% haste buff (also take ancestral swiftness). This gives you an extra tick of healing stream. After that gem crit in yellows, int/crit in reds and crit/spirit in blues, as long as the socket bonus isn't mastery or spirit.

I ran with about 12k spirit and a regen trinket when I was using the 9100 breakpoint. Just to clarify, the breakpoint is actually 8882, but you need to take your latency into account so you get the extra tick, 9100 is a safe bet to get the extra tick always.

Right now I'm trying out the 15.3k haste breakpoint but I haven't decided whether its worth it or not.
    How come no mastery, is it not as good anymore? I always read try to get to around 50% mastery but no need to have much else, and then go for haste/crit. I guess perhaps it may depend on what exactly you're healing as far as 10 or 25 man.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gocards06 View Post
    How come no mastery, is it not as good anymore? I always read try to get to around 50% mastery but no need to have much else, and then go for haste/crit. I guess perhaps it may depend on what exactly you're healing as far as 10 or 25 man.
    The 50% mastery is a bit of a myth that noone seems able to point to the origin of. In any case, even when going for as little mastery as possible on gear, you're still going to hover around 45+% mastery.

I saw some people gemming all mastery and int/mastery... What benefits would this have?

I saw some people gemming all mastery and int/mastery... What benefits would this have?
    I hope those people are using their elemental gear for resto. Mastery just isn't very good for resto shamans. The base amount you get is good enough. You gear for crit/haste to avoid people dropping to low health instead of gearing for mastery to heal them back up faster should they drop low.

You can use this site to check out some haste breakpoints should 9100 not be available to you yet. http://www.totemspot.com/vb/entry.php?b=41
    Last edited by Ilara; 2014-02-15 at 09:24 AM.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilara View Post
    I hope those people are using their elemental gear for resto. Mastery just isn't very good for resto shamans. The base amount you get is good enough. You gear for crit/haste to avoid people dropping to low health instead of gearing for mastery to heal them back up faster should they drop low.

You can use this site to check out some haste breakpoints should 9100 not be available to you yet. http://www.totemspot.com/vb/entry.php?b=41
    Mastery can work

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    I am currently having the same problem not sure which may to gem

they were probably gearing for heroic thok where a mastery build is very viable. other than that fight the best gearing has been haste/crit with 9.1k-15k breakpoints depending on gear lvl

Deleted
    9100 haste, rest crit. Find a sweetspot with crit-spirit ratio as more crit requires less spirit. Im currently forging all-out from spirit to crit and i still cant run oom, im 580ilvl so thats only natural i guess. Theres an addon around that calculates best stat for each fight, and crit was best in every single SoO heroic boss.

Its really a no contest, go as much crit as you can, utilize chainheal to the max, its basically a 0 mana spell with the best healing if it jumps atleast a couple times. Thats with high crit.

If i just could get my hands on some non-spirit mail, i could go for more haste.. Too bad theres not many pieces like that around.

As resto in a 10m heroic guild, I go for ~9100 haste, then dump everything into crit. Reforging out of all the spirit on my gear and gemming only crit, with the exception of int socket bonuses.

Red: potent vermilion onyx (int/crit)
    Blue: misty wild jade (spirit/crit)
    Yellow: smooth sun's radiance (crit)

Beyond gemming and reforging entirely for crit, take haste as the next best thing. Mastery is nearly-useless on most fights in current tier, and haste offers a decent throughput boost to riptide and healing rain.

Using this I can stay at around 11k spirit, and never oom. The exception is on nazgrim where people failing to kite is a given in my guild, and i have to GHW/HS a lot more often. Every other fight in the instance I will rarely dip below 70% mana. For trinkets, the best i have available to me are the nazgrim multistrike trinket and the upgraded timeless isle trinket. I'm ilvl 571 with ~9100 haste, 46% mastery, 11k spirit, and 43% crit.

You can ditch a lot of the tier pieces and just go for the 2-piece, as a lot of the off-pieces early in the instance are itemized spirit/crit. The 4 piece for resto is just slightly better than useless.

The only fight where another build with more mastery than minimal would be useful would be thok, where people frequently dip below 50%. Even then though, I stick with crit and do well on the fight just blanketing the raid in riptides and keeping healing rain down.

In general, fights where you glyph riptide and keep the raid blanketed you should never oom. Fights where you will be using a lot of single target heals, you should up your spirit if you don't have an external mana CD (I run with a priest for hymn of hope).

In 25 man I'd assume a haste build might be fairly viable for protectors- or norushen-esque fights where people will be stacked in healing rain. I've never tested it, so I couldn't honestly tell you.

TL;DR: Crit is a very safe go-to build that will perform consistently on all the fights in the current tier. It effectively reduces the mana costs of your spells while increasing their hps (even if it does result in overhealing, the mana is worth it), which allows you to drop a significant amount of spirit for more useful secondaries.