Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Yak View Post
    A prequel-sequel? Emphatically no. Ancient warcraft lore might be something worth exploring in an expansion for WoW, but for a proper sequel I'd want it set far into the future - 500-800 years or so, long after all current threads in WoW have been resolved. Legion, known Old Gods, etc. all gone. Major shake ups - redrawn lines on the map, re-organized factions. Races disappearing, a clean slate to start new stories, etc.

There was an expansion idea a while ago with a time travel focus - it involved a single new continent that had been formed from a storm of time anomalies - each zone in the continent was a piece of a different era, some far in the past, others from far possible futures, all welded together magically into a single whole. Something like that would allow for exploring all major events from past eras - the wars with the aqir, the rise of the mogu, the pre-Sundering battles with the Legion, potential disastrous futures, etc.
    Yak, you are truly the master of summarizing my thoughts on things. <3

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    For all intents and purposes WoD is Blizzard's attempt at WoW2. IMO
    I agree with this.

There probably won't be a WoW 2.Ever. And WoD is as far as Blizzard is going in restoring WoW. At least this expansion.

WoW 2 won't come after WoW.

The next MMO will be Starcraft or a new IP. WoW2 would kill WoW, where as WoW and a different MMO IP could co-exist.

I remember them saying, if they made a WoW 2, it would have to carry over your character or achievements or progress that you made from WoW 1, to keep people.

So, ignoring how the hell that would work in the first place, I think that would make it much harder to do a prequel, I'd imagine a WoW 2 would have to be pretty far in the future, 50/100 years?

10+ Year Old Account
    Star Wars Episodes 1, 2, and 3. Scorpion King 2.

Prequels are not always a great idea.

1. Canon Restrictions
    2. The Question Changes
    3. Plot Holes

I would honestly never play it.

Quote Originally Posted by Superman-BladesEdge View Post
    Star Wars Episodes 1, 2, and 3. Scorpion King 2.

Prequels are not always a great idea.

1. Canon Restrictions
    2. The Question Changes
    3. Plot Holes

I would honestly never play it.
    I agree,

That is why when they did the new "star trek" movie they went along with alternate universe via a small bit of time travel so they could do their own twist on story lines. The Star Trek enterprise series tried to be clever and ended up using a lot of time travel which ended up ruining the series for me.

If they did a wow 2, I would like to see it set in the future. Say few hundred years. Could have the alliance and the horde merged into one new super faction and them having a rival faction made up of some new races or something. having something set in the future gives you more room to do your own thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Soeroah View Post
    Was that my idea, or did someone else have a similar idea?

For context, this was my idea.
    This was something pre-Mists. The entire new continent and the new zones were set up very much like your final raid concept though - one zone was 16,000 years in the past, its neighboring zone was 1000 years in the future, a zone to the south was 10,000 years in the past, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Protar View Post
    Obviously the very possibility of a sequel to WoW is hotly debated, and I doubt it will happen unless Blizzard wants a completely new type of game play within the same IP. But if it ever does come to pass what about a prequel? Specifically taking place prior to the Sundering? This would provide a lot of interesting lore, with several Empires like the Highbourne, the Zandalari, the Aqir and the Mogu at their height during this period. There's an absolutely enormous mass of land, far too large to simply feature in an expansion for wow, far larger than all of the current continents + Draenor combined perhaps, which leaves plenty of room for expansions. The lore has a good framework to go on, but is also very vague and flexible with infinite potential for conflicts and now extinct races. It also allows WoW and WoW2 to exist as separate entities.

Assuming WoW2 ever did come out would this be something you would be interested in?
    No, let me stop you there. It's not debated at all. It's NOT going to happen and Blizzard has said so many times. Why force everyone to start over after 9+ years in the EXACT same universe when anything they want to do with the game can be done through expansions?

(for example, WoD can be considered a prequel)

No prequels.

Prequels are a tough subject in games. For books, movies and series, I'm ok-ish with them. Sure, I know the inevitable outcome, but the story can maybe fill some holes in the main story and entertain me.

In gaming, though... prequels are, in my opinion, bad. Why bad, you ask? Because, in a game, for me, my character's decisions and choices (and, by proxy, mine as well), should be meaningful. In other words, what my character does should be affecting the world it lives in. The issue with prequel games is that, no matter what my character says or does, the end is the same. In prequel games, my character is basically meaningless to the game because the game's ending is already set in stone.

Imagine if the Star Wars prequels were a game instead of a movie. To me, much of the game's 'magic' would be lost because I know that this tiny little pod racer kid is going to become the big bad black-wearing heaving 'I am your father' bastard that will destroy Alderaan. If you know how the game ends, and there's no way of changing it in-game, the game loses most of its appeal, to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Yak View Post
    This was something pre-Mists. The entire new continent and the new zones were set up very much like your final raid concept though - one zone was 16,000 years in the past, its neighboring zone was 1000 years in the future, a zone to the south was 10,000 years in the past, etc.
    I've been floating the idea in the pre-expansion wait for several expansions now, though it changes subtly every now and then because I never recall exactly what I said last time. Been wanting a time travel expansion long enough that I had the basic idea down since around the end of Wrath.

That said, I don't think I ever proposed it as a whole continent composed of the final raid idea, so it was probably someone else with a similar idea.

I think WoW "2" could happen.

But I would rather want it to be a sequel then a prequel. I want to see something that hasn't happened yet, something new, great ideas. Not going into the past maybe seeing what we've already known about.

What races could there be in future WoW "2" game?
    What classes?
    What new worlds?

And I'm not talking about something we've already known about, but something completely new. This could be interesting.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't get why people think WoW 2 will never happen. They're not going to be releasing expansions for WoW in the year 2030. The game will eventually hit under 500k subs. And the graphics and engine will eventually be just too dated.

I can definitely see Blizzard releasing a WoW 2 someday. It won't be for a decade though, but still. I would also like to see a pre-quel to WoW. Having either a prequel or a sequel set hundreds of years from now will allow them to give us just one faction too which is something they would obviously want to do. Sure two factions is great for the idea of WoW, but it's more trouble than it's worth.

I think going back far in Azeroth's timeline would be fun for a sequel er prequel. Back when trolls were rampant and the night elves worshipped Queen Azshara etc.
    Last edited by Beet; 2014-02-07 at 11:14 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by khalltusk View Post
    I agree,

That is why when they did the new "star trek" movie they went along with alternate universe via a small bit of time travel so they could do their own twist on story lines.
    But the new movie was not a "prequel", it was a reboot. The reboot just happens to take place in a new timeline because of the events. In quantum physics, the original timeline still exists. It's like saying Smallville was a Prequel for the Superman movies staring Christopher Reeves. Anyone who watched the show would see it was nothing like the comics, or the movies, and did its best to dance around certain storylines.

10+ Year Old Account
    If WoW2 was to be made, I wouldn't want it to be a prequel, it just limits far too many options.

Quote Originally Posted by Tekkommo View Post
    If WoW2 was to be made, I wouldn't want it to be a prequel, it just limits far too many options.
    I don't think a Sequel would be interesting enough for people to play it.
    Remember that a Sequel would be WoW but without all the progress you've made in WoW1, otherwise it would just be another xpac.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aydinx2
    People who don't buy the deluxe edition should be permanently banned. I'm sick of playing with poor people.

Quote Originally Posted by Superman-BladesEdge View Post
    But the new movie was not a "prequel", it was a reboot. The reboot just happens to take place in a new timeline because of the events. In quantum physics, the original timeline still exists. It's like saying Smallville was a Prequel for the Superman movies staring Christopher Reeves. Anyone who watched the show would see it was nothing like the comics, or the movies, and did its best to dance around certain storylines.
    That is my point. Prequels you tie your hands, with a reboot you dont do it as such. The writers wanted a reboot of the original and to do that would mean thinking of a way to explain that story.

10+ Year Old Account
    That is my point. Prequels you tie your hands, with a reboot you dont do it as such. The writers wanted a reboot of the original and to do that would mean thinking of a way to explain that story.
    Honeslty, I might enjoy a Steampunk/Cyberpunk version of WoW, set 8k years in the future. All the races we have, and 1/2 races in between. We already have a Human and Gnome married in the game, I would be curious to see the offspring of half races, and make it all techno based with some magic behind it. Something like Cyberpunk meets D&D. I would totally play a Gnome Data runner.

Deleted
    While I often agree that prequels limit the story, I don't really think that's the case when the prequel is set over 10,000 years prior to the main series. Most of the characters in present day WoW wouldn't be alive, meaning whole new characters and storylines but with just enough continuity to keep that WoW feeling. It's like how the Lord of The Rings and the Silmarillion aren't prequels or sequels to one another (depending on whether we're going by writing or publication order) - they're simply two works in the same setting but that happen to take place in different eras.