Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

The point of World of Warcraft

One crucial point behind the popularity of WoW, often forgotten, is, in my oppinion, the way the game allows us to live our Warcraft fantasy in an expansive and breathing world.

WoW provided a away for the legion of Warcraft RTS games fans a way of playing as one those units they had controlled in the previous games of the franchise. More importantly, it gave them a way of playing as one of those Heroic units they had controlled in the previous games.

Your fantasy of being a Turalyon or an Uther? Fulfilled through the Paladin class. A Lothar or a Doomhammer? The Warrior. Guldan? Malfurion? Thrall? Rexxar? Vol'jin? Jaina or Khadgar? Tyrande? Or even one unit not affiliated with any hero such as the Priest, the Shaman, or the Witch doctor.

All of those, you could play the equivalent of them in game. And that was simply amazing. Even if the corresponding class might not be a full copy of those units. The feeling was there.

Of course, not all of our beloved heroes were available. Arthas? Had to wait till WOTLK. Chen? Till MOP. And Illidan? Still waiting.

This is why, even though I recognize that there's very little room for it, that I believe that an incarnation of the Demon Hunter must be made available in game. The possibility of playing as an Illidan is simply essential to the fulfillment of WOW's promise.

You might say the Warlock already fulfills it. It does not. Give that class a melee spec and unlock it for Night Elves and I might accept that. But at the momment? It most certanly does not.

You might also say that wanting to play as an Illidan is simply being a fanboy, and that's not a good argument to be used when it comes to creating a class.

NONSENSE, I say! That's the whole point of this game! Allowing us, Warcraft fanboys, to live out our Warcraft fantasies!

I trust Blizzard to find a way to implement such a class in an interesting way. After what they did with the Monk class and Pandaria, I know they would do a great job.

It might not even be called Demon Hunter, the same way that the Monk isn't called Brewmaster, but I still hope that the promise will, someday, be fulfilled.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    So this entire post was just you saying you want the Demon Hunter class playable? xD I'm not sure what "promise" you're referring to though.
    Yes, that's essentially it.

By "promise" I mean how WoW "promised" us we could play as our favorite heroes/units from the RTS games. Yes, this wasn't an explicit promise made by the Devs or anything like that, but I believe it was one of main reasons behind the game's conception and success.

Edit: Though my argument doesn't require a Demon Hunter class per se. It could be a Warlock spec. Or a spec of another class, present or future.

Whatever its form, I believe it must happen.
    Last edited by mmoc992ee115d3; 2014-02-06 at 02:27 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm all for more options, as long as it is done well. But there are Demon Hunter threads you could have weighed in on. Not sure why you felt the need to get Shakespearean on a worn out topic.

Herald of the Titans Deathgoose's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    "Kill shit, get loot"

We're all just a bunch of murder hobos masquerading as "Heroes"

No need for more classes. If you want to play a demon hunter then roll a normal hunter and make yourself look demonlike with transmog. There you go, I just solved your problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Marema View Post
    No need for more classes. If you want to play a demon hunter then roll a normal hunter and make yourself look demonlike with transmog. There you go, I just solved your problem.
    Because that is even remotely the same....

Thought you had something meaningful to say at first. Then I saw it was just about demonhunters. You realise there are a 100 threads about demonhunters/Tinkers and whatever people want the next class to be right? Especially demonhunter has been whined and discussed to death.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathgoose View Post
    "Kill shit, get loot"

We're all just a bunch of murder hobos masquerading as "Heroes"
    Agreed. When I looked at my total number of kills in statistics after 4 years on this account (druid), I was FLOORED what kind of murderous lunatic I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Superman-BladesEdge View Post
    Agreed. When I looked at my total number of kills in statistics after 4 years on this account (druid), I was FLOORED what kind of murderous lunatic I am.
    Do a little rep grind!

Nothing says "I love you" like genocide!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by madmanx View Post
    Do a little rep grind!

Nothing says "I love you" like genocide!
    44 exalted reps.... genocide be my name

Pays $50, play D3 and get bored in 10mins, wish fulfilled.

Deleted
    Isn't the idea to be a roleplaying online game, build up and create your own hero and history?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zanthos View Post
    Isn't the idea to be a roleplaying online game, build up and create your own hero and history?
    Yep. Hit an RP realm, roll a hunter, get the gear, setup MyRolePlay add on, and write a history.

Had to laugh at the... uniqueness of this one. Though I am a Demon Hunter fan myself, their decision will be what it would have been regardless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zapheiros View Post
    This. Please can Blizzard get their act together and get the art department to start working on class balance. It's getting ridiculous.
    Quote Originally Posted by Illana View Post
    It's like when you grunt when you hit the ball in tennis, the exhalation of air gives the shot more power.

Deleted
    I think wow has lost its way. Originally I think wow was about adventuring in the world of warcraft. Wow has became a themepark ride, and the world has become irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Cle View Post
    I think wow has lost its way. Originally I think wow was about adventuring in the world of warcraft. Wow has became a themepark ride, and the world has become irrelevant.
    Community-based problem, not game design.
    This. Please can Blizzard get their act together and get the art department to start working on class balance. It's getting ridiculous.
    It's like when you grunt when you hit the ball in tennis, the exhalation of air gives the shot more power.

*backs out of thread slowly*

This horse has been beaten far to many times. btw OP, the horse is still dead - you you just started beating the shit out of it again.
    “What was God doing before the divine creation? Was he preparing
    hell for people who asked such questions?” - Stephen Hawking

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveZombie View Post
    Community-based problem, not game design.
    Its a game design problem because developers have been unable to make the world relevant for players.

Demon Hunter will never happen. They are basically rogues with demonic communion, and making a class identical to an existing one just to shut up the Illidan fanboys is a good way to ruin your game and it's balance.

And if it does happen, it'll be in the Burning Legion expac that will be the final expansion of the franchise, so they won't care about balance or anyone for that matter. The game will be over and done with.

Quote Originally Posted by Cle View Post
    Its a game design problem because developers have been unable to make the world relevant for players.
    I don't see any way that can be accomplished within reason though. The people that enjoy exploring the world do that already, and with even better accessibility now with old world flying, and I can't envision an end-game that involves flying around looking at pretty tree models.