Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Skroesec View Post
    When people get up infront of congress and testify about cybersecurity, they often mention "Criminals", which comes off as somewhat random. But it's entirely real. Central Asian (Russian, Ukranian particularly) organized crime has gotten fantastically wealthy off of Cybercrime. They're very smart, very capable and really only ever a few years behind state-of-the-art. They follow the money.
    They're very good at it, and you have the largest gathering of global wealthy, celebs, journalists, and dignitaries in the world in their backyard.
    This is like an all you can eat buffet for them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenblade View Post
    I dunno, I've been using Kaspersky software for almost 10 years without much problems. Guess that makes me a Sovi^H^H^H^HRussian agent!
    AVP was for a long time by far the best anti virus software on the market. I switched to AVast though a few years ago.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Skroesec View Post
    You're from Malta right? So it would be mudslinging to talk about a country that is *literally* selling its citizenship to paying customers and would be EU citizens to the point the EU had to step in and put their foot down? It would be mudslinging to talk about how it was international opinion that the entire exercise was bullshit?

You mudsling while decrying mudslinging. That's hysterical.

By the way, if it's such "fear-mongering", why does Google, corporations governments and firms all practice "loaners" and "scrubbing" of hardware when going to China and Russia, as written in that New York Time article from two years ago? Do they do it because they're bored?
    Afaik he is from either Romania or Bulgaria.. He tries to conceal his origins, since whenever there's a chance he slings mud at the West.
    Yet in this case at hand, he has a point without making it....
    There IS anti-russian media out there, just as much as there's anti-US, anti-UK, anti-German, anti-French. It's just a matter of how much for the various targets.
    The difficulty for us people is to wade through all news reports and get a picture what goes on, and what's bullshit stories.
    I found myself so puzzled about all the reports from Sochi, that I went into "defensive stance" and really started to look into whole heaps of various news sources from a whole array of countries. But the rule of thumb still holds water..... If in doubt, stick with Reuters and AP.
    Those are only news agencies, around the block for well over 100 years, and limit themselves to publishing the bare news. Most news outlets basically buy the bare news from them, and use them for their stories.
    That's for the written media...
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    Again, why didn't wear anything about stuff like this when we had the olympics in China? That place should be worse, but nothing like this was reported then.

You must realize, that Sochi, actually IS this bad.
    You're kidding right? In terms of human rights and worker conditions you cant even compare Russia and China, it wasnt reported because it wasnt the goal, the West accepts China and is not trying to influence it not to damage the relationship between countries, since all the shit is made in China these days, so you wanna improve the human rights situation but you also want it not to cost you $$, the hypocrisy.

As for Sochi every little thing is reported and exaggerated only to bash Putin once again, and opinion being presented as facts.
    Last edited by wowsucks; 2014-02-06 at 02:45 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    AVP was for a long time by far the best anti virus software on the market. I switched to AVast though a few years ago.
    I was on the verge of switching when they couldn't fix a certain performance problem related to web-browsing. When this year's subscription is expired again I will re-evaluate my choices again, since I got two PCs this is an important decision for me as well. I am using Avast for my mobile devices though, seems to work really well and I am happy about its performance.
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by Wacomman View Post
    These things happen daily by the thousands. These Olympics are no different. It's not news but Americans really seem hell-bent on making Russians look like cavemen who discovered electricity 5 years ago.
    Yeah, fearing that they're (criminals, not the government) harvesting private info from likely thousands of the worlds wealthy at the Olympics.

That's totally acting like they're technological troglodytes.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was on the verge of switching when they couldn't fix a certain performance problem related to web-browsing. When this year's subscription is expired again I will re-evaluate my choices again, since I got two PCs this is an important decision for me as well. I am using Avast for my mobile devices though, seems to work really well and I am happy about its performance.
    The subscription renewal was the major drawback to me. I found it just too expensive over time. While I had it, it was like $100.00 for 2 years.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll vouch for Avast based on my experience.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Deleted
    I bet Samsung is behind this!

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

I thought so.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.