Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Gnomes are a joke filler race, dunno if OP's post is intended to be in the same manner, or actually serious.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Toobad View Post
    Gnomes are a joke filler race, dunno if OP's post is intended to be in the same manner, or actually serious.
    Pandaren were a Joke Filler race, Gnomes have been a Player race for 9 years, and they were an important race in WC2.

Regardless if they were intended to be a joke race, guess what? People like them and play them. Perhaps you haven't noticed something about WoW, but it's not really too serious of a game in general. Perhaps digging in poop and Haris Pilton is serious business to you though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gothicshark View Post
    We use technology and Science to get what we need, the Light can be calculated by science, asking elements to hand over power is counter to being able to calculate and quantify. And frankly hugging trees is not something a gnome would do.
    Which is precisely why I would use technology to harness the natural magic

- - - Updated - - -

I am actually serious. Also, Gnomes are not a joke race... they are the ORIGINAL race. They suffered a Curse of Flesh changing them from Mecha-Gnomes into the meaty men and women we have today. The Titans made the Gnomes to help maintain things. Trolls came MUCH later. Please, know your lore before spouting dribble

Quote Originally Posted by Superman-BladesEdge View Post
    Gnomish Photonic : (Paladin)

The followers of the Holy Light do not worship any gods. Instead, it is a philosophy, training its followers to seek perfection within themselves. It is very much an active practice of virtue rather than a passive worship. Those who follow it closely gain spiritual awareness and guidance, allowing them to lead others.
    Erm, no. It *is* worship, plain and simple. The Light is a real thing, it's the holy magic. The Naaru are arguably avatars of the Light itself.

Gnomish EcoMechanic: (Druid)

Druids harness the vast powers of nature to preserve balance and protect life. With experience, druids can unleash nature’s raw energy against their enemies, raining celestial fury on them from a great distance, binding them with enchanted vines, or ensnaring them in unrelenting cyclones. Given their interest in scientific knowledge and their recent discovery in the ability to harness and use the Light, Gnomes gave into their curiosity of Nature shared with the Dwarves, and studied Druids intently.
    The Dwarves never had a curiosity to the nature. Ever. They have, at best, a connection to the elements due to their earthen ancestry. Something the gnomes have not, since they came from mechanical titan constructs.

Gnomish Primalists: (Hunters)

From an early age the call of the wild draws some adventurers from the comfort of their homes into the unforgiving primal world outside. Those who endure become hunters. Masters of their environment, they are able to slip like ghosts through the trees and lay traps in the paths of their enemies.

Gnomish Primalists, following in the footsteps of their Dwarven neighbors have learned to blend into their surroundings, moving silently and swiftly. Thanks to a small device called T.A.M.E.D. (Tamed Animal Multifunctional Electronic Device), Gnomish Primalists commune telepathically with the beast in much the same way a natural hunter would. The device allows them to also track and train animals and beasts found in the wild. A full libram of Azeroth creatures (and beyond) display as beast lore, telling the hunter if the beast will be affected by the T.A.M.E.D. chip or not.
    You're assuming a lot of things about hunters. They don't have a telepathic connection to their pets. They 'work as one' because of years of training and living together. Your 'gnome inventions' would put them way ahead of the normal hunters.

Gnomish Micro-Elementalist: (Shaman)

The elements are chaotic, and left to their own devices, they rage against one another in unending primal fury. It is the call of the shaman to bring balance to this chaos. Acting as moderators among earth, fire, water, and air, shaman summon totems that focus the elements to support the shaman’s allies or punish those who threaten them.
    I'll repeat what I said in the druid part. Gnomes have no connection to the elements from their ancestry. And the shaman role is not something a gnome would usually be interested in as they already have access to fire, water, lightning and earth through normal technological means, without striking a bond of servitude to the elements.

In other words, you're distorting the lore way too much for your ideas, and in some cases, completely ignoring it. Please take the lore into consideration when you want to post new race/class combos, and please make the explanations make sense within the game's lore. But, by all means, do please keep creating.

- - - Updated - - -

I am actually serious. Also, Gnomes are not a joke race... they are the ORIGINAL race. They suffered a Curse of Flesh changing them from Mecha-Gnomes into the meaty men and women we have today. The Titans made the Gnomes to help maintain things. Trolls came MUCH later. Please, know your lore before spouting dribble
    So ironic... Gnomes are a filler race. The only reason High Elves weren't put into the Alliance was because of what Arthas did at Silvermoon, killing a truck-load of elves, and then, from the survivors, Kael'Thas took a big chunk of them with him to become Blood Elves. In other words, not enough elves left to be considered a proper race. And since they didn't want to create a new race solely to make it 4 races on both sides, gnomes were picked. The 'gnomes being older than trolls because of mechanic ancestors' didn't come to be until well AFTER WoW was introduced.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    Erm, no. It *is* worship, plain and simple. The Light is a real thing, it's the holy magic. The Naaru are arguably avatars of the Light itself.

The Dwarves never had a curiosity to the nature. Ever. They have, at best, a connection to the elements due to their earthen ancestry. Something the gnomes have not, since they came from mechanical titan constructs.

You're assuming a lot of things about hunters. They don't have a telepathic connection to their pets. They 'work as one' because of years of training and living together. Your 'gnome inventions' would put them way ahead of the normal hunters.

I'll repeat what I said in the druid part. Gnomes have no connection to the elements from their ancestry. And the shaman role is not something a gnome would usually be interested in as they already have access to fire, water, lightning and earth through normal technological means, without striking a bond of servitude to the elements.

In other words, you're distorting the lore way too much for your ideas, and in some cases, completely ignoring it. Please take the lore into consideration when you want to post new race/class combos, and please make the explanations make sense within the game's lore. But, by all means, do please keep creating.

- - - Updated - - -

So ironic... Gnomes are a filler race. The only reason High Elves weren't put into the Alliance was because of what Arthas did at Silvermoon, killing a truck-load of elves, and then, from the survivors, Kael'Thas took a big chunk of them with him to become Blood Elves. In other words, not enough elves left to be considered a proper race. And since they didn't want to create a new race solely to make it 4 races on both sides, gnomes were picked. The 'gnomes being older than trolls because of mechanic ancestors' didn't come to be until well AFTER WoW was introduced.
    I hate to burst the paladin bubble (pun intended) but it is not worship.

The followers of the Holy Light do not worship any gods. Instead, it is a philosophy, training its followers to seek perfection within themselves. It is very much an active practice of virtue rather than a passive worship. Those who follow it closely gain spiritual awareness and guidance, allowing them to lead others.
    - Source

Well, I certainly appreciate the response, and would leave all the particulars to Blizz. Mine was more or less a demonstration that is is possible to have one name, in Lore, and the same name in Gameplay. The Gnome would not really be a Druid, or a Paladin, or a Shaman. According to this lore, they are merely harnessing the magical and natural resources using technology. By "gameplay" standards, for all intents and purposes, they would very much be Paladins, Druids, and Shaman. The lore here explains they are not actually worshiping or following anything. They are simply treating it as a Science experiment to expand their regiments. This is where Lore vs Gameplay gets flexible. Like Blood Knights and Sun Walkers. Neither are Paladins in Lore, but in Gameplay. Undead Holy Priest. In lore, it is shadow magic, but Gameplay says Holy. I think each of my ideas work on both fronts.

10+ Year Old Account

I think its fairly obvious how to give Gnomes more lore; Give them the technology class they were always meant to have.

Anyone remember the Gnome crest?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    --- snipped ---

I think its fairly obvious how to give Gnomes more lore; Give them the technology class they were always meant to have.
    As much as I value the bump in interest, and willing to let a shameless plug slide, I don't mind adding a tinker class IN ADDITION to gameplay options for each of these classes. Only having ONE healing class is ridiculous.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chipskinesen View Post
    Would never play anything else if gnomes could be Druids, would be so cute with tiny animal forms
    You and me both.

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Blade View Post
    Gnomish sappers would be fun. Strap a bomb on their back and run into a fortification.
    Ha I love it. That is about all Gnomes are good for.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Darkvoltinx View Post
    i cant take gnome druids seriously.
    Let me fix that for you, "I can't take gnomes seriously."

10+ Year Old Account
    I believe whole-heartedly that Gnomes should only be able to be priests, warlocks, mages, and rogues. There should be no such thing as a gnome armored in plate- they just aren't physically capable of wearing plate and swinging 2 handed swords.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hunters yeah, pallies yeah, Druids just no. I'm sorry the lore you made up doesn't do it for me. It's just wrong : / and I play gnome

Monk Shaman

I had a bowl of nails for breakfast......without any milk.

I like the paladin idea but not the tech part. The Holy Light ingame isn't just visible light to harness, its has more spiritual than material meaning.
    Even though I'd love gnome paladins, and as a matter of fact gnome anything, I don't see how a gnome, that a tauren can step on by mistake, can be a noble and honorable defender of the weak, poor and sick. Gnomish fails would mean often embarrassment for the Order, and they would have it hard to prove themselves worthy.
    It's a bit like a midget marine in real world, although in game there are gnome warriors.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cafua View Post
    Hunters yeah, pallies yeah, Druids just no. I'm sorry the lore you made up doesn't do it for me. It's just wrong : / and I play gnome
    Fairly certain my lore is irrelevant. I was just illustrating it is not difficult to write new lore. I am confident Blizz would do a much better job.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GLorym View Post
    It's a bit like a midget marine in real world, although in game there are gnome warriors.
    Comparing the real world to a fantasy world is a stretch since other things in the fantasy world also do not exist IRL. That is what makes fantasy more amazing. Also, were it not for Frodo and Bilbo, the Tolkien series likely would have been boring.

Comparing the real world to a fantasy world is a stretch since other things in the fantasy world also do not exist IRL. That is what makes fantasy more amazing. Also, were it not for Frodo and Bilbo, the Tolkien series likely would have been boring.
    Yeesh, those were the boring parts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cabyio View Post
    Yeesh, those were the boring parts.
    Fair enough... maybe Merri and Pippin

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zazeeth View Post
    Using technology to bend nature to your will seems like it'd backlash on you.
    No more real backlash than a Blood Knight bending the light to his will, or a Tauren using the Sun. Power is gained in many ways in this world. For a Gnome, technology seems to be the obvious answer.

Personally, I'm of a mind that every race either already has or ought to have a perfectly good story for explaining every every race/class combo, especially the ones that are routinely rejected around here as impossible. Nothing is impossible. If there's one thing I've taken away from my time playing this game, it's that. Gnome paladins, druids, hunters and shamans, I can totally dig. All of those are stories waiting to be told. It would be nice to see goblins get a similar treatment though, since that's the side I'm stuck playing. But honestly, I think both of these races are going to continue to feel like they're missing something big without a tinker class thrown into the mix as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drilnos View Post
    Personally, I'm of a mind that every race either already has or ought to have a perfectly good story for explaining every every race/class combo, especially the ones that are routinely rejected around here as impossible. Nothing is impossible. If there's one thing I've taken away from my time playing this game, it's that. Gnome paladins, druids, hunters and shamans, I can totally dig. All of those are stories waiting to be told. It would be nice to see goblins get a similar treatment though, since that's the side I'm stuck playing. But honestly, I think both of these races are going to continue to feel like they're missing something big without a tinker class thrown into the mix as well.
    I am not one for shameless plugs, but I happen to agree. I think Goblins should get similar love, and these two races should have a Tinker Class. If we can't become anything else, maybe we should be the only two races to have tinkers. Might make us more noticeable in the world when if you want a tinker, you have to play a shorty

Well, that's just adorable. Anyone who doesn't want this is some sort of plain vanilla savage who hates things that make them have feelings.