Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Diaxx View Post
    Eh, it was expected.

I've played WoW for 8 years, and MoP has definitely been the low point. A lot of people are resubbing now in anticipation of WoD, including me. I hadn't been subbed for almost 9 months and then resubbed to get my SoO ahead of the curve achieve and finish leveling some characters.

If WoD ends up being a continuation of MoP, then the game will decline even further.

Most people who pick on the "WoW is dying" saying are either very new to the game and haven't seen what has happened or have played forever and can't see themselves not playing.

"Shrinking" would be a better term than "dying"

One of the only reasons MoP didn't lower the subs by a massive amount (7 million+ subs loss) is that there is no good alternative MMO that appeals to casuals.
    ^^^ Couldn't have said it better

This game isn't going anywhere. There is no point in the games history when this wasn't true. MMO's much older than this continue along on a mere fraction of WoW's playerbase, some of which still get sub fees. You can cite games that have shut their servers down, but in the broad scope of the genre, these are not the norm.

It's because WoD is like a new game.
    Especially thanks to instant lvl 90, it's almost like the previous content does not exist and people can just treat it as a new game.

That's why WoW is still popular, not because of nostalgia, but because every xpac makes you go to new areas with new features/abilities/classes/races that make the game feel fresh enough to give off a "new game" feel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aydinx2
    People who don't buy the deluxe edition should be permanently banned. I'm sick of playing with poor people.

There are MMOs as old, or older, that are still running and having new content developed. WoW will be the same way at some point in the future. No longer will it be the mainstream MMO, but will eventually lose much of its active playerbase and have a smaller but stable group of players playing it.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Oh great. That means 5 more expansions featuring Onyxia and Kael'thas... On a serious note tho, everything has an beginning and an end so to be fair, wow won't end and nothing will kill it so by that I can say that wow probably has 3-5 years remaining with a huge amount of playerbase.

10+ Year Old Account
    WoW at TBC levels. I am happy with that
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Quote Originally Posted by Carnebill View Post
    ^^^ Couldn't have said it better
    I take back what I said. And so it continues..

10+ Year Old Account
    This is funny because last quarter WoW lost 100k subs and the doomsayers were all like:" meh, wait till NEXT quarter, that quarter will def make WoW lose 2M LOLOLOLOL"

Then..it comes and WoW gain 200k subs, and guess what does the doomsayers say? 'WAIT THE NEXT QUARTER WOW WILL LOSE 2M subs LOLOLOLOLOL!!111!!"

Also, i bet WoW will be here for the next 20 years, hell, just look at Ultima Online, still going on.

Deleted
    The doomsayers will probably die before WoW dies.

Deleted
    gz wow - it must be the new xpac looming

As much as I despise the direction they have taken the game, there is no denying that they are king and always will be king of the mmo market. I really do think Hearthstone is a major factor in why the subs have gone up. It brought in other gaming crowds and the former players who went to those crowds probably got a big hit of nostalgia with it. It also helps that it's probably the most fun card game I've played to date. Flex was a good bridge between the casual and the "hardcore" player, but there is just so many more glaring issues in my opinion that don't give me a reason to resub.

It may be a temporary boost because of Hearthstone/hype for the Expac. The next dip down is going to be huge and people are going to freak the fuck out.

Stood in the Fire eldritchforeshadow's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I am glad it is not dying; I have seen the sub numbers drop over the years and because of this, every Blizzard sub report I assume a loss. However,this report is positive and unexpected and I am very happy.

Deleted
    These threads are just as annoying as "WOW DYINK!!" ones.

This just in, subs fluctuate with content announcements. More at 11.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cæli View Post
    What do you mean by dying ?
    WoW won't die, there will always have players willing to play WoW.
    Game becoming heavily underpopulated compared to nowadays and content beeing no longer added (like "game is done now"), sure so.
    I would honestly surprised if it gets to the point where they no longer add content to the game any time soon. Switch to purely digital expansions that are smaller is scope? Sure, but no new content at all? Not for a very, very long time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diaxx View Post
    This is the most short-sighted, under-educated thing I have ever read in my entire life. People change, technology changes, the world changes. If you honestly think people will be playing WoW after the next 10 years are done, then you seriously need some help.

Just think of Runescape as an example. 10 years ago, it was the most popular game in the world. Now, even with all the money and time spent trying to make it better, the game is losing players at an insane rate. Tech changed, newer games came out, RS died.
    Everquest is still going and they are still making new content for that. EQ is a much closer comparison to WoW then Runescape is. Even still, they still make content and update Runescape as well. It isn't dead by any means. An MMO is not dead until they close the servers. SWG is dead. Warhammer Online is dead. I really don't see WoW getting to that point any time soon and certainly not in 10 years.

WoW is like a Netflix account. You keep paying for it & playing/watching mediocre stuff hoping that a good gameplay/movie will come around.

So when WoW subs drop over a million it's no big deal, but when they go up 200k it is a big deal?

Quote Originally Posted by Zaqwert View Post
    So when WoW subs drop over a million it's no big deal, but when they go up 200k it is a big deal?
    A million less is a big deal, but if it was -500 000, it would follow the trend, while gaining subs outside expansion launches is rare. It counters expectation, and it's also good news, so people like to talk about it more.
    Mother pus bucket!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deuse View Post
    WoW is like a Netflix account. You keep paying for it & playing/watching mediocre stuff hoping that a good gameplay/movie will come around.
    Compared to anything on the marked since Wow launched till now, Wow is still the greatest game around.

I've been gone for nearly a year to try out other games (which includes the cash shop games that's around), and in my experience they all revolve around the single player aspects even though they try and pretend it's team based environments.., but they all lack that common uniting goal that wow has inherently built into the raiding environment.

That reason alone will ensure this game ain't going anywhere in the nearest future!

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm still trying to figure out how you can end a title with ~ and expect a serious discussion afterward.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.