Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Windows 8 - I made a horrible mistake.

So I just bought a new PC and I must admit I did not inform myself about Windows 8 before deciding to go with it as my new OS. I have never been as angry as I have with this OS till I installed third party software allowing me to access a start menu and certain options on my PC once more.

First of all the new metro menu is completely atrocious. It's not made for desktop PC's at all but for touch screen one's. Also it hides away a lot of options and possibility to access and controll the PC from the user in a "Nah, you don't need to know or care about that!" way similar to what apple does. At first I thought the PC came with malware already installed seeing how what was greeting me a screen filled with what looked like advertisements and junk apps I wouldn't ever need.

The best thing however was them barring the use of things such as Skype behind a microsoft account constantly bawing at me to make a microsoft account in order to access anything. Purging all that nasty stuff from my pc and basically getting rid of every single last app was pretty annoying.

How can anyone like this at all? This isn't the future. It's basically Microsoft railroading it's users, thinking every single last one to have an IQ below 70~ and in need of an colorful intro start screen to keep them occupied and away from all those nasty pc settings and the likes. And yes I am ranting. #Such Angry # Much Ranting # WoW.

I like it alot. Works very well for me if you need to mess with your comp just start typing the name of the program or file folder w/e you need in the start menu thing. I honestly don't see why people think its bad at all. It's really easy to navigate and find anything after a little bit of messing around.

For some reason everyone believes a touchscreen phone is the future of everything. Nobody I know uses Windows 8, it just turns your computer into a fucking smartphone, which is complete bullshit if I actually want to put my good system parts to use, because I wouldn't be able to play 90% of games I do now.

Next to none likes it. Windows 7 still sells better than win8 for the same reason.
    I mostly use linux, but when i have to use windows i use win7. Win8 is way too annoying to deal with. I'm told it's fairly useful if you have a touchscreen..
    Everyone has so much to say
    They talk talk talk their lives away

Deleted
    Desktop aren't the future as far is profit goes, so they don't aim to keep that the easiest to handle.

Deleted
    Change, it's scary. I use 8.1, works perfectly

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SpookySkeleton View Post
    For some reason everyone believes a touchscreen phone is the future of everything. Nobody I know uses Windows 8, it just turns your computer into a fucking smartphone, which is complete bullshit if I actually want to put my good system parts to use, because I wouldn't be able to play 90% of games I do now.
    Don't you know the future of gaming is squinting through skin oils covering the screen?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

I know alot of people who use win8, and they(myself included) have no problems with it. If it bothers you so much either install classicshell which will bring back the start menu or reinstall win7, simple.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

I bought PC and laptop without system just for the sole reason of not having to put up with worst Windows ever - Wiondows 8. There is nothing better than fresh install of W7 on PC/laptop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by elmowaki View Post
    Ditto /10chars

nvm, misread something, ignore this
    Last edited by Bender16; 2014-02-08 at 02:44 PM.

Meh, just use classic shell. The start screen is crap, I agree, but everything else in Windows 8 works really well.

10+ Year Old Account
    This. People don't like change. I never used the damn startmenu again since windows search feature was added in Windows vista/7. This OP's rant just seems like an ignorant hatespeech to me, and serves no purpose.

I love Win8, and I've always been a desktop person. I don't even own a tablet or smartphone.

The whole interface is literally a copy pasta of windows 7, bar the start menu that get 5 minutes to get used to. Aside from that anything with windows 8.1 is much faster than 7 in menu responses to me. Not sure why someone is saying it cannot play his games..... it has about the same compatility modes as windows 7, i have yet to find a game i couldnt run.

10+ Year Old Account
    While 8.1 is an upgrade to 8, it makes some significant changes that make the OS something approaching useable. (Personally, I'm still finding Mint to be superior to any Windows version, but realize that may not be true for non-Linux fans.)
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

10+ Year Old Account
    You get used to it. I hated it at first too. Now I think it's superior.

Except for the atrocious metro ui I found W8 to be the better OS over 7.

8.1 is a diff story, that little update fucked over my pc considerably.

On my desktop i use windows 7 but for work i have to use a windows 8 laptop that was provided for me, i don't like Metro at all so here are my tips:

1. Install 8.1 update and set it to start to desktop.
    2. Install classic shell.
    3. Disable Hot Corners (charms bar, etc), Classic Shell has this option since version 3.6.

Then you pretty much have windows 7 with some improvements.

More Windows 8 bashing. I use it. I have since day 1. Absolutely nothing wrong with it.

Deleted
    I've used win8 for a long time now! In the begninning it was weird, now I can't really see myself go back to win7! I don't miss the startmenu and have never understood why it was so important! With the new 8.1 that made it even better!