Deleted

Shaman Ele raiding

hiya
    i've decided to get back into raiding i have 8 level 90's but decided that i want to go with ele shammy and just now starting to gear him up. However im wondering is ele shammy any good? I'll only really be doing 10man normal maybe a few heroic kills with the guild, i've looked at noxxic logs but realise the website is useless but not sure where else to find this sort of information.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Sieg View Post
    hiya
    i've decided to get back into raiding i have 8 level 90's but decided that i want to go with ele shammy and just now starting to gear him up. However im wondering is ele shammy any good? I'll only really be doing 10man normal maybe a few heroic kills with the guild, i've looked at noxxic logs but realise the website is useless but not sure where else to find this sort of information.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
    Pros:
    Amazing cleave
    Extremely high mobility
    Great utility and off healing

Cons:
    Low single target dps
    Low multi dot potential/less gain than other casters when adds are spread

The way this plays out is you'll usually not be one of the highest during single target fights, but dominate fights such as galakras or protectors (if the raid stays stacked).

As said above, you'd be playing Elemental because you enjoy it and not because it does pro win DPS.

Deleted
    ok appreciate the help im enjoying it so far unlike others i quite enjoy the RNG.
    Out of curiosity does Ench do more single target? might make an off spec for it always looked quite fun

Quote Originally Posted by Sieg View Post
    ok appreciate the help im enjoying it so far unlike others i quite enjoy the RNG.
    Out of curiosity does Ench do more single target? might make an off spec for it always looked quite fun
    Enhance does considerably more single target than Enhance, though it's also harder to play.

As with everything in this game, play the class/spec you enjoy rather than the class/spec that is overpowered.

Classes can get nerfed/buffed.

Deleted
    appreciate the help

Quote Originally Posted by Anzen View Post
    Enhance does considerably more single target than Enhance, though it's also harder to play.

As with everything in this game, play the class/spec you enjoy rather than the class/spec that is overpowered.

Classes can get nerfed/buffed.
    Classes will get nerfed/buffed, but is the recent quote about Ele Sham dps supposed to mean that Ele Shams are in an overall fine state?

Poster: My upward 50-100K dmg differential on an attempt to attempt basis as Ele begs to differ...
    Dev: If you meant 50k-100k DPS, I'm very dubious of that being due to RNG. If you meant 50k-100k damage, that's negligible.

Quote Originally Posted by Xeonii View Post
    Classes will get nerfed/buffed, but is the recent quote about Ele Sham dps supposed to mean that Ele Shams are in an overall fine state?
    Yes they are middle of the pack now; which is a fine state to be.

And really, read the rest of the tweets between that poster and the Dev. the poster is a weasel that compares a fight where he has perfect uptime to a fight where he dies and doesn't have all buffs for the remainder of the fight. Nitpicking at it's best.

Before super high ilvls, ele single target can be somewhat competitive if you play well.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChowChillaCharlie View Post
    So many people in this thread just got bitchslapped by reality .

Quote Originally Posted by Grush View Post
    Before super high ilvls, ele single target can be somewhat competitive if you play well.
    That's the thing, if other people are playing as well as you, then single target this is very unlikely, unless there is extremely high movement. We make up for it somewhat in our strengths though.
    Last edited by Naedrim; 2014-02-11 at 12:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirdean View Post
    Pros:
    Amazing cleave
    Extremely high mobility

Cons:
    Low single target dps

The way this plays out is you'll usually not be one of the highest during single target fights, but dominate fights such as galakras or protectors (if the raid stays stacked).
    At the same time though. They would only be doing normal with a few heroic. So the low single target DPS won't affect them much.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirdean View Post
    Pros:
    Amazing cleave
    Extremely high mobility

Cons:
    Low single target dps

Elemental dominates on protectors? Seems like you're running with some really awful multi-DoT players: http://raidbots.com/dpsbot/The_Falle...14/60/default/

Elemental's fights are Galakras (add damage portion only, and really, who cares?), Dark Shamans (add DPS actually matters here and the only better DPS spec for this fight is a warlock, IMO) and spoils (assuming you can convince the raid to open all of the little boxes and leave one of the big jerks inside his crate). Everywhere else, we get soundly beat by warlocks, mages, hunters, blah, blah, blah.

You got the cons right, but I don't think it's fair to list those things as pros without the multitude of caveats that come with them. Mobility? Warlocks and hunters have it better and kill our damage while moving (and oh, look, Blizzard already wants to rip that bandaid off ... This is my shocked face. Really.). Amazing cleave? We get shut down on 2-4 target fights by multi-DoT classes and dominated in fights with more targets by classes with genuine AoE. Elemental's only real strength from cleave is hectic add spawns (foul geyser, spoils boxes, Galakras waves) with targets that don't survive long enough to make multi-DoT effective. Yeah, we can off-heal, but both of the other caster hybrids are generally better at it.

I love Elemental and I have a ton of fun playing my shaman, but I also have years of attachment to the character and the spec, and I seriously cannot tell anyone who is concerned for their raid performance to consider it seriously. We're the most bandaid-ed spec in the history of WoW and we get beat like a red-headed step child with nerf bat any time we even dare to look at the top of the DPS charts. T9 4-piece double-nerf, 250% crits, 5% unleashed lightning tax (JK! Sorry we gave your toys to mages and warlocks, you can have them back now!), constant GCD cap issues (being permanently grounded on Alysrazor was awesome, thanks!) ... Well, you get the idea.

Elemental's one and only true pro: spell haste (oh, crap, hunters have THAT, too). BRB, re-rolling hunter.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by KClovesGaming View Post
    At the same time though. They would only be doing normal with a few heroic. So the low single target DPS won't affect them much.
    I'm scratching my head over the point of this comment. Does low single target DPS somehow make less difference if your goal is only a few heroics, instead of a full clear? If he wasn't concerned with the class's capabilities, he wouldn't have asked. And it's never "fun" to be a liability to your raid.

Deleted
    Pros:
    Ranged dps (easier target swapping).
    Extremely strong aoe/cleave dps.
    Knockback spell (you have no idea of how often this can be a lifesaver for both you and your fellow raiders).
    A wide varity of totems and abilities that can greatly benefit your raid (all though enhancement has the exact same totems).

Cons:
    Mastery has a 100% cap and haste caps out even faster once you get the legendary meta, which should bring your casting time below 1 sec (lower than gcd).
    Crit doesn't increase lava burst damage (in difference to chaos bolt) which makes spirit/crit gear close to useless.
    Very few talent choices, as talents such as Totemic Projection, Echo of the Elements, Ancestral Guidance and Earthgrab Totem being pretty much stalemate, meaning little opportunity of swapping, unless your playing around with Proving Grounds or Challenge Modes.

P.S Earthgrab can sometimes be switched out, but only due to the fact that rooting everything in place can cause issues for melee dpsers.

Quote Originally Posted by Adhemar View Post

I'm scratching my head over the point of this comment. Does low single target DPS somehow make less difference if your goal is only a few heroics, instead of a full clear? If he wasn't concerned with the class's capabilities, he wouldn't have asked. And it's never "fun" to be a liability to your raid.
    If you're a liability to your raid, it's because you're bad not because you play elemental. Plenty of elementals were brought for progression for high end guilds, and he isn't raiding high end so it's even more bring the player not the class. Elemental isn't a shit as people say, yeah we aren't topping meters but middle of the pack is fine.