Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KatsukoHigirashi View Post
    If you dot not understand why the video I linked was the source for gliff's statement then you are not connecting the dots hard enough. Also my source that blizzard has been only testing 10 man internally is blizzard themselves. And before anyone asks or wants to comment, yes they do critical fail completion tests of boss mechanics with a god mode like state enabled but that is little to do with the actual testing of a fights balance. Which a rough balance pass is done internally on 10 man.
    Anyone with half a brain can figure out the testing that you're saying. Of course Blizzard has ai or bots put together to do testing or 1 man testing each mechanic to see how it works. That's software development 101. But making claims that Blizzard takes 10mans and multiples by 2.5? If it was that easy why do they spend weeks testing 25m normal/heroic content on the PTR?

You're making blanket statements on personal opinions which are not facts.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dracodraco View Post
    If this is true, stuff like http://www.wowhead.com/item=105601 (hvitserk's formidable shanker) makes so much more sense. I'm not a rogue, but a quick search around the net gives me absolutely nothing on Hvitserk as pertaining to rogues (or anything else WoW related) - even the only comment on the dagger is from a wikipedia article about a norse king's son who lived more than a thousand years ago (and would have absolutely nothing to do with the boss, lore... Anything) - not really linked to anything.
    Meanwhile, EJ has a rogue in their roster from back in TBC atleast named Hvitserk. Seems like (unlike the famous contributors to WoW who got items named after them, such as Landsoul, Frostheim and Zeherah, off the top of my head) he got the item named after him for being guilded with Watcher. Had been scratching my head over what that name was referring to :s.
    You would be surprised just how many in game references there are to personal experiences such as above. I played on the "The Nameless" server from Everquest which is where a handful of developers played. Rob Pardo (Ariel), Tigole, Thaddia, etc.

Goldlily Gleamingfell and NPC in Dalaran on the way to the sewers refers to my guild leader and his wife of a competing guild "Sanctuary". Let's just say they went a little nuts. A lot of the guards in Westfall are named after former players. Grayson, Jango, Deni, Dorana, Gariel, Leick, Korelor, Galiaan, Riell, the drunk Rhapsody (Rhap) Shindigger in Hinterlands and the Orge Mudcrush Durtfeet. Damn Mudcrush used to run around smushing Frogloks! There's hundreds of references if I keep digging.

Here's some of the art which is eerily similar to WoW's style. http://legacyofsteel.net/Gallery/Browse/Thorax%20Art
    Last edited by Tharkkun; 2014-02-11 at 05:56 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mascotte View Post
    Main issue for me would be, can you actually handle the entire process?
    Lets say you helped develop an encounters heroic mode, you spend days on end testing and tweaking it till you have it in a suitable place.
    Then your guild reaches said boss.
    Obviously they need to learn the mechanics and tactics etc.
    Could you deal with 50-100 wipes eventho you know the attempted route is flawed to begin with?

You could tell em the solution, end your misery sure.
    Once that can be called a lucky guess, if it happens more often people might find out who you are.
    And once that cat is out of the bag you can expect your entire server to come bitch and moan about everything ever.

If i was a dev in charge of encounter design i doubt i would raid anything above pugs/lfr.
    They wont say nothing just will see a mistycal hotfix to specific boss where some mechanic get nerfed

Quote Originally Posted by RuneeBH View Post
    "Hes gonna throw a Desecrated Weapon now! everyone move!" is how I see it in my head...like him knowing exactly whats gonna happen before it happens, but in reality I'm sure its not like that. lol, I just like to pretend that they probably have all the boss abilities and timers like, written on a napkin next to their computer and read it off to their raid as its happening.
    Every single player can do that.... ever heard of bigwigs/dbm?
    www.twitch.tv/xchrispottertvx
    Officer in the World First Guild Method.
    We are recruiting any exceptional players who want to play at a World first level.
    www.method.gg
    Currently playing healer (Resto Druid main).

Deleted
    They probably have some nintendo like code shit up up up right A A B left left down down up up A B = BOOM Boss dead

**Tips tinfoil hat and leaves**

Deleted
    I'll just remind everyone of this:

You have Heroic Nefarian on farm, Cho'gall is a two-headed joke, Al'Akir is a bag of hot wind, and you have detailed documents on how all of these encounters could have been improved. If you're looking for the next great challenge, have you ever though about working for Blizzard?

We have Quality Assurance (QA) positions open and we're specifically looking for those with high-end raiding experience to join our teams, test future content, and provide feedback on Heroic raids, class balance, and general game experiences.

http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company...tml?id=100008C

Only full-time positions at our headquarters in Irvine, California are available, so if you're serious about applying be aware that no telecommuting is possible for employment. But with the Blizzard campus offering an on-site cafeteria, library, volleyball and basketball courts, gym, multiple arcades, and movie theater, (not to mention we're 30 minutes from the beach) why would you want to?

Good luck!
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/to...93151?page=1#1

and as for legendary players who changed the game and got items for them.

http://www.wowhead.com/item=50021/al...ves-of-secrecy Best rogue to play the game.

/minchar10 edit
    Last edited by Promdates; 2014-02-13 at 01:14 AM.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gliff View Post
    Ion Hazzikostas (Lead encounter designer) is the RL of a top 50 US25man guild.
    It doesn't surprise me at all.

During ToT when guilds were using the Primordius burn strat, they didnt because he knew it was getting hotfixed the next reset.
    I spoke to Ion myself when I went to Blizzcon in a conversation for a couple hours with him when we were talking about game design, and he confirmed this with me in our convo with me and a few vigil members. We had a blast talking with him, he even gave me an enjoyable convo regarding brewmasters as we both play it regularly together, including gearing advice he gave me as he told me to not listen to the community too much given what I should do as a 10H brewmaster haha. It's how Xyronic put out the information initially when the thread first came up regarding the WoD changes to classes before MMO did.

Gliff is absolutely spot on with what he is saying here for whoever is asking for source about Watcher. We were also talking about guilds he was looking for at the time, and a couple of the other devs at the table were saying the same thing to me at the devs booth during blizzcon. It was definitely interesting to listen to.
    Last edited by Vathral2; 2014-02-13 at 12:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RuneeBH View Post
    "Hes gonna throw a Desecrated Weapon now! everyone move!" is how I see it in my head...like him knowing exactly whats gonna happen before it happens,
    TLDR: Devs are Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by FemaleGoblinMage View Post
    It must be so easy to do it when it is your job. The office will be full of professionals that must test the game in the most excruciating way possible and of course they are going to be serious about it and do it properly.

Not to take anything from them but it's way different from the reality of the actual players. If you are not in the top 50 guilds in the world, at least some members will not be online, at least some will have the girlfriend yelling at them etc.

For anything below those very first ranks of the ladders, it's definitely not just professionals in an office knowing the game inside out.
    wtf r u talking about?? hes not playing it at job obviously....
    what he meant was that he liked the game, and he plays it in his spare time. and he raids in a good 25 man guild

did you really think a guild of 25 blizzard devs have an office for raiding and they do it during their job hours?? wtf my face hurts from the facepalm

I dont know why people who work on the game would want to play it later. Wouldnt that remove some of the 'magic' of the game?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandrox View Post
    I dont know why people who work on the game would want to play it later. Wouldnt that remove some of the 'magic' of the game?
    could say the same for musicians. they listen to their own music as do chefs eat their own food.

If you helped to make a game, why wouldn't you want to play it? to see how it turns out, same as anything else.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eixx View Post
    The other 24 people in the raid still have to get to know the boss aswell remember that.
    And just because the made the boss, dosen't mean they can play flawless on every try.
    Well, or ever. I've never seen evidence that any dev is any good at raiding, except their say so.

Quote Originally Posted by T Man View Post
    could say the same for musicians. they listen to their own music as do chefs eat their own food.

If you helped to make a game, why wouldn't you want to play it? to see how it turns out, same as anything else.
    It depends on the person. For some people, they just can't enjoy what they work on, or at least it lowers their entertainment value.

To be honest I am not really sure they are the same ones who design a boss themselves, if that is the case I would really like a quality improvement in "Secret", heroic only bosses, as they were f*cked up every time they made one. Algalon was cool, but it was a steroid-Patchwerk with Twilight Sparkle having a party, Sinestra was not even remotely cloe being the strongest boss of the tier, she was difficult due to Twilight Cutter being untrackable by boss mods, and Ra-den was screwed up by default, having a phase so difficult that nobody wanted to try doing it, trivializing the fight using a not intended strategy, which ruined the entire encounter.
    So please Blizz, test the bosses yourselve as well, give us a true "Secret" boss!

They don't consider the heroic only bosses to be part of the true progression of the tier. They're more or less a bonus boss. They want them to be secretive in that no one can test it on the PTR and they do some minor in-house testing (assuming on that part). I believe one of the dev's tweeted that raden wasn't supposed to be super hard, as they considered lei shen to be the end boss of the tier with raden being a bonus thunderforged loot boss.

Never expect a heroic only boss to be super difficult. They're always going to be a "congrats, you beat the tier. have some extra loot." type of situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Dracodraco View Post
    If this is true, stuff like http://www.wowhead.com/item=105601 (hvitserk's formidable shanker) makes so much more sense. I'm not a rogue, but a quick search around the net gives me absolutely nothing on Hvitserk as pertaining to rogues (or anything else WoW related) - even the only comment on the dagger is from a wikipedia article about a norse king's son who lived more than a thousand years ago (and would have absolutely nothing to do with the boss, lore... Anything) - not really linked to anything.
    Meanwhile, EJ has a rogue in their roster from back in TBC atleast named Hvitserk. Seems like (unlike the famous contributors to WoW who got items named after them, such as Landsoul, Frostheim and Zeherah, off the top of my head) he got the item named after him for being guilded with Watcher. Had been scratching my head over what that name was referring to :s.
    If you think that's cool, this page will blow your mind.

http://www.nurfed.com/faq/

Go to the second last FAQ.

This thread derailed srs.