Deleted

Need some feedback on our Resto Shaman

Hey guys!

Since several weeks our guild has been raiding Heroic Content (on social basis). With a lot of different raid members (14-15 at the moment and rising) I still tend to see some lack of perfomance at some points. While more raiders are getting heroic gear and higher Itemlevels I can't help myself wonder as a raid leader if everyone is on the level they should be, so here I am. So far we cleared up till Malkorok on heroic and actually brought him to 20% but in order to progress more on him, I really would like to clear the previous bosses a bit faster which is causing problems lately. So today I decided to log in order to seek advice here. What I would like to ask, can some of you shamans with a little bit more depth into this class take a look at this weeks logs? Basicly everytip on gear and rotations/ability usage would be welcome since positive advice will make us better player in the end.

Our Resto Shaman:

Restoration Druid Healer (Ilvl 571) - http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...iocha/advanced
    (Hopes he logs out in his Resto Gear)

World of Logs from earlier this week
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/85tp3xavrftqwjzc/
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/i4etgm33vaygyr82/

Warcraftlogs
    http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/h1y2QbPWzvKVcCAa/
    http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/7hw1zbKc6qQCxTG9/

Points which have my special attention;
    1. Does the shaman needs to step it up or is he doing fine for there current Ilvl from within the logs?
    2. If he needs to step it up, any tips & tops on what I can advice them?
    3. Is his gear enchanted, gemmed & reforged correctly regarding strat priority? If not, what does he need to change?

Any answers and advice is really welcome for us since I think reaching Thok would be a nice goal before the nerf hits...

*His gear is not Resto

1. Depends on the raid
    2. Just some general guide
    Iron Juggernaut: Shaman's time to shine, P1 Healing Rain and Chain Heal spam, P2 separate the cooldowns for the 3 knockbacks
    Recommend:
    1st knockback: Spirit Link Totem for damage reduction before knockback, then use Healing Rain and other abilities to heal the raid to full
    2nd: Healing Tide Totem + Elemental Mastery
    3rd: Ascendance + Spiritwalker's Grace
    Dark Shaman: Mostly dodging skills and dps problem, but the rhythm of the boss is not too suitable for shaman
    Malkorok: not too suitable for restoration shaman, mostly DPS requirement
    Thok: Skill tester, fill in abilities within two roars, keep Healing Rain up
    3. Don't know

I think that overall he's doing fine. Some minor things:

1. I think Jade Spirit is better than Windsong on the weapon.
    2. Ascendance usage is a bit low. For example it can be used on every shock pulse on Iron Juggernat.
    3. I'd go without the riptide glyph for most of the fights, since even without it we can have the hot on 3 ppl, and having it on more is on the expense of casting more powerful spells (but it can be good on Malkorok).
    4. I'd use unleash elements to buff healing rain most of the time.
    5. He can use the totemic recall glyph to actively gain mana and drop more spirit.

I'm surprised you did not notice his bracer enchant.

I'd probably switch the cloak enchant to the int proc one for tailoring, as with that gear his mana shouldn't be a problem at all.

Gemming seems "wierd", as example the chest triple red socket, 2 have orange, 1 has purple. In most blues he puts pure spirit in, then the ring he puts a misty in

As far as other things, he could consider using Ancestral Guidance over Rushing Streams on some fights(As fight comfort and understanding of damage spikes occur, the value of AG just goes up)

Other than that, while his ascendance numbers look low, healing numbers are all about relative to the other healers in the group. I'd almost say I think you should focus more on the disc than the shaman.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaxvriin View Post

I'd probably switch the cloak enchant to the int proc one for tailoring, as with that gear his mana shouldn't be a problem at all.

Gemming seems "wierd", as example the chest triple red socket, 2 have orange, 1 has purple. In most blues he puts pure spirit in, then the ring he puts a misty in

As far as other things, he could consider using Ancestral Guidance over Rushing Streams on some fights(As fight comfort and understanding of damage spikes occur, the value of AG just goes up)

Other than that, while his ascendance numbers look low, healing numbers are all about relative to the other healers in the group. I'd almost say I think you should focus more on the disc than the shaman.
    AG in 10m is very situational imo. As it has a very short range. On fights like Thok or Garrosh where you clump and need burst healing AG is just fine. On Malkorok AG is mostly waste or meter padding.
    Also Rushing streams with the glyph is very nice in 10m since you can almost always have the buff on all players.

Go through your deaths log. Most of your wiping isn't from lack of heals, it's people standing in the bad or executing badly.

Deleted
    First of all, thank you everyone for your input. Appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by CraZyFelix View Post
    *His gear is not Resto

1. Depends on the raid
    2. Just some general guide
    Iron Juggernaut: Shaman's time to shine, P1 Healing Rain and Chain Heal spam, P2 separate the cooldowns for the 3 knockbacks
    Recommend: 1st knockback: Spirit Link Totem for damage reduction before knockback, then use Healing Rain and other abilities to heal the raid to full
    2nd: Healing Tide Totem + Elemental Mastery 3rd: Ascendance + Spiritwalker's Grace
    Dark Shaman: Mostly dodging skills and dps problem, but the rhythm of the boss is not too suitable for shaman
    Malkorok: not too suitable for restoration shaman, mostly DPS requirement
    Thok: Skill tester, fill in abilities within two roars, keep Healing Rain up
    3. Don't know
    Thanks - I'll talk the cooldown usage through with him, he's not the only healer that is currently not using them to there full potention.

Quote Originally Posted by Koor View Post
    I think that overall he's doing fine. Some minor things:

1. I think Jade Spirit is better than Windsong on the weapon.
    2. Ascendance usage is a bit low. For example it can be used on every shock pulse on Iron Juggernat.
    3. I'd go without the riptide glyph for most of the fights, since even without it we can have the hot on 3 ppl, and having it on more is on the expense of casting more powerful spells (but it can be good on Malkorok).
    4. I'd use unleash elements to buff healing rain most of the time.
    5. He can use the totemic recall glyph to actively gain mana and drop more spirit.
    Is it recommandabel to change to riptide glyph for Malkorok for him? And cheers for the Jade Spirit headsup

Quote Originally Posted by Zaxvriin View Post

As far as other things, he could consider using Ancestral Guidance over Rushing Streams on some fights(As fight comfort and understanding of damage spikes occur, the value of AG just goes up). Other than that, while his ascendance numbers look low, healing numbers are all about relative to the other healers in the group. I'd almost say I think you should focus more on the disc than the shaman.
    Yea one of the problems is that he always has 30 to 50% mana left, but he says that lots of shamans have this problem currently (He even did Garrosh Normal 10 the other week with 100% mana at the end of the fight). What way of gemming do you advise for a 10 Man heroic Shaman healer or are there currently different ways of gemming?

The disc priest is indeed one of our weakest healers currently, most lowly geared as well (altho he needs to work on some major things and people already helped me with what exacly he needs to improve on). Compared to the healing our druid is doing , who is lesser geared compared to our shaman I do worry every now and then if he can't be higher on healing.

Quote Originally Posted by Nexii View Post
    Go through your deaths log. Most of your wiping isn't from lack of heals, it's people standing in the bad or executing badly.
    I can't make up in what way you want to go with this but if you read my post carefully, the death causes from Malkorok is not what I ask for since I know these already.
    Last edited by mmoce3b1409363; 2014-02-10 at 09:29 PM.

I'm saying on Iron Juggernaut and Dark Shamans, it's the same thing. You can't heal through people standing in avoidable damage. Your healers aren't that bad and most of those wipes aren't due to their heal throughput. Rather most of those wipes it's because people got instagibbed or died in a window that would be very hard to save them regardless of healer skill.

Anyways as mentioned, I don't see a lot of major things wrong. The gemming/reforging is a bit nonsensical in places though. Generally it's best to forge everything out of Mastery and I see some places where it's Spirit > Crit or Haste, then gemming for pure Spirit. Essentially that's as bad as gemming for Mastery which is overall the weakest stat for most encounters. Bracer enchant should be +180 Int.

Weapon should have Jade Spirit, the Int is better than Haste as it won't put you over BP anyways. Haste can be dropped slightly (~9100) and still be at the HR BP. A bit odd to be using a Hit weapon at this point in the game, as well. Water shield glyph isn't recommended for most fights. As well Telluric Glyph isn't that useful. There's rarely a lot of time to cast LBs in Heroics. Glyph of Heal Stream totem should be taken instead, its a big raid dmg reduction. The third is more situational - I take Capacitor totem on fights with adds, and Chaining on fights that are more spread. Talents look ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartex View Post
    Is it recommand to change to riptide glyph for Malkorok for him?
    I find it useful for Malkorok, but it depends on your strategy. In my raid I'm often standing far from the center and can reach only half the raid, therefore when I'm near the center for a short while, I'm using the glyph to cast riptides on those at the other side while they are in range.

Yea one of the problems is that he always has 30 to 50% mana left, but he says that lots of shamans have this problem currently (He even did Garrosh Normal 10 the other week with 100% mana at the end of the fight).
    But he's gemming spirit -- if he has too much mana at the end he needs to drop more spirit untill he reaches the point in which managing mana becomes non trivial.

What way of gemming do you advise for a 10 Man heroic Shaman healer or are there currently different ways of gemming?
    I personally like mastery/haste, but there are different ways of gemming, many like crit/haste.

The disc priest is indeed one of our weakest healers currently, most lowly geared as well (altho he needs to work on some major things and people already helped me with what exacly he needs to improve on). Compared to the healing our druid is doing , who is lesser geared compared to our shaman I do worry every now and then if he can't be higher on healing.
    Being high or low on the meters isn't a good way to judge healers performance, especially when 3-healing. A much better way is to drop a healer and see which healer combo is able to 2-heal the encounter. A shaman's mastery heals more the lower the target HP is. When 2-healing the average HP drops compared to 3-healing, therefore a shaman becomes stronger.

Malkorok is all about carpet healing, riptide is a good choice, but again, the boss is not too suitable for shaman heal.

Yea one of the problems is that he always has 30 to 50% mana left, but he says that lots of shamans have this problem currently (He even did Garrosh Normal 10 the other week with 100% mana at the end of the fight).

He is gemming spirit and used Darkglow 3, and reforging crit, which all helps regen mana, tell him to either reforge and regem before each boss, to the point which his mana will be close to zero after each fight, or spam Healing Surge when needed to make good use of the excess mana.

What way of gemming do you advise for a 10 Man heroic Shaman healer or are there currently different ways of gemming?

crit and haste should be the best, as haste goes up the mana drains quick, crit helps a bit.

P.S. drop some DK, they are not the strongest dps class in 5.4, SoO is mostly about DPS, a lot of the times 2 heal is enough, 1 good resto shaman is enough for H Siegecrafter and H Garrosh

FYI, if you are worried about fights that are already on farm... you shouldnt be looking at your Shaman... Shamans are good for progression, but once the fight is on farm things become alot harder to a shaman... especially 3 healing...

Quote Originally Posted by Tungzten View Post
    AG in 10m is very situational imo. As it has a very short range. On fights like Thok or Garrosh where you clump and need burst healing AG is just fine. On Malkorok AG is mostly waste or meter padding.
    Also Rushing streams with the glyph is very nice in 10m since you can almost always have the buff on all players.
    Why AG is bad on Malkorok? I actually found it quite useful during the rage part.

How the other two options are any better? Smart heals on this fight are pretty much stupid heals, so rushing streams goes out of the window. And there are no mana issues on this fight as well so conductivity's usefulness is in question already. Furthermore on 10m how many people will HR cover? Doesn't seem like enough to justify its use.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nexii View Post
    yeah i saw this too, healing is still 59% overhealing overall and u still die, your dps needs to move from shit and learn to migrate damage better

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Elios View Post
    FYI, if you are worried about fights that are already on farm... you shouldnt be looking at your Shaman... Shamans are good for progression, but once the fight is on farm things become alot harder to a shaman... especially 3 healing...
    im in 560 gear and i 2 man heal it all on normal its not harder for shamans its easy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by maizensh View Post
    Why AG is bad on Malkorok? I actually found it quite useful during the rage part.

How the other two options are any better? Smart heals on this fight are pretty much stupid heals, so rushing streams goes out of the window. And there are no mana issues on this fight as well so conductivity's usefulness is in question already. Furthermore on 10m how many people will HR cover? Doesn't seem like enough to justify its use.
    In our 10m twink our tank solo soaks bloodrage so AG would be useless there. Don't know how you guys do it. If everyone soaks, then AG is nice.
    For the rest of the fight AG does next to nothing but meter padding as melees generally won't need insane over heal.
    Conductivity is crap anyways so there really isn't much you can do but pick double HST and take benefit of the glyph (10% less magic damage taken) which actually is very nice on most fights.

To add to 3 healing. I solo healed a couple of fights on my shaman alt (560 gs) easily. 3 Healing farm fights and comparing HPS is not very useful.

In our 10m twink our tank solo soaks bloodrage so AG would be useless there.
    AG is great for putting up very quick max level shields to start the fight.

In our 10m twink our tank solo soaks bloodrage so AG would be useless there. Don't know how you guys do it. If everyone soaks, then AG is nice.
    For the rest of the fight AG does next to nothing but meter padding as melees generally won't need insane over heal.
    Conductivity is crap anyways so there really isn't much you can do but pick double HST and take benefit of the glyph (10% less magic damage taken) which actually is very nice on most fights.

To add to 3 healing. I solo healed a couple of fights on my shaman alt (560 gs) easily. 3 Healing farm fights and comparing HPS is not very useful.
    Yeah, after I posted I thought that was your strat In this case AG usefulness is much lower, though it still can be used to top the shields.
    About glyphing HST, all damage in the fight is shadow damage, so I don't think the glyph helps in reducing it, but even if it did only two people would gain the 10% most of the time.

The other option to do rage is for all people who aren't rooted to move (when not enough externals to keep the tank up), in this case AG works like a charm

Quote Originally Posted by Toolt View Post
    yeah i saw this too, healing is still 59% overhealing overall and u still die, your dps needs to move from shit and learn to migrate damage better

- - - Updated - - -

im in 560 gear and i 2 man heal it all on normal its not harder for shamans its easy.
    Well you didnt understand what i was saying and we are not talking about normals here ...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Koor View Post
    I find it useful for Malkorok, but it depends on your strategy. In my raid I'm often standing far from the center and can reach only half the raid, therefore when I'm near the center for a short while, I'm using the glyph to cast riptides on those at the other side while they are in range.

But he's gemming spirit -- if he has too much mana at the end he needs to drop more spirit untill he reaches the point in which managing mana becomes non trivial.

I personally like mastery/haste, but there are different ways of gemming, many like crit/haste.

Being high or low on the meters isn't a good way to judge healers performance, especially when 3-healing. A much better way is to drop a healer and see which healer combo is able to 2-heal the encounter. A shaman's mastery heals more the lower the target HP is. When 2-healing the average HP drops compared to 3-healing, therefore a shaman becomes stronger.
    Quote Originally Posted by CraZyFelix View Post

Malkorok is all about carpet healing, riptide is a good choice, but again, the boss is not too suitable for shaman heal.

He is gemming spirit and used Darkglow 3, and reforging crit, which all helps regen mana, tell him to either reforge and regem before each boss, to the point which his mana will be close to zero after each fight, or spam Healing Surge when needed to make good use of the excess mana.

crit and haste should be the best, as haste goes up the mana drains quick, crit helps a bit.

P.S. drop some DK, they are not the strongest dps class in 5.4, SoO is mostly about DPS, a lot of the times 2 heal is enough, 1 good resto shaman is enough for H Siegecrafter and H Garrosh
    Thank you, Ill discuss the way he is currently gemming in combination to his pool of mana at the end of the fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Toolt View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Agree, I saw this as well during the fight itself. Malkorok is a pure individual but in the end team performance check.
    I am however talking about Heroics (Altho I agree that H Protectors and Shamans could be two healed) and not normal mode.
    Last edited by mmoce3b1409363; 2014-02-12 at 11:18 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartex View Post
    Thank you, Ill discuss the way he is currently gemming in combination to his pool of mana at the end of the fight.

Agree, I saw this as well during the fight itself. Malkorok is a pure individual but in the end team performance check.
    I am however talking about Heroics (Altho I agree that H Protectors and Shamans could be two healed) and not normal mode.
    Every 10 hc fight can be 2 Healed (there is some merit to take an extra heal for juggernaut). Some can actually be solo healed. Especially if you have a resto shami.