Thread: Newegg Bundle?

Newegg Bundle?

Heres the bundle - http://www.newegg.ca/Product/ComboBu...=Combo.1552312

Its for a friend who wants to build something pretty much identical to the parts there. I was checking some stuff on pcpart picker and it said "Some AMD 970 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Vishera CPUs." So i don't really know if thats too important.

But would this be a good bundle to buy?

10+ Year Old Account
    I would definitely veto that system right off the bat due to the Raidmax PSU. While I can guarantee the CPU that system comes with is compatible with the board it comes with..not all 970 boards are compatible with Vishera out of the box.

Also, moving this to the build/upgrade subforum.

...also.. is this the same system/friend from this thread?
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    I would definitely veto that system right off the bat due to the Raidmax PSU. While I can guarantee the CPU that system comes with is compatible with the board it comes with..not all 970 boards are compatible with Vishera out of the box.

Also, moving this to the build/upgrade subforum.

...also.. is this the same system/friend from this thread?
    different friend. And whats wrong with that psu? Also hes on a $800 budget including taxes(canadian)

10+ Year Old Account
    Raidmax is notorious for awful PSU's. It's actually pretty much their only defining trait.

That said... I'd recommend an i3 system over any AMD setup. And of course, building it.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

"Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Just to build on that, the PSU is probably the last thing you want to cheap out on. Its job is to supply power to your entire system, which is full of sensitive electronics that can be easily damaged by a bad power source. Not only that but PSU's are probably the most future proofable (haha probably not a real word) component in your PC. Get a good, reliable PSU and that thing can last you through 6+ years of upgrades.

On a side note Newegg Canada is generally not as good as the US Newegg in terms of competitive pricing. You're better off using websites that do price matching like NCIX and Memory Express, as well as finding the parts you want on the cheap rather than to buy a bundle. Usually large bundles like that have (seemingly) large discounts because they have parts in them that do not sell well individually, but some people only pay attention to the wanted parts and not enough on the unwanted.
    Last edited by ocis; 2014-02-13 at 01:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    R

That said... I'd recommend an i3 system over any AMD setup. And of course, building it.
    Why?

Also the builds suggested by Chaud that are frequently listed on the front page have AMD for the lower two options. In your opinion you think these should be i3?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sublime4o View Post
    Why?
    Because in most cases, the i3 is better?

Also the builds suggested by Chaud that are frequently listed on the front page have AMD for the lower two options. In your opinion you think these should be i3?
    I do think that.

I think it should also be noted that an i3 + Z87 board setup allows an upgrade path to a 4670K. An AMD setup does not allow such.
    Last edited by chazus; 2014-02-13 at 06:45 AM.