Page 1 of 8
... LastLast
    Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account

Has MoP been the golden age of Warlocks?

It's fair to say that there has never been a better time to be a warlock. Prior to MoP (excluding TBC and Classic to a lesser extent), warlocks were the least played class and were nothing notable in PvE, though they were sometimes good at PvP.

Now, I would daresay that warlocks are more popular than rogues, shamans, and the like (of course, my thought here could be wrong). There are three unique specializations, an extremely cool class quest, and DPS/utility/etc. has been at Flavor of the Month levels the entire expansion. There have certainly been some burrs here and there, but it's a great step forward from the days of Wrath of the Lich King and Cataclysm, is it not?

No, vanilla was, there was a time when you simply could not kill a warlock , they would also dot you to death then run around spamming /lawl in your face as you ran around screaming waiting for a quick death...

Deleted
    have you even played BC or wotlk?

Quote Originally Posted by gamgee76 View Post
    No, vanilla was, there was a time when you simply could not kill a warlock , they would also dot you to death then run around spamming /lawl in your face as you ran around screaming waiting for a quick death...

this^^^

I played a lock through vanilla and BC. The class does not seem anywhere near as popular or as powerful as it was back then. PvP more so in Vanilla and PvE in BC if I remember correctly. I plan on using my insta 90 to boost a new lock. I am however worried about the changes that blizz has made to the class.

Statistically, warlocks are still one of the least played classes, just like they've always been. Ignoring that though, I can't comment on PvE, but in PvP I don't think MoP is even close to a golden age. TBC probably was, with SL/SL warlocks being nearly invincible to anything except arms warriors with that annoying stun mace, and rogues with raid gear and glaives. Ever since then they've slowly become less and less self sufficient and aren't that good of a stand alone class compared to many, especially post WotLK, but they're considered good anyway due to having a limited arena niche. However, I'll agree that MoP has done a pretty fantastic job making all the specs unique.
    Last edited by Itisamuh; 2014-02-11 at 05:11 AM.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xerxo View Post
    have you even played BC or wotlk?

WotLK, yes. Not TBC.

10+ Year Old Account
    I loved my lock in vanilla, unstoppable killing machine in pvp. Then I loved pve in bc, haven't played it much since then. Tempted to now with the changes but I can't devote the WoW time that I used to anymore.

Locks were bad until they got deathcoil on 2min cd and wotf got nerfed from a 30 second immunity pop to a cc breaker. After that they have never been bad. Just a pain in the ass to level.
    Last edited by Adp; 2014-02-11 at 05:13 AM.

fear without dr, dots that killed people with one application, vanilla was pure gold. I do like locks as they are now.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Adp View Post
    Just a pain in the ass to level.
    what? I remember leveling an affliction warlock during wotlk and it was absolutely butter smooth, one of the quickest and most engaging leveling i had done to that point

i also remember arena and raiding both during bc and wotlk. pvp wise they've alsways been in a great place, much better than now. last time i was a hardcore raider (sartharion 3d and ulduar hm) warlocks were beasts as well.

I've played mine since BC, and Wrath was the most fun I had. Most powerful was probably BC though. Chaining 3 bloodlusts on Brutalus to the warlock group so we could spam sbolt harder was pretty boring, but powerful.

That said, in terms of actual damage, we've always been on the upper rung.

This is in terms of PvE, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by xerxo View Post
    what? I remember leveling an affliction warlock during wotlk and it was absolutely butter smooth, one of the quickest and most engaging leveling i had done to that point

i also remember arena and raiding both during bc and wotlk. pvp wise they've alsways been in a great place, much better than now. last time i was a hardcore raider (sartharion 3d and ulduar hm) warlocks were beasts as well.
    ^^^ This. Leveling in BC basically consisted of applying 3 dots and fearing the mob. By the time fear wore off and the mob started making its way back to you, all you had to do was loot a pile of corpses.

There's NEVER been a time when Lock DPS was low, with at least one spec being in the top 3. The biggest difference is that Mage has always been OP (more so than Locks), and that created the illusion that Locks were bad then, and awesome now. In reality it's Mages that are not that great today. But Locks continue as OP as they've always been.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by obao98 View Post
    There's NEVER been a time when Lock DPS was low, with at least one spec being in the top 3. The biggest difference is that Mage has always been OP (more so than Locks), and that created the illusion that Locks were bad then, and awesome now. In reality it's Mages that are not that great today. But Locks continue as OP as they've always been.
    Bullshit. Anyone remember Dragon Soul and outside of one or two fights, locks were nothing that spectacular? Remember cata destruction and how you had to jump through loops and hoops just to pull middle of the pack dps, whereas a mage could just literally cast 3 buttons in arcane and deal top damage?

If locks had always been in the top 3 as you put it, we wouldn't have become the least played class in cata. Convoluted rotations, medium tier damage. It was easier to reroll to another class like a mage or a rogue and pull much better numbers without as much effort as it was to play a lock.

I dunno. Personally i miss cata demo. It was my first spec i played in the game and arguably one of the hardest in cata. I still laugh at whenever mages bitch and moan that evocation is such as hard buff to maintain. In cata you had to watch for at least 4 to 5 procs on demo. And no, you had to literally cast them on cooldown, not a moment too late.

In cata the saying was that a warlock could arguably pick up every other class and do well. Every other class couldn't pick up a warlock and do well due to the skill cap.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kagecamia View Post
    Bullshit. Anyone remember Dragon Soul and outside of one or two fights, locks were nothing that spectacular? Remember cata destruction and how you had to jump through loops and hoops just to pull middle of the pack dps, whereas a mage could just literally cast 3 buttons in arcane and deal top damage?
    while i really dont know about cataclysm (havent really played it), i'd subscribe to what he said for all the other expansions. one thing though, that truly pertains to all expansions is the fact that warlocks always had the best looking raiding tier armor sets

15+ Year Old Account
    Golden age? I don't know about that... since Cata my lock just didnt feel the same. I didn't like WotLK either, but it was allright to an extent.
    In PvE they'r allright today, but then again they always were. In PvP anyone can do good, but never as good as a warrior so... ;D It almost feels stupid after all these years of being hard-countered by this shit class that will fuck you sideways with little effort.

I suppose there are people that like it but I just can't stand the new resource systems. The specs don't feel the same. When I came back to my lock it felt like it's a whole different class that missed a lot of spells and had some more useless ones instead.

RIP old Soul Fire, Drain Mana, Siphon Life, Soul Link and dots that actually could kill something...

Been playing since BC and I'd say this expansion is the best they've ever been for PvE. Just out right overpowered relative to other classes just about every tier.

pretty much we've been top on almost every fight for the past few tiers

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetjaguar View Post
    Been playing since BC and I'd say this expansion is the best they've ever been for PvE. Just out right overpowered relative to other classes just about every tier.
    A nerf is needed and somewhat warranted to bring us back in line with the rest of the pack. But I've got a bad feeling in my voidheart that blizz will royally screw up the balancing of our class.

Herald of the Titans PickleballAce's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by obao98 View Post
    Dragon Soul would like a word with you, but other than that we've been pretty good in PvE.