Help Out a new DK Recruit

The woe of a casual guild, a friend of a raider got brought in. He's not like 20k terrible, but he's definitely not up to par with the rest of the group. I know part of it is raid awareness (dies to stupid shit), but I don't know enough about DK's to really critique his gear or play. I have logs and an armory link - with a warforged weapon and a warforged eye he should be pretty competitive I'd think, but he's not up to snuff yet. Any help you guys could give would be appreciated.

Logs:
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/l...kit/details/6/

Amory:
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...%C3%A5s/simple

Thanks again!

***Ignore his over the hit-cap, I'm yelling at him to fix that up as soon as I see him tomorrow.
    Last edited by Nascosto; 2014-02-11 at 07:48 AM.

From what I see from the Sha of Pride encounter is that he used AMS 3 times yet he didnt get any power gains from it. This is ofcourse suboptimal.

You can also look at the more obvious things. Mining has no benefit for a dps player, his Jewelcrafting isnt at 600 yet, and the Fabled Feather of Ji Kun LFR version is terribly old.

Deleted
    By what I can tell from inspecting the raid group is that everyone else is at about 565 item level and your dk 544 and at the time of that raid he might have something like 540 or less. Also he doesn't have legendary cloak like the rest. The difference in gear is enormous.

Can't say anything about the logs since I don't play frost ever. Can't say for sure whether he is any good or not. Just reminding that his gear is actually really terrible compared to the rest of the group and its makes a huge difference.

10+ Year Old Account
    Get him thok's tail tip. Hell, LFR thok's tail tip is servicable. He also needs to replace those ToT and Timeless isle items ASAP.

Also... he seems to be wearing a tanking ring...?
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Deleted
    One other thing I'm noticing is that his Major Glyphs are kinda chosen randomly, I guess...although it really depends on the fights to switch them around, I never use the Loud-Horn one. I just don't really get how that one would be efficient in any way, cuz the normal cd of it just makes more sense to me when again I'm just standing around with no runes or rp, so having that button to push is a little help....but that may just be me.

Other than that, get him a trinket, Thok or Skeers should be alright, help him get rid of any other 502/crap gear he still has and change that tanking ring, how could he not notice that, he even gemmed it and reforged it to crit O.o

And what I can see from the logs, if I'm not completely blind, he didn't use his Execute, Soul Reaper, One. Single. Time. I know, nowadays it doesn't really hit for THAT much, but it's still worth using during the Execute-Phase past 35%.

Just FYI, there is a sticky-thread in this very forum on exactly such topics, problems, etc. -> "Fix My DPS"
    I guess that should be better suited for you in finding the answers you need, as they have all been discussed there at length.
    Last edited by mmoc51c778c914; 2014-02-11 at 11:46 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Malakh View Post
    One other thing I'm noticing is that his Major Glyphs are kinda chosen randomly, I guess...although it really depends on the fights to switch them around, I never use the Loud-Horn one. I just don't really get how that one would be efficient in any way, cuz the normal cd of it just makes more sense to me when again I'm just standing around with no runes or rp, so having that button to push is a little help....but that may just be me.
    The Loud Horn glpyh is one of only three glyphs that can actually increase dps (the other two are the AMS ones). Without it you have to spend 2 GCDs to get 20 RP out of HoW, with it you just need one.

@Malakh
    He used SR a few times, but only a very few times.

@Nascoto
    At first with his current gear its not really possible to get away from all that hit/exp he could switch the gem in his boots but the gain would go absolutely unnoticed, he just need better itemized gear, especially looking at the legs here, while there are other ways to fix that because they have atleast a somewhat high ilvl. Feather lfr is horrible i probably would rather wear relic of xuen/lei shens final orders hc since the heavy nerfs on the trinket since 5.4.
    Tank ring is also a bit meh but the general gear setup needs to be improved anyways.

Additionally there are 2 ways to play a 2h Frost dk the one is using Unholy blight and running a haste/crit build the second is using Plague leech and using a crit/mastery build. He uses Unholy Blight and plays a crit/mastery build which is a considerable dps loss. Either he should play with PL or get haste, his current resource situation is very low and offers very little capacity, no good switches, unfluid play and so on.
    In addition to this he barely uses ams to soak runic power by absorbing magic dmg, which is especially with such low haste levels a really impacting dps loss. If he gets used to soaking i would also recommend glyph of regenrativ magic of anti magic shell but else the glyphs are pretty fine, loud horn is a gain if you actually ams soak and play a talent choice proper build.

Rotationwise:
    Low use of Soul reaper, this alone won't make or break it as it is not that strong to begin with but completely ignoring it is definetly no dps gain.
    Diseases uptime could be a bit higher, its not bad but it could and should be higher than 90%, atleast 95% respectively, if you keep them up properly on a fight like sha/juggernaut/malko you should be about 98%-99%.
    A thing which i see occuring rather often is people playing the dk too "slow" meaning they lose parts of glboabls steadily by pressing the buttons too slow, in his case it could be due to the low haste, no ams soaking and unfitting talent choice which has definetly the major impact, but dks is one of the most spammy classes buttonmashing until the keyboard breaks, pressing the buttons too slow, delaying globals used can indeed be a considerable dps loss. If that is the case for your dk has to be seen as soon as his gear is more fitting his talent choice or the other way around and he uses ams efficiently.