Poll: Why do you have alts?

Thread: Alts - why?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    i like the leveling progress, especially when im questing since there are tons of great story lines amongst many zones.
    i also like the feeling that im playing a different class then im usually playing.

(though lately i been lvling a 2nd hunter, too experience how much had change when i leveled my orginal one in BC)

Deleted
    I have alts for multiple reasons. My priest is my main and I progress on her, but I have a monk, DK, paladin and hunter alt I'm leveling for the purpose of farming mounts. I have a mage, the same monk and the same paladin for pvp.
    I also used to have a warlock and a paladin raidready for whenever my guild required them, but I didn't transfer them along to the realm I went to a few months ago. Currently leveling up new ones.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mainly because I like playing as different classes. When leveling them up I usually just focus on one for a while until I get bored of him then work on someone else and then when I'm in the mood to level up the previous character again I'll go back to him. It would be boring to just play as one character, it gets tiring after a while.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

Initially made alts for more professions to make more gold.. eventually stopped caring about gold, but still liked PvPing and playing on more than one class (initially just druid, then added rogue.. eventually added a warrior to tank with for fun in WotLK.. now I just level alts for fun or I'm bored with main toon outside of raiding. It's easy and I can do other things while levelling, like watch tv, talk to friends, listen to new music I want to check out.. and so on.

10+ Year Old Account
    I play them to see what makes them so unique and how I like their playstyles. That was the original reason at least. Now, I play them for that and so I can figure out strategies on how to counter them / support them.

If you ever think something in this game looks OP in PvP, go play that class and try it out. Odds are that you'll either see that it isn't broken or at the very least, you'll know how to counter it better.

I've tried to watch videos on how to counter certain tactics, but it's meaningless if I forget about it (which oddly enough, isn't something I forget when I play the class. Probably due to seeing how it works in multiple situations.).

used to play a tank, then rolled a healer to play support pvp because it turned out that i liked being in that role.
    Sig by Populaire

I like alts for variety. If I was stuck with only one toon, then I would get bored pretty fast.

I just wanted to try something new. I only have one character I actually gear at any given time. all my other 90's are lucky if they get full TI gear.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like variety. I also RP, so each alt has their own personality and story, and of course once you start writing about them, you need to level them.

Deleted
    I have many alts and I mainly use them for professions, apart from one or two besides my main character. Those are/were used in guild alt runs and got pretty decent gear.

I have alts for nowadays for two reasons: Maxed out professions (As many crafting professions as possible) and also play some other class once in a while, so I don't burn out myself too much on my main. And there are actually lots of classes I truelly enjoy playing, so going on alt runs with the guild is something I truelly like.

Basicly playing as Death knight, warlock and occasionally playing shaman. All of them brings other aspects in the raiding scene.

Stuck with my warlock thou ever since TBC, got the death knight when they introduced in WotLK and finally got shaman & warrior during Cata.

The game gets exceedingly dull for me when playing only one class. Everything from the class mechanics to the visual style of the character get less and less interesting every time I log onto them. By making alts, I can bounce between classes and experience slightly different visual style and game play making the game last longer.

Playing alts also helps (or helped rather) in PVP, since it gave you a better idea of what to expect from classes you'd actually played as.

A fresh start is sometimes nice as well. Occasionally you can start to feel like you've done all the things in game that you enjoy and would rather start over to do those things again rather than grind away at less appealing objectives.

Experiencing the opposite faction's story is also a good incentive.

I level them for fun and if I feel like it I can gear them and do whatever max level content I like. I just like having one of everything. Professions help too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Um, because different classes are different and I enjoy playing more than one class?
    Quote Originally Posted by Novakhoro View Post
    I recommend shoulder surgery immediately... there's no way you didn't fuck it up with how hard you just reached.

I like to be self sufficient plus its great for farming mounts cause it gives me more chances in the week also iam a big fan of transmog and its fun to me finding badass mogs for each class that i have.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumikor View Post
    Well, that's about it. Why do you have alts?
    I just wondering with the reasons, not saying alts are good or bad or whatever. Simple Why.
    I voted 'else' as my "why" isn't all cut and dry. Admittedly, it started out as a methodology to obtain more professions/gathering for farming. However, it eventually became a thirst for knowledge about how other classes work. What makes each class unique.. their individual 'trademarks', such as druid shape-shifting.. how a tank actually.. 'tanks.' etc etc.

It's turned into an appreciation for other classes I might not have otherwise had if I simply stuck with my first toon and made it my 'one and only' (a mage, if anyone is remotely curious.) I understand better now than I ever used to how various CCs work relative to what they can be used on. I get why people like classes such as druid and paladin, for being the jack-of-all-trades type of character. Last, but probably most importantly these days.. alts offer an escape from the level-cap grind. I have become more than a little frustrated trying to decently gear my 6 level 90 characters via dungeons/heroics and LFR. Sometimes, the RNG on drops has been sickening - to the point I'd have punched whoever coded it the way it is (even with this so-called 'bad luck protection' that never seems to kick in for a damn.) Thus, I jumped into alts as a 'breather.' If it weren't for playing alts and enjoying various activities (such as BGs while leveling), I'd probably be a step closer to just quitting than continuing.

#FlightIsImportant

Since beta/day one I will only ever play my hunter. Profession mules were just a necessity to make the quality of life better for my hunter. Contemplated making all of my profession mules hunters.

10+ Year Old Account
    Farming, professions, bank space, mailbox as more space... Having a variety of characters...though they've gotten very little attention compared to my mains so I'm glad they're fictional and don't know.