Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

Which is your favorite 5 man dungeon of each expansion?

Which dungeon stood closest to your heart in each expansion the game had so far? Post-release 5mans included

Vanilla - BRD
    TBC - Shattered Halls
    Wotlk - they were all pretty shit so nothing here
    Cata - Blackrock Caverns pre nerf
    MoP - worse than Wotlk, absolute garbage, nothing worth mentioning

Deleted
    Vanilla - Scarlet Monastery (Original version)
    Burning Crusade - Magister's Terrace
    Wrath of the Lich King - Halls of Reflection
    Cataclysm - Grim Batol
    Mists of Pandaria - Shado Pan Monastery

Gonna chime in with mine :

Vanilla : Zul'farrak
    TBC: Mechanar
    Wotlk : Halls of Lightning
    Cata : Halls of Origination
    MoP: Stormstrout brewery

Vanilla - Scholo, so good. Even managed to solo some of it before BC

Honarable mention to BRS, very ambitious design with the two dungeons on top of each other.

TBC - Shattered Halls was fun with an aoe tank.
    Honarable mention to Magisters Terrace, very well tuned Heroic.

Wotlk - Trial of the Crusader, quick but difficult enough the first couple of times

Cata - End Time

MoP - All way too easy as Heroics. I guess Monastery was tough first few weeks of release.

10+ Year Old Account
    Vanilla: Scarlett Halls
    TBC: Escape from Durnholde Keep
    WotLK: Trial of the Champion
    Cata: End Time
    MoP: Mogu'shan Palace

Most of my favorites are ties. WoW has a lot of awesome dungeons, and it's hard for me to pick just one from each expansion.

Classic - Tie between BRD and Dire Maul (I'm counting all the Dire Maul stuff as one big area). I love those huge instances where you could get lost if you weren't careful. Especially the ones where you had one big area with multiple instances in it or instances with multiple "wings" like Dire Maul, Blackrock Spire, Stratholme, Mauradon, Scarlet Monastery, etc.

Classic WoW is probably the one part of WoW where I have the hardest time picking a single favorite dungeon. I loved all of them. Classic did dungeons better than any expansion, IMO.

BC - Tie between Shadow Labyrinth and Shattered Halls. Magisters Terrace is pretty far up there too. And Mechanar. "ok, we're skipping the fire bitch" was a line you heard quite often in there. She could be pretty rough if you were in an uncoordinated PUG.

Wrath - Tie between Utgarde Keep/Pinnacle and Nexus. Also, hate all you want, but I loved Oculus. A lot of people instantly dropped group when they got there, but that's mostly because so many failed at the vehicle mechanics involved.

Cataclysm - I'd say Vortex Pinnacle, because it looked really awesome. Grim Batol is a close second for the same reason. I know the Dwarves abandoned it long ago, but it still has that awesome "Dwarf City" look to it.

Also, the remade/heroic Deadmines was kinda fun. I think it would've been cool if Vanessa VanCleef hadn't been a Heroic-only boss. Especially now, because players who go through the whole Westfall story will likely skip doing any Cataclysm heroics on their way to Pandaria. Meaning they won't really see any closure to that story since they don't encounter her in the lowbie version of Deadmines.

MoP
    - Didn't really have any dungeons worth mentioning. I'm not an MoP hater at all, but MoP's dungeons were shit. I think Blizzard focused too much on scenarios and not enough on dungeons in MoP. I'm really hoping that trend won't continue in future expansions. Scenarios are a cool idea, but if they're coming at the cost of awesome dungeons, I say do away with them.

Honestly, the only MoP dungeons I enjoyed were the remakes of Scholomance and SM. Gotta love that sexy new voice they gave Jandice Barov. xD
    Last edited by Ciddy; 2014-02-07 at 02:37 PM.

Vanilla: probably Black Fathom Deeps. I remember the first time i tried to do this while leveling up in BC and we didn't even get into the instance because the pally healer couldn't figure out how to dive and swim under the water to get to the entrance. We tried explaining for like 25 minutes but he just couldn't figure it out lol
    TBC: Probably Hellfire Ramparts. I didn't like the aesthetics of the majority of the BC dungeons
    WOTLK: Azjol-Nerub. Quick and fun and who can ever forget the first time they fell down the huge pit!
    Cata: Halls of Origination
    MoP: tie between Temple of the Jade Spirit and Mogu'shan Palace

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Vanilla - Dire Maul

BC - Shadow Labyrinth / Magister's Terrace

WotLK - Maybe Utgarde Keep or The Nexus. Possibly Halls of Lightning.

Cata - Maybe Lost City of the Tol'vir or Vortex Pinnacle.

MoP - Maybe Stormstout Brewery or Temple of the Jade Serpent.

How did we go from fighting nightmarish beings made of pure sound energy to fighting beings made of beer?
    Last edited by Kilperch; 2014-02-06 at 06:27 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Favorite 5-mans Dungeons each expansion?
    Wailing Caverns
    Blackfathom Deeps
    Maraudon
    Scholomance
    Blackrock Depths

Vanilla dungeon design puts all the expansion 5-mans to shame.
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

Vanilla: VC, though there were so many cool ones. And while I recognize the perks of making instances more linear and user-friendly, I enjoyed the more labyrinthine ones (WC, ST, BRD, etc.).
    TBC: Shadow Labs, probably followed by Ramps. MgT was cool when it came out, too.
    Wrath: HoR, I guess? I know I hated the Oculus, not because it was hard, but because it was obnoxious with people who didn't know what they were doing.
    Cata: BRC? Idk. None stand out. The retooling of ZA and ZG was kinda cool, though with the only two in that tier, they got overplayed.
    MoP: MP?

Deleted
    Vanilla - BRD
    TBC - Shattered Halls
    Wotlk - Halls of Reflection
    Cata - War of the Ancients
    MoP - they all suck

It is difficult choosing just one... So I'll cheat and pick more! =D

Classic: BRD, Scholomance, Stratholme. Yeah, I love Scourge theme... And BRD is the best dungeon in the GAME in my opinion. Specially if you were trying to finish all quests in the original self.
    TBC: Shatered Halls, Magister Terrace. Magister was one of the few moments I got goosebumps in the game, specially when you peer through the eyeglass and see the Sunwell... Shatered Halls is just a raw Horde powerhouse, plus Kargath kicks butt!
    Wrath: Halls of Stone, Halls of Lightning, all 3 ICC dungeons. All these dungeons have ramifications to Ulduar and ICC... need I say more?
    Cata: Halls of Origination (love egyptian style), End Time, Well of Eternity. Would have mentioned all 3 HoT dungeons, but scout quests are boring...
    MoP: Now that is a tough one. If you consider Normal and Heroic, none of them are too great. BUT... If you consider doing them in Challenge Mode... Then MoP dungeons are the best in the game! Specially Shado Pan Monastery. Really, completing Gold CMs was one of the best experiences in the entire game!

Deleted
    Vanilla - Deadmines (but tbh I like them ALL)
    TBC - Escape from Durnholde
    Wotlk - Too many to list, I didn't have one clear winner but I loved 80% of them.
    Cata - Lost City of Tol'vir
    MoP - Probably the rehashed SM because the rest were just godawful.

10+ Year Old Account
    Vanilla - Shadowfang Keep, the atmosphere is still very creepy/awesome, sadly no more worgens inside

TBC - Magister's Terrace is the best, super fun bosses; cool loot and a lot of backstory to the whole instance

WoTLK - Utgarde Pinnacle, I really like that you end up near the entrance although you run around through a lot of corridors and stairs; the bosses are fun too, especially the last one

Cata - Grim Batol

MoP - Mogu'shan Palace, really like the architecture...wasn't in the instance since patch 5.2 I think, when we still had to farm valour through dungeons

10+ Year Old Account
    Classic : They were all bad, while good at the time, they are just so horribly bad today.
    TBC: Magister's Terrace, The Botanica.
    WOTLK: Forge Of Souls, Pit Of Saron & Halls Of Reflection.
    Cataclysm: Grim Batol, Halls of Origination , Lost City of the Tol'vir, Blackrock Caverns.
    MOP: Can't think of a single one.
    8700K (5GHz) - Z370 M5 - Mugen 5 - 16GB Tridentz 3200MHz - GTX 1070Ti Strix - NZXT S340E - Dell 24' 1440p (165Hz)

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Vanilla: Original Deadmines got to do it before they introduced the looking for group tool. Close second would be Scholomance.
    TBC: The Underbog.
    Wrath: The Culling of Stratholme. The bronze drake was my first epic flyer.
    Cata: Halls of Origination. Was fun to heal and dps.
    MoP: The Scarlet Halls/Monastery
    Patience is a virtue. I never claimed to be virtuous.

10+ Year Old Account
    vanilla - blackrock depths

tbc - escape from durnholde

wotlk - the culling of stratholme

cataclysm - vell of eternity

mop - can't really say i liked any of them but let's go with siege of niuzao temple

just realised that i am a caverns of time fan haha.
    war does not determine who is right, only who is left.

Classic: Scholo
    BC: Alcatraz
    Wrath: Halls of Reflection
    Cata: Well of Eternity
    MoP: Shado Pan Monastery

Dire Maul North
    Botanica
    Culling of Strat
    Deadmines remix
    Gate, I guess, I agree that the 5-mans weren't very memorable this time around; hopefully they don't just ignore them in favor of Scenarios next time