View Poll Results: What is the probability that the Tinker can be the next class ( IYO)

Voters
1260. This poll is closed
  • 0%

660 52.38%
  • 0-10%

189 15.00%
  • 10-20%

58 4.60%
  • 20-30%

51 4.05%
  • 30-40%

30 2.38%
  • 40-50%

58 4.60%
  • 50-60%

48 3.81%
  • 60-70%

34 2.70%
  • 70-80%

38 3.02%
  • 80-90%

25 1.98%
  • 90-100%

69 5.48%
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    No, because world setting and lore are detached from 'game mechanics'. And classes are thematic concepts adjusted by game mechanics. You assume just because game mechanics limit us, the players, in our interactions with the world of Azeroth, it means our characters would be limited as well if Azeroth were a 'real world' and not a game world.
    Except Azeroth IS a game world, and the only way we interact within the world is via limiting game mechanics. We cannot assume what it would be like if it were living world because that would be nothing more than a baseless assumption. It would also be silly, since blizzard can change the game world at any time.

Sort of like your entire argument.

A few corrections: Iron Horde tech = goblin tech; Naaru tech does not exist. I haven't seen it anywhere in the game or in its lore; Titan tech cannot be comprehended by the mortal races; Azeroth's engineering has magic elements to it; Demonic tech does not exist. Those are all magic constructs.
    The engineering job encompasses all of the Goblin and Gnome of Azeroth.
    Iron Horde tech is quite a bit different than Goblin tech. You'll see how in the next expansion.
    Nauru tech doesn't exist? So the Exodar doesn't exist? You haven't seen the Exodar in game?
    Titan Tech still exists, even if the mortal races don't understand it.
    Demonic tech does exists. Just take a trip to Outland.

Wrong again. What a surprise!

Which made your initial argument completely irrelevant.
    My initial argument was that the Monk trainers came from. Pandaria.

And so do all of the engineers of Azeroth. Gelbin, Blackfuse, Thermaplugg are all engineers with fancy titles.
    They don't have the same abilities. So like the different magic classes you listed, Blackfuse, Gelbin, and Thermaplugg all belong to different technology classes as well. Unless you can provide some abilities they share like the various types of Paladins.

There are many stores that sell beer and all kinds of alcoholic beverages.
    But there's no place in WoW where I can buy a Keg and grant me the ability Keg Smash.

And there were shops that sold bullets and arrows for hunters but were removed when Blizzard decided having to manage bullets and arrows were not a fun mechanic. So, technically, they still exist.
    So once again, lore gets stomped by gameplay and game mechanics. What a shocker.

Above where? Technology is a type of craft. Not as broad at all like magic.
    I listed all the different types of tech. Have a re-read.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Except Azeroth IS a game world, and the only way we interact within the world is via limiting game mechanics. We cannot assume what it would be like if it were living world because that would be nothing more than a baseless assumption. It would also be silly, since blizzard can change the game world at any time.
    Like your arguments?

Azeroth is a world. In that world, engineers create technology wonders. Extraordinary characters that make a name for themselves take on fancy titles. Like the engineer Helix Blackfuse calling himself 'Siegecrafter Blackfuse', or the paladin Uther calling himself 'Uther the Lightbringer', among others.

Iron Horde tech is quite a bit different than Goblin tech. You'll see how in the next expansion. The Blackfuse company goes with Garrosh through the Portal. Gobling technology.
    Nauru tech doesn't exist? So the Exodar doesn't exist? You haven't seen the Exodar in game? Magic. I didn't see a single technology there. All crystals and magic.
    Titan Tech still exists, even if the mortal races don't understand it. Never said it doesn't exist.
    Demonic tech does exists. Just take a trip to Outland. I'll give in to that one.
    Which has been proven wrong because they came from the Wandering Isle.

They don't have the same abilities. So like the different magic classes you listed, Blackfuse, Gelbin, and Thermaplugg all belong to different technology classes as well. Unless you can provide some abilities they share like the various types of Paladins.
    Siegecrafter, mekginner, and the like are just titles. Only you contest that, with some convoluted senseless logic. But you know what? I'll indulge you, if you can create one class for Siegecrafter, one class for a Mekgineer. Don't need to get all fancy with pictures and big explanations. But make those classes different from each other, and of course different from the 'Tinker', since, y'know, by your logic they're not tinkers.

But there's no place in WoW where I can buy a Keg and grant me the ability Keg Smash.
    No beer gives the ability to 'keg smash'. Monks just buy beer so they can 'keg smash'. Beer itself doesn't do that, Monks do. A bullet doesn't shoot itself. It needs a gun to do so.

So once again, lore gets stomped by gameplay and game mechanics. What a shocker.
    Where did it get stomped? The stores are still around. They're just not available to players for simplicity's sake, but they are still there. Or what do you think hunters shoot from their guns and bows? Air? Imaginary ammo?

Which are all handled by the same thing: engineering.
    "Torturing someone is not an evil thing to do if it is done for good reasons" by Varodoc
    "You sit in OG/SW waiting on a Mythic+ queue" by Altmer <- Oh, the pearls in this forum...
    "They sort of did this Dragonriding, which ushered in the Dracthyr race." by Teriz <- the BS some people reach for their narratives...

10+ Year Old Account

Sort of like your entire argument.

Iron Horde tech is quite a bit different than Goblin tech. You'll see how in the next expansion.
    Nauru tech doesn't exist? So the Exodar doesn't exist? You haven't seen the Exodar in game?
    Titan Tech still exists, even if the mortal races don't understand it.
    Demonic tech does exists. Just take a trip to Outland.

Wrong again. What a surprise!

Ah, I have to change it a bit there on some of the tech. Just because it's a dear subject of mine, "Naaru-Tech" is changed to general "Crystal-tech" due to the fact that the Draenei use it, as well as the Blood Elves who had it before they got a hold on a Naaru. Though, really, Tinker is just hidden under various names at most but in the end, the same thing.

A core of the tinkers union, was to explore all the techs that they could find but some they dared not to. In this example, the Mo'arg/Gan'arg (The tech of the same as the Fel Reaver). As well, the Goblins and Gnomes find themselves unable to be attuned for the Crystal-tech (Naaru-tech) as their minds does not seem to be able to calculate a full reason of it. While the Blood Elves and Draenei are able to see connections of energy waves within this tech, putting them more in their hands. You could easily have build ups, though we all know that it is the Goblin and Gnome techs that has generated the most popular factors and will still be.

A Tinker is not a profession like Engineering, Engineers offer their service and semi-constructs to use. While a Tinker offer their knowledge, equipment and setup to the fight. A quick example is Blackfuse, kicking ass in his modified Shredder unit. You as a Tinker would use a lot of time to overall setup and select your specializing to fit your task, building your tools after so as well as bot assistance most likely.

A Tinker would also finally mean that Blizzard would use old designs that has gone lost, or has no use. The things on the top of my head is...
    • "Fear Grenades" - [Not the actual name]A type of grenade offered via a quest once located in the Badlands (Back then, only worked on beasts, but was good Vs. Hunters)
    • "Frost Grenades" - [Not the actual name] A grenade highly used in TBC, offering as your "Oh shit" button as you play in a PvP server, throwing this, freezing the target just like a Frost Nova.
    • "Turrets" - I have not checked my list for a while, but we used to (dunno if still) to have a Fire Turret, offering good assistance within the fight.
    • "Bots" - In this case, we only have had the loss 1 one bots use. The Alarm-O-bot, this unit was once very useful as it was able to detact and call out on stealthers back in the days, offering you a more secure situation Vs. Rogues/Druids.

And I am sure there's still a core of items that could have gotten further use instead of just being there on the list, and never more used.

As well, was an old idea we talked about in a previous thread you had, Teriz. Their weapon, should be that of a modified basic weapon, that I think a good idea would be if the class itself modified the basic weapon to fit their specc. Of course, the basic weapon could be upgraded via loot table, and then you apply modifications to fit your specc.

Tech Guide List:
    "Naaru-Tech" = "Crystal-Tech" (used by the Draenei and Blood Elves)
    Goblin-Tech = Used by the Goblins and Orcs generally, as well as a few Gnomes.
    Gnomish-Tech = Used by the Gnomes and a few humans, dwarves has tweaked it a little with the goblin side.
    "Demon-Tech" = "Fel Engineering" maybe? Used by the Mo'arg/Gan'arg, created Fel firing canons, the Fel Reaver and more.
    "Titan-Tech" = A state of technological progress seeming of artifacts, mixed with machinery - many has problems understanding it, but still studying.
    Iron Horde-Tech = [Could be seen as a Sub-version of Goblin tech] A brutal new design, created by twisting Goblin Tech into a new setup. Running with Blackfuse's Engine as it's background, this holds much purpose and ideas to be constructed from.
    Last edited by Lochton; 2014-02-21 at 08:50 AM.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    Azeroth is a world. In that world, engineers create technology wonders. Extraordinary characters that make a name for themselves take on fancy titles. Like the engineer Helix Blackfuse calling himself 'Siegecrafter Blackfuse', or the paladin Uther calling himself 'Uther the Lightbringer', among others.
    The point is that the Engineering profession does not properly cover the technology throughout the gameorld.

Siegecrafter, mekginner, and the like are just titles. Only you contest that, with some convoluted senseless logic.
    How is the logic senseless when its backed by evidence? Again, it's the abilities that make Spellcasters different. What separates the Mage and Priest since they both use magic? It's the fact that Mages have abilities based around fire, frost! and Arcane, while Priests have abilities based around Holy and Shadow.

Why should it be any different for technology? Especially when there are different types of technology in WoW.

No beer gives the ability to 'keg smash'. Monks just buy beer so they can 'keg smash'. Beer itself doesn't do that, Monks do. A bullet doesn't shoot itself. It needs a gun to do so.
    Again, you're putting a stupid amount of logic into an illogical concept. Its a game mechanic, nothing more, nothing less. The lore behind it doesn't make sense, because the lore is twisted for gameplay purposes. By your logic a Monk would be an alchemist crafting brews and potions for battle. However, the game mechanics don't work that way. The Monk class just conjures bottles of various drinks in battle. Just like a technology class would conjure machines for combat purposes.

Which are all handled by the same thing: engineering.
    The only thing available to players is the Engineering profession. It doesn't cover anything.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    "Naaru-Tech" = "Crystal-Tech" (used by the Draenei and Blood Elves)
    Goblin-Tech = Used by the Goblins and Orcs generally, as well as a few Gnomes.
    Gnomish-Tech = Used by the Gnomes and a few humans, dwarves has tweaked it a little with the goblin side.
    "Demon-Tech" = "Fel Engineering" maybe? Used by the Mo'arg/Gan'arg, created Fel firing canons, the Fel Reaver and more.
    "Titan-Tech" = A state of technological progress seeming of artifacts, mixed with machinery - many has problems understanding it, but still studying.
    Iron Horde-Tech = [Could be seen as a Sub-version of Goblin tech] A brutal new design, created by twisting Goblin Tech into a new setup. Running with Blackfuse's Engine as it's background, this holds much purpose and ideas to be constructed from.
    Thanks for the more accurate tech list Gehco. Much appreciated, as was the rest of your post.

I don't think you guys are talking about the same thing.

Ielenia is talking about lore. Where s/he is correct that Engineering is the basis for all of technology in WoW.

Teriz is talking about gameplay. Where s/he is correct that Engineering profession doesn't cover all tech in WoW.

I think where Ielenia is being disingenuous and intellectually dishonest is the way s/he's been switching between lore and gameplay throughout their discussion. You can't have it both ways Ielenia. Either you're making an argument for lore, or you're making an argument for gameplay. You can't say that the Engineering profession is the same as what the Tinker hero did, because clearly that's not the case.

Both the Engineering profession and the Tinker hero are performing engineering. However, the Engineering profession, and a Tinker class aren't the same thing. I think Drilnos made a similar point, but Ielenia ignored the entire post.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhamses View Post
    I don't think you guys are talking about the same thing.

Ielenia is talking about lore. Where s/he is correct that Engineering is the basis for all of technology in WoW.

Teriz is talking about gameplay. Where s/he is correct that Engineering profession doesn't cover all tech in WoW.

I think where Ielenia is being disingenuous and intellectually dishonest is the way s/he's been switching between lore and gameplay throughout their discussion. You can't have it both ways Ielenia. Either you're making an argument for lore, or you're making an argument for gameplay. You can't say that the Engineering profession is the same as what the Tinker hero did, because clearly that's not the case.

Both the Engineering profession and the Tinker hero are performing engineering. However, the Engineering profession, and a Tinker class aren't the same thing. I think Drilnos made a similar point, but Ielenia ignored the entire post.
    I did. Engineering as a lore concept and engineering the profession are entirely different concepts. The first encapsulates everything engineering can do in the Warcraft universe. The second encapsulates everything engineering can do within the World of Warcraft gameplay construct known as the profession system. The profession system has limits because it is a part of a game, which is defined by limits. This means that not only does the engineering profession represent a -tiny- subset of the engineering lore concept, it is also impossible to make it represent more than that tiny subset. The schematics we can learn now are a fraction of the potential of that fraction. A Tinker class would be the engineering lore concept viewed through a different gameplay construct, the class system, and because the class system has different rules and limits it would, by definition, encapsulate a different subset of the lore concept than the profession system can.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    None of that is useful for combat. Again, at level 90, I couldn't kill a level 84 Glade Porcupine with the strongest bomb in the game.
    I think you're missing their point. Which is that a lot of what you want a Tinker to do can be achieved - thematically at least - as an engineer. What thematic difference is there between a Hunter who uses guns and can access grenades through Engineering and a Tinker who uses guns and grenades?

At the same time....there is a difference. A tech class would be built around the use and depiction of technology.

EJL

I'd definitely dig a Tinker class, granted I want Demon Hunter more, but I think that Tinkers are more probable when it comes to fitting the necessary slots. Mail Armor-Check, Ranged Weapons-Check, and the ability to play any role-Check. I'm just wondering what weapon types other than guns they would be able to use, especially in relation to healing specs. Bottom line though, I'd play the hell out of a Goblin and Gnome Tinker. I'm just not sure which class Blizzard will implement next. Hell, it could be something other than a Tinker or Demon Hunter.

10+ Year Old Account
    I went with 20 - 30%, though in all honesty, the Engineering profession isn't reason enough for Tinker to not become a class. I don't see why this couldn't become a thing, or how it couldn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by Talen View Post
    I think you're missing their point. Which is that a lot of what you want a Tinker to do can be achieved - thematically at least - as an engineer. What thematic difference is there between a Hunter who uses guns and can access grenades through Engineering and a Tinker who uses guns and grenades?

At the same time....there is a difference. A tech class would be built around the use and depiction of technology.

EJL
    Usage of animal companions, tracker/survivalist motifs, and so forth. His abilities, quests, trainers, gear and so forth all evoke the hunter. A hunter with engineering is still a hunter. He still does hunter things. He can't stop doing those things and continue to be effective. But he can give up the guns and grenades any time he wants with no drawbacks.

Thematically one can pretend to be a tinker all they want. I do. But at the end of the day, the themes that define a character, at his core, are not things that can be dropped for Leatherworking with no repercussions. It is a piss poor sort of gadgeteer genius who can up and decide to give up being a gadgeteer genius and continue on as if nothing happened.

In short, a profession is what characters do. A class is what characters are. In terms of theme, they're a world apart, and no amount of RP is a substitute.
    Last edited by Drilnos; 2014-02-21 at 04:37 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The point is that the Engineering profession does not properly cover the technology throughout the gameorld.
    It does.

How is the logic senseless when its backed by evidence?
    What evidence? Titles are evidence of nothing, other than status, not class.
    Again, it's the abilities that make Spellcasters different. What separates the Mage and Priest since they both use magic?
    Priests = Holy magic; Mages = Arcane/fire/frost magic; Therefore Priests =/= Mages.
    Engineering = Goblin/Gnome tech; Helix Blackfuse = Goblin tech; Therefore Engineering = Blackfuse.

Again, you're putting a stupid amount of logic into an illogical concept.
    There is nothing illogical about smashing someone's head with a bottle or keg of beer. It just doesn't make sense to you.

By your logic a Monk would be an alchemist crafting brews and potions for battle.
    It has already been proven to you that knowing how to make one or two recipes at a distillery does not enable me to create every recipe in the world. I know how to make lasagna in the oven. It doesn't mean I know how to make Beef Wellington or a Spanish Paella.

The only thing available to players is the Engineering profession. It doesn't cover anything.
    It does. You just refuse to see it because you're again arguing game mechanics and demanding 'very specific examples' to try to fight back.
    Last edited by Ielenia; 2014-02-21 at 05:21 PM.
    "Torturing someone is not an evil thing to do if it is done for good reasons" by Varodoc
    "You sit in OG/SW waiting on a Mythic+ queue" by Altmer <- Oh, the pearls in this forum...
    "They sort of did this Dragonriding, which ushered in the Dracthyr race." by Teriz <- the BS some people reach for their narratives...

Priests = Holy magic; Mages = Arcane/fire/frost magic; Therefore Priests =/= Mages.
    Engineering = Goblin/Gnome tech; Helix Blackfuse = Goblin tech; Therefore Engineering = Blackfuse.
    There's that intellectual dishonesty again. You're purposely conflating lore and game mechanics. The profession and the general ability to use technology aren't the same thing, and you know they aren't the same thing.

It's a very poor way to debate.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's that intellectual dishonesty again. You're purposely conflating lore and game mechanics. The profession and the general ability to use technology aren't the same thing, and you know they aren't the same thing.

It's a very poor way to debate.
    I'm not arguing game mechanics. Helix Blackfuse built those weapons of war for Garrosh. He wouldn't be able to do that if he wasn't an engineer. Anyone can use technological gadgets with varying degrees of success, but only an enginner can craft tech gadgets. And those weapons of war were built by Helix Blackfuse.

I'm not arguing game mechanics. Helix Blackfuse built those weapons of war for Garrosh. He wouldn't be able to do that if he wasn't an engineer. Anyone can use technological gadgets with varying degrees of success, but only an enginner can craft tech gadgets. And those weapons of war were built by Helix Blackfuse.
    Okay, but you do understand that the profession is NOT the lore engineering you're talking about right?

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drilnos View Post
    Usage of animal companions, tracker/survivalist motifs, and so forth. His abilities, quests, trainers, gear and so forth all evoke the hunter. A hunter with engineering is still a hunter. He still does hunter things. He can't stop doing those things and continue to be effective. But he can give up the guns and grenades any time he wants with no drawbacks.
    And if he wants to, he can shoot a gun and lob grenades. Leaving aside feel and viability, there simply is not a lot of difference.

But the argument you present is why this debate is pointless. A tech class would be built around tech.

EJL

10+ Year Old Account
    Okay, but you do understand that the profession is NOT the lore engineering you're talking about right?
    Yes. The engineering available to players is just a 'watered down' part of the Engineering job. As I understand it the in-game 'professions' being more like 'hobbies' to the player characters while their actual jobs being their classes.

Just because both use technology doesn't mean they share the same theme. Again, its like saying that Mages and Priest have the same theme because they both use magic.
    So you're suggesting that because different types of Technology as different as Mages and Priests, Engineering and Tech Class can exist. Yet when you put it that way, it also means multiple Technology Classes can exist because they're different like Mages and Priests. You just ran into another logical fallacy there.

The more you come up with bullshit analogies, the deeper the hole you're digging for your argument. You can't escape the fact that Engineering uses Technology, and a Technology-based class is inescapable from that theme.

Yes. The engineering available to players is just a 'watered down' part of the Engineering job. As I understand it the in-game 'professions' being more like 'hobbies' to the player characters while their actual jobs being their classes.
    Alright. So doesn't that leave space for a technology class, since the Engineering profession is just a hobby, and is only representing a small part of engineering lore?

10+ Year Old Account
    Alright. So doesn't that leave space for a technology class, since the Engineering profession is just a hobby, and is only representing a small part of engineering lore?
    The issue that comes with that are players who will start to argue 'why can't I do that since I'm an engineer too'.

The 'Engineer' was originally a class in WoW classic pre-launch, but it was turned into a profession due to everyone wanting to do what engineering does.

Quote Originally Posted by Thimagryn View Post
    So you're suggesting that because different types of Technology as different as Mages and Priests, Engineering and Tech Class can exist. Yet when you put it that way, it also means multiple Technology Classes can exist because they're different like Mages and Priests. You just ran into another logical fallacy there.

The more you come up with bullshit analogies, the deeper the hole you're digging for your argument. You can't escape the fact that Engineering uses Technology, and a Technology-based class is inescapable from that theme.
    What, exactly, is logically fallacious about that? Tinkers are not the only tech class. They're the only ones that people are pulling for because they're the most iconic. Besides the goblin and gnome branches there are branches for Naaru, Ethereal, Demon, Scourge, and Titan engineering, along with flavors corresponding to every available race, including the ones generally associated with nature. Then again, if you combine all of the combat styles associated with engineering in the lore, you've got something like nine or ten specs worth of material. Everything from gunslingers, mech pilots and airmen on down through sappers, apothecaries and artillerymen. Do they all have the "technology" theme? Yes. Is the technology theme broad enough to contain several classes? Also yes.

But again, nobody's asking for four or five tech classes. One would be nice.