10+ Year Old Account

Need Help With My Mic

So today I bought some cheap headphones to replace my old ones that were barely working. These new headphones came with a built in microphone as well. The problem I have is I use my built in laptop mic to talk on mumble but now whenever my headphones are plugged in the computer uses the mic attached to the headphones. This is an issue because no one can hear me when I speak with the headphone mic.

I've tried going into the control panel to set the laptop mic as default but I think it considers the laptop and headphone mics as the same. If anyone has any tips on how I can use my headphones while still using my laptop mic I'd definitely appreciate it.

You went into the control panel and set the laptop mic as default, but what is mumble set to? Check the sound levels too.

10+ Year Old Account
    What connections does your headset use? (I'm guessing USB since you would have I assume thought of not plugging in the mic jack otherwise(usually pink))
    I'd just go into mumble and set the device to the onboard mic. Additionally you can in "recording settings" in the windows sound options disable any devices you don't wish to use.