10+ Year Old Account

how will broadband caps affect me?

so i am a time warner cable customer. if we are indeed going to be getting broadband caps how will it affect me? i mostly just play wow for about 20-30 hours a week and occasionally have 3-4 tabs open at once. i also watch youtube quite a bit. wasnt sure if this should go in computer forums or general off topic.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    That depends on the cap. Do you know if there will be, and what it will be?
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    well in the article i read here:http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-576...s-for-you-faq/
    it says there will indeed be caps. it doesnt say what the size will be though. i was wondering if anyone knew what comcasts caps are or where i could find that info and how it will affect my internet browsing. i also have 2 other family members on the same plan.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Welcome to Australian Broadband fellow travelers.

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    Welcome to Australian Broadband fellow travelers.
    And Canada lol
    Intel i5 6600k - Gigabyte Z170X-UD3 - Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4 @ 2400Mhz - Asus Strix GTX 1080 - Asus PG279Q - Samsung Evo 850 500GB SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    Broadband and "caps" does not compute in this day and age.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

It makes me wonder how much money I have to throw at Google to speed up their Fiber project.

10+ Year Old Account
    Playing wow itself doesn't eat up much at all, but youtubing regularly and such will add up a bit.

Based on your description I'd say 30-50 gigs a month would be absolutely plenty. I think it'd be best to start somewhere that sounds good, check your usage after a month and decide whether you need more/less. On a 100MBit fibre connection I tend to chew through about 200-250 gigs a month with a 300 gig cap, mostly due to downloading lots of anime.

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post

I believe its a reference to Comcast wanting to buy Time Warner in which case the cap would be 250GB
    | Intel i5-4670k | Asus Z87-Pro | Xigmatek Dark Knight | Kingston HyperX Fury White 16GB | Sapphire R9 270x | Crucial MX300 750GB | WD 500GB Black | WD 1TB Blue | Cooler Master Haf-X | Corsair AX1200 | Dell 2412m | Ducky Shine 3 | Logitech G13 | Sennheiser HD598 | Mionix Naos 8200 |

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryanator1989 View Post
    And Eastern Canada and Telusland lol
    That's what you get for putting public communications infrastructure in the hands of private corporations.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    That's what you get for putting public communications infrastructure in the hands of private corporations.
    If you're not using Shaw you're just not winning at all. They don't even give a fuck about monthly limits unless you're absolutely annihilating them on a regular basis lol.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    If you're not using Shaw you're just not winning at all. They don't even give a fuck about monthly limits unless you're absolutely annihilating them on a regular basis lol.
    Shaw Schmaw. Sasktel has fibre rolling out and caps don't exist, with mostly comparable pricing and superior upstream speeds.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Shaw Schmaw. Sasktel has fibre rolling out and caps don't exist, with mostly comparable pricing and superior upstream speeds.
    Yeah but, you have to live in Saskatchewan So there's the drawback!

I still just have 25/2.5 from Shaw anyway, I don't see a point in getting more bandwidth...how fast do I need to torrent movies exactly?

10+ Year Old Account
    comcast hasn't enforced their data cap in a long time, i've been averaging ~600GB on a residential account for the last 6 months, they are however testing a new system in certain areas that autocharges you $10 per 50GB block after exceeding 300GB

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    Yeah but, you have to live in Saskatchewan So there's the drawback!

I still just have 25/2.5 from Shaw anyway, I don't see a point in getting more bandwidth...how fast do I need to torrent movies exactly?
    This fast?
    http://i.imgur.com/09q1as0.png

It's really close to unlimited if you download on an SSD though, HDD's are slow.

I had a cap of 250 years ago with AT&T. My wife stays at home all day everyday with her favorite source of entertainment being youtube. I play lots of multiplayer games. We'd sit around the 200-250 mark. going over is just $10 more for another 50 GB and we never hit 300 even when new MMO's launched with 30GB downloads.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommys View Post
    I had a cap of 250 years ago with AT&T. My wife stays at home all day everyday with her favorite source of entertainment being youtube. I play lots of multiplayer games. We'd sit around the 200-250 mark. going over is just $10 more for another 50 GB and we never hit 300 even when new MMO's launched with 30GB downloads.
    What? We didn't have Internet 250 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Vargur View Post
    This fast?
    http://i.imgur.com/09q1as0.png

It's really close to unlimited if you download on an SSD though, HDD's are slow.
    idk it's fast enough at 2.5MB/s that I can get most things in the time it takes to make a snack or poop.

at first I thought that was somehow a screenshot of my utorrent cuz I watched that episode last night lol

I have a 300gb cap with Cable One. Last I checked I was at like 254.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargur View Post
    What? We didn't have Internet 250 years ago.
    he had a 250GB data cap, when he had AT&T, which was 1 or more years in the past