Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

A Better World of Warcraft

I'm prepared for any flaming/constructive criticism this may induce, but I'd like to see it, I think it could be cool.

I. Make some classic level 60 servers
    A. Grand Marshal/PvP server where you can do PvP and have the possibility of getting your grand marshal title.
    1. Level 1-60
    2. Option to move on to TBC realm list after obtaining a certain title in PvP
    3. Option to get Grand Marshal title in PvP then move on to TBC realm list or continue PvPing
    B. Dungeon 1 Realm
    1. Level 1-60 and obtain your Dungeon 1 set, then move on to realm list C
    C. Tier 1 Realm
    1. Level 1-60, Defeat ragnaros and obtain your Tier 1 set then you may move to realm list D
    D. Tier 2 Realm
    1. Defeat Nefarian and Onyxia and obtain your Tier 2 set then you may move on to realm list E
    E. Tier 2.5 realm
    1. Defeat C'Thun and obtain your Tier 2.5 set then you may move on to realm list F (may also obtain your scarab lord title during scheduled event times, scheduled by blizzard)
    F. Tier 3 realm
    1. Defeat Kel'Thuzad and obtain your Tier 3 set then you may move on to TBC realm lists.

II. Make some The Burning Crusade 70 Realms
    A. Arena Realm
    1. Level 60-70. Seasons 1, 2, 3, and 4 rotate in a cycle (obtain season 1, 2, 3, or 4 set through honor [whichever one the cycle is on at the time] to unlock arenas) (stats changed on gear to accommodate current season cycle) you may move on to WotLK servers once you've completed all 4 seasons or stay to achieve gladiator for 1, or all seasons.

SKIPPING REPETIVENESS

IV.
    A. RBG realm level 80-85. Seasons 9, 10, and 11 rotate in a cycle yada yada yada...

I personally think this would be really cool.
    You could go back and experience the game, new players included!
    If you made it to MoP you would be experienced with raiding or PvP
    It would refresh the game and give you a whole lot more to do, they could even put new aspects into the old parts of the game (keep all damage/talents/etc but give new features) they could put world firsts in old dungeons/raids by using best time measures like challenge modes and you could save your character after moving onto each realm/expansion so you could go back and do pvp or raid to get a better time on the old version of your character and you couldn't group with anyone who doesn't have the achievement so you couldn't just get carried, it would work in PvP too, 2200+ can't go with a 1500 player for instance (they could make pvp achievements expansion wide, could really suck trying to find another 2700 in 3's player on the same season) all of the old content is there as well so there wouldn't be a big rush to when you needed to get something done
    Special snow flakes are now not exclusive, but now they really show dedication
    Updated race models in old expansions
    They could even define professions a lot more and make a server where your goal was to collect matts/make gear/enchant it/sell it/get your gold cap/etc... and have less of an emphasise on gold (there goes the gold farming market as well) and more on downing bosses/killing people
    You would have every expansion to work on and focus if you wanted to, so Blizzard could go slower and make better quality patches for their max-level zones/pvp/leveling
    I know it would take a lot of work to re-code all of that, but I would much rather see this than a new expansion, maybe after WoD or something?
    Of course I can see frustration coming from people with max-level characters
    1. People with max-level toons start out at level 60, and you get a level 30 of each class you had maxxed before after the level 60
    2. People with all 600 (675 in WoD I'm assuming) professions can get a head start on their professions on the gold-making server
    3. People with like 100 million gold can get a head start on gold on the gold-making server
    All mounts/pets bought from blizzard store would still be usable
    You could even have the option to switch races/gender/faction/look every time you went to a new expansion (all-human cataclysm pvp servers you say?)

I'd be happy to hear what anyone has to say... Like I said, I would love to see this happen...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DreadNeos View Post
    You could go back and experience the game, new players included!
    What if we don't want to? I've played classic WoW on a private server. No thanks

If you made it to MoP you would be experienced with raiding or PvP
    No you wouldn't. You don't need to have played through classic or TBC to be someone skilled or experienced at raiding. All you need is the current tier, a patient raid team, and the natural skills necessary: spacial awareness, reflexes, and the ability to work in team.

All I see this being is a way for nostalgic players to sate themselves for a month or two.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I thought this was going to be another generic classic servers suggestion, which I would get behind (ignoring all the problems it would create and assuming they get zero development time after implementation and only in a vacuum). But to see that you have to progress through server types by beating content, which would leave players stranded all over the place and pretty much emphasize all of the flaws that organized group content has...yeah...no thanks. That would be the worst form of WoW ever created.
    BAD WOLF

I agree with Darsithis. This isn't a "Fix to Wow" but just another "nostalgia getting the best of your memories thread". Having played through classic...there is no way I'd rather be stuck with only that content again.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is one of the worst ideas I have ever seen. And that is saying something.
    MMO player
    WoW: 2006-2020 || EvE: 2013-2020 // 2023- || FFXIV: 2020- || Lost Ark: 2022-

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    I thought this was going to be another generic classic servers suggestion, which I would get behind (ignoring all the problems it would create and assuming they get zero development time after implementation and only in a vacuum). But to see that you have to progress through server types by beating content, which would leave players stranded all over the place and pretty much emphasize all of the flaws that organized group content has...yeah...no thanks. That would be the worst form of WoW ever created.
    That's a point I should have pointed out as well. The worst thing you could do to group content is force segregation again so that we're back in an age of guild poaching. Nothing would be worse than an excellent player stuck on an "earlier" server because everyone else has moved on and not enough new people are arriving to keep it flowing.

Why have "multiple" realms where you defeat a raid boss then move to another realm that would just fracture any sense of community.

I see two options

A) leave it as it is games move forwards.
    B) Create a special server where you can level up to 90 still but between levels 1-60 you have the same shitty setups and talents as vanilla and your character stays locked at 60 until you beat KT. Once done you can level 60-70 and have to beat KJ to unlock 70-80 and so forth until you hit mop.

I prefer A) vastly so.

<snip>huge op post</snip>
    In what way does this make wow better? Vanilla had its good points...and it's bad points. But current WoW is overall an improved version. You may not like it, which is fine. You may prefer the bug ridden simplistic Vanilla wow. But bringing up "classic" servers does nothing to improve wow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elrandir View Post
    My starfall brings all the mobs to the yard.
    Laurellen - Druid Smiteyou - lol holy dps

Everquest does something similar to this.

Periodically they open up "progression servers" and they are fairly low pop but generally well received, however they generally go dead after Planes of Power has been beaten. It was after Planes of Power that EQ began to suck. It's all on 1 server though and the guilds who play on these realms are competing for server first kills - after the boss dies and a sufficient amount of time has passed there is a community vote in-game to decide if the server will unlock the next expansion of content.

I imagine a similar situation would happen in WoW - They'd be popular up until, say, Black Temple, and then the servers would be dead. I also imagine that someday WoW will do this, towards the end of its life, when WoW is actually a dead game like Everquest is currently.

I don't think its a bad idea, really, and I'd play it. You'd probably see large spikes in population on these sorts of realms when there is a lull in content like there is now. It would take time to make, and, as they say in Orgrimmar "time is money, friends" so I'm sure a lot of people would disagree, but, I'd gladly "lose a raid tier" for the sake of a classic realm or two. Running BRD with 5-6 of my friends sounds infinitely more appealing than anything this game currently has to offer us. Oh well, maybe in 10 years when only 300k people play the game and its largely supported by bots like EQ.
    Last edited by crunk; 2014-02-18 at 03:07 PM.

I know it would take a lot of work to re-code all of that, but I would much rather see this than a new expansion, maybe after WoD or something?
    No, just no. What a waste of development time.

"Hey instead of progressing the story and spending our time creating new environments, bosses and lore let's revamp character progression so people have to start at classic and kill all these bosses again. Why? Fuck you that's why!"

I do have to ask. What about the vast majority that are not interested in playing a crappier version of WoW suppose to do? Sit on whatever the current content is for a year to year and a half longer than what they normally would have to?

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    That's a point I should have pointed out as well. The worst thing you could do to group content is force segregation again so that we're back in an age of guild poaching. Nothing would be worse than an excellent player stuck on an "earlier" server because everyone else has moved on and not enough new people are arriving to keep it flowing.
    I mean it would be even worse than it was in TBC because there would be no way to 'go back' and help those people get 'attuned' to the next level. Assuming for a test case that there are even enough players to fill these server types, it would quickly result in one or two main groups sticking together while everyone else is left in Vanilla WoW struggling to get 40 people to raid MC. And instead of fostering group retention via needing gear drops so continuing to do the fight, after one kill those 40 people would disappear from the server. This is quite possibly the worst idea I've ever heard regarding WoW classic servers.
    BAD WOLF

Grinding sets to progress sounds boring. I wouldn't mind a campaign setting where you and four other people progressed through the content at timed intervals and were rewarded without the grinding aspect though. It would be like playing a real game almost.

All of these ideas are terribly bad.
    You're the reason people don't take player input seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aydinx2
    People who don't buy the deluxe edition should be permanently banned. I'm sick of playing with poor people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, all your ideas are just very very bad.
    8700K (5GHz) - Z370 M5 - Mugen 5 - 16GB Tridentz 3200MHz - GTX 1070Ti Strix - NZXT S340E - Dell 24' 1440p (165Hz)

Deleted
    So you're forcing people to do pve to progress in realms ? Yeah people will love it.
    Realm C-D-E will be almost entirely empty, since either people will not bother and stay on the initial realms, or they will want to go as far as possible and get to the latest realms.
    Oh the joy when you're stuck for a few months on an empty realm, with no economy whatsoever or anything to do really.

Also I don't get it :
    SKIPPING REPETIVENESS

IV.
    A. RBG realm level 80-85. Seasons 9, 10, and 11 rotate in a cycle yada yada yada...
    how is repeating the same thing over and over again for eternity..... skipping repetiveness ?

10+ Year Old Account
    One thing I noticed that I don't think the OP thought about is character association. I associate myself with Darsithis. I am Darsithis, online. My youtube? Darsithis. My Twitter? Darsithis. Here? Darsithis - the list goes on. I wouldn't want to start over anywhere else or earn rare items and titles that I can't have on Darsithis...which is why he's been my main since he was created, even through some really bad times for DKs.

I'm a PvP player and i just hate flying mounts and instanced PvP, but a classic server ? no thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    What if we don't want to? I've played classic WoW on a private server. No thanks

No you wouldn't. You don't need to have played through classic or TBC to be someone skilled or experienced at raiding. All you need is the current tier, a patient raid team, and the natural skills necessary: spacial awareness, reflexes, and the ability to work in team.

All I see this being is a way for nostalgic players to sate themselves for a month or two.
    skeptical nancy, go f yourself

Infracted.
    Last edited by Zaelsino; 2014-02-18 at 03:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokas View Post
    skeptical nancy, go f yourself
    If that is the best you can do, then the point is proven as you are simply incapable of coming up with a constructive argument.
    EQ did exactly that, and that proved exactly what we predicted.
    Nostalgia wears off very quickly.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Neow View Post
    Oh the joy when you're stuck for a few months on an empty realm, with no economy whatsoever or anything to do really.
    Which is just like a dead realm today...one reason for connected realms...