Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's worth clarifying that the Draenei did not build Tempest Keep/Exodar. They fled Argus on Oshu'gun, a Naaru ship capable of traversing the Twisting Nether, and does not rely on portals.

http://wowpedia.org/Oshu%27gun
    http://wowpedia.org/Dimensional_Ship
    Last edited by Greyfang; 2014-02-18 at 09:35 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Glustin10 View Post
    It's worth clarifying that while the Draenei did not build Tempest Keep/Exodar, they did build Oshu'gun (albeit with the help of the Naaru) to flee Argus. Oshu'gun is an actual ship capable of traversing the Twisting Nether, and does not rely on portals.

http://wowpedia.org/Oshu%27gun
    http://wowpedia.org/Dimensional_Ship
    No. The Draenei didn't build any of them. K'ure arrive to Argus in Oshu'gun to save them from the Legion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    No. The Draenei didn't build any of them. K'ure arrive to Argus in Oshu'gun to save them from the Legion.
    I stand corrected. Edited my previous post.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Argus, the homeworld of the eredar race of magic-wielders and their exiled brethren called the draenei.
    Azeroth, the world where most of the action of the Warcraft universe is set.
    Fanlin'Deskor, named in draenei "Amber skies over wondrous rock", was destroyed by the Burning Legion.
    K'aresh, the original homeworld of the ethereals before they evacuated to wander the Twisting Nether.
    Draenor, the homeworld of the orcs, ogres, and other species, and a sanctuary of the draenei.
    Xoroth, the homeworld of the dreadsteeds (and possibly the nathrezim and tothrezim).
    Xerrath, a world destroyed by the Burning Legion as a show of power during the enslavement of Xoroth.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by intrinsc View Post
    Technology-wise, I think the races of azeroth are capable of building a space craft. Very crude computers are not far behind since they already have powered flight and basic computers didn't come much after that in our own history.
    No need for spacecraft when we have magical portals to other worlds, well world.

Quote Originally Posted by Manabomb View Post
    I will take a knee here and apologize to your tastes, as they must be horrific if Metzen is any form of decent writer. That's like saying Knaak is.... Let's not talk about Knaak.

OT, Not really canon, scapegoat to have heroes of the storm actually occur, timey whimey wibbly wobbly things.
    Aw, thanks for bending down from that lofty perch to regress down to my level in an effort to accommodate my horrific man child tastes with the token of that patronizing apology.

To clear something up, Metzen isn't really a writer traditionally at all unless you're talking about the single book he took a crack at, which I'm guessing you're not talking about based on what little you've demonstrated so far at this point. I do so hope I'm not using too many words here to rationalize my love for something puerile and naive in a mask of analytical deconstruction.

He mostly creates and fleshes out worlds and conceptualizes themes and rough plot lines and characters and leads a creative development team with an abundantly passionate enthusiasm and love for his job that's absolutely infectious and notoriously well regarded in the industry by his peers. He does what he loves, and that passion is contagious and addictive. He breaks down stories and themes in an intentionally larger than life method that distills and summarizes the pure concentrated syrupy essence of these concepts that in many ways mirrors and complements the approach Blizzard's art style takes as well as it's philosophy towards game play and overall design. It's a recipe that all grooves into a potent and so far wildly successful mixture, where less is more.

And as you've so humbly regressed down to my level to call my taste into question for daring to defend the man, rather than safeguard my fragile ego, I'll try to convey a concept to you which you just might not be privy to, regarding spectrum. I read a great many things from a spectrum of genres and levels of sophistication. I would be a limited and stagnant mind in my opinion who judges everything from some equally procedural filter which often is all the critic has as they had to be taught or teach themselves how to judge a piece of art or fiction based on some kind of established criteria they've decided upon. Personally for fantasy I prefer Tolkien as my introduction and Martin, some Moorcock, Robert E Howard, Robert W Chambers for the obscure and strange and Lovecraft though I've gotten tired of how saturated the culture is now with him since the early 90s when I was in high school. Then there's Frank Herbert, a shame he died before his masterful exploration of human behavior and the evolution of society and its intertwined relations with scientific observation, the power of religious iconography to rule the masses, ecology and it's effect on the discipline of the mind and it's relation with he backbone of a societies infrastructure, culture, consciousness and all the other things he somehow connected and made commentary on, before he died and his son turned it all into another generic adventurous romp in the universe he built.

I won't get into a pissing contest here as you obviously have some issues with appreciating a spectrum of things for their own merits, from trite pulp to Russian Literature or the great classics of the 19th and 20th centuries with Dickens, Twain, or Harper Lee. Or my studies of ancient Norse saga and Anglo Saxon poetry and the mythological cycles of the Scots/Gaels/Celts and their own ancient prose filtered through the warped minds of ancient Christendom. Ancient Greek classics, my love of the sciences, adoring Sagan, Sam Harris and Steven Pinker, or a host of lauded and obscure writers that might earn me a Pabst Blue Ribbon in some thrift shop garbed circles of 20 somethings in turtle necks and scarves.

I also like watching cartoons, like Avatar the Last Airbender or Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, Ninja Scroll, the Secret of Nimh, the Iron Giant...you know, to safely protect myself behind the go to classics of contemporary critical success. Not to mentions the classic Transformers or Disney's Gargoyles.

My favorite comics would probably be Mignola's work, Alan Moore when he's not a twat. Gaiman, Wendy Pini, Stan Sakai, Moebius, Jodorowsky, Grant Morrison. I've not been too into comics much the last ten years, not that I'm under any pretentious twit's presumption that I'm too sophisticated for them, I've never gotten around to tracking down and catching up. I can still enjoy a simple little TMNT comic from the early 80s. TV? I like the Sopranos, the Wire, Breaking Bad, True Detective, Mad Men, of course ye old Game of Thrones. Movies? Far too may genres and titles to even scrape the surface of. A special place for the Dark Cystal is in my heart and all things Brian Froud and Alan Lee. Possibly none of this is obscure and compelling enough for you to give me the benefit of the doubt, I'll try to keep living this farce that is my tasteless life in light of that.

I would tell you there's a time and a place for fine literature and a time and place for naive and basic larger than life personalities echoing ancient themes even a child can appreciate, and Warcraft has a place there, and it's by no means the trite bullshit of Twilight or 50 Shades of Grey so many of the elitist snobs here compare it to. I think you need to get over yourself and come down a few steps on that perch your kneeling down from. Anyone with this disposition of what is so intrinsically horrific is towing the line of the pretentious for approaching something that is obviously nothing more than indulgent homage and an unabashed celebration of classic archetypal tropes on par with a decent Saturday Morning Cartoon with the same resounding and most basic archetypes of human storytelling you can really break most mythology down to, explored again and again in a kind Joseph Campbell meets Stan Lee simplicity. We're talking super heroes and knights and wizards.

The temptation of power and succumbing to it's excesses, tales of unchecked desire, fear of the preemptive strike, mindless nationalistic pride and empiricism and the indulgence of patriotism and isolationist xenophobia or conquering expansion, the noble savage, the decadence of civilization, the self sacrificial hero and martyr in the exploration of the standard messiah pattern echoed throughout history and mythology as well as the fallen messiah, the greatest champion and their potential fallen to despair and doubt.

Warcraft is also unabashedly and intentionally homage to the atmosphere evocative of Marvel and DC comics, from the classic runs to the gritty 80s and massive character universe spill overs of the 90s, over complicated serials overflowing with cosmic forces and ruptured time lines and universes, peppered here and there with larger than life characters who are broadly representative demeanors and personality type of little depth but strong identity.

Assimilated into Warcraft placed on this stage of a centralized battle of avatar like iconography, Azeroth seemingly more and ore being a symbolic representation at the center of some kind of cosmic struggle. it is a simple minded story about destiny and the question of if man needs their gods or if gods need their flock. Metzen loves pop culture and myth, from Transformers and Captain America to Thor and to Dragonlance or the Lord of the Rings, and he makes no hidden secrets about this or the themes he is fixated on exploring again and again and again through the backdrop of new characters and new worlds all with the geeked out excitement and inspiring enthusiasm of someone crafting their own little epic Saturday Morning cartoon saga. Blizzard IPs have never claimed to be highbrow literature and though it ironically draws so many who feel it is capable of being so much more to the fan base, eventually they all discover to their annoyed and carefully assembled identity's disappointment that they were wrong, and now in denial of what somehow appealed to them with such resounding quality, something so uncouth and predictable that upon discovery that you've been baited you make a career out of deprecating the story with a collection of meme like dogmatic criticisms people are practically indoctrinated within the moment they enter a global channel in this game or join an online community.

If you're like the usual Metzen hipster in these circles who seem to just be sticking around content to sit there taking pot shots at what is so endemically "horrible", proud of recognizing the obvious while throwing stones at something the size of an aircraft carrier, you're basically judging a glorified cartoon series with the standards of art house cinema and literature. Often out of some strange lingering sense of loyalty to the unrealized potential of a virtual character or culture in a virtual world, lashing out in petulant bitterness with Metzen as your scapegoat for his personal treatment of his own creations, while he by no means has absolute power of veto here in the plot lines or their development. But of course he's just living out his own meta fantasies in the guise of his favored sons, right?

Metzen is a cheerleader and his passion is undeniably remarkable and contagious if you simply shut off your self aggrandizing arm chair literary critic, shut up, and enjoy Warcraft for what it is. A bunch of the industries talented creative developers creating over the top artists and writers making over the top (oh noes) "cool" characters based around "cool" drawings that dare to rely on "coolness" with tales of heroes and villains and the many ways a point of view can change which is the monster and which is the hero.

People like you are just a waste of time here beyond your own circle jerks, forever ashamed and ready to tear apart what amounts to only a moderately complex animated cartoon saga about gods and monsters and little people wielding weapons twice their size being the channel of cosmic forces empowering them to challenge and pose a threat to these foes or assist in their downfall as players on a cosmic chessboard. Bastards, we want nuance and exhibition!

You can spare me your knee and your apology as I find you likely devoid of any creative ability of your own in your lack of any naive appreciation for anything below the deep and sophisticated plot lines and literature you've decided real adults with "good taste" exhibit that you've likely assembled through a long begrudging process of elimination and imitation.

At least Metzen not only admits what he is doing is naive and childish fun and imitation, but he celebrates and relishes in it.

You've got the benefit of the doubt for now, and I could be way off base in my conclusions, but I somehow doubt you will surprise me.
    But thanks for sinking to my primitive level on that pristine knee of yours.
    If you like my draw-rings. http://yig.deviantart.com/
    If you can't find them for some reason beyond that page. http://yig.deviantart.com/gallery/
    WOW screenshot and concept art gallery http://smg.photobucket.com/user/evilknick/library/WoW

10+ Year Old Account
    Well... the 1st one is WoW of course, 2nd looks really like the starcraft universe and 3rd from diablo.

if you watch the movie with sound they also said its from diffrent demensions.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Argus, the homeworld of the eredar race of magic-wielders and their exiled brethren called the draenei.
    Azeroth, the world where most of the action of the Warcraft universe is set.
    Fanlin'Deskor, named in draenei "Amber skies over wondrous rock", was destroyed by the Burning Legion.
    K'aresh, the original homeworld of the ethereals before they evacuated to wander the Twisting Nether.
    Draenor, the homeworld of the orcs, ogres, and other species, and a sanctuary of the draenei.
    Xoroth, the homeworld of the dreadsteeds (and possibly the nathrezim and tothrezim).
    Xerrath, a world destroyed by the Burning Legion as a show of power during the enslavement of Xoroth.
    If the legion can burst down a planet so easily I wonder why havn't they done it with Azeroth yet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuragalolz View Post
    If the legion can burst down a planet so easily I wonder why havn't they done it with Azeroth yet.
    Azeroth seems to have a number of protections in place that many other planets seem to lack. From the Dragon Aspects to the remaining Titan constructs and facilities that dot the surface. No other world seen so far has had quite the same defenses as we do, although it's unknown if that's due to visitation from the Titans or possibly the safeguards put in place to protect the world from the Old God infection it labors under.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Welcome to Warcraft 1?

I'm sorry I don't really understand your point... We have known there are separate worlds since the warcraft series started over 15 years ago. We even went to Draenor (another planet!) in Warcraft 2 expansion.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H3-N9zoI5c Amazing video of 60+ devilsaurs raiding Undercity!

My God, what a horrible creation. People seeing what they want? Thank God they tried to shy away from that. I know it pisses me off when I'm in an heroic raid, yet in the back of my head all I can think is 'some casual player is playing a heroic dungeon and not wiping.' -Vodkarn