Page 3 of 79 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Avallon View Post
    Why is the fact that the game is subscription based even an issue? Everyone pays a subscription for: updates via patches, new content, maintenance, high quality customer service, etc. The level 90 purchase option is a perk, entirely separate from what the subscription has to offer. Furthermore, its not as if purchasing a level 90 is the only means of obtaining a 90...you can level one for free.
    “There’s a sucker born every minute”

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Truthfully, I hate levelling characters from level 1-85 at the moment. $60 is a small and affordable fee to pay in order to avoid hours of agony. I prefer to have the option to boost a toon to 90 where the real game begins anyway and there in lies the fun of getting characters ready for endgame raiding. But that's jut my two cents.

I guess most people are angered at the fact that blizzard likes to make a profit. Nobody is forcing anyone to avail of this service so I fail to see how this could possibly hurt the game in any irreparable way.

Quote Originally Posted by cherb View Post
    They didn't price it so that everyone could afford it. This price point was most likely researched heavily and it was shown that at $60, they would bring in the most revenue. This was done to make money first, and to provide convenience second.

- - - Updated - - -
    I'd like to assume this, but they don't test encounters 10 vs. 25 man, they didn't test stampede in the arena, they didn't get a feel for some of their earlier MoP pvp changes.(these are just a few examples from MoP) Anyone who plays a lot of this game knows that there are lots of things wrong with the game that are clearly from a lack of player-like perspective, or caring, and I don't think they don't care about their game, I just don't think they play it. I'd love to just assume Blizz tests and is thorough about everything, but to me the 60 price is probably just prohibitive to keep the "qq this is p2w crowd at bay. I wonder if they leaked the price to gauge reaction.

Deleted
    I think it's a bit expensive as I could get what 3months of gametime instead? In that time I could level countless characters to level90, but I'm not really fussed since I won't be buying it. I dont *mind* leveling, I've done it waaay too many times to consider myself sane in that regard.
    The free one with WoD is going to be a nice plus though

Why because we equate time spent in WoW to money to determine the value of a service? Time is money.
    ^This.

I don't really care about the feature, and have mixed feelings about the cost if they intend to keep it at $60. Seems a little high for something they would like people to use, but that might be the issue. They may not actually want people to use the feature.

Whatever...I'll be playing WoD and be happy with my "free" 90 boost.

My disgust has nothing to do with the price point, my problem is the idea of creating a demand and monetizing it.

Do you play Candy Crush? If you die more than a certain amount of time, you have to wait a day to replay, OR, pay a little fee. People aren't forced to pay, and the price tag hardly matters in the question, the matter is: Why is it there in the first place? The answer to this, because it makes money, ALOT of it. Now, while I don't like this kind of monetization, I do understand it's the only way King.com makes money, as Candy Crush and it's ever developing company earns money. But I would hate it with all my guts if you would have to buy the game $5 for the game, plus $5 dollar every time they come up with new level on top of these micro-transactions.

WoW business model was a sub base. And when the game launched, and for a long while, the plan was that all the features would be fully accessible to every player, because hey, you pay $15 a month like everyone, and you buy every expansions too! Now they are changing the way WoW is, they are adopting free 2 play features, WITHOUT removing the $15/month. But even if they removed the monthly fee, I think it's totally legitimate for players to question or argue that Blizzard is trespassing the deal here.

Yes times are changing, the industry is adapting to new standards of payments and business models. But no one is stopping Blizzard to make new games on these models. Hearthstone and HotS are both going to be free 2 play with microtransactions, no one is complaining there, because the game has been set to follow this model up front.

If they want the new model for their MMO players, maybe they should just be done with Titan already and offer these "cool" features in there. But right now, someone at Activision is telling the devs to put these business models on WoW, that it makes sense or not, simply because it works, and people will keep playing, and some people will pay for it, so in the end, it's just more money for them, but to what end? Are we, gamers, going to see any benefit to it?

Speaking up against this is a good thing, because it tells the devs that we might not be okay with decisions their boss made. And I can tell you, the devs care, not Bobby Kotick.

I just want to play with my friends again, I want to be able to be in the same guild with them and raid with them.

We're split on different servers out of the group of 8, only one still actively plays and the reason the 7 other players don't is because not all of us can afford to faction change ($30) and server transfer ($25) and to resubscribe ($15). I was hoping that the Level 90 boost would open an opportunity for us to get on the same server and raid together again.

FC+ST+RS= $70 * 8 = $560
    PB+RS = $75 * 8 = $600

FC = Faction Change | ST = Server Transfer | RS = Resubscribe | Paid Boost.

When you add in the future expansion coming soon; its just another fee to add on top of it.

So, this option cost more than the already preexisting option of transferring characters that was already to much for us to take on as a group.

I'm not mad that it cost $60; I just wish it didn't, would've enjoyed raiding with the friends again.

I like it. This game needed some method to jump the 10 year hurdle of old content for people and this is perfect. Wow is a video game, play it however you want. I believe wow will never sell epics or pvp gear directly but so what if it did? The people who care won't buy and will keep their " integrity" and the people who just want to play can spend thier money.

The demonizing of paid features is not a failure of the people who buy, but of the people who want to dictate thier personal beliefs on "status" on everyone to fill a sense of self worth. It's a video game

Quote Originally Posted by brunnor View Post
    I could see this all being a "plan" to inflate sub numbers. Once WoD does come, it will be $40. Battle chest stuff is $20 when on sale. So you can get a whole new account with a new 90 on it for the same price as adding just a 90 to your current account.
    If it were to inflate Sub numbers the cost would be more expensive than buying Battle Chest + MoP + WoD + server transfer.

10+ Year Old Account
    The price is too low. They should raise it at least 30 dollars. 60 dollars is a bargain.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfare View Post
    But whats next? Buying Achievements/Gear/professions. Whats the point of an MMO if you can buy your way to the finish.
    Except they are nothing alike.

Lets be honest about two things; The first, leveling and levels are completely arbitrary measures of anything. The significance of leveling has long been lost, it died with Vanilla WoW where it was worthwhile to stop and enjoy yourself. Just because you hit max level does not mean anything, *except* for the fact that for the greater majority of the player base the game can actually start now.

With that said, the second thing we can clear up is that the game does not truly start until level 90. You can argue all you want about what's there from level 1-90, but lets be honest here, nobody really cares that much, and most people enjoy going back at cap and doing the old stuff anyways. Sure you have people who sit on old level caps and do old raids as the appropriate level but they are a very small portion of the player base.

Levels mean nothing, only that you can start performing and playing the game how most people would like to.

People aren't buying The Insane, people aren't buying current tier Heroic whatever forged gear, people aren't buying boss kills, or a slot in your raid, no. They are saving the time, cutting out the bullshit of leveling in order to get to the point where they can start playing the game for what it is.

People have said "but what's next!" for years, and honestly, the game has stayed on a pretty and solid path towards not being P2W. Everything up until this point has been cosmetic, this is just a quality of life enhancement which has negligible impact, 90 will soon be no longer max level and having a 90 won't mean jack, what this does is allow people to catch up, gear up and get ready to go into the content which actually matters.
    -Retribution, the path of the protector or mender brought to it's natural conclusion; destroying evil before the weak need to be shielded from it, and before it can wound the innocent.
    Fix My DPS | Fix My Heals | Fix My Tanking |

WoW Level Scaling Feature

Quote Originally Posted by Versedian View Post
    I just want to play with my friends again, I want to be able to be in the same guild with them and raid with them.

We're split on different servers out of the group of 8, only one still actively plays and the reason the 7 other players don't is because not all of us can afford to faction change ($30) and server transfer ($25) and to resubscribe ($15). I was hoping that the Level 90 boost would open an opportunity for us to get on the same server and raid together again.

FC+ST+RS= $70 * 8 = $560
    PB+RS = $75 * 8 = $600

FC = Faction Change | ST = Server Transfer | RS = Resubscribe | Paid Boost.

When you add in the future expansion coming soon; its just another fee to add on top of it.

So, this option cost more than the already preexisting option of transferring characters that was already to much for us to take on as a group.

I'm not mad that it cost $60; I just wish it didn't, would've enjoyed raiding with the friends again.
    Then wait another month or two for WoD to go on sale. Use the included 90 and you accomplish (win) your goal for much less money spent e.g. $55.

You just have to wonder what will appear in the Blizzard store next? Titles? Level 25 guilds? Professions? It's ridiculous that all of this rubbish is rapidly appearing in a P2P game, F2P games typically have these micro transactions, but now all of these things are rapidly appearing in a P2P game. Remove the sub fee already if you're going to pull this bullshit.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Charmanderp View Post
    The purpose of this thread is to help understand why some people are crying out about this (possible) number for the cost. I personally think it is a reasonable price for the amount of content that you are skipping.
    It's reasonable to charge me... $60... to skip content... that I've already paid $140+ for?

Are you high?

Quote Originally Posted by Relicra View Post
    Honestly think people are just mad they can't afford it. Sucks for them.
    This. /endthread

Which is amazing to be honest. I thought it was going to be $99.99 or $89.99 so I'm happy.

These kids can go mow three lawns for $20 a lawn and have an instant 90 in a couple hours. Blizzard is being beyond generous with $60.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfare View Post
    But whats next? Buying Achievements/Gear/professions. Whats the point of an MMO if you can buy your way to the finish.
    I don't think I've ever considered a character 'finished' at the level cap, never mind the level cap of a previous expansion come WoD release.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

15+ Year Old Account
    I was honestly expecting $30-35. I was quite surprised at the $60 price point. I don't know that it's settled at $60 as I haven't seen any official comment, but they will have to do a write up on it soon.

Quote Originally Posted by LookingGlass View Post
    This. /endthread

Which is amazing to be honest. I thought it was going to be $99.99 or $89.99 so I'm happy.

These kids can go mow three lawns for $20 a lawn and have an instant 90 in a couple hours. Blizzard is being beyond generous with $60.
    Jesus Christ....

I think on here Blizzard could tell us they're going to knock at our houses tomorrow and kick us in the bollocks and a few on here would still say "Well bloody good form chaps! I was expecting to get shot, so that's me happy!"

While I feel that the price is higher than it should be it makes sense considering it's about the same as just buying the expansion and transferring the boosted 90. If I feel like I need to pay to boost a character I'm sure someone will be willing to take in-game gold so I'll have something to spend my gold cap+ on.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Charmanderp View Post
    The purpose of this thread is to help understand why some people are crying out about this (possible) number for the cost. I personally think it is a reasonable price for the amount of content that you are skipping.
    Paying NOT to play a game.

Welcome to 2014