Page 70 of 79 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Try being in a lfr with a bunch a pay to boosts dps in nothing but greens, and no knowledge of their class.... that's why the hate!

I'm surprised you had the arm-strength left to type all that considering you had to swim through the molasses lake of other threads with the same subject and similar titles.
    Soothing Mist:"Healing them for a minor amount every 0.5 sec, until you take any other action."
    Jade Serpent Statue: "The statue will also begin casting Soothing Mist on your target. healing for 50% as much as yours. "
    [What's half of minor?]
    "Statue casts Soothing Mist at a nearby ally for toddler healing."

10+ Year Old Account
    People hate change. Boosts are change. Also, people refuse to avoid LFR.

I just remember this being pitched as e.g. if you want to play call of duty 11 then you don't have to play call of duty 1 through 10 first.

Problem is, Blizzard is asking you to buy call of duty 1 through 10 first and then skipping them entirely before you can play 11.

Deleted
    I don't think the hate is against ALL boosted players, just those that don't know their ass from their elbow and didn't have the courtesy to at least learn the basics of the class they chose to boost. They saved themselves a week of levelling, but couldn't invest less an hour reading up on Icy Veins or the guides on this forum?

I feel like people hide behind "leave him alone he's new", that works at level 1-89, but level 90 players are expected to have a clue or things like LFR and random BG's just don't work.

I'm not expecting players to min-max, but for instance there was a Destro Lock spamming Incinerate, and only Incinerate, this kind of thing is inexcusable.

Legit reasons include LFR and PuGs becoming more difficult because it did require (extremely bare) minimal effort to at least make it to 90, and there is currently a glut of new players who have never read a guide in their life and are overwhelmed with new buttons.

QQ reasons are because this game is all about epeen for many people and the lack of leveling time invested is one more thing to rage against.

Personally I don't mind it being in. LFR was always a cesspool and people who know how to play or are serious enough to learn will quickly move on to flex and "real" raids, just like they did without a boost after facerolling their way to 90. The casual players and outright bad ones will languish in lfr. Nothing will really change in the long run.

Deleted
    Because buying any form of advantege is considered P2W. You can whine as much as you want, yet it will remain true.

For me it just goes against the very nature of an MMORPG.

Pay to skip content you just paid to have access to and play.

Have a max level toon that goes backwards to hit level 1 content they have never seen.

Players that have no clue how to play a class. (and if you think blizzard little tutorial will fix that you'd be wrong)

It's a money grab at the basic level. While it's not P2W, it's a byproduct of blizzards ever increasing problem of catering to those that just can't be bothered to wait and play the game for rewards. (EX: gaining levels, doing dungeons or raids for gear) It's a push of the NOW NOW NOW generation and blizzard sees them as an untapped money stream.

So they created a way to not be P2W but warp the game for cash.

It's in ingenious move on blizzard part but it's a disease on the game. It's been getting worse and worse over the years and it will produce more problems than I care for.
    Last edited by quras; 2014-03-19 at 07:37 PM.

Let me give you an example.

Let's say WoW is a school system. Their job is to teach you and help you grow. Well, the issue here is that they're too lazy for that and they want everyone to pass and move on to the next grade with minimal work on their part. So they essentially decide to skip the beginning grades. Now there's no elementary school. You skip pass 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and all the way to High School senior year. So now new students who are joining the school - IE 5 and 6 year olds are now with the other seniors.

Or even better, it's like WoW is like a restaurant. You order a FULL meal (salad, soup, entree, dessert) and when you start eating your meal you discover the food tastes like crap - the salad is plain and unimaginative, the steak is well done and bland, and the soup tastes like tears of regret. Now the waiters and Chef understand that the food is terrible, but instead of taking the food back to the kitchen and improving it in some way, they shrug and bring you out your dessert. And it's a really nice dessert - one of your favorites. And you don't mind that the first couple entrees were awful because the dessert is REALLY awesome. Only issue is you're forced to keep eating that same dessert for another year.

---

The problem here, is the 90 boost is the result of Blizzard being lazy - yet again. The major issue with MoP is that alt-leveling was at a bare minimum. Not many people were doing it. Why? Because they've made it mind-numbing and boring. So instead of addressing the issues with the leveling system and trying to improve it in some way, they just decided to give everyone 90 boosts and be done with it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Spastic_Dreamer View Post
    The problem here, is the 90 boost is the result of Blizzard being lazy - yet again. The major issue with MoP is that alt-leveling was at a bare minimum. Not many people were doing it. Why? Because they've made it mind-numbing and boring.
    I don't understand what you mean with this.

I found leveling a lot of fun in MoP, is it more of the same? Sure of course it is, but you making it sound like leveling in other expansions was different (or difficult) which it certainly was not, in fact killing some of the world rares in MoP is quite challenging in full green gear

I really enjoyed a lot of the story lines leveling and I thought it was put together very well.

I guess you just hate the theme? (which I can understand but that is vastly different to what you are saying).

Also levelling teaches you nothing about raiding with your class, I dinged a monk recently (about 5 weeks ago) I literally knew nothing about how to raid with her when she dinged, I am now doing 220k in flex, research is your friend.

I saw a few people in a random guildchat on one of my alts talking about how they had no idea how to play their characters but were queueing for LFR anyways. I've said a few times, I think Blizz should have included some sort of a requirement, like the one coming in WoD, where you need to earn a Silver in PGs before you can queue for LFR.

Not sure why some people complain about Blizzard making money...it's pretty much why they're in business. And thankfully they are making a lot of money, or they'd stop working on the game, and then we'd have to go complain about something else.

My last weird point is that while I support the feature, I find it hard to justify using at present. I just don't seem to care enough about having another level 90 character to rush my pre-order and use the boost. And sadly, the part of leveling I want to skip the most is 85-90 and to a lesser extent 80-85. I like everything up until that point. I think leveling has the best character progression in the game. You start with a simple base load of skills and slowly build up your repertoire, all the while looking forward to specific levels when you get that one ability that's going to change everything.

Once you hit 90, all you have to look forward to is nominal gains, whatever the current Tier Bonuses are, and the new raid content. About the only other character development I can see is, for instance, fire mages, getting more crit, seeing their 'rotation' change as they get more procs. But getting more crit hardly compares to getting instant pyro for the first time while leveling. I wish they could add more of that to max level content.

Consider this: What is "Winning" in wow?

If you ask me, there are multiple things you "win" in in wow. One of these things is winning low level content, e.g. dungeons. Another one is completing levels, which is achieved through objectives. By paying money, you gain a boost that makes the first one trivial, and the second one just flat out instant.

That is by definition pay to win. This isn't just a cosmetic change that has no effect on gameplay.

I don't hate the boost, I hate it when they swarm LFR and wipe the groups.
    Tho, I just did my last lfr run ever, so that's out of my way.

I don't care, personally. But to me the majority seems to boil down to:

1)It's Pay-to-Win/encouraging them to go down the Pay-to-Win road by supporting it.

2)I have to play with them and they're all bad and fail at the game.

3)They didn't EARN it like I did!

Personally I think a lot of the people who protest over 1 and 2 are really covering for 3 more than anything, but that's just IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by CodeConqueror View Post
    It's not P2W. It's P2 catch up. Over time leveling has gotten longer and longer. It used to be 1-40, then 1-60, then 1-70, then 1-80, then 1-90 and soon 1-100. Now that it's gotten so high, it can take a long time for most people to catch up and be able to play with their friends. It's become a bigger and bigger time investment. For a new player or someone making an alt, it looks like a huge mountain in front of them and many will say screw it and not bother. Especially considering that there is no fun game play involved in lower levels, even with CRZ, you're usually out on your own running quests and waiting for queues; most people don't find that very fun or engaging. It's an MMO, they're here to play with other people, usually their friends. It's especially difficult for a new player to see that mountain and feel like climbing it just so that they can get into current tier content and play with their friends in a reasonable amount of time. Granted, as an alt, most of us have heirlooms, know how to leverage RAF and Blizz has increased XP gained and lowered XP required in places but it's still a significant time investment for most people to get from 1-90 and THEN start preparing to play in current content, even more so for a new player. A new player doesn't have the benefit of knowing the fun that is had at max level so they don't have the carrot in front of them to entice them to bother with the investment.

Paying to get to 90 doesn't impact anything meaningful. You still need to get current level gear (you're not doing anything useful in the greens you auto-get) in order to not get steam rolled in PVP and do meaningful damage in PVE.

At best you could argue that it makes running LFR and random BGs painful while these people get geared up and used to their new class but that's about it. You might call them baddies but there have been baddies well before boosting came into the picture. Some people get the hang of it, others do not, regardless of the leveling mechanism and experience.

You do NOT get free epics nor can you buy epics by boosting to 90 as other posts suggest nor has there even been a rumor of that happening. They don't even point to a real problem or impact on the game, just that they don't like it and therefore the game is now unplayable. Its a psychological problem masquerading as a game play problem.

I for one, leveled 4 90's and 3 85's the normal leveling route but I wanted to finally try my hand at playing a warrior but I did not feel like investing the 1-90 leveling time to do it at this point so boosting to 90 by pre-purchase of WoD for my warrior made sense, got me into current content and now I'm working on gearing him up and getting decent with the ins and outs of playing one. Once I've gotten the hang of it and have appropriate gear from LFR, Celestials, Ordos, TI, and crafting, I'll be GTG to take part in my guild's alt run in SoO. No harm, no foul and I don't see how this negatively impacts you and your ability to play and enjoy the game.

What benefit do the boosted 90's get that you don't? They saved time getting there. That's it. The sky is not falling.

Am I wrong? Do the boosted 90 characters somehow take away from your ability to play or enjoy the game the way you always have? Do they get some unfair advantage over you in PVP or PVE? Or are you just mad that you leveled the slow way and they didn't?
    I hate it because absolutely every argument for it can be equally applied to any gear not BiS.

Buying full normal tier is not P2W, its P2 catch up to heroic
    Clearing normal is just a timesink for raiding heroic
    You dont learn in sub heroic raiding
    How is a full normal set winning? what do you win? there is still heroic
    people will pay to get carried anyway.
    its not an advantage over your full heroic character!

Buying full honor gear is not P2W its P2 catch up to those in conquest
    Grinding honor in Bgs is just a timesink and doesnt teach you anything for arenas
    You dont learn in random BGs
    How is honor gear winning? what do you win? there is still conquest
    People will pay to get carried anyway.
    Its not an advantage over your full conquest character!

People claim that its not the same as buying gear and thats just slippery slope fallacy, but no argument put forth by Blizzard is not equally applicable to selling gear below BiS, and thats because no matter what way you spin it, you are buying an advantage.

Time is a currency, plain and simple. between weekly lockouts, caps and more, the longer a character is there, the more the character can accomplish.

10 years ago, this would be considered P2W on the spot, no questions asked. It is only recently with the advent of microtransactions that people claim a difference between a non-cosmetic boost and P2W.

Quote Originally Posted by CodeConqueror View Post
    It used to be 1-40, then 1-60, then 1-70, then 1-80, then 1-90 and soon 1-100.
    the level cap was never 40. started at 60 --> 70 --> 80 --> 85 --> 90 soon to be 100
    Quote Originally Posted by Marxman View Post
    I think many people use the word "scale" the same way the smurfs use "smurf".

Honestly, those people that 'suck' at their class because of a boost will learn in time. Over all the community will grow from more peoples having more accessible content available to them from the moment they start playing. Instead of grinding to level up and then play.

Quote Originally Posted by quras View Post
    For me it just goes against the very nature of an MMORPG.

Pay to skip content you just paid to have access to and play.

Have a max level toon that goes backwards to hit level 1 content they have never seen.

Players that have no clue how to play a class. (and if you think blizzard little tutorial will fix that you'd be wrong)

It's a money grab at the basic level. While it's not P2W, it's a byproduct of blizzards ever increasing problem of catering to those that just can't be bothered to wait and play the game for rewards. (EX: gaining levels, doing dungeons or raids for gear) It's a push of the NOW NOW NOW generation and blizzard sees them as an untapped money stream.

So they created a way to not be P2W but warp the game for cash.

It's in ingenious move on blizzard part but it's a disease on the game. It's been getting worse and worse over the years and it will produce more problems than I care for.

This is one of the few understandable and level headed posts I've seen on the topic.

I can understand this view, I just can't understand the "WoW is now unplayable because someone else got to 90 faster than me so I'm unsubbing" or "this is P2W" posts. Buying performance enhancers would be P2W, buying level boost to current content doesn't enhance your performance, it just lets you skip some of the time investment. Baddies existed before boost. LFR and normal BGs were full of terri-bads before boost. At worst, it might add to the number of bads you run into in those scenarios but that's about it.

And while it may be a 'disease' on the game, so is a rapidly diminishing player base and I see this as a way to boost the player base back up (or at least an attempt to do so). WoW is a great game, we wouldn't play it for years on end if not, but how else do you entice new players to join the ranks without giving them a quick catch up mechanism?

Reaching Max level means you beat the game, duh.

</sarcasm >

Quote Originally Posted by Spastic_Dreamer View Post
    Or even better, it's like WoW is like a restaurant. You order a FULL meal (salad, soup, entree, dessert) and when you start eating your meal you discover the food tastes like crap - the salad is plain and unimaginative, the steak is well done and bland, and the soup tastes like tears of regret. Now the waiters and Chef understand that the food is terrible, but instead of taking the food back to the kitchen and improving it in some way, they shrug and bring you out your dessert. And it's a really nice dessert - one of your favorites. And you don't mind that the first couple entrees were awful because the dessert is REALLY awesome. Only issue is you're forced to keep eating that same dessert for another year.

Well put. Hadn't really looked at it that way before. Maybe there are some level headed people putting thought into it, its just hard to see through the sea of rage posts with mindless statements which prompted mine.