H Protectors Help.

Hey guys,

This is our 2nd week in Heroics as a guild and we arn't really having TOO much of an issue, but I just wanted to get some unbiased eyes on our logs for heroic protectors as I am new to logs for the most part. We have only truly spent one night on Heroic Protectors and we've downed Immerseus, Norushen (1 shot), and Galakras quite easy. I really feel we should 2 heal this as our dps are getting used to the fight and as we get used to positioning and the speed of mechanics we should improve vastly. I've looked over the logs myself and I am not the greatest at looking too in depth at things yet. I know we are taking way more damage than we should. The order we do is Rook > Sun > He. We usually pop devo at about the 50% Calamity mark into the first go through. We have our interupt rotations for Gloom and our Mark rotations for He's desperate measures phase. Without saying anymore here's a copy of the log for our best attempt. This log might change a bit because we no longer have the Holy Paladin and have inserted a BM Hunter. Please don't be too harsh.

http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/...T3vDkX#fight=8

btw- We are going to push Sun and He into desperate measures at the same time our next attempts.
    Last edited by Excess1001; 2014-02-20 at 04:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Excess1001 View Post
    Hey guys,

This is our 2nd week in Heroics as a guild and we arn't really having TOO much of an issue, but I just wanted to get some unbiased eyes on our logs for heroic protectors as I am new to logs for the most part. We have only truly spent one night on Heroic Protectors and we've downed Immerseus, Norushen (1 shot), and Galakras quite easy. I really feel we should 2 heal this as our dps are getting used to the fight and as we get used to positioning and the speed of mechanics we should improve vastly. I've looked over the logs myself and I am not the greatest at looking too in depth at things yet. I know we are taking way more damage than we should. The order we do is Rook > Sun > He. We usually pop devo at about the 50% Calamity mark into the first go through. We have our interupt rotations for Gloom and our Mark rotations for He's desperate measures phase. Without saying anymore here's a copy of the log for our best attempt. This log might change a bit because we no longer have the Holy Paladin and have inserted a BM Hunter. Please don't be too harsh.

http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/...T3vDkX#fight=8

btw- We are going to push Sun and He into desperate measures at the same time our next attempts.
    I see a lot of deaths just to raidwide damage, 2 healing would only make it more difficult. I wouldn't recommend 2 healing this on progression - you haven't hit the enrage mark yet even with 3 healers.

I see deaths where ranged aren't getting any AoE heals for 10 or more seconds from either the Monk or Shaman. Having ranged come in closer to melee for Heal Rain / Rushing Jade Wind will help a lot here. Really there isn't much to avoid in this fight (the kick, and poison). But for Noxious poison you can move He out - bring him back in when he has instant poison. Be loosely spread so Sha Sear doesn't hit everyone.

Otherwise, DPS needs to be higher. Bringing all three bosses together for cleaving will help you a lot here. Tell your raiders to shoot for 250-300k DPS, you'll need it. I see a few really big Calamities so speeding up DPS will help the healing too.
    Last edited by Nexii; 2014-02-20 at 05:14 PM.

I'm just going to list what caused each wipe to put some perspective, but first, some overall notes:

try to assign dispels well, there's a lot of shadow word: banes going out, a simple approach is, A gets group 1, B gets group 2, if they're in the same group, A gets higher up group member in list, B gets lower down member
    have your paladin bop the first garrote on a clothy to reduce overall damage each phase rotation (if he's in)
    get warlocks to multidot and cleave with havoc and stuff here, they can do CRAZY damage (multi-magebombing and stuff is nice too) (by abusing extra total damge, you'll make the stacking normal phase effects like garrote and calamity less problematic as well as allow you to finish the fight, even if someone dies to something silly)
    this fight is kind of annoying as it is VERY MUCH a fight where you're able to heal through people messing up stuff, but you group can still do a lot to help reduce damage taken

1- mage and rogue stand in poison and clash during sun's phase, you stop heals and wipe
    2- lock gets sha sear, garrote, clash, and bane (eats b-rezz), rogue tries to keep tanking add after his stuff ends, then runs around owning everyone (heals could've fixed this, but it's not all their fault)
    3- rogue stands in stuff, lock stands in brew as calamity hits, and other stuff goes bad after that w/ no b-rezz so I assume you just wiped it
    4- resto shammy stands in poison, ankhs; lock stands in front of rook, gets punched, b-rezz; tank fails at gouge, enhance gets owned, ankh; mw dies to he's phase, does downhill
    5- tank fails at gouge, mage eats b-rezz; other mage stands in poison during sun's phase; you guys wipe it
    6- mage stands in front of rook, eats brezz; sha sear+poison kills mw, others proceed to die
    7- interrupt fail, also try to take sha sear out of the inferno strike stack, you're able to fix mistakes when you don't have that ticking damage
    8- best attempt: warr tank stands in poison and dies, gets brezz; calamity hits HARD (and people stood in poison too, so they died instead of getting low), enhance shammy stands in poison and ankhs to immediately die again in said poison LOLOLOL, you then wipe it
    9- pally stands in poison and eats brezz, garrote and sha sear with lack of heals kills mage while other mage stands in front of rook's punches
    10- interrupt missed, people get owned
    11- shammy stands in brew as calamity hits gets globaled and ankhs; mage dies to rook's punches, brezz; mw stands in brew; you stop heals and wipe

you have trouble with he's desperate measures, I don't know what to say other than watch your cooldowns and communicate passes
    be careful with gouge in normal phase, it's usually a death if you fuck up

pop a defensive cooldown, for calamity, all you've really got are smoke bomb (which requires stacking) and demo/rallying, and maybe popping revival right before or after it hits (or devo if you have the pally), but you have to do something

imo, have your enhance shaman take AG, rushing streams and HST, although nice, are usually not going to make a difference between something you can and can't heal through (or even make something significantly easier to heal through as AG does)

be more careful and aware of poison and sha sear, they are very easily avoidable and honestly, standing in poison is a major contributing factor in a lot of your wipes wipes, just tell everyone to move the healing rain area some if there's too much (people should be loosely stacked at range and running out if they get sha sear while dodging poison and brew)
    and your mages need to not stand in front of rook's fists, it only stuns the tank, so they can even blink or run out if they're just standing in it, but instead they die by taking the whole thing
    even brew was being a problem, just don't stand in stuff

http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/...s=1598&wipes=1
    the people with the lowest %s stood in the most shit for the most part (although there still were some early deaths on some of them that weren't their own faults), also your rogues, hunters, and mages need to learn how to use fd/vanish/invis to survive wipes and rezz

The biggest problem I see is that people keep dying to ridiculous damage. They need to pay attention more. Boss AoE and ground effects only get worse from that point, so if they can't learn it there, you're not gonna down many bosses. Also, the tank on Rook should call out when he's about to do his punches to warn people that it's about to happen. It might not seem necessary, and it's not, but it helps people by giving them one less timer to pay attention to.

Quote Originally Posted by Teevo View Post
    The biggest problem I see is that people keep dying to ridiculous damage. They need to pay attention more. Boss AoE and ground effects only get worse from that point, so if they can't learn it there, you're not gonna down many bosses. Also, the tank on Rook should call out when he's about to do his punches to warn people that it's about to happen. It might not seem necessary, and it's not, but it helps people by giving them one less timer to pay attention to.
    I think you can simplify this mechanic by always pointing Rook at the same spot. You can additionally mark the Rook tank. Then by avoiding the marker you'll be good. No need to call this out really, there's more difficult mechanics that could be called instead.

Deleted
    People are standing in bad stuff, plain and simple. I don't even understand how ranged are dying to Rook's Vengeful Strikes, they shouldn't be anywhere near directly in front of Rook in the first place. Nothing strat-wise can really fix this, people just need to work on their awareness(not standing in poison, better dispells, getting out of the group with Sha Sear, ect...)

Quote Originally Posted by ryklin View Post
    also your rogues, hunters, and mages need to learn how to use fd/vanish/invis to survive wipes and rezz
    Even priests can pull it off with Spectral Guise if they're lucky :P

Haha I died to Rooks Vengeful Strike, that was due to different positioning with a new tank. Yes 100% avoidable, but happened with 80% of the raid down. Thanks everyone for input. I was thinking the same things.

If I remember correctly this fight requires 1.8 million total dps to beat the enrage. Damage taken issues have already been covered, but you guys are really failing at multi-dotting on the fight. This is a dotters dream. All targets have to die, and the more damage you can do, the less opportunities people will have to die to stupid stuff. Nether tempest, nether tempest, nether tempest....it should be close to 25% of your mages' total damage (more like 40% if they were arcane) and is THE mage bomb for this fight. Rook and Sun should be close enough that it hits both. Mage bomb uptime should be nearly 100% and on all targets possible all the time. Excess didn't die until the end of try 8 and only had 44% bomb uptime. Virtually zero rain of fire damage from your locks, immolate should be nearly 100% uptime. Your raiders really need to pick it up.

Other people covered the nitty gritty.

I will be honest and say that most of these problems show a lack of basic addons/setup that could easily help prevent these problems.

GTFO -- makes audible beeping when you are standing in avoidable effects, eg it will beep if you're the sha-sear target and hitting other people with it. Also if in poison clouds.

Weak auras -- tanks/others can have custom alerts (pictures, sound, etc) show on screen. Like a sound/warning picture when gouge is casting.

VEM - voice encounter mods calls out a lot of the basic abilities and is honestly a bit too good. EG it literally tells tanks to face away when gouge is casting. (turn off the unnecessary crap). Also announces things like "calamity casting", to clue people to use personal mitigation. Similarly warns of brew thrown near them.

15+ Year Old Account
    As an additional thing, if you're having issues with Dispels it's super easy for warlocks to help by playing supremacy + imp for an aoe dispel. Personally I think the warlocks should be playing Affliction because it's just absolutely ridiculous damage on this fight.

Deleted
    We still 3 heal this on farm, just because it's easier with all the raid wide damage. If you aren't wiping to the enrage, I don't see why you wouldn't.