Thread: Smoked salmon

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Smoked salmon

If I eat a vacuum-sealed package of smoked salmon that's been left out overnight will I start vomiting or get diarrhea?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by swineflu View Post
    If I eat a vacuum-sealed package of smoked salmon that's been left out overnight will I start vomiting or get diarrhea?
    Only one way to find out.

Deleted
    You'll get a flu.

Salmonflu.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Anchorman View Post
    Only one way to find out.
    ^

Some pathoges enjoy low oxygen environments. So while the fish might look nice, and the taste is still there, you can still get sick.
    So leaving vacuum-packaged food outside the refrigerator or freezer (You should freeze fish if you're not going to eat it in a couple of days).

So what you're really doing now is 1) preserving the fish look and taste 2) creating a culture of bacteria without the usual warning indicators that you get from food going bad.

Enjoy your fish.
    Last edited by mmoc3f6ff16fa0; 2014-02-21 at 04:58 PM.

Deleted
    Doubt it. Salmon going bad turns brown-grey. If its still pink, u can eat it.

Worst thing that can happen is salmonella. Get it? salmonella. Huehuehue.

Deleted
    you will explode

Not if you cook it.

More than likely not.. But there is always a chance.. I would do it..

10+ Year Old Account
    No you will not.
    But If it doesn't look right or smell right, then obviously you shouldn't eat it though.

Probably not, what is the salt content, and is it really vacuum sealed, most vacuum sealed things are shelf stable.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerN View Post
    No you will not.
    But If it doesn't look right or smell right, then obviously you shouldn't eat it though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wazzbo View Post
    ^

Some pathoges enjoy low oxygen environments. So while the fish might look nice, and the taste is still there, you can still get sick.
    So leaving vacuum-packaged food outside the refrigerator or freezer (You should freeze fish if you're not going to eat it in a couple of days).

So what you're really doing now is 1) preserving the fish look and taste 2) creating a culture of bacteria without the usual warning indicators that you get from food going bad.

Enjoy your fish.

He wont notice any visual or taste differences due to the lack of aerobic bacteria.
    Leaving vac-sealed fish in refrigerator for days, weeks, months is just asking for trouble.
    Remove the obvious smell/look indicator and grow invisible and potentially deadly toxins.
    Last edited by mmoc3f6ff16fa0; 2014-02-21 at 05:16 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    Not if you cook it.
    Why would you cook smoked salmon :/

Also.. I'd risk it. But then I'm never ill... and salmon is too great to leave

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Manakin View Post
    You'll get a flu.

Salmonflu.
    Damn, I wanted to reply that you couldn't get swine flu from fish! Anyway, the smoking process should keep it healthy until it is bad enough you can smell it.

If it was smoked prior to being packaged that means it has already been cooked correct?

If so, how was this product kept before being left out?

If it was frozen or refrigerated and then left out, it will be totally fine.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Having suffered through salmonella infection, I can tell you it is one of the worst food poisonings out there. You will beg for the sweet release of death while shitting your cramping guts out with 40 degrees Celsius fever.
    Atleast you get to be home and play wow!

It's smoked salmon. It'll keep for a bit. Because it's smoked.
    Smoking isn't done for the flavour; it's done to preserve the food. The flavour is a nice bonus, of course.

Seems to have the same effect as those ebay gummie bears.
    http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/4...4841599821.jpg the boy that will forever be named the HHD wiper. R.I.P

Just put it on some crackers with creme fresh, lemon and capers. It will be delicious.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    If it was smoked prior to being packaged that means it has already been cooked correct?

If so, how was this product kept before being left out?

If it was frozen or refrigerated and then left out, it will be totally fine.
    Depends on how it was smoked.

OP if you are really worried about it and still want to eat it just get the temp back up to 145 degrees and you are good, dumping some lemon juice or something with acid in it will do the trick also.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

I ate the fish and I did not get vomit or diarrhea.