10+ Year Old Account

Veteran returning to the berserking position. or...!?

Good morning MMO-Champion.

I'm a vanilla-veteran whom have played lots of different classes and specs but over the years, I've gradually grown tired of it all and I'm leaning towards just playing one character and leave it with that. Perhaps a bank-alt I can send gold and items to, but that's about it.

But, given that I want to retire to just one character, I've decided to approach my 90 Warrior on Argent Dawn after some thinking. Given that Argent Dawn is an RP-server, I thought it'd be a nice idea to make my warrior exactly what I am. A veteran which was around since Stormwind was built(I'd like to share that I also played Warcraft, Warcraft2 + various of expansions of wc2, so.. yeah, I actually was around when it was built) but have grown tired over the years and just want to settle down somewhere. While I won't go into my entire lore here or past achievements, I want to ask the community a few questions...

-What spec to play? I am adapt at all three.
    -How to make money? While it's plenty of ways, I need to know a few that's secure income. I got blacksmithing and mining, but grinding isn't really my thing. I'm looking for ways to earn money while doing other things(Excluding quests)
    -Where to gear? I've heard of this timeless isle, but wouldn't I have to gear up fully there, then spend a couple of weeks in LFR in SoO to THEN at least be somewhat desireable for flex-raiders?
    -What spec to PvP with?

Much feedback is very much appreciated and I wouldn't mind if people would reason their answers.

I'll give my answers as they come bear in mind these are 100 percent my opinion.

1.Prot warrior seems to fit the idea of the character you are describing an old weary veteran that has been protecting his kingdom for more years than some of the new recruits have been alive.Sword and Board has in my eyes always seemed to be the go to for old fasioned traditional warrior
    2.Alchemy has in my view always been a decent money maker you can sell xmutes for quite a bit and people always needs flasks.
    3. what you described is currently the best way to gear up a toon there are some wow head guides as to the quickest way to gear via TI. but you will likely be getting that doing some LFR then flex unless you can find some cool folks to carry you.
    4. I don't PvP therefor have zero answers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xayl1 View Post
    1.Prot warrior seems to fit the idea of the character you are describing an old weary veteran that has been protecting his kingdom for more years than some of the new recruits have been alive.
    I like your style. Being a tank would more or less make me a magnet to raiding guilds though, no? Are tanks common these days? Are we respected as much as we used to back in the day? Oh the good old days of Ahn'Qiraj...

Quote Originally Posted by Seiken3 View Post
    I like your style. Being a tank would more or less make me a magnet to raiding guilds though, no? Are tanks common these days? Are we respected as much as we used to back in the day? Oh the good old days of Ahn'Qiraj...
    They are as in demand as they have ever been as far as I see. I don't really know how Prot warrior stacks up against some other the other tanking classes though but I imagine if you are good then you can find a guild that will take you quite easily. as for respect well outside of the LFR scene tanks still garner quite a bit as long as they are good. in LFR is another story as people there in general seem to have a tendency towards this communities worst behaviors

- - - Updated - - -

sorry for double posting but I thought I would add that in the coming months you are likely to see a lot of ten man Heroic guilds bolstering thier core teams up to 20 for Mythic raiding so in the near future there will a lot of people wanting a skilled tank

Deleted
    prot warriors are one of the strongest classes at the moment. Excellent tank DPS (behind monk? but ahead of the other classes), bring lots of raid utility via banners (crit banner !!!) and rallying cry and have excellent mobility.

Snap aggro is easy via dragons roar although steady AOE aggro is a bit weaker on big packs, although you just need to time your thunderclap or dragons roar properly and possibly tab target if needed.

I am hoping that they maintain the dps buff to prot warriors into WoD so I can swap from paladin tank to warrior tank (fotm ftw)

Deleted
    PvP as Arms or Prot if you're going to do RBGs
    Gold Making I can't really comment on as I don't really spend any money minus repairs and gems/enchants, just be smart by farming everything you can and you should be okay.
    Gearing yeah... I'm afraid it's Timeless Isle > LFR > Flex You can get some 543 gear from Timeless Isle in the form of double upgraded 535 gear from Burdens of Eternity.

As for what spec, if you're good at Prot I would highly suggest Prot. Personally I used to tank a lot up until MoP myself, clearing Raggy/DS HC and everything before that and I think the Veteran feel you're going for would heavily apply for a Protection Warrior. Kinda sounds like the wise, battle-harneded elder of the group? From your description of a Veteran I imagined a heavily armored guy with white/grey long hair and a white/grey long beard covered in scars

Nothing says "I'm badass" like a Prot Tank imho, just wish I was any good at it now days

10+ Year Old Account
    Hm, I have to agree with a prot tank being rather badass. However, how does prot warriors cope with the single-life? I'm thinking of quests(I do dailies now and then), grinding, etc etc. Or can I pull lots of mobs and kill them all with my great dps? How are they against elites?

Prot paladin here:

Regarding dailies/elites: It's close to impossible to die to elites/rares (personally I just stand in stuff for vengeance), and dailies do take a while longer, but it's still reasonably fast-paced.

Deleted
    If you take Second Wind as a Prot Warrior, purely for questing/dailies/elites, I don't think you'll ever really die if you're at 500+ ilvl. I used to solo Warbringers as Prot (I lie, I did play Prot a bit in MoP!) with ToT LFR gear... So no higher than 510 overall Ilvl and never died

You do have the ability to mass pull mobs and kill them before they kill you, if you're taking on too many mobs Shockwave always comes in handy

10+ Year Old Account
    All tanks are pretty bad for soloing stuff in a timely manner, too much of tank damage currently relies on vengeance. Vengeance has been nerfed so much that it is absurdly weak in anywhere outside of raid bosses now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

-What spec to play? I am adapt at all three.
    Go prot/arms, there won't be a problem to go to the dungeon or play solo. Mobs nowadays are pretty squishy. Any spec will do.
    -How to make money? While it's plenty of ways, I need to know a few that's secure income. I got blacksmithing and mining, but grinding isn't really my thing. I'm looking for ways to earn money while doing other things(Excluding quests)
    There won't be a problem to make money as well. As a warrior I would go Engeneering/Mining (Eng. for fun purposes) If you want to have huge income - JC.
    -Where to gear? I've heard of this timeless isle, but wouldn't I have to gear up fully there, then spend a couple of weeks in LFR in SoO to THEN at least be somewhat desireable for flex-raiders?
    A couple of days on the isle and you will have 496 item level, you can also farm honor(a lot of ways) to get 522 pvp gear (same item level bugdet as 522 pve gear)
    -What spec to PvP with?
    Arms pretty much destroys everything in PvP. At low level you can go prot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well then, a Tank is born. Marphas on Argent Dawn is me. \o
    Cheers for all help.

I wonder if any guilds will have me...

10+ Year Old Account
    Arms warrior would have worked as well...."Seasoned veteran" is part of the description.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seiken3 View Post
    But, given that I want to retire to just one character, I've decided to approach my 90 Warrior on Argent Dawn after some thinking. Given that Argent Dawn is an RP-server, I thought it'd be a nice idea to make my warrior exactly what I am. A veteran which was around since Stormwind was built(I'd like to share that I also played Warcraft, Warcraft2 + various of expansions of wc2, so.. yeah, I actually was around when it was built) but have grown tired over the years and just want to settle down somewhere.
    Just wanted to say that I like your idea, and wish you good luck in playing to character