Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

”Spoilers” Garrison info tweeted by Cory Stockton

”Spoilers” Garrison info tweeted by Cory Stockton

Since Garrisons are one of the WoD features I am really looking forward to. I decided to go look for a bit of information about them and found quite a few tweets from – Cory Stockton - Lead content designer on World of Warcraft. After careful consideration I decided to share what I found.

First a few warnings:
    - There could be potential spoilers in this
    - English is not my native language so spelling and grammatical errors might occur
    - This is not from an “official” release. It is my recap of tweeted snippets about Garrisons – It is not direct quotes – some are questions, which have been asked and answered with yes or no – I have then paraphrased them to be as informative as for it to fit my needs
    - I have gone through the tweets from Cory Stockton, which have been posted since Blizzcon to collect these snippets

- If you do not already know the basics of what Garrisons are about, then this might be very confusing to read
    - The information is in chronological order according to tweets with the newest information at the top of the list
    - Some of this information might become, or might already be obsolete or wrong
    - If you want to see the tweets for yourself, then I suggest you go and read through the tweets yourself

The information I found:
    - Size of Garrison at tier 3 about like Theramore
    - Size of Garrison at tier 1 about like Goldshire
    - All Garrison buildings are upgradable
    - All buildings will have spec choices at level 3 – plan is for 3 to choose from in each building

- Mage Tower spec available – City Portals – opens portals to every major city
    - Both The Stables and The Pet Stable will let you display your favorite pet/mount – starts with 5 upgrades to 10
    - The gathered materials from Garrisons will be able to be posted on the Auction House
    (Personal note: I am guessing this is the profession crafting materials gathered through the use of the Garrison)

- Moving The Garrison between zones will cost gold/time
    - The Garrison will allow you to gather without having the gathering profession
    - It is not meant to replace the professions, it is more of a bonus – The actual profession itself will offer more benefits
    - Your Garrison Blacksmith should be able to smelt for you

- The Storehouse - Will most likely link into the bank/void storage
    - Garrisons will have both an Inn and a Flight Path
    - Most followers will be Draenor locals
    - The Storehouse increases the capacity of you gathering buildings. For example, your Mine can collect 10% more ore

- A building in The Garrison can be moved, destroyed or replaced
    - Mage Tower – Grants bonus to spell casting followers and generates abilities you can use on missions
    - Nothing race specific, just alliance and horde Garrison styles
    - Current plan is to have a unique Garrison layout in each of the 7 zones

- They say that they are making great progress on the actual Garrison layouts in the zones. Lots of choices based on which zone you build in
    - Are considering being able to place guild banners
    - Followers can be sent out on missions from the Garrison, not from out in the world
    - The Garrison will have a Farm; however it is now an herb garden, which is directly tied into herbalism.

- We will get a free follower as part of the tutorial, not sure yet if it will be the same for everyone er randomized
    - The Barn – It will be used for gathering related to animals. Can choose meat, skins of cloth as specializations
    - The amount of followers you can use at one time will play into the overall system
    - Certainly more than 100 followers are planned overall (not sent out to missions at one time). Some will be unique, some will be randomized

- They want leveling a Garrison to tier three and be fully upgraded to be an investment. Will probably take months, not weeks (although this is not locked down yet)
    - Alts might get some kind of boost to leveling their Garrisons
    - They are looking to focus most of the followers from Draenor

- If you and a party member have Garrisons in the same place, then the party leaders Garrison will show up
    - In the Garrison the Farm/Fishing Shack are included in their building space (locked to the space) and won´t take up spots for professions (will not have to choose between profession or Farm/Fishing Shack). We will still have to unlock the Farm/Fishing Shack though
    - Professions will be a different ballgame in WoD, many changes in regards to Garrison interactions

- Frostfire Ridge (horde) and Shadow Moon Valley (alliance) are exclusive to Horde and Allience in regards to Garrisons. Remaining zones support Garrisons for both factions (not the pvp island)
    - Players will start building their Garrison at level 90, within the first couple of hours of gameplay
    - Gold cost – Garrisons are for everyone, not just the rich players

- Followers do not die permanently, they can resurrect and recover
    - No pvp in the Garrisons at launch. It´s an idea for the future though
    - You should be able to get lots of different races as followers
    - The Trading Post – Allows you to open “trade routes” with local races based on faction. Deliver a variety of rewards each week
    (Personal note: I am guessing that this is like the current rep dailies at the Tillers Farm

- The Academy – Main bonus is that it helps followers level faster
    - Sending followers on raids will give actual items, not just transmog items
    - Garrisons might not be a large gold sink – Most blueprints will not be on vendors – Some things might cost gold though, as well as some kind of Garrison specific currency
    - There will most likely be faction based restrictions on followers – Example might be Horde not getting human followers
    - Each character has their own Garrison
    - Sources for followers – Faction, gold, quests, dungeons (rare spawns) – all options!

I am anxiously awaiting Beta to tell us more about this feature

"Most followers will be Draenor locals" lends support to my theory that the first thing we do in the expansion is damage the Dark Portal and trap ourselves on this side with no backup, so I'm quite pleased to hear it.

Deleted
    An interesting read. I for one am looking forward to trying out garrsions, I just hope they don't make it so you don't actually have to play the game anymore, you just sit their and send your followers to do stuff.

Deleted
    Thanks very much for gathering all of this together!

Makes nice reading (I'm still a little salty over no account sharing though but that Horse has been beaten to death already).

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    "Most followers will be Draenor locals" lends support to my theory that the first thing we do in the expansion is damage the Dark Portal and trap ourselves on this side with no backup, so I'm quite pleased to hear it.
    It would be quite interesting if that was true, and once your character was in Draenor, it physically could not leave (in game) until the end heroic boss was completed and the story wrapped up :P

Quote Originally Posted by Joli View Post
    - Frostfire Ridge (horde) and Shadow Moon Valley (alliance) are exclusive to Horde and Allience in regards to Garrisons. Remaining zones support Garrisons for both factions (not the pvp island)
    Nooooo Shadowmoon Valley looks so cool, why'd they have to make it Alliance-only?

10+ Year Old Account
    As long as it isn't costly (a friend of mine said it was a 400,000+ gold investment, after hearing rumors), I'll be quite content.

Quote Originally Posted by Nekovivie View Post
    It would be quite interesting if that was true, and once your character was in Draenor, it physically could not leave (in game) until the end heroic boss was completed and the story wrapped up :P
    Sounds like very bad design. You wouldn't be able to go back to level up a profession and so on.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by delk View Post
    Nooooo Shadowmoon Valley looks so cool, why'd they have to make it Alliance-only?

Cause Blizzard favors the horde...... Er wait.....
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Joli View Post
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

y u do dis blizz!!! y u do dis @_@

how am i supposed to have a snowy garrison if the only snow zone is horde only @_@
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

y u do dis blizz!!! y u do dis @_@

how am i supposed to have a snowy garrison if the only snow zone is horde only @_@
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/shop/faction-change/

10+ Year Old Account
    Really annoyed we can't build our garrison in Shadowmoon Valley, that is exactly where I wanted to build mine . As much as I enjoy being Horde I absolutely cannot stand the more attractive areas and building styles that we miss out on.

10+ Year Old Account
    I probably bet most players will place his garrison in Talador since its pretty much in the middle of Draenor and it will be a huge vantage point for travelling purposes.

Just guessing...

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Awesome job. I'm looking forward to Garrisons even more now!! =)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by pharma View Post
    I probably bet most players will place his garrison in Talador since its pretty much in the middle of Draenor and it will be a huge vantage point for travelling purposes.

Just guessing...
    it depends on if they make Garrison benefits dependant on the zone it's in. I could really see them give certain zones a bonus for herbalism buildings, other zones a bonus for mining, yet other zones a bonus for crafting and/or trading, and so on.

I want to know about the phasing.

If I have a Garrison in, say, Shadowmoon Valley, and I walk into it, obviously, I see my Garrison. If I walk to where an ally Garrison COULD be in another zone, obviously I don't see mine. What DO I see?

What if I'm fighting a horde, and he boosts over to where the ally Garrison is. Can I follow? Do I phase? Do I only phase if it is my Garrison? Can I go fly to a place that is a horde Garrison in frostfire ridge and bask in impunity from horde attacks?

Quote Originally Posted by pharma View Post

Just guessing...
    I was gonna put mine there cuz it looks really pretty. =/

Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    And hopefully not be forced to go back to capital cities to use AH.

Quote Originally Posted by Verain View Post
    I want to know about the phasing.

If I have a Garrison in, say, Shadowmoon Valley, and I walk into it, obviously, I see my Garrison. If I walk to where an ally Garrison COULD be in another zone, obviously I don't see mine. What DO I see?
    Apparently you only see the Garrison of that person if he/she is in your group. If both of you have the Garrison in the same place, you'll see the group leader's one (I guess if none of you are the group leader and his is not there, you both will just see your own Garrisons).

What if I'm fighting a horde, and he boosts over to where the ally Garrison is. Can I follow? Do I phase? Do I only phase if it is my Garrison? Can I go fly to a place that is a horde Garrison in frostfire ridge and bask in impunity from horde attacks?
    If you see your group partner Garrison and the Horde character doesn't (obviously), you'll phase. Phasing works both ways, if you go to Frostfire, Horde players will be phased away from you in their Garrisons.

Overall, I don't think they'll put anything near Garrison plots to avoid people PvPing near them and getting screwed by phasing.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulwind View Post
    Apparently you only see the Garrison of that person if he/she is in your group. If both of you have the Garrison in the same place, you'll see the group leader's one (I guess if none of you are the group leader and his is not there, you both will just see your own Garrisons).

Not the question, though.

Ok, so, there will be several POTENTIAL places for Garrisons to be. I go to a place where an ally garrison could be placed (I'm ally in this example). Do I just see open grass or trees or whatever?

If you see your group partner Garrison and the Horde character doesn't (obviously), you'll phase.
    So he can hide from an ally whose Garrison is in Shadowmoon Valley by going into that area, and he can't be followed?

Phasing works both ways, if you go to Frostfire, Horde players will be phased away from you in their Garrisons.

Or at least the ones with Garrisons there. Interesting.