Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Strife? New MOBA by S2

Hello everyone!. I searched the forums but coudn't find anything about this game.

I haven't played it yet but, having played LoL and Dota2, I would love to try it out, even though it's made by the same guys who made HoN (I didn't really like HoN) but this one seems to be at least less of a Dota copy, they seem to be going "their own way" with their own philosophy, wanting a more "casual" game. Not sure if that is good or bad, but still worth a shot.

I love the art style, and that pet system looks pretty interesting imo. Asides from that I don´t see anything else that really stands out from other MOBA games though.

I´ll leave a couple of links below if you want to check it out, it´s currently in closed beta, so you can sign up for that if you want.

http://www.strife.com/
    http://strife.wikia.com/wiki/Strife_Wiki
    Also a video review from alpha by TotalBiscuit that pretty much sums up the details of the game :
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bdtE6kh5Uc

Feel free to discuss!... Also if you got a beta key and don´t want it, you could give it to someone who´s interested from this thread (if that´s allowed by the forum rules of course. If not, ignore this part :P).

Not really a genre I have been able to get into a whole lot, maybe due to the high skill requirements and expectations from the more established names.
    The simplification and more more beginner orientated format does look like a good way to go though, in contrary to many titles.
    Though I did get a little enjoyment out of smite, even if I wasn't quite up to the standards expected.
    I wouldn't mind a shot at that key if it still available.
    I have just put in my email anyway on their site.

Thank you for bringing this game to my attention, another to keep an eye on.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Unless the S2 team now consists of entirely new people I wouldn't go anywhere near this.

Just google for some of the many shady things that company did.

Quote Originally Posted by Sileh View Post
    Unless the S2 team now consists of entirely new people I wouldn't go anywhere near this.

Just google for some of the many shady things that company did.
    What a company does is not always down to lots of people, it can be as few as 1.
    Not a game I would likely spend money on anyway, due to the lack of need to from a unlocks point as it seems all heroes are unlocked by default, perhaps being more along the lines of cosmetics.

Clarification, I have spent nothing on any F2P titles recently, as there are only two I had sunk any considerable time into, neither of which I was happy with after certain directions they took. One is very much in flux yet, and another is looking more promising but would attract less of my time.

I will bear mind what you have said about the reputation, but is likely that I wouldn't be spending anything anyway.
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2014-02-24 at 11:15 PM.
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Deleted
    Does any one can share any beta key ? thank you quojin.

Probably give it a shot. Wish they didn't mess things up with hon. So much potential.

What differentiates this MOBA from all of the others?

10+ Year Old Account
    I remember watching some gameplay from totalbiscuit, it really didnt stand out as an interesting moba, looked like a more simplified version than LoL
    Cod has a new campaign, new weapons, new multiplayer levels every year. Zelda has been recycling the same weapons, villains, and dungeons since the 80's. Zelda recycles enough to make cod blush. The same weapons, villains, dungeons, and princess in every single Zelda for the most part. It's almost as cheesy as bowser vs Mario round 35

Quote Originally Posted by barackopala View Post
    I remember watching some gameplay from totalbiscuit, it really didnt stand out as an interesting moba, looked like a more simplified version than LoL
    I don't think it looks dumbed down. I'm in the closed beta and I can say it's a mix from LoL and Dota. It's not simpler but it's different. It has elements of both games but not all but also has some elements of his own.

Curse are giving away beta keys.
    http://www.curse.com/betas/strife-beta-key-giveaway

After Dota-ripoff, now they present lol-ripoff. Well, fuck S2.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    Producing anything in that genre is going to draw comparisons.
    But then again are there many games nowadays you can call totally original ?
    Very few, if any at all could be called that if you look hard enough for others.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    You are kinda right, tho. Here is a picture of Lady Tinder a support champion. There is no denying she's inspired on LoL's champion, Zyra.

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    Producing anything in that genre is going to draw comparisons.
    But then again are there many games nowadays you can call totally original ?
    Very few, if any at all could be called that if you look hard enough for others.
    I don't like LoL but they didn't entirely ripoff DotA. They just took the idea. What S2 does is nothing more than copy/paste. I will avoid their future games.

Look at the game in video.

Grass vision: copy/paste
    Cartoony graphics: copy/paste
    GUI: copy/paste
    Dumping down design philosophy: copy/paste
    Even the map is fucking copy paste...Look at the grass placement in video. At first, I thought I was watching LoL...

I am guessing that S2 is being lead by unimaginative and lazy people. Attempts like these should fail. Community should deny such lazy-ass productions.

0/10
    Last edited by Kuntantee; 2014-03-16 at 12:13 AM.

Game is fun and all.. it suffers from the same issue that I always tend to find in game of this genre though: "Why am I playing this when I can be playing Dota2\LoL which are finished products with better quality (as of this very moment)?" - and I quit the game and proceed to one of the above, which I have fun in.

Kudos for the effort though, seems to be quite nicely done for what and from whom it is.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoukan View Post
    You are kinda right, tho. Here is a picture of Lady Tinder a support champion. There is no denying she's inspired on LoL's champion, Zyra.

I disagree...this would mean no other game can EVER make another character based on a plant. Also...would you imply by your logic Zyra is a ripoff of Poison Ivy (or what's her name from Batman)?

This character is obviously plant-based, but almost none of her abilities are even remotely similar to Zyra's.

While HoN was clearly an upgrade from DoTA because of the graphics. Strife is just a dumb down LoL (LoL being already a dumb down DoTA with different graphics)

Played a bit and felt the game was kinda bad. Pretty generic feeling.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Played a bit and felt the game was kinda bad. Pretty generic feeling.
    I get this same feeling when I play sadly. They advertise it as a Second-Generation MOBA but I really don't feel anything has evolved in the game from anything that is out right now. Heck Heroes of the Storm has more innovation to it with the talent system and the new maps. I played two matches, got MVP in both and won, and then went back to playing Smite. Enjoyed myself a lot more.

I played the Cloud Queen character (totally can't remember her name) and the pirate. Both characters felt WAY too simple, I mean just absurdly simple. None of their abilities were really all that interesting, nor did I see any mechanics that really stuck out at me. In addition, I had the worst connection issues...neither of my two games had full teams on both sides at any point and I had a lot of stuttering as I played. Will probably not be returning I'm sad to say.
    “The rains have ceased, and we have been graced with another beautiful day. But you are not here to see it.”