Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by FemaleGoblinMage View Post
    Just say you maximize profit which is the truth. By saying "We gave a value of $60 to levelling to 90" you insult gaming in whole, not just computer gaming. You can not put value in gaming or sports, they are on a plane of their own.

Besides, even if you could put value to it, which you can't, it's totally relative. e.g. the rich kids will find it peanuts anyway. A poor kid from the indian slumps will find it a fortune.

So stop the hypocrisy and call it maximizing profit (or don't call it at all).
    http://24.media.tumblr.com/9341c9f81...a5zwo1_500.gif

Infracted, post constructively.
    Last edited by Lochton; 2014-02-26 at 02:52 PM.

$60 is a perfectly reasonable price when you think about WHY they're even adding this as a purchaseable feature. Blizzard wants to give us each ONE free boost with WoD. But this means that some people will buy new accounts and new copies of WoD to get more 90s. Rather than having people doing that as a work around, and adding multiple/dummy accounts, they're just adding the option to the store for those few that would be buying a lot of them anyway. If this was a greed thing I would think that blizzard would simply not add it, as they will make more than 60 dollars buy having people buy WoW, buy MoP, buy WoD and possibly pay for a character transfer to their main account after using the boost. They want to avoid people doing that so they offer it for 60 dollars. Expensive enough so that not too many people will be doing it (they don't WANT a lot of people using this feature, if they did it would be cheaper) but still cheap enough to be better than doing the indirect method and inflating their sales numbers of copies of WoW/WoD sold.

As for those bringing up ESO enjoy that while it lasts, with them adding one of the franchises' core races behind a collector's eddition extra cost I wouldn't expect to find any less greed there than you find with blizzard.

I'm more surprised people are upset about the pricing rather than the feature existing in the first place, as opposed to them investing in a much better leveling experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzo View Post
    Well, we get a free one, right?

I'd feel more entitled to buy one if we didn't

Then again, I'm the guy who buys everything.
    was actually aiming that to the author of the thread
    i am just amazed by the things that get ppl angry/insulted etc

Quote Originally Posted by Malzra View Post
    $60 is a perfectly reasonable price when you think about WHY they're even adding this as a purchaseable feature. Blizzard wants to give us each ONE free boost with WoD. But this means that some people will buy new accounts and new copies of WoD to get more 90s. Rather than having people doing that as a work around, and adding multiple/dummy accounts, they're just adding the option to the store for those few that would be buying a lot of them anyway. If this was a greed thing I would think that blizzard would simply not add it, as they will make more than 60 dollars buy having people buy WoW, buy MoP, buy WoD and possibly pay for a character transfer to their main account after using the boost. They want to avoid people doing that so they offer it for 60 dollars. Expensive enough so that not too many people will be doing it (they don't WANT a lot of people using this feature, if they did it would be cheaper) but still cheap enough to be better than doing the indirect method and inflating their sales numbers of copies of WoW/WoD sold.

As for those bringing up ESO enjoy that while it lasts, with them adding one of the franchises' core races behind a collector's eddition extra cost I wouldn't expect to find any less greed there than you find with blizzard.
    So rather than blocking the transfer of the boosted characters between accounts, and subsequently closing the other account, they decided to make it EASIER. It wasn't a "oh no there is nothing we can do" scenario, they could have easily disallowed the transfer of boosted 90s between accounts, which would force people to keep each account open if they wanted to use the character, rather than just xfer it and close the account.

People use bots too, why does Blizzard ban botting when they will just make new bots? rather Blizzard should make their own paid farming and BG bots. Right? I mean, stopping something is pointless, why not just profit off it?

Deleted
    If they didnt wanted to devalue the achievement of reaching lvl 90 then they shouldn't value it to begin with. What I'm going to say next may sound laughable to some but there are things in gaming people like to keep kind of "sacred" as in unchanged, not messed with, not used for anything else than it was originally designed for. Leveling is one of those things. It simply feels wrong to wage your way through level and know that you can simply buy your way through it, regardless whether it is cheap or not. It's like selling tickets to attend church. It's just wrong.

OP is disgusted? Really? DISGUSTED? You are aware, that you get a FREE 90 boost with the expansion right? You get that right? So you buy WoD for $60 and they give you a service valued at $60. If you need more 90s, pay or play. OP reeks of entitlement.

Quote Originally Posted by Giscoicus View Post
    So rather than blocking the transfer of the boosted characters between accounts, and subsequently closing the other account, they decided to make it EASIER. It wasn't a "oh no there is nothing we can do" scenario, they could have easily disallowed the transfer of boosted 90s between accounts, which would force people to keep each account open if they wanted to use the character, rather than just xfer it and close the account.

People use bots too, why does Blizzard ban botting when they will just make new bots? rather Blizzard should make their own paid farming and BG bots. Right? I mean, stopping something is pointless, why not just profit off it?
    Because botting is cheating. And by this arguement the greeding thing for blizzard to do would be just as you suggest. Make people support multiple acocunts. You want two boosted characters? Not only do you have to fork over 80 or so bucks for new version of the game upgraded all the way to WoD, but you have to pay an extra 15 bucks a month, you lose all your store mounts and pets so if you want those you'll have to pay even more of course. It woudl also just be a dick move because you'll have to keep playing the game to re earn all those mounts and titles from achievmeents you liked so much.

If they were trying to maximize profits it would be a lower price. It's set that high as a deterrent from being over used, not because 60 dollars is the price that they think will earn the most money for them.

Quote Originally Posted by FemaleGoblinMage View Post
    Just say you maximize profit which is the truth.
    It is not, as he explains one sentence above the one you are referring to.

By saying "We gave a value of $60 to levelling to 90" you insult gaming in whole, not just computer gaming. You can not put value in gaming or sports, they are on a plane of their own.
    I do not feel insulted. I think it's you. And of course you can put a value on gaming. You can put a value on anything. Not saying this is the correct value, but saying it's impossible is just nonsense. If you determine value based on your hourly wage, then this will be ridiculously low, but that's not what they do. It's cheaper then the alternative (buy account + WoD + transfer char) and it's high enough to deter most people from buying a boost, thus keeping the value of leveling yourself at a good point.

Besides, even if you could put value to it, which you can't, it's totally relative. e.g. the rich kids will find it peanuts anyway. A poor kid from the indian slumps will find it a fortune.
    Yes, value is ALWAYS relative. You act like it's something unique for gaming or something. What is cheap for me, is expensive for someone else. What I think is worth my money, others find ridiculous.

So stop the hypocrisy and call it maximizing profit (or don't call it at all).
    Why do you want them to lie?

Quote Originally Posted by Dzudzadzo View Post
    If they didnt wanted to devalue the achievement of reaching lvl 90 then they shouldn't value it to begin with. What I'm going to say next may sound laughable to some but there are things in gaming people like to keep kind of "sacred" as in unchanged, not messed with, not used for anything else than it was originally designed for. Leveling is one of those things. It simply feels wrong to wage your way through level and know that you can simply buy your way through it, regardless whether it is cheap or not. It's like selling tickets to attend church. It's just wrong.
    I can see where you're coming from, but I agree with their reasons for it because it has the following uses. People returning to the game don't have to slug through now irrelevant and trivial content just to get to the new and relevant stuff. People returning to the game can catch up to 90 for WoD and play with their friends again right away, or if their friends have moved to another server or faction, they can make a new character there and boost it to play with them right away. The price keeps people from just casually throwing money at the system so they can have a 90 of every class. It's a move to try and bring in players that have left the game or new players who don't want to go through old content to get to the shiny new stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Giscoicus View Post

Piss poor analogy. Blizzard doesn't profit off bots, or at least, not all of them. Many (I don't have metrics for how many, but quite a few, I expect) are compromised accounts paid for by stolen credit cards, so Blizzard will most likely get charged back on them.

Blizzard, however, does profit off of people circumventing the "one free 90 with WoD," even if people circumvent the "one free" by buying a second copy of WoW and transferring the character. They actually profit more if they just let people circumvent it, even assuming MoP will be part of the battle chest. $20 (Battle Chest) + $40 (WoD) + $25 (Character Transfer.)

Blizzard isn't going to destroy a revenue stream that doesn't negatively effect anyone. Hell, they're even taking a hit on profit by streamlining it.

3DS Friend Code: 0146-9205-4817. Could show as either Chris or Chrysia.

Haha sucks for all you guys that are actually buying a 90, I hope they raise the price.

1.Make part of your game so boring ppl would pay to skip it
    2.Charge price of whole new game for it
    3.People have no money for other games so they stick with wow
    4.?????
    5.Profit

Blizz is fucking geniuses. You might say that cash shop is bad and whatever you say, BUT, making profit out of how bad your lvling proces is AND having mindless drones defend you is just PURE EVIL GENIUS.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by makak View Post
    1.Make part of your game so boring ppl would pay to skip it
    2.Charge price of whole new game for it
    3.People have no money for other games so they stick with wow
    4.?????
    5.Profit

Blizz is fucking geniuses. You might say that cash shop is bad and whatever you say, BUT, making profit out of how bad your lvling proces is AND having mindless drones defend you is just PURE EVIL GENIUS.
    Another example of the typical conspiracy theory mindset. I bet you're one of those people who think the government can make cars run on water, but they keep it secret for the sake of "profit".
    "In life, I was raised to hate the undead. Trained to destroy them. When I became Forsaken, I hated myself most of all. But now I see it is the Alliance that fosters this malice. The human kingdoms shun their former brothers and sisters because we remind them what's lurking beneath the facade of flesh. It's time to end their cycle of hatred. The Alliance deserves to fall." - Lilian Voss

10+ Year Old Account
    The price to instant-90 couldn't matter less to me: I wasn't going to do it even if it was $5. That said, I somewhat agree with the OP. Blizz is trying to cash in on a new feature, and trying to advertise its value in a way not everyone, maybe even most of their playerbase, agrees with. $60 is four months of gametime, so they're comparing the "value" of getting one person to 90 to the "value" of four months of play. I (quite literally) don't buy it.

Not to say the instant-90 is a dumb idea (though not for me personally). That particular way of "selling" it just wasn't very well thought-out.

10+ Year Old Account

Thread has been locked, there is already a thread of same topic active. Reasons behind disguest at 60 for lvl 90 chars.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..