Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    I wouldn't speak to someone wearing them until they took em off, much like I don't talk to people looking at their phones.

Deleted
    Good, it sounds like she was going on like an drunk arrogant showoff with an expensive new toy. She didnt listen to advice from several people so she deserved having it robbed off her.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Oktoberfest View Post
    Yep.

Google glasses are going to be a nightmare for privacy. I hate to say it but I HOPE people become afraid to use them. I hope more businesses ban them.
    Like todays society is not a nightmare? Everyone in the west have a fucking smart phone in their pocket?! Afraid of technology, how cute.

Quote Originally Posted by Redkin View Post
    Like todays society is not a nightmare? Everyone in the west have a fucking smart phone in their pocket?! Afraid of technology, how cute.
    How can "afraid of privacy violation" magically translates into "afraid of technology" ?

Deleted
    Imo she asked for it.
    Exactly, rich people are making hell for poorer people in SF. They are starting to defend themselves, by stealing their stuff.

Ah, the 80s cyberpunk novels prophesied divide between humans caused by technology is becoming true! Pity they didnt manage to predict the clothing and music correctly *disappointed*

On the assault, its sad... On the other hand bar fights are quite common, people get into fights for looking at someone in an odd way, this is just a novelty thus got attention.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    How can "afraid of privacy violation" magically translates into "afraid of technology" ?
    Same way that
    "Color me unsurprised that pointing your $1500 faceputer/camera around a dive bar at last call might start some trouble"
    translates to
    "I think it should be legal to rob and beat the shit out of anyone wearing Google Glass".

Poor reading comprehension, limited capacity to see shades other than black or white, and/or excellent strawman construction skills.

10+ Year Old Account
    You must have a very selective view of what is said then, because I see people openly say it's okay to have people recording your every act as soon as you leave your home.
    The way you just phrased that, you are describing a stalker. There is a difference between someone setting up shop and recording people in a specific area, vs a person following you from your door step to where ever you are going and recording you the whole way.

I see no problem with a person snapping pictures of passer-bys or recording pedestrian traffic in an area or recording the happenings in a public establishment. By law, they are free to do so. But you also have the right to ask them to not record you if it makes you uncomfortable.

As for privacy, eh i'm not concerned. If someone wants to put a video of me on youtube showing me rocking out in my car and looking like a fool, then so be it. I am doing this in public view, I am not ashamed or I wouldn't be doing it in the first place.

Don't do things you would be ashamed of in public and you have nothing to fear about privacy. Save your private acts, for when you are in your own privacy.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    It shouldn't be. Unless you're wanting to claim that this is a distraction

Whereas this isn't.

The distinction is completely nonsensical. Both are being projected into your viewing field.

Whatever that second image was. It has my virus scan going off like crazy.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

xsadaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    Take the glasses out of the equation. She was attacked for going to a dive bar with a video recorder and filming everyone.

You must have a very selective view of what is said then, because I see people openly say it's okay to have people recording your every act as soon as you leave your home.
    And see, expecting the contrary would be an unrealistic expectation of privacy.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

10+ Year Old Account
    Yep.

Google glasses are going to be a nightmare for privacy. I hate to say it but I HOPE people become afraid to use them. I hope more businesses ban them.
    What is your definition of Privacy?

Mine would be, anything done in my home, is private. Anything outside of my home, is public domain and no longer private.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Baar View Post
    Whatever that second image was. It has my virus scan going off like crazy.
    It was a picture of BMW's new HUD thingy showing speed, driving directions, etc. Here's a different one.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

The distinction is completely nonsensical. Both are being projected into your viewing field.
    Different focus and area.
    The HUD doesnt interfere with you looking at the road, the glasses would as you have to change focus to a tiny area that isnt even really in front of your eyes but slightly above.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    The way you just phrased that, you are describing a stalker. There is a difference between someone setting up shop and recording people in a specific area, vs a person following you from your door step to where ever you are going and recording you the whole way.
    In a society which has the technological means to decrypt and store such huge amount of data as ours, the violation of privacy happens in both case.
    There is countless studies showing how easy it is to track someone from spare bits of data, and if you followed the Snowden case, you know it's not just paranoid theories anymore.
    I see no problem with a person snapping pictures of passer-bys or recording pedestrian traffic in an area or recording the happenings in a public establishment. By law, they are free to do so. But you also have the right to ask them to not record you if it makes you uncomfortable.
    It's free only because your society seems to have no concept of privacy. Hopefully, more civilized ones DO make it illegal to randomly get private informations about passerby.
    Pointing a big failure of your legal system doesn't suddendly makes ignoring privacy ethically okay.
    As for privacy, eh i'm not concerned.
    You just summed up the entire problem. People are too blind, dumb and careless to be concerned with privacy - until the shit hits the fan of course, but at that time it's a bit too late to suddendly realize it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurioxan View Post
    Different focus and area.
    The HUD doesnt interfere with you looking at the road, the glasses would as you have to change focus to a tiny area that isnt even really in front of your eyes but slightly above.
    You don't change focus. That's one of the neat aspects of it. This isn't a screen like you're thinking it is.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

People are worried of being recorded for one of two reasons, being caught doing something they know they shouldn't or apparently out of fear of recording an embarrassing incident and being laughed at on the youtubes. To the former i would quote Liar Liar and say stop breaking the law asshole. To the latter, especially to the one who said, "The last thing you want is to be laughed at on YouTube" all I can say is grow up and learn to be well adjusted.

In a society with nearly monthly public shootings and religious zealots who want to blow themselves up to kill as many innocents they can and incurable fatal medical conditions, the last thing you want is someone to laugh at you. Just seems unfeasible to me. Especially with the notion that guns don't kill people, people do. Yet ban Google glass because people don't record people, Google glass does.

10+ Year Old Account
    People wondering where in your vision field google Glass is, ever played halo? Notice how your ammo is in the upper left corner? Bring that a little closer to the center of your vision and that's basically how it looks.

...OMG. Could you imagine having an Airsoft gun that tracked how many pellets you had and linked with your Google Glass

/drool

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    People wondering where in your vision field google Glass is, ever played halo? Notice how your ammo is in the upper left corner? Bring that a little closer to the center of your vision and that's basically how it looks.

...OMG. Could you imagine having an Airsoft gun that tracked how many pellets you had and linked with your Google Glass

/drool
    that would be fun, i just count them :P use 30bb mags so conserving ammo and counting is something you learn real fast to do :P

- - - Updated - - -

You don't change focus. That's one of the neat aspects of it. This isn't a screen like you're thinking it is.
    Hmm, fair enough, i say this as never having used it before, will have to experiment with it someday