Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Not many people know the law governing taking pictures out in public. You are legally allowed to take anyone's picture out in public in the US without their consent. Germany on the other hand has a law making it so you aren't allowed to take pictures in public of people. Here is the laws in US about taking pictures in public.
    https://www.aclu.org/free-speech/kno...-photographers

Deleted
    She was the victim of a mugging.
    Unsurprising really when your sporting upwards of $1000 of head gear.
    imo Googleglass should have some sort of inbuilt GPS tracking system that can not be disabled so that they can always be found.
    would also be nice to be able to give anyone who is not the authorised user subliminal messages to return them, but that is just wishfull thinking

Quote Originally Posted by Tastyfish View Post
    Lol no.
    It's backlash from the tech companies who moved into SF, being precieved as ruining the city. It's not fear of tech, it's hate of what the company has done to their home.
    Which is odd, considering Google is the best tech employer one could ever have a wet dream in hopes of working for.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    Many petrol stations do sell propane gas tanks, so it will not be as funny as you think.
    Maybe that's why we call it gas. Gasoline, Propane Gas, Diesel, 2 out of 3 products can be called "Gas" whereas in a petrol station only 1 out of 3 products can be called petrol.

You are legally allowed to take anyone's picture out in public in the US without their consent.
    Wouldn't the inside of the bar be considered private property?

Currently playing Borderlands 1 remaster. Amped for Borderlands 3.
    Add me on the PSN for jolly-cooperation @ PuppetShoJustice

"They started rolling their eyes at me and they tried to shield themselves from the Glass because they thought it was recording them, which it wasn't," Slocum told The Chronicle in an interview Tuesday. "Out of the blue, one of the girls turned around and completely flipped me off. At that point, I was like, 'Holy crap, I'm the target of their anger and hatred.' "

Slocum said that while she was not recording footage initially, she turned on the camera after she felt threatened.

Taken from the sfgate web...thing.

Did not have it on initially , just showed it to friends (hey look at the new toy I got) other patrons saw it and started to make an issue of it , THEN she turned it on after things started to go bad (think police "on body" camera ) THEN got mugged .

There is currently a massive "anti techie backlash" going on in S.F. over rent prices going up , Food prices going up($10 toast at some foo foo places) , old old businesses going out of business after ...xxx number of years , Gentrification of old SF neighborhoods , "less fortunate residents being pushed out by rising prices , "Google buses" etc and this is just one more incident going along with this.

SF wants money that the techies are bringing in and spend but ...it doesn't want the techies... is how I see it.

I am sure Texas will be happy to take the money .

TO the people asking about filming and picture rights on private property ...

Taken from the ACLU site ...

When you are on private property, the property owner may set rules about the taking of photographs. If you disobey the property owner's rules, they can order you off their property (and have you arrested for trespassing if you do not comply).

So it is up to the OWNER to set the rules , not the patrons ...to boil it down.
    Last edited by enragedgorilla; 2014-02-26 at 06:04 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kisho View Post
    You can sympathise with people who harassed, assaulted, and robbed a woman because she's using something you don't approve of? That's all kinds of awful.

There's nothing wrong with Google Glass. If you're worried about being recorded, you should've gotten up in arms before CCTV became a thing in most stores and streets. Or maybe before smart phones became so popular.

This story is about a bunch of hateful technophobes viciously assaulting a woman who had done nothing wrong whatsoever. Why is the thread only talking about how Google Glass is terrible, rather than the actual issue: hateful, ignorant fools taking their anger out on someone who doesn't deserve it?
    CCTV isnt used in bathrooms and showers

Quote Originally Posted by PuppetShowJustice View Post
    No it wouldn't since it's still public. A mall is considered private but is protected under taking pictures in public. The person who owns the establishment has the right to deny you service though if they don't like it.

Quote Originally Posted by PuppetShowJustice View Post
    It's privately owned property that is publicly accessible wherein one has no reasonable expectation of privacy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Which is odd, considering Google is the best tech employer one could ever have a wet dream in hopes of working for.
    Well they have busses, that cut off public transportation stops and prevent people from using it to get their workes to their jobs, they get fined 1 buck every time they do it, where you or I would get 250+ fine.
    The rent has gone up, people are being evicted yadda yadda...
    some of the younger company CEOs like to talk about how the non tech people in SF are trash and must be removed, just a lot of spoiled 20 something brat drama.

Everything has been gentrified, everything is more expensive, to the point of being stupid, so people are mad. Everyone who was like Middle ground in earning that could scrape buy is either now back to living with roomies or out in oakland, so it's seen as pushing everyone out to create a new Silicon valley nexus.
    Last edited by Tastyfish; 2014-02-26 at 06:00 PM.
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

10+ Year Old Account
    If I went to a pub in somewhere like Tower Hamlets, and started filming the locals on the latest expensive high-tech gadget, it would be more of a surprise if I didn't get robbed.

Google Douche off to a great start.

10+ Year Old Account
    Google glasses are so stupid lol Though she shouldn't have been punched for showing it off to her friends. Ah well you there's scumbags everywhere in this world. What can you do eh

10+ Year Old Account
    Slocum reportedly has video of her assailant on her Google Glass and has turned it over to police.
    At least they work :P

But, yeah. Google should have stopped halfway when brainstorming features of these glasses. Remove the recording ability, and I'd embrace them. As is, though, it is just too much.

Of course, attacking someone just for wearing them is fucking moronic, so I hope charges are pressed.
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by artemishunter1 View Post
    Why not? Did not someone violate my space? Privacy.
    Yeah because talking to people and telling them to delete it, is no option.

Friendly advise right here, never visit public places or you have to knock down too much people.

10+ Year Old Account
    You're punch worthy for walking into a bathroom with a video recorder running too in my book.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bathory View Post
    I'm surprised so many people are ok with this. That's like assaulting someone because they brought a camera to a bar and decided to take some pictures.

I'm surprised you think 6 people posting before you is "so many people". Not to mention how non of them said it was ok.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    It's privately owned property that is publicly accessible wherein one has no reasonable expectation of privacy.
    But the pivately owned property already has rules such as not using cell phones, taking pictures etc.. Would not that guarentee expectation of privacy?

Quote Originally Posted by Collegeguy View Post
    You're punch worthy for walking into a bathroom with a video recorder running too in my book.
    You do realize hidden cameras, that are easily concealable to the point that you could walk into a bathroom without anybody ever noticing have been around since the late 90s? The lenses are the size of a button hole, and the electronics can just be splayed out and taped to the inside of clothing. They also only cost about 20 bucks, so anybody of any income level can afford to start recording people in the bathroom.

At least if somebody is using google glass to record, you can see the google glass. The guy who is out to take a video of your wang, you would never be able to see it coming.

RIDICULOUS TECH PARANOIA. This is "Devil wagons" all over again.

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    You do realize hidden cameras, that are easily concealable to the point that you could walk into a bathroom without anybody ever noticing have been around since the late 90s? The lenses are the size of a button hole, and the electronics can just be splayed out and taped to the inside of clothing. They also only cost about 20 bucks, so anybody of any income level can afford to start recording people in the bathroom.

At least if somebody is using google glass to record, you can see the google glass. The guy who is out to take a video of your wang, you would never be able to see it coming.

RIDICULOUS TECH PARANOIA. This is "Devil wagons" all over again.
    Then are you saying taking google glass into bathroom is not punchworthy? The person will hidden camera in bathroom is equally punchworthy if discovered.