Deleted

Any advice on changing server in order to raid?

I'm on a fairly dead server (RP-PVE, ranked about 20th from the bottom in the EU for raid progress) with no mention so far of any virtual realm merger. Now that my guild has fallen apart, stopping raiding (we got to 9/14 in a few weeks when SoO came out then imploded), I am thinking of changing server to try to find a raiding guild. However, I have no idea about the best way to pick a replacement server - any advice or tips or experiences people can share?

I'm a competent tank but casual - I think heroic raids are probably beyond my skill - whereas most of the guilds recruiting on the sub-forum on this site seem to be more serious. At the moment, I am a weekend raider (only able to raid Fri, Sat or Sun), although that may change after September.

My son came back to wow and made a character on a highly populated EU server, walking into a raid slot in a guild starting to progress on SoO, so I know it is possible. But the cost of moving, broadly defined (I have about 10 alts and some online friends I'd have to leave behind) is making me cautious about leaping in.

Thanks for any advice!

You might try out guilds via the real id raid invite dealy. It'd save you a bunch of money and you can check out their server population in zones as well as see a raid with them before committing.

Also you can always just browse the blizzard guild page where people post what they're looking for. It'll actually be a broader sample size and such since more people are going there then MMO-Champ.

I've been in a similar situation before. When I finally decided that my previous servers were just too painful to be on, I did one of the following things:
    -I transferred to a new server in order to find a raiding guild. However, this works best if you are planning to transfer to a high/full population server.
    -Looking on the guild recruitment section on Blizzard's forums worked for me also. Once I found a guild this way, I transferred to that server. This didn't end up working as well as the first option did, though.
    Retired WOW player
    Currently Playing: Final Fantasy 14

Deleted
    you could analyze the information from realmpop and choose a server there

10+ Year Old Account
    Advice: Stay away from PvP servers. They've been a mess since cross realm zones and the mergers have made it worse. If I didnt have three toons on mine I'd leave in a heartbeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Thneed View Post
    Advice: Stay away from PvP servers. They've been a mess since cross realm zones and the mergers have made it worse. If I didnt have three toons on mine I'd leave in a heartbeat.
    Majority of good guilds are on PvP servers. Whether the server be RP, PvP or PvE should have no impact on your decision in moving to improve your raiding.

if youre not interested in heroics then just stay where you are since you can xrealm normal and below in wod. But if you want to raid now just maybe transfer one toon to a populated realm

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by xcess View Post
    if youre not interested in heroics then just stay where you are since you can xrealm normal and below in wod.
    Ah, I didn't know that - thanks. There is something about raiding with a guild that's very different from a oqueue/openraid/other raid PUG xrealm type affair - trust, patience, friendship and friendliness etc. So I am not sure xrealm will be the solution. A realm merger is what I've been hoping for, but no sign of it so far.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by econ21 View Post
    I'm on a fairly dead server (RP-PVE, ranked about 20th from the bottom in the EU for raid progress) with no mention so far of any virtual realm merger. Now that my guild has fallen apart, stopping raiding (we got to 9/14 in a few weeks when SoO came out then imploded), I am thinking of changing server to try to find a raiding guild. However, I have no idea about the best way to pick a replacement server - any advice or tips or experiences people can share?

I'm a competent tank but casual - I think heroic raids are probably beyond my skill - whereas most of the guilds recruiting on the sub-forum on this site seem to be more serious. At the moment, I am a weekend raider (only able to raid Fri, Sat or Sun), although that may change after September.

My son came back to wow and made a character on a highly populated EU server, walking into a raid slot in a guild starting to progress on SoO, so I know it is possible. But the cost of moving, broadly defined (I have about 10 alts and some online friends I'd have to leave behind) is making me cautious about leaping in.

Thanks for any advice!
    Analyze and choose a high pop server, queues don't matter in this decision, transfer main. Then gradually transfer the rest, if you really need all.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

10+ Year Old Account
    Make sure you choose a good server before you transfer. Do some research. Making a mistake can be quite expensive.

A couple of things I would add, hopefully you find them helpful...

Don't be put off by the fact it seems like a lot of guilds on the forums have high progress, there are more casual guilds looking for people also hanging out there - make a thread with the title something like "Tank LF casual weekend raiding guild" put your little description of what you are looking for, and what you have to offer and see what bites you get!

Also don't think too hard about avoiding heroic raiding, certainly the first 8 heroics are not hugely demanding for a lot of guilds anymore, and for instance you might find a guild with 14/14 normal looking to go into heroics - you can try them out and see how you go, but don't put yourself down too fast before you tried it!

Just be aware if you join a server like Kazzak EU, you will hit queues at peak times, and while it's currently the quiet season, you can expect them to be 45 mins - 2 hours during new tier starts for the first couple of months, and during expansion starts you will find questing a delight of fighting tooth and nail for every mob tag, and playing with a slideshow between disconnects Having said that it is an awesome server to be part of if you love being able to choose from about 200-300+ active raiding guilds.

My main is currently on Tarren Mill EU due to a lack of recruiting late night guilds at the time i needed, which is a med. pop server, it has no queues, a decent choice of active guilds and seems nice enough. Personally I prefer Kazzak, but a server like this would be a good choice of you want something less crazy.

I would really recommend you try and find an established weekend guild though, on a not-too-dead server, rather than move server, and find there are no weekend guilds! You can always log onto the guild you are interested ins server at peak time, and see who is in the cities, and how full the AH is, whats going on in trade chat - that should give you an idea of the activity there

Good luck with the guild / server hunt!

Quote Originally Posted by Glurp View Post
    Majority of good guilds are on PvP servers. Whether the server be RP, PvP or PvE should have no impact on your decision in moving to improve your raiding.
    If it impacts Quality of Life negatively that can impact whether a stay in a guild is a positive or negative experience.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thneed View Post
    Illidan
    Mal'ganis
    Bleeding Hallow

Just some of the more populated PvP servers with a strong raiding community. And they have such a high population that they don't need to be merged.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Okay View Post
    Illidan
    Mal'ganis
    Bleeding Hallow

Just some of the more populated PvP servers with a strong raiding community. And they have such a high population that they don't need to be merged.
    Im pretty sure those are US realms and he is playing on EU.
    id say go on a populated realm, silvermoon EU is great but the only problem is the queue.

10+ Year Old Account
    I actually just done quite apposite - i moved from Silvermoon EU (overpopulated server) to Stormrage (free character transfer) just to join guild and raid.

So my advice would be start by searching a suitable guild for you. Its quite time consuming but you should got thru realm forums and try find weekend raiding guild with your level of progression. There is not only one like that for sure, just have to do some searching

15+ Year Old Account
    I'd say, start by looking for guilds that raid when you are able, and then find out what their goals and intentions are; I transferred last year from a low pop RP server to a mid-pop normal server, and I found a great guild that matched my skill level and schedule perfectly, not to mention the fact that they are a fun, helpful bunch. Good luck, I hope you can find a good fit.
    "Can't you see this is the last act of a desperate man?"
    "We don't care if it's the first act of Henry the Fifth, we're leaving!"