Questions from a returning player

Hi everyone,

I haven't played Diablo 3 in more than a year, and decided to try out the new 2.0. I really like the changes, but there are a few things I'm a bit confused about so maybe you can help me out. Here's a list of questions I have so far.

1. Sometimes I get an item I cannot equip for no reason. This happens often with quest rewards, but also with items I loot. There is a lock displayed on the icon and I cannot equip it, but the item has no requirements I do not fulfill (like level or class). Any idea what might be the problem?

2. I wanted to try out some crafting, having a lot of (blue, 2x yellow) crafting materials from before. However, I found out I need a new "white" material that I can get from white items. The problem is, there are hardly any white items dropping. What's the supposed route to take for this? Should I make a new low-level character and farm white items? Or can I get the white material somewhere else?

3. As far as I can see, the boss kill achivements have been reset, and there are no longer difficulty-specific achievements (i.e. killing Skeleton King on easy gives the same achievement as in Torment). Does anyone know why they did this (both parts)?

4. The new difficulty system seems a bit weird. From what I understand is that all difficulties drop exactly the same items (at least at level 60) - is that correct? Also, I'm a bit at a loss which difficulty I should play in. I never played with Paragon levels or Monster Power; before I quit I was doing well in (old) Inferno Act I but could not kill Belial in Act II. I played a bit in Torment I, after half an hour I had replaced half of my gear, but everything seems really easy. Some mobs take a bit longer to kill, but I never died through the whole Act I.
    So my question is, what difficulty should I play (or try out) with low Paragon level and my kind of experience / gear? I like challenges but found the old Inferno difficulty way too hard.

Thanks for some input guys. For reference, my character: http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/T...563/hero/86798

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalur View Post
    Hi everyone,

I haven't played Diablo 3 in more than a year, and decided to try out the new 2.0. I really like the changes, but there are a few things I'm a bit confused about so maybe you can help me out. Here's a list of questions I have so far.

1. Sometimes I get an item I cannot equip for no reason. This happens often with quest rewards, but also with items I loot. There is a lock displayed on the icon and I cannot equip it, but the item has no requirements I do not fulfill (like level or class). Any idea what might be the problem?
    I have yet to ever see that. Everything is supposed to level with you, but my experience has been at level 60 so far, so I don't know.

2. I wanted to try out some crafting, having a lot of (blue, 2x yellow) crafting materials from before. However, I found out I need a new "white" material that I can get from white items. The problem is, there are hardly any white items dropping. What's the supposed route to take for this? Should I make a new low-level character and farm white items? Or can I get the white material somewhere else?
    You get a lot of those with a new character starting out in Act1. You also seem to get a lot of them just being in Act1. I started a few new characters, leveled 5 or 6 levels, DE'd all of the whites, deleted them (after stashing the Common Debris) and ended up with a few hundred Common Debris.

3. As far as I can see, the boss kill achivements have been reset, and there are no longer difficulty-specific achievements (i.e. killing Skeleton King on easy gives the same achievement as in Torment). Does anyone know why they did this (both parts)?
    All of the previous achievements are now Feats of Strength. They changed it because there is only one game now, and only one game mode, just sliding difficulty.

4. The new difficulty system seems a bit weird. From what I understand is that all difficulties drop exactly the same items (at least at level 60) - is that correct? Also, I'm a bit at a loss which difficulty I should play in. I never played with Paragon levels or Monster Power; before I quit I was doing well in (old) Inferno Act I but could not kill Belial in Act II. I played a bit in Torment I, after half an hour I had replaced half of my gear, but everything seems really easy. Some mobs take a bit longer to kill, but I never died through the whole Act I.
    So my question is, what difficulty should I play (or try out) with low Paragon level and my kind of experience / gear? I like challenges but found the old Inferno difficulty way too hard.
    The different difficulties award increasing experience, gold, and the higher difficulties will drop blood shards that you can exchange for gear. Also, Torment levels are the only ones that drop the legendary parts to make Hellfire rings and also have the only enrage timers on some bosses.

Deleted
    I just came back after over a years break too so I don't know that much but..

This keeps happening to me on my wizard - it's been on helms and offhands so far, can't equip them, says they're level 60, if I try, it says you are not high enough level. I assumed it was a bug.

I have been doing butcher runs through halls of agony, almost all the armor/weapon racks drop a white item, and that breaks down into 6-8 or so common debris. I'm ending up with 100+ per run.

There is a bug out there where weapons/armor can roll as level 61 and you will not be able to wear them (you're level 60). I heard people posting about in chat the other day. May be what is occurring for you.

Signature Created by Jassinta

Deleted
    Items that you can't equip are level 61 (or higher.) If you link them in the chat, the tooltip from the chat link will show it's level as 61. The tooltip from the actual item won't show this. I got a level 59 item that I couldn't equip, it said I didn't have the level for it, I linked it in the guild chat, and the link there showed 61.

Lol I didn't know they were making all those achievements feat of strengths... bastards.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

Thanks for the details! I have some follow-up questions and things I didn't mention earlier:

* Why do some stats on items have an orange bullet next to them?

* Are cooldown reductions not shown in the action bar tooltips, or is the CD reduction I have too low to make an effect on the displayed value (e.g. Frost Nova with 5% CD reduction equipped still shows 7.5s CD)?

* Is there a way to see the damage of a specific spell? I see the general DPS value and the % value on the spell, but e.g. +lightning damage or a modifier for the specific spell do not seem to be included.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    The different difficulties award increasing experience, gold, and the higher difficulties will drop blood shards that you can exchange for gear. Also, Torment levels are the only ones that drop the legendary parts to make Hellfire rings and also have the only enrage timers on some bosses.
    Ah ok, but from the description ingame it sounds like the difference is only for level 70. Is there an actual difference betwenn Master and Torment I at level 60 (other than +Gold/XP)? As for Blood Shards, all of Expert, Master and Torment mention you get "double blood shards", so I would guess you can get them on all difficulties?

Are cooldown reductions not shown in the action bar tooltips, or is the CD reduction I have too low to make an effect on the displayed value (e.g. Frost Nova with 5% CD reduction equipped still shows 7.5s CD)?
    Tooltips do not update, my sacrifice WD always has 45 seconds on summon zombie dogs, despite them being without cd for me.

Thanks for the details! I have some follow-up questions and things I didn't mention earlier:

* Why do some stats on items have an orange bullet next to them?
    Orange bullet means the stat does not count towards the Damage, Toughness, or Health numbers. Those are the numbers used in the item comparison part of the tooltip. So basically it's stats like gold pickup radius, bonus xp, etc.